As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Young Allies: The Best YA team in Marvel

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Graphic Violence
Young Allies!

YA1.jpg

With a searing intensity of 20,858 copies sold for issue #1, Young Allies is where it's at.

The team consists of the coolest, Gravity (his mini series is collected for reading):

440px-Gravity.jpg

Firestar, fresh off her breast cancer show ever:

513158-comic_avengers_firestar_super-1.jpg

Arana, now Spider-Girl though she says not to but she never got the message from Marvel and we never saw her lose her powers in ASM #637 like the editor's note said but hey who cares they're too busy twittering:

ARANA012_colorCOV2copy2-765691.jpg

Nomad, AKA Rikki Barnes, the cool Cap sidekick from Counter Earth:

RikkiB.jpg

And Toro*:

toro.jpg

*he's an illegal immigrant so he stole the original Toro's identity (you should use Lifelock)

The book is a refreshing $3 per issue and really packs in the dialogue and has great art by David Baldeon, it really is worth a look. McKeever is hitting a good stride here returning to Marvel.

Why waste your money on that other loser YA book that never comes out, chill with the Young Allies.

TexiKen on

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    More likely - this thread reaches ten pages, or Young Allies reaches ten published issues?

It's a good book, though.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did you purposely use the worst picture possible for each of them? Why is Arana eating her web things like spaghetti?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    More likely - this thread reaches ten pages, or Young Allies reaches ten published issues?

Well I made the thread, so the book will be canceled next week.
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Did you purposely use the worst picture possible for each of them? Why is Arana eating her web things like spaghetti?

edit: I liked the Gravity, Firstar, and Arana images. I like Miyazawa's art.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

Well I made the thread, so the book will be canceled next week.
    Fencingsax wrote: »

edit: I liked the Gravity, Firstar, and Arana images. I like Miyazawa's art.

Heh, at least you won't even pretend a defense for that Nomad one )

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought YA was going to be canceled with #4?

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »

no one said this!

Furu on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So what's this new Toro's deal? He has horns? Super-strength maybe?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So what's this new Toro's deal? He has horns? Super-strength maybe?

He's a former child soldier who underwent a super-soldier treatment and gained the ability to transform into a massive dude. He can't speak English and doesn't understand the American justice system, so needless to say he's the most dangerous member of the team.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's sort of funny how the team's only two guys are treading more towards anti-hero shenanigans.

Furu on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    cshadow42 wrote: »

no one said this!
    I am saying it. Right now. Sorry in advance.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, except for Toro , everyone wears goggles heh. ( well Firestar's is gogglish, but still!)

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's sort of funny how the team's only two guys are treading more towards anti-hero shenanigans.

I wouldn't say that Gravity was going all anti-hero, he's just a little angry because lots of people died.

Anwyay, it doesn't matter because he is the coolest members of the team, so they are always going to need him.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Solar wrote: »

I wouldn't say that Gravity was going all anti-hero, he's just a little angry because lots of people died.

Anwyay, it doesn't matter because he is the coolest members of the team, so they are always going to need him.

considering he just got his ass kicked by electro while the younger three were actually going after the right person I'm not sure I'd say he's looking that cool right now

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    No one else on the team saved the universe though, cut the guy some slack. Your expectations are weighing him down like a fat criminal landing on a hero the day of his wedding.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    157_young_allies_5_02.jpg

okay, so maybe he isn't the Leader's kid

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You forgot the solicit that Marvel finally released that has nothing spoilery in them at all regarding SDCC
    YOUNG ALLIES #5
    Written by SEAN MCKEEVER
    Penciled by DAVID BALDEON
    Cover by DAVID LAFUENTE
    This is it! Our heroes' final battle against not only the Bastards of Evil, but the shocking surprise threat BEHIND the Bastards! Will the outcome bring these young allies together--or will it push them further apart? The answer isn't as obvious as you might think!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

That solicit does kinda seem like it could just be the end of series, like a quiet end similar to the Eternals series.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ...Nnnot really, dude. I'm pretty sure that's just the end of this arc.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm just saying, 5 is the magic number these days with Marvel cancels.

When I see "This is it!", it doesn't read as "end of the arc" but more "end of the series"

TexiKen on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You forgot the solicit that Marvel finally released that has nothing spoilery in them at all regarding SDCC
    YOUNG ALLIES #5
    Written by SEAN MCKEEVER
    Cover by DAVID LAFUENTE
    This is it! Our heroes' final battle against not only the Bastards of Evil, but the shocking surprise threat BEHIND the Bastards! Will the outcome bring these young allies together--or will it push them further apart? The answer isn't as obvious as you might think!

That solicit does kinda seem like it could just be the end of series, like a quiet end similar to the Eternals series.

Final usually means last, I can't imagine what other baddies these guys would fight otherwise. (I mean I can but Marvel probably won't).

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    YOUNG ALLIES #5
    Written by SEAN MCKEEVER
    Cover by DAVID LAFUENTE

Final usually means last, I can't imagine what other baddies these guys would fight otherwise. (I mean I can but Marvel probably won't).

McKeever has other things planned

holy shit can we stop jumping to conclusions?

Furu on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    YOUNG ALLIES #5
    Written by SEAN MCKEEVER
    Cover by DAVID LAFUENTE

But there's a shocking suprise threat behind the Bastards of Evil! Surely that's good for another issue or two, right?

...right?

see317 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There are other bad guys planned!

and at least one new team member!

Furu on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is it just me or does that little guy remind anyone else of little Piccolo back in the early Dragonball days?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The problem is most of us will get this in trades, but Marvel won't put out a trade before they make the decision to can it, which should be factored in to continuing the series. I don't want it to fail, I just also don't want to invest in single issues. "Damned if you do, damned if you don't."

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Then suck it up and buy singles. If you're not buying the book you lose the right to complain when it's canceled.

Furu on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This really should have been a mini series in the first place, and if successful, a series of minis.

MastaP on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Then suck it up and buy singles. If you're not buying the book you lose the right to complain when it's canceled.

I don't, because Marvel never counted my purchases anyway! :D

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I never said I'd complain.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »

That is a good point, don't they only count issues bought by comic shops and other distributors?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MastaP wrote: »
    This really should have been a mini series in the first place, and if successful, a series of minis.

Shouldn't that be every comic?

This "buy an ad filled comic you'd really rather buy in trade format but if you don't buy the comic you'll never get to buy the trade" nonesense is getting me down.

NODe on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This might sound harsh for people who like the book (sorry Texiken) but to me it's no big loss if this title does get cancelled because it's one less book for me to buy. Same with Atlas.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    holy shit can we stop jumping to conclusions?
    office_space.jpg
    jump-to-conclusions.jpg

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    people need to learn how to spell lose correctly

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kyle you're an alright guy

Furu on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I always assumed that was part of the joke.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would like to think it is part of the joke

But even intelligent people spell it wrong all the time

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The solicit for Young Allies #5 says "This is it!" and "final battle." It it the last issue?

Far from it! We're going strong into 2011 with new and old adversaries, guest-stars, and a Firestar variant cover by none other than Art Adams for #6!

Furu on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »

That is a good point, don't they only count issues bought by comic shops and other distributors?

Quite possibly, but even if not I believe they don't count issues bought outside the US, so meh.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Quite possibly, but even if not I believe they don't count issues bought outside the US, so meh.

Yeah, I don't think issues bought in the UK count. Which kind of sucks.

Solar on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How hard is it to understand? It's their final battle AGAINST someone, not their final battle full stop.
    Is it just me or does that little guy remind anyone else of little Piccolo back in the early Dragonball days?

Not just you, that's immediately what I thought of too.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg