As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dungeon Siege 3 - Obsidian's action RPG (NSF 56k)

dowondowon Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
First three screenshots

1280246251_screen_shot162.jpg

1280246251_SkeletonKing.jpg

1280246251_VodyanoiCavern.jpg

Project Director Q&A and CG teaser
IGN: Obsidian's always been known for doing a great job of embedding interesting stories into its game worlds, so can you talk about the story surrounding Dungeon Siege III and how much of an integral part of the experience it is?

Rich Taylor: We can't go into story details at this time. We can say that story is every bit as important in Dungeon Siege III as other titles we have developed at Obsidian such as Neverwinter Nights 2 and Knights of the Old Republic 2. The player will be an integral part of the story that unfolds as they progress through the adventure. There will be decisions the player has to make. These choices can impact how your party feels about you or affect the way other characters in the game respond to you. There are times when the player has to make a decision that will make one group or another unhappy, and this will have a long term effect on aspects of the story.

One of the refinements we are making to this system for Dungeon Siege III is that we are having each of these decisions have a short term, mid-term and long term affect on the game. So, you'll see the effects of your decisions constantly as you play through to the end.

dowon on

• tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I always liked the original Dungeon Siege, but I never played the second.

I'm curious to see where Obsidian takes this one.

tofu on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i heard about this a few days ago, i hope it sticks more to the original

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    tofu wrote: »

According to general internet concisous into the trash.

In my opinion into a good future. It's mostly the MOTB team by the way.

C2B on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm having a hard time discerning what is happening in that first picture.

Brian on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Then again, general internet consensus about Obsidian games is usually wrong, so....

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • thunderclumpthunderclump Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ROBOT MURLOCS

thunderclump on
    421629-1.png
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is a truly bizarre match for Obsidian, but apart from the NWN2 OC I've yet to not enjoy a product of theirs. I'm in.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »

According to general internet concisous into the trash.

In my opinion into a good future. It's mostly the MOTB team by the way.

I actually liked the second better. It had abilities you could earn by leveling up your 4 skills, so fighters and archers weren't just whacking on stuff.

captaink on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dungeon Siege 2 was very meh, but we will see.

Also, Obsidian is doing EVERYTHING these days. I really hope they get to do the Chrono Trigger sequel. :D

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DS2 was WAY better than dungeon siege 1.

Dungeon siege was probably the worst aRPG I have ever seen. Abilties?! CHARACTER CUSTOMISATION!?

WHAT ARE THOSE

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As long as it is better than Space Siege was.

Which shouldn't be too hard.

chamberlain on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Brian wrote: »
    Dude on left is swording a skeleton.

Ninja chick on right is doing a Guile-style flip kick + fire to some other skelly.

Elvenshae on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Obidian = I am excited.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Once again I am happy to see that Obsidian managed to spit in the face of the Black Isle curse.

a puddle on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dungeon Siege are Diablo-like hack 'n slash games with very little story and dialogue, so the focus is on the gameplay, and I'd argue that good gameplay is not exactly what Obsidian is known for.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Ninja chick on right is doing a Guile-style flip kick + fire to some other skelly.

Calling it a Guile-Style flip kick makes me want a Streetfighter themed action rpg so bad. I'm not quite sure how the controls for that will work, but I guess that's why I'm not a game designer.

Niceguy Myeye on
    edited July 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Calling it a Guile-Style flip kick makes me want a Streetfighter themed action rpg so bad. I'm not quite sure how the controls for that will work, but I guess that's why I'm not a game designer.

Like that one subzero MK ripoff?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the original dungeon siege story was such a piece of poop, but that did not stop me from loving it.

uwe boll making a movie based on the storyline made me stop loving it D:

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really loved DS2 for about 6 months, then got kinda bored. That being said though, game was super fun while it lasted, and I actually thought the story was cool. You can't really argue with 6 months of solid entertainment.

SJ on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Obsidian doing Dungeon Siege?

So it'll be 2/3 finished at release. The gameplay will be identical to some similar game from Bioware, but worse. It'll require some hypothetical future computer to run, even though it looks like it's 3 years old. And staying true to Dungeon Siege, the player's presence will be strictly optional. But the part of the game that's not, you know, a game, and is actually there will be well-written!
    Laugh, it's a joke.

Seriously, though, every Obsidian game has been one of those games where you have to ignore the giant elephant in the room to enjoy. In KOTOR 2, it was the lack of about 1/3 of the game. In NWN2, it was that dreadful engine. In Alpha Protocol, it was everything.

The only thing Obisidian's good at is writing, which makes me wonder why A) the writers don't find employment with a company that can make an otherwise-good game, or B) why they don't can some of these ITT tech dropouts they've apparently got designing their games and bring in some talent to match the writers.

EDIT: In all fairness, they might have the most brilliant set of designers and programmers ever. I could be completely wrong. But it's pretty clear that they seem unable to work within their budget and time constraints pretty consistently. I'd love to see what they could do if they did.

s3rial one on
    edited July 2010
    s3rial one wrote: »

EDIT: In all fairness, they might have the most brilliant set of designers and programmers ever. I could be completely wrong. But it's pretty clear that they seem unable to work within their budget and time constraints pretty consistently. I'd love to see what they could do if they did.

They have actually some good gameplay designers. Look at New Vegas when it comes out.
    I see the main problem here in another thing.

Kotor 2: Lucas Arts release date and they had a too ambious project.

NWN2: Lead design changed halfway through. Scrap that nearly to the end.

Both Add-ons were good. MOTB is probably one of the best newer rpgs and SOZ had really fun gameplay additions even if it was lacking in other departments.

Alpha Protocol: Changed again midway (With Mitsoda out of some reason leaving) not to mention the entire game was rewritten. (Also Sega basically had the complete version in 2009 and just didn't release it till Juni 10)

I still loved all of those to death anyway. Just as much as Troika games. So, I don't care.

C2B on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Obsidian = I am cautiously optimistic.

I mean, yeah, they do good games, but they can't code for shit and everything produced always feels like a diamond in a rough. Brilliant but flawed in some way. It's a shame. They could probably solve it with a better QA team.

WMain00 on
    edited July 2010
    This is also their first game with their in-house Onyx Engine. Take that as you will

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, Obsidian, can't you just focus on one game at a time?

Wait until Fallout New Vegas is finished, then pour all of your effort into Dungeon Siege.

As for the actual game, I am excited about this. I loved Dungeon Siege back in the day.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    They have 2 teams. And have actually been working on it for 2 years now

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I quit playing Dungeon Siege because of gear requirements.

Great design there. Make your attributes level up based on use and then have a strength requirement on items for a character that literally never uses strength. Oh hey your archer can use this sweet new crossb...ohhhh no your Intelligence is too low to operate it.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Never liked Obsidian.
    They make terrible games.
    Not sure if I will pick up this one despite beating DS1 and 2.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2010
    Is it just me or is the glowing tree in the DS3 trailer some bizzare refrence to Icewind Dale?
    Or does it have something to do with Dungeon Siege?

C2B on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    interests, relevant to

My hunger for arpgs cannot be sated.

desc on
    edited July 2010
    They just recycle their old ideas. Trees is all they can do.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Great design there. Make your attributes level up based on use and then have a strength requirement on items for a character that literally never uses strength. Oh hey your archer can use this sweet new crossb...ohhhh no your Intelligence is too low to operate it.

:lol:

"Good job team, we kicked that Orcs ass! Here Lothias, it dropped this sweet ass crossbow"

"Oh wow, me want, pointy fly sticks come where?" *Thunk* "Ow... eye hurts..."

Anyway, is this PC exclusive? Cause I wasn't fond of Dungeon Siege but I trust Obsidian.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is such a bizarre matchup. I am really having trouble comprehending Obsidian and the Dungeon Siege brand.

They sure do have their fingers in a lot of pies, though. They seem to have enough trouble working on one game at a time. But hopefully it's enjoyable. Obsidian's problem is that they have great ideas, but terrible execution. Whether it's game-breaking bugs or just plain old poor timing, something always happens that screws the final product. The fact that they are working on multiple large projects makes me eye this announcement with one raised eyebrow. But I'm curious, so I'll at least stick around for the show.

Hopefully they can get this out in a reasonable amount of time. If it hits within a 1-2 month window of Diablo 3, then they've wasted their time.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited July 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »

"Good job team, we kicked that Orcs ass! Here Lothias, it dropped this sweet ass crossbow"

Anyway, is this PC exclusive? Cause I wasn't fond of Dungeon Siege but I trust Obsidian.

No, one of the things that they made a point of mentioning was the co-op play on consoles (well, PCs as well)

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Crossbows are complicated weapons! 8-)

As for people who need reasurrance. Again its the big part of the Mask of the Betrayer crew and their own engine. So, with Square as the publisher this should turn out nicely.

Of course everything can happen. It's Obsidian.

My favourite quote so far concerning statements from the developers:
    Oner wrote:
    So Joseph, what will it be? Realistic medieval action or over-the-top matrix limb chopping? :shifty:

Over the top medieval matrix limb action.

That explains Ninja chick. All hail to limb-chopping! :)

C2B on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Will the game have goblin grenade launchers and assault cannons like the first one :)

They better keep the who seamless no loading ever thing, that was pretty much Dungeon Siege's 'big deal' back in the day.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hrmm, Medieval matrix limb chopping sounds cool... but the first Dungeon Siege was a snooze fest.

I will be cautiously optimistic.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited July 2010
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Will the game have goblin grenade launchers and assault cannons like the first one :)

They better keep the who seamless no loading ever thing, that was pretty much Dungeon Siege's 'big deal' back in the day.

It's actually pretty much confirmed that a similiar concept will be used with the times.

C2B on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »

It's actually pretty much confirmed that a similiar concept will be used with the times.

Not sure if you're replying to the first, second, or both parts. But there better be some goblins this time, I couldn't play 2 knowing they left out the goblins and nifty goblin weapons (well you outgrew them quickly anyways, but they were still fun for awhile).

The goblin area in the first was my favorite area in the game. Though the rock monster that shot lasers at you were pretty cool too.

Yoshua on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dungeon Siege is a bad thing.
    Obsidian is a good thing.
    I don't know what to think.

Xagarath on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dungeon Siege is a bad thing.
    Obsidian is a good thing.
    I don't know what to think.

Eclairs

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png