As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Co-Op On]Suggest me some good co-op games for the PC

The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
Alright PA font of gaming knowledge.

Been doing a lot of co-op gaming lately with some RL friends and I would like maybe a few more games than we currently have to keep things interesting and not get burned out.

What we're looking for is more RPG style games with 3-4 player co-op.

We've got Borderlands, Diablo II and Alien Swarm. We also (well 2 of us) have L4D(2), but it's not quite what we're looking for as far as wanting persistent characters and loots. It doesn't have to be a top down RPG like Diablo, we're having a blast with Borderlands.

So what are some good games maybe we haven't thought of?

The only real restriction is price. The cheaper the better.

I've got Titans Quest, from a past steam sale but I honestly never played it much and neither of my friends have it; would that be a good one, or would Diablo II be just as good?

What else is there that is fun, co-op, RPG (RPG to the borderlands minimum), and cheap?

EDIT: This is not a poll thread, and it's not a "no your game sucks" thread. I'm just looking for some suggestions and some ideas as to what the games are like and why they're good. No need to shoot eachother down, thats not what this is about.

Also, any game you suggest, if it has a demo, that would be ace if you could mention and/or link it.

EDIT EDIT: I should clarify; I'm looking at PC games, not consoles. We all either have different consoles, so that won't work.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    TraikanTraikan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Have you played either of the Neverwinter Nights games? A demo can be found here and I recommend trying it because the feel of the engine is definitely not for everyone. It's much less action and much more RPG than Diablo or Titan Quest. If you like it, NWN: Diamond (the game + both expansion packs) can be acquired at Amazon.com for $30. There's enough custom content available to basically last until you get sick of the game.

Neverwinter Nights 2 is just ok. I can't recommend it personally, but I'm sure someone else can make a good case for it.

Edit: Regarding Titan Quest VS Diablo 2, I enjoyed both. Diablo 2 is faster paced and much more polished in terms of class balance and difficulty scaling, while Titan Quest is slower paced but has an intuitive crafting system as opposed to the hideous mess that is runewords.

Start with Diablo 2 though, because in my opinion it's the better game. If you're looking for Diablo 2 but slower, turn to Titan Quest.

Traikan on
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would take NWN2 over the first any day. Also Dungeon Siege 2 is another good coop experience.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah two of us for sure have NWN, the first one.

It's ok, I really enjoyed it back when it came out; but last time I loaded it up I had a really hard time dealing with the controls and UI for whatever reason. Old graphics, I don't really care, that's not a big deal.

Never tried NWN2 though.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, Sacred is pretty good(haven't played the second) if you're looking for a monster romp like d2 with lots of content. May be a tad easy(or at least is for me)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Titan Quest is pretty similar to Diablo II -- action RPG, loot whoring, the whole nine yards -- but there are a lot more class combinations and skills. I'd say, if you can find it on sale really cheap (around holidays and special steam sales it's usually $5, but even without it's $15-20 which isn't terrible) and you get tired of D2 then it's totally worth picking up.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I got titans quest on sale on steam ages ago; but my friends don't have it. We'll look into it for sure if it comes on sale again.

I hate so much that torchlight isn't co-op and Mythos is MIA.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The original Dungeon Siege is pretty fun too (tip: the SP campaign is better constructed than the MP campaign, so if you haven't played it SP before, use that one). Also don't ever use a bow past the first 4 hours.

Freelancer is also pretty fun.

If you're looking for a shorter experience, System Shock 2 is pretty great (although I'm not 100% about how many players it supports).

Xagar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh yeah, freelancer. I freaking love that game. I totally forgot about it.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Hmm..freelancer doesn't seem to be available on any of the download sites; steam, gog, d2d.

I guess boxed is the only way to get it?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I came in here to recommend Sacred 2 and also the Dungeon Siege games. I see both franchises have been mentioned, which is great!

Sacred 2 is available on all the major download services and still holds up pretty well technology-wise. The voice acting is not amazing, as is often the case in games from smaller European studios, but it's a huge game you can play for days and days, with up to 15 other people on PC I believe.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah two of us for sure have NWN, the first one.

It's ok, I really enjoyed it back when it came out; but last time I loaded it up I had a really hard time dealing with the controls and UI for whatever reason. Old graphics, I don't really care, that's not a big deal.

Never tried NWN2 though.
    2's nice, but a good lot of itss value really depends on how creative you are with using it and the toolset. Base campaign is really kinda' meh, and Mask of the Betrayer drives throngs of people into 'sperging fits on how awesome the story is (though I suppose that makes it a bitch to play multi). People shit on Storm of Zehir because it isn't another epic wankfest like MotB, but is GREAT if you like being left to your own devices save for the occasional aheming of a story in the far background and want a good ol' classic adventure. It also doesn't have the gigantic glory hole of community content like NWN1 does.

This actually reminded me that I've always wanted to try and run a quasi-tabletop game using NWN2 to handle all the monotenous battle stuff. Time to dig out the campaign text file I was working on...

Sorenson on