As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokemon Black Market: WiFi Giveaway! Enigma Stone (Lati@s), RIGHT NOW till Aug 27

• Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blarg, sorry man, can't catch a break tonight. If the offer is still good later I'd love to take you up on it. I'll ask again when I can actually connect. Goodnight and thanks again.

If you got your connection fixed, I'm here.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    Fighting + Ground -> Gliscor, Cresselia, Gyarados, Heracross

Ground + Rock -> Bronzong, Flygon, Breloom, Torterra

Rock + Fighting -> Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Toxicroak, Gallade

Of those, Roosting Gliscor is probably the best match. Bronzong is pretty good too, but lacks reliable recovery outside of rest.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    notsoynotsoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Of that lot, Gliscor, Bronzong, Cresselia and Torterra are the only ones who would legitimately qualify as walls/tanks.

The others just abuse their resistances to walk in and smash things or set up camp (SubSeed, Dragon Dance).

notsoy on
    Soul Silver FC: 1978 3200 2285
    GT: HitoriLionheart or dailydro
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lessee...

Mew? Check.
    Celebi? Check.
    Jirachi? Check.
    Deoxys? Check.
    Manaphy? Check.
    Darkrai? Check.
    Shaymin? Check.
    Arceus? Check.

I have 'Dex entries for every one of the Bullshit Pokemon. (Traded the Mew for the Arceus, Celebi was a tradeback.)

WOOHOOOOOO

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    notsoy wrote: »
    Of that lot, Gliscor, Bronzong, Cresselia and Torterra are the only ones who would legitimately qualify as walls/tanks.

The others just abuse their resistances to walk in and smash things or set up camp (SubSeed, Dragon Dance).
    That's what tanks do actually. Switch in, take minimal damage and retaliate.

Flygon for example has a buttload of resistances, most of them being very relevant, so switching in shouldn't be a problem. It has moderate defenses (80/80/80) and Roost.

Really, you can't classify roles based on species. You wouldn't say Crobat is a tank, but it's in fact one of the best Heracross counters in the game. Its defensive uses are narrow, sure, but that doesn't mean it can't wall.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Buster BladeBuster Blade Katy, TxRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Lessee...

Mew? Check.
    Celebi? Check.
    Jirachi? Check.
    Deoxys? Check.
    Manaphy? Check.
    Darkrai? Check.
    Shaymin? Check.
    Arceus? Check.

I have 'Dex entries for every one of the Bullshit Pokemon. (Traded the Mew for the Arceus, Celebi was a tradeback.)

WOOHOOOOOO

I hate you just so you know:P

Also to the squirtle owner my FC is 4727 2309 3122
    Also this is my steam id if you want to message me to get my attention since i am bad about checking the board often. I won't be around much tomorrow morning and afternoon will be back by night time.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BusterBlade

Buster Blade on
    Steam: Buster Blade
    Xbox: CDN_Buster
    3DS: 4957-3435-6477
  • Options
    Kuroi OokamiKuroi Ookami Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't use Steam, I don't know if I can make use of that link.

The weekend might be touch and go for me. Visiting some family, things like that. If you use msn messenger/windows live, I could try and catch you on there when I'm free throughout the weekend. Otherwise we can factor in the time difference and set a time/date :P I'm good with whatever works.

Kuroi Ookami on
    3DS (Topaz) 3351-4061-2929
    Wii U Topazfalcon (yes I play MH3U, preferably with a headset/mic usage)
    Let me know if you add me on either.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Has arceus been made available yet? I have been away from this game for too long o_O

going through heartgold now O_O

Push Button / Receive Cat on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    gyarados is actually a premier defensive pokemon. 95/79/100 defensive spread with intimidate and fighting, ground, and fire resist is pretty damn good. Salamence could actually function in the same way since it has roost over rest, but people used it to blow shit up instead.

Jars on
  • Options
    Buster BladeBuster Blade Katy, TxRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't use Steam, I don't know if I can make use of that link.

The weekend might be touch and go for me. Visiting some family, things like that. If you use msn messenger/windows live, I could try and catch you on there when I'm free throughout the weekend. Otherwise we can factor in the time difference and set a time/date :P I'm good with whatever works.

I will be free all day today so just name a time and we can get to trading. FYI i live in tx so CDT.

Buster Blade on
    Steam: Buster Blade
    Xbox: CDN_Buster
    3DS: 4957-3435-6477
  • Options
    kowikowi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Its been a while since I played this game. I think I will give it a shot this weekend.

kowi on
    PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I've started participating in Smogon's weekly wi-fi tournaments, which alternate different metagames each week (Smogon OU, VGC09, VGC10, etc). The turnout isn't that big but it's nice to have a group to play with at a regular time each week regardless.

This week was VGC 2009. For those who aren't familiar with the rules, they're basically the same as VGC 2010 (double battle, 4v4, item clause, level 50) with two key differences: no ubers (as defined by TPCI) and no autoleveling. That last part is important, as it means that you can't use moves that can only be learned at level 51+ and you can't use Pokemon that evolve past level 50. So, to be more precise, that means it's a metagame without Kyogre, Groudon, or Tyranitar. Considering that I have about half a PC box full of competitively trained ice Pokemon, I figure this is a key opportunity to spam Blizzard and abuse Snow Cloak like it's going out of style.

The following is a collection of some of the most lol-worthy PKMN matches I've had to date. I'd like to have something to show off my skill as a battler, but that is most definitely not what is on display here.

MATCH 1

The first round gets off to a facepalm start right off the bat. My opponent forgot there was a level 50 cap, and I forgot to check for it until the battle was halfway over anyway. Whoops!

MATCH 2

Your Pokemon will be at my mercy when they are frozen solid! This guy was raging a little in IRC. Can't say I blame him that much!

Couldn't upload my 3rd round video 'cause the guy was using a hacked Pokemon! It had legal stats, so I didn't really care and let it slide. This was the least luck-driven match of the day, but had Glaceon not flinched from a Rock Slide I could have grabbed the win. He still straight-up outplayed me though.

MATCH 4

So I'm in the loser's bracket finals and it's a rematch of the guy I played earlier. At this point it's just getting silly. Observe my poor prediction skills and the sheer madness that the match devolves into.

MATCH 5

And the final match of the tournament comes down to another rematch, this time the guy I lost to earlier. At this point some peeps in the IRC channel are sick of me terrorizing everyone and this guy puts a stop to it with a fierce counterpick. We didn't have to use the same teams every match. Oh well.

Much lulz were had after the tourney.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I would be so much more into this game if my DS's top screen didn't have a weird coloration issue :(

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought I could finish the Normal gym today and maybe even take a challenge or two
    but earning BP is a horrible thing
    I needed 88 BP, I'm down to only needing 48BP with 13 BP currently.
    Man, finishing the Ground gym a year or two ago was sooo much easier. But that's how it goes when you don't have endless free time anymore.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ink when I had to pull a 24 hour shift I got a shitload of BP so I can get the moves hooked up for you

Got something like 130something BP

Rent on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guys, guys! I have an Azurill that spontaneously changes its gender!

RockinX on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If any of you can provide me with a low level Bulbasaur for keeps, I will give you a cookie.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know I'm late to the party, but I have to say that I hate that new legendary Pokemon. Thank God it is just a legendary.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Kuroi OokamiKuroi Ookami Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Enjoy the Squirtle Buster Blade ^^

Kuroi Ookami on
    3DS (Topaz) 3351-4061-2929
    Wii U Topazfalcon (yes I play MH3U, preferably with a headset/mic usage)
    Let me know if you add me on either.
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    I know I'm late to the party, but I have to say that I hate that new legendary Pokemon. Thank God it is just a legendary.

The only legendaries that I like are Zapdos and Ho-oh. Mewtwo is cool because I mained him in smash brothers. I can't stand the rest.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Ink when I had to pull a 24 hour shift I got a shitload of BP so I can get the moves hooked up for you

Got something like 130something BP
    I appreciate the offer, at this point though I'll just get the last few points for myself.
    and I gotta keep my secrets ya know? One of the few strengths I have with these gym teams.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    DashDash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Playing over Wi-Fi battle tower gets you a buttload of BP, provided the connection is solid. My friend and I started playing it mainly for that reason. The first run gives you something like 6-7 BP, and the more runs you win with that friend the more BP you get. I think the last win netted us 11 BP each!

Checking the pal pad... it seems we've got a record going of 35 strong. That means two more runs and we could get the Multi-Battle Ribbon! Not a big deal, but it'd be cool to have. I'm curious, do we have to play over local wireless for that to happen? Or would we have to just start over on local? I can't seem to find many specifics about this online...

Dash on
    3DS FC: 1547-5192-0677
    Pokemon Y
    Username 360/PS3/Wii U : Dasherino
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Can't answer all of those questions, but I do know that the Wi-Fi co-op records and local co-op records are separate, so if you were to start playing locally the streak would start over from 0.

But I do believe that local co-op has higher BP yields. I did two streaks with a friend and received at least 8 BP for the first one.

EDIT: Finally beat Palmer round 2 with my starter Typhlosion. Gettin' dem ribbons. So what if he was a meat shield while Starmie and Heracross did all the work!

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    and I gotta keep my secrets ya know? One of the few strengths I have with these gym teams.

==TOP SECRET==

TO: SE++

ATTEMPTED RECONNAISSANCE OF MEMBER CODENAME "LEMONJUICE" TEAM UNSUCCESSFUL STOP
    PLEASE ADVISE ON HOW TO PROCEED STOP

Rent on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    God I'm terrible with Battle Tower Trick leads. I locked my opponent into Focus Blast (5PP) and panicked since that didn't give me enough time to set up with either Scizor or Drapion and I ended up getting both of them killed. Should have just left Latias in, Charmed the other guy 3 times, and then Tricked back the Choice Scarf right before he Struggled to death so that I could Trick it onto the next guy.

Oh well, better luck next time.

EDIT: Wait Focus Blast is special, I'm doubly retarded.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    God I'm terrible with Battle Tower Trick leads. I locked my opponent into Focus Blast (5PP) and panicked since that didn't give me enough time to set up with either Scizor or Drapion and I ended up getting both of them killed. Should have just left Latias in, Charmed the other guy 3 times, and then Tricked back the Choice Scarf right before he Struggled to death so that I could Trick it onto the next guy.

Oh well, better luck next time.

EDIT: Wait Focus Blast is special, I'm doubly retarded.

Battle Tower Hax: not even real life is safe

And who was your lead that baited the Focus Blast?

notsoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    My lead was a Latias. I think the other guy had a Blaziken or something. His 2nd was a Hitmonlee.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Why the hell would Blaziken use Focus Blast on Latias O_o

You'd think Battle Tower mons would have better type coverage on the offense

notsoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Blaziken vs Latias is a pretty bad mis-match for the former on STAB typing, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was his best option on offense.

After double-checking the list, it would appear that I drew the only specially-based Blaziken in the Tower and that that was indeed the case:

358 | Blaziken | Adamant | Salac Berry | Blaze Kick | Reversal | Aerial Ace | Endure | Atk/Spe
    494 | Blaziken | Timid | Brightpowder | Blast Burn | Focus Blast | SolarBeam | Sunny Day | SpA/Spe
    630 | Blaziken | Adamant | Passho Berry | Blaze Kick | Earthquake | Shadow Claw | Stone Edge | Atk/Spe
    766 | Blaziken | Adamant | White Herb | Flare Blitz | Superpower | ThunderPunch | Night Slash | Atk/Spe

EDIT: And shut down in match #45 by Quick Claw Metagross... Man, this thing just does not want me to get my 100 streak on HeartGold.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    le sigh

Went back to SR'ing for my Jirachi

3rd attempt, hit my seed...

but got a Naive nature

I think the game is trying to tell me something

Maybe I could run a surprise T-Bolt/Flash Cannon/Grass Knot/U-turn moveset

or damn the nature, go with the old Iron Head/Punches/U-turn

notsoy on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll say it again notsoy, black staraptors are way more baller than brown ones

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, after running damage calcs, Draco Meteors don't hit Jirachi noticeably harder on account of the -SDef nature, only about a 4% gain

Unless it was Choice Specs Dialga doing the Meteor'ing

So I guess I'll stick with my Naive Jirachi

which kinda has a weird fluff to it, it's a millenia-old psychic space genie...that's naive

O_o

notsoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'll say it again notsoy, black staraptors are way more baller than brown ones

I know that

I just asked for a shiny Starly because I wanted a Starly, and you just so happened to be offering shinies

By the way, thanks a lot for that, Staraptor is a fucking boss

notsoy on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    It's asleep for most of that millennia, though

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    It's asleep for most of that millennia, though

True...

Eh, fuck it.

K, Jirachi, you're going to learn Iron Head, Fire Punch and Ice Punch, and you're going to enjoy it

notsoy on
  • Options
    runekeyrunekey Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Looks awesome. Can't wait.

Hope 3DS owners will get to use some extra features like video chat or something.

runekey on
    fss.png
    ~ www.twitter.com/runekey ~~~ PSN: RuneKey ~ Skype: RuneKey
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How do you get persuit and fake out on an aipom? Without Smergle

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Use an Aipom father with Fake Out and Pursuit.

Alternatively, Hitmontop may help.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    http://waitingforseedot.appspot.com/moveset?id=aipom&id=&m=Fake+Out&m=Pursuit

You might have to use Smeargle? I dunno.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Heart Scales and Hitmontop

notsoy on