As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] 4, now with online multiplayer!! Coming to 3DS 2013

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    fun stuff Mizuumi, thanks again for help.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    WAIT A MINUTE

GUYS

THE SERVER MAINTAINANCE WAS THIS MORNING

IT'S WEDNESDAY NOW

hurrrrrr

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • SLZMatrixSLZMatrix Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mizuumi wrote: »
    WAIT A MINUTE
    GUYS
    IT'S WEDNESDAY NOW
    hurrrrrr

DERP DERP! btw are any of the people here finishing the game who are never gonna go online again? or like me, will they stay for longer, hunting for fun rather than armor, weapons, awards, hr, etc?

SLZMatrix on
    Vicariously I Live While The Whole World Dies.
    Monster Hunter Tri : Pandion/JFRXYE Xbox360 Gamertag: GypBuster
  • AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    SLZMatrix wrote: »
    Mizuumi wrote: »
    WAIT A MINUTE
    GUYS
    IT'S WEDNESDAY NOW
    hurrrrrr

DERP DERP! btw are any of the people here finishing the game who are never gonna go online again? or like me, will they stay for longer, hunting for fun rather than armor, weapons, awards, hr, etc?
    I don't play quite as often as I used to, but I'll be sticking around at least a night or two a week for the foreseeable future.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    eh there seems to be a fairly steady influx of new people..

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll come back to 3 at some point, I just don't know when that'll be. Right now I'm splitting my gaming time between Phantasy Star Portable and MHFU.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Stryker43Stryker43 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I log on occasionally, and if someone posts that they need help on a day I can come, I'll try to make it.

Stryker43 on
    camo_sig2.png
    XBL/PSN/Origin/NNID: StrykerFL GuildWars/GW2: Anton Firemaker FFRK: erNA
    edited July 2010
    oh good, thats all reasurring. i havent really played with many PA people, mainly because i'm never available at the right times or am at the wrong times

SLZMatrix on
    edited July 2010
    you need to light the stryker signal so he can come beat monsters for you

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    I'll probably be aroundish tonight from 5-10pm est. Which means you can expect to see stryker on around those times as well.

AngrySquirrel on
    edited July 2010
    I'll probably be aroundish tonight from 5-10pm est. Which means you can expect to see stryker on around those times as well.

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNN!

Seidkona on
    edited July 2010
    good. I need to HR up to 5*. I may need to do the urgent but i already beat it before i had it unlocked so i think i don't.

I also want to throw myself against the Jho event

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okay, I'm confused. I thought the only point of the whole game was carvingup beasties to get more loots, but the OP makes it sound like the effect of having the best gear over starter gear is minimal. Why bother with a total grindfest when what you're grinding for doesn't really matter in the game? Or is the impact of gear just massively understated in the OP?

JihadJesus on
    edited July 2010
    mts wrote: »
    good. I need to HR up to 5*. I may need to do the urgent but i already beat it before i had it unlocked so i think i don't.

I also want to throw myself against the Jho event
    You will still need to do the urgent. Even if all 4 people in a room have the urgent available only the person who picked up the mission gets credit. Really annoying move on capcom's part, but tis the way it is.

AngrySquirrel on
    edited July 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Okay, I'm confused. I thought the only point of the whole game was carvingup beasties to get more loots, but the OP makes it sound like the effect of having the best gear over starter gear is minimal. Why bother with a total grindfest when what you're grinding for doesn't really matter in the game? Or is the impact of gear just massively understated in the OP?
    Massive understatement, unless of course you are god-like and never get hit. :P

AngrySquirrel on
    edited July 2010
    its weird. i am level 38 i think and it is still not unlocked even though i have beaten all the 4* quests. unless i need to cap a queropeco still, i know i hunted it, and thought i had done the cap quest. weird.

still though. Jho. you know you want to.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Key quests for ****

Hunt a Rathian, Hunt 2 Great Jaggi, Capture a Qurupeco, Hunt a Barroth, Hunt a Gobul.

Urgent avail at HR39 for hosting. HR35 required to help someone on it.

So you need 1 more rank and you will need to cap Q if you haven't. Neither should take too long tonight, assuming you show up while Stryker and I are around. The 3 of us should easily be able to handle the urgent (raths) as well, but a 4th is always welcome. :)

AngrySquirrel on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That Gobul Latern+ is a pain to get.

Shady3011 on
  • MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »

Well, good luck taking on anything past Qurupeco with leather gear and an Iron Sword+ :P

Yeah, equipment does make a big difference. The OP used the example of an OHKO with beginner armor turning to a 3HKO with good armor, but that means you have a chance to heal after the first hit or two before actually dying. If you have even a sliver of health left, you still have a chance to survive. Plus armor gives skills which can be a real boon. They can boost your stats, increase the efficacy of your gurading, make you immune to monster cries, lengthen your invulnerability period when evading... the list goes on.

Plus it makes you look BADASS. (usually)

Weapons make a big difference too. Beginners may take ten or more minutes to kill, say, an offline Great Jaggi; while with my current equipment (which is only about mid-level) I can dispatch one in under a minute.
    Not only does raw damage increase, but as you improve your weapons, their sharpness increases as well, meaning you're less likely to bounce off a monster's hard parts. Bouncing leaves you vulnerable, reduces your sharpness much more quickly, and may have a damage reduction (though I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that this is true in Tri).

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
    edited July 2010
    Taken from http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_Mechanics#Sharpness . While that page is for MH in general it does list MH3 stuffs as well and doesn't say it's any different for 3 I believe the values are correct. Personal experience also tells me there is a difference in damage between sharpness.
    Sharpness

Sharpness is the sharpness of a melee weapon, represented by the color of the little blade near the clock on the game interface. It is a very simple scalar variable which increases attack power by a percentage. The best sharpness, purple, is 150%, white: 130%, blue: 125%, green: 112.5%, yellow 100%, orange: 75%, and red is 50%. Note - These percentages represent the amount of your weapons attack power which is used when calculating damage, not straight damage. Sharpness also affects elemental damage similarly.

AngrySquirrel on
    edited July 2010
    Well yeah, sharpness does increase damage output (though the tri values are different) and I forgot to mention that, so thanks. What I was referring to, though, was damage reduction from bouncing specifically. The rumor I've heard most is that you take either a 25% or 75% reduction, but only if your sharpness is yellow or below. I haven't seen any actual evidence for it though.

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
    edited July 2010
    Ahh, yeah, not sure about bouncing reducing damage further.

Edit: I'll be around in M1G9 shorly. Stryker should be on in a few hours as well if anyone wants help with something.
    Also, thanks for that link Mizuumi, I found those charts a few weeks ago and was looking for them again the other day with no luck.

AngrySquirrel on
  • Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lance sucks.

Real bros use Switch Axe.

Black_Heart on
  • kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks to my shitty, third-party ethernet adaptor, I haven't been able to get online at all for the last week. I just got a replacement today and hopefully it won't crap out on me.

In my offline time, I managed to put a couple more bosses under my belt. I just did the quest to "drive off" Laggy and now they want me to kill a Rathian. None of the bosses have given me much of a problem, with the exception of trying to take down Barroth with a Long Sword. Do certain weapons just work better against certain mobs? I swear he was almost a cakewalk when I was using a Hammer. Qurupeco and Royal Ludroth are slaves before my Ananta Boneblade LS. I haven't tried a Gobul with the LS yet, but I managed to take him down 3 times with the Hammer.

Unfortunately I'm still in Great Jaggi armor but I'm working on gathering the mats for Qurupeco armor. I do wish to look ridiculous while killing stuff (plus I'm really digging the skills it gives). Is there a reliable way to obtain Armor Spheres? It seems way easier to get Armor Sphere + out of the Tundra for some reason...

kriegs on
    edited July 2010
    barroth has armor and a head crest that will deflect most edge weapons. others are more succeptable to paralyze etc. its a matter of finding the best choice.

best way to get armor spheres is by farming volcano but you are not there yet

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    I traded for tons of armor spheres with the Argosy captain. Then I reached the Tundra/Volcano (and started getting them as quest rewards) and facepalmed for all the commodities I'd wasted.

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
    edited July 2010
    Good hunts tonight guys.

AngrySquirrel on
    edited July 2010
    Man, Lagi armor gives you room to gem in ANYTHING. Like, seriously, I'm a little overwhelmed at the possibilities right now.

Also does anyone know a cheat code that will ensure that no rands you meet are illiterate douchehats or pompous MH elitists? Because my crippling fear of strangers is making it awfully hard to play offline when no one from PA is on.

(seriously why do you all have to get on during the same two-hour period during which I will inevitably have to eat dinner at some point)

EDIT: I'm bored. Soloing Jho.

MAKEING THIS HAPEN

Full report pending upon my return.

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
    edited July 2010
    FULL REPORT

Mental narration of events as they occured.

"Oh, hey, looks like the quest fee was the exact amount of money I had left. Weird."

(Spawned in Flooded Forest secret area above 6)

"Oh, man wish I'd brought my pickaxe."

(Jumped down and swam to 5, then 4.)

"There is nothing here. This worries me." ('It's quiet. TOO QUIET.')

(Entered area 7)

"I hear stomping, that- holy SHIT that thing looks derpy."

(It notices and approaches. I run and attempt to CAPTCHALOGUE it on the way, have to reorient camera before success. Safely on the other side of the area, I get out my Baltzenger and prepare for the roar.)

"Okay, here he comes... hey, my shield worked! Neat-o!"

(I take an attack from the side, draining 2/3 of my health.)

"...I'm gonna die."

(Fifteen seconds later, my prognisticatory abilities are confirmed.)

"Yep."

(I return to area 7 to find him still there and oddly unperturbed. He's startled again and I fail to block the roar.)

"Damn, he's pretty big."

(I manage to get off a few successful blocks, counters, and even combos.)

"For someone destined to fail, I'm doing pretty well."

(I die again. I return once more to area 7 where he still waits, though this time he remembers me.)

"Alright, it's go time."

(I get in another several hits and take two attacks, bringing my health down to two or three pixels.)

"Yeah, I can totally do this."

(I die of splash damage from a blocked tailswipe.)

"NEW RECORD"

Join me next week when I take on Jhen Mohran with nothing but an old sweatband, six toothpicks, and a Paintball!

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rant ahead on the most recent even quest.
    Fuck the two Diablos quest, fuck it so goddamn hard. Holy shit it is the worst quest in the whole game. Some people may think that two Deviljhos at once would be worse, but no. No those people would be wrong, because I am pretty sure that two Diablos is completely dependent on luck to win. There is no skill involved, because it's a total crapshoot.

First off, they're gigantic. You can't see a thing if you're near the edge of the arena, it becomes a clipping mess. You know how often you'll be near the edge of the arena? A lot, because they slide more than the cars in Auto Modellista. They are almost constantly near the edge because every time they come up from the ground they slide over to the edge.

Second, the constant raging. It's the worst thing because it means you'll never get in close. He'll always run after somebody new so you have to traipse the arena where you'll either catch up to him, have him run away again, or get hit by the second diablos that just came up under your feet.

Third, try keeping track of two Diablos at once when one keeps going underground. You can't do it, the dirt is barely noticeable in the arena, especially when you're trying to kill/dodge a different one.

Fourth, you know how in the Lagiacrus quest you had to beat the first one before the second showed up? And you know how in the two Deviljhos quest it took about two minutes before the second one showed up? Yeah fuck that, both Diablos are there right at the start. Thanks a ton Capcom.

Finally, it's CAPTURE two Diablos. So you can't even go insane on it with your best stuff and hope to kill one really quickly, no you have to completely stop, set up a trap, hope that particular Diablos runs into it, and then tranq it. It also means someone has to probably sacrifice a skill and go in with capture guru. I guess you could watch for a limp, but that's nuts.

So basically fuck that quest, it's the worst thing in the whole game. I've got clear next to every * quest and I've done every event quest released so far. That is the worst thing in the entire game by a longshot. It's not fun in basically any way. Two Deviljhos was crazy yeah, but my team did it. It took some luck and some skillful playing, but we did it. This though? The best we got was almost getting rid of one when the wrong diablos triggered the trap and then the other one came in with a rage rush, knocked us all over with his powerslide, and then went underground to get us when we were stunned.

Gilder on
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gilder did you play the PSP games? There were some ridculous quests in those. Like Unite's kill Rathalos, Tigrex, Nargacuga and Rajang in the arena in 50 minutes. Come to think of it I don't think I've done that quest yet.

Haven't played any Tri in a while on acount of me being in a cabin in the Alps. But I've started a new Unite character, running with Dual Swords. It's tricky having such a short reach but I do enjoy the mobility and I've got some awesome Ice/Poison element swords which have bee remarkably useful.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh my lord, I hate reading this thread because you make it sound SO BADASS :(

Snare on
    edited July 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    Rant ahead on the most recent even quest.
    Fuck the two Diablos quest, fuck it so goddamn hard. Holy shit it is the worst quest in the whole game. Some people may think that two Deviljhos at once would be worse, but no. No those people would be wrong, because I am pretty sure that two Diablos is completely dependent on luck to win. There is no skill involved, because it's a total crapshoot.

First off, they're gigantic. You can't see a thing if you're near the edge of the arena, it becomes a clipping mess. You know how often you'll be near the edge of the arena? A lot, because they slide more than the cars in Auto Modellista. They are almost constantly near the edge because every time they come up from the ground they slide over to the edge.

Second, the constant raging. It's the worst thing because it means you'll never get in close. He'll always run after somebody new so you have to traipse the arena where you'll either catch up to him, have him run away again, or get hit by the second diablos that just came up under your feet.

Third, try keeping track of two Diablos at once when one keeps going underground. You can't do it, the dirt is barely noticeable in the arena, especially when you're trying to kill/dodge a different one.

Fourth, you know how in the Lagiacrus quest you had to beat the first one before the second showed up? And you know how in the two Deviljhos quest it took about two minutes before the second one showed up? Yeah fuck that, both Diablos are there right at the start. Thanks a ton Capcom.

Finally, it's CAPTURE two Diablos. So you can't even go insane on it with your best stuff and hope to kill one really quickly, no you have to completely stop, set up a trap, hope that particular Diablos runs into it, and then tranq it. It also means someone has to probably sacrifice a skill and go in with capture guru. I guess you could watch for a limp, but that's nuts.

So basically fuck that quest, it's the worst thing in the whole game. I've got clear next to every * quest and I've done every event quest released so far. That is the worst thing in the entire game by a longshot. It's not fun in basically any way. Two Deviljhos was crazy yeah, but my team did it. It took some luck and some skillful playing, but we did it. This though? The best we got was almost getting rid of one when the wrong diablos triggered the trap and then the other one came in with a rage rush, knocked us all over with his powerslide, and then went underground to get us when we were stunned.
    Diabalos is still one of the few monsters that I have trouble facing. I am talking low rank diabalos. i dread having to fight him high rank, but it is coming up.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Gilder did you play the PSP games? There were some ridculous quests in those. Like Unite's kill Rathalos, Tigrex, Nargacuga and Rajang in the arena in 50 minutes. Come to think of it I don't think I've done that quest yet.

Haven't played any Tri in a while on acount of me being in a cabin in the Alps. But I've started a new Unite character, running with Dual Swords. It's tricky having such a short reach but I do enjoy the mobility and I've got some awesome Ice/Poison element swords which have bee remarkably useful.

I have been running HH's as my secondary Melee weapon but I think I'm going to move to Dual Swords. I play alone too much for the HH to really be a factor in anything.

Seidkona on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The thing about the Monster Hunter quest though, is that they come out one at a time; having 2 monsters on the screen at once is a different experience than the epic quests in Unite that have more monsters, but only one at a time. Both types of quests can suck though. Usually for different reasons.

And I cannot wait to get my dual swords back in Portable 3. Been playing a bit of Unite as well, and fondly enjoyed using those weapons dropped in Tri. Not a huge fan of the dual-elemented swords; usually better off going all in one element. The thunder-paralyze swords being an exception. And a fantastic way to fight Kushala Daora.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I haven't played the portable games really (Bought Unite, barely touched it), but both Diablos at the same time is what makes it so hard. You're just in a constant stage of fear because trying to keep track of two of them is impossible. The Deviljhos actually kept their distance a lot. Not these guys. They do give you the dragonator, but one rage hit I think breaks the platform. Against the Diablos you really only get one shot.

Gilder on
    edited July 2010
    we had a crazy moment last night while doing teh Double trouble urgent. Its a high rank Rathalos and Rathian fight at the same time.

The first time i did this, they kept their separate ways for the most part so it was a one on one battle.

for my urgent, it was not the case. we pretty much fought both of them in either in the small part of area 3 or in area 8, probably the two smallest places on deserted isle.

nuts i tell you nuts. way more hectic than bloodsport since it was all fire and poison at every angle

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Twas a fun fight and you hung in there well. So did Mizuumi. Really was a good night all around.

AngrySquirrel on
    edited July 2010
    i shall be on tonight. but nobody else will be D: (i'll still check to see if anyone does want to come(or is able to) before playing) i'm hr 35-7 (forgot) and i still need some of the Advanced low ranks (double trouble and such) then some sandy plains rathian quest. after that, some leveling, whatever you guys want basically

EDIT: any of you guys that have been on the borderlands thread ( i think one of you guys ) would laugh. someone just said "use a shotgun. basically the answer to any borderlands question" ...sound familiar?

SLZMatrix on
    edited July 2010
    So when does the Leather+ armor (and the other non-monster specific armors+, for that matter) become available? Or do you just have to upgrade the rarity of the low-rank ones? I noticed that on the wiki, the forge materials for the leather+ armor are the same as forging the leather armors then upgrading them.

And while we're at it (though I'm pretty sure this is the case), with armors like Rathian vs. Rathian+, the rarity upgrade of the normal armor is different from the armor+, right? Different skills and such?

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif