As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPad] games: Your call dropped, use new thread

• BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I was able to mute the music/sounds in Helsing's Fire... and now can't get them back on. Oh well, still an awesome game. Wish the adventure mode was longer.

You can mute them both in the options menu, but the game still shuts off whatever you're listening to when it starts up - mute or otherwise.

Bioptic on
  • chiablochiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    solsovly wrote: »
    So, someone sell me on Sword of Faragoal. I have a roguelike itch that I need to scratch. How does it stack up against my de-facto standard, RogueTouch?

Don't. It's a shitty game, the only thing it has any of the other rouges is pretty graphics.

100 Rogues is way better graphically than Fargoal. It also has a ton of humor and simple gameplay. I just wish they'd have more than just two classes. (http://www.100rogues.com/)

chiablo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just got Helsing. So great :P

GPIA7R on
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Any plans on Sid Meier's Pirates! coming to iPhone?

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Talkin of pirates, plunderland finally came out today and it's delightful. Go get it naw!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    chiablo wrote: »
    So, someone sell me on Sword of Faragoal. I have a roguelike itch that I need to scratch. How does it stack up against my de-facto standard, RogueTouch?

Don't. It's a shitty game, the only thing it has any of the other rouges is pretty graphics.

100 Rogues is way better graphically than Fargoal. It also has a ton of humor and simple gameplay. I just wish they'd have more than just two classes. (http://www.100rogues.com/)

On their site they do claim to be adding two additional classes in the future.

KalTorak on
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dungeon Solitaire is free today. Never bought it as I thought it was designed to get you to buy in game card expansions and played like boring solitare, but a) it isn't, and b) it's tremendous.

It's really hard to explain but if you like games like Magic the Gathering then you'll love it. (It's only Solitaire in the sense that you play yourself).

Lave II on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I never played Phoenix Wright till now. Man do I want to punch the prosecutor and most of the witnesses in the face.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, if it's any consolation, in the fourth(?) game you get to be the prosecutor.

Xtarath on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't believe I didn't see this until today. :lol:

904748845_TGVEs-L.jpg

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Plunderland has pretty sweet graphics.

EA has another sale going on, I may finally pick up The Sims 3. Does anyone else here have it?

Nimble Cat on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have the Sims 3, I got it in sale a while ago. It's fun for a while, but it quickly loses it's allure. There's just not that much to do. (Though for a phone version it's pretty decent)

DrunkMc on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Doodle God's an interesting one. You start with air, water, earth and fire, and you have to combine them to create different things. Fire plus earth gives you lava, while fire plus water gives you alcohol. (Heh.) You're really just dragging one picture on top of another, but it's clever, a little challenging and at $.99 plenty cheap for a game that's really only good for one runthrough.

I probably shouldn't admit how much trouble I had trying to figure out how to create sex.

Creating gold is pretty funny too:
    Combine an apple with a cellphone. Tee hee.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Doodle God's an interesting one. You start with air, water, earth and fire, and you have to combine them to create different things. Fire plus earth gives you lava, while fire plus water gives you alcohol. (Heh.) You're really just dragging one picture on top of another, but it's clever, a little challenging and at $.99 plenty cheap for a game that's really only good for one runthrough.

I probably shouldn't admit how much trouble I had trying to figure out how to create sex.

Creating gold is pretty funny too:
    Combine an apple with a cellphone. Tee hee.

Hah, I never tried that combo. There are lots of ways to create each thing, but that's a good one.

GPIA7R on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hard to beat the price of $0.00 for the Tron twin-stick tank game!

desc on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I bought an iPad today. It's pretty awesome, and I'm really digging it so far, but what are some good games to buy? I already picked up canabalt, and it looks really fantastic on the big screen. I'm thinking of getting plants vs. Zombies as well. I'm looking for easy multiplayer stuff, to play with friends and to show it off, and some more 'hardcore' games, like canabalt. Also, are there any must-have apps out there?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Ampix wrote: »
    So I bought an iPad today. It's pretty awesome, and I'm really digging it so far, but what are some good games to buy? I already picked up canabalt, and it looks really fantastic on the big screen. I'm thinking of getting plants vs. Zombies as well. I'm looking for easy multiplayer stuff, to play with friends and to show it off, and some more 'hardcore' games, like canabalt. Also, are there any must-have apps out there?

I don't know that much about the iPad, though I've heard Plants vs. Zombies looks great on it, and it's a steal at three bucks even without the minigames.

cloudeagle on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ampix wrote: »

I don't know that much about the iPad, though I've heard Plants vs. Zombies looks great on it, and it's a steal at three bucks even without the minigames.

I played the iPad version of PvZ in an Apple store - it does look great, and I'm pretty sure it includes the parts that were left out of the iPhone version like minigames.

KalTorak on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think Flight Control HD has a local multiplayer setting, where you play with a friend on the same screen - very enjoyable game. I don't have any other game with multiplayer modes, though.

For other games, Galcon Fusion is really awesome - a streamlined RTS. Space Invaders Infinity Gene looks and plays awesome on iPad - I don't remember if it's a universal app or not, but the pixely artstyle looks gorgeous either way. Same with Bit Pilot, one of my favorite Geometry Wars-style arcade games on iPhone.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

+1

100 Rogues is great now they ironed out some bugs, Item shop coming in the next update too.

Venkman90 on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    I think Flight Control HD has a local multiplayer setting, where you play with a friend on the same screen - very enjoyable game. I don't have any other game with multiplayer modes, though.

For other games, Galcon Fusion is really awesome - a streamlined RTS. Space Invaders Infinity Gene looks and plays awesome on iPad - I don't remember if it's a universal app or not, but the pixely artstyle looks gorgeous either way. Same with Bit Pilot, one of my favorite Geometry Wars-style arcade games on iPhone.

Thanks, I'll check out Flight Control HD, been hearing good things about it for a while. My girlfriend is completely hooked on Plants vs. Zombies HD, and the little (very little:x) I've played of it was a lot of fun as well. I'll check out the other games you mentioned as well.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Venkman90 wrote: »

+1

100 Rogues is great now they ironed out some bugs, Item shop coming in the next update too.

But is it a true rougelike; random items and dungeons each time?

DietarySupplement on
    edited July 2010
    Venkman90 wrote: »

+1

But is it a true rougelike; random items and dungeons each time?

Every level is randomized, as far as I can tell.

KalTorak on
    edited July 2010
    Yep, fully random with a boss every 5 floors, easy mode is just the first 5 with 10 in normal and another 10 on the way.

Wearing leather even turned my crusaders armor brown and you can see the difference in weapons when they attack. It's really polished but suffered from some bugs early on, the devs are active on the Toucharcade forums and open about the future updates.

Venkman90 on
    edited July 2010
    The genie boss level is the same every time mind. Not that it matters.

Whilst 100 rogues is probably the best roguelike on the system, I feel that Fargoal is getting an unfair treatment. In it's defence it has random levels and loot, but is streamlined very nicely and so is very tailored for the controls and nature of portable play. I like it a lot.

Lave II on
    edited July 2010
    So Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night is out, for $5.

Anyone give it a try? Here's a wonderful, wonderful description from FingerGaming:
    What is a puzzler? A miserable little pile of gems!

Sorry. The Castlevania-themed competitive puzzler Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night ($4.99) has launched for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

It was not by my hand that Castlevania Puzzle was brought to the App Store, however. It was published by Konami, who wishes to pay its classic platformer — Castlevania: Symphony of the Night — tribute.

Konami steals existing assets from Symphony of the Night and makes them its slaves, crafting a Taisen Puzzle Dama-esque puzzler that features backgrounds, music, and characters taken directly from Symphony of the Night.

Hopefully, Castlevania Puzzle’s gameplay won’t be as empty as its soul. Mankind ill needs a cheap cash-in capitalizing on gamers’ fond memories of Symphony of the Night.

But enough talk! Have (a look) at this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IROONMNWLxA&feature=player_embedded

cloudeagle on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah it's not too bad. Landscape is a bit of a weird choice and it's a touch too sensitive but good fun.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited July 2010
    I've pumped 2 hrs into it, and it should be wonderful (being basically Puzzle Fighter + Puzzle Quest), but the complete lack of challenge so far is killing it for me. I can't remember if there are difficulty levels at the start (if there were - maybe I set it too low). For the vast amount of random battles as you potter about you fight enemies and just start the puzzle match and win 20 odd seconds later, regardless of what you do. It feels disjointed and unfinished.

Spoils it for me to the extent that I can't really recommend it. It's a massive shame because a really minor tweak in difficulty would make it great.

Lave II on
  • topgamer1980topgamer1980 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I prefer the traditional Castlevania gameplay...
    how come they don't port it?
    So Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night is out, for $5.

Anyone give it a try? Here's a wonderful, wonderful description from FingerGaming:
    What is a puzzler? A miserable little pile of gems!

Sorry. The Castlevania-themed competitive puzzler Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night ($4.99) has launched for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

It was not by my hand that Castlevania Puzzle was brought to the App Store, however. It was published by Konami, who wishes to pay its classic platformer — Castlevania: Symphony of the Night — tribute.

Konami steals existing assets from Symphony of the Night and makes them its slaves, crafting a Taisen Puzzle Dama-esque puzzler that features backgrounds, music, and characters taken directly from Symphony of the Night.

Hopefully, Castlevania Puzzle’s gameplay won’t be as empty as its soul. Mankind ill needs a cheap cash-in capitalizing on gamers’ fond memories of Symphony of the Night.

But enough talk! Have (a look) at this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IROONMNWLxA&feature=player_embedded

topgamer1980 on
    edited July 2010
    If they start porting SOTN or the DS Vanias to the app store they can only charge about £5, then how do you sell them on the PSP and DS for £35?

Venkman90 on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They're already porting FFT.

admanb on
  • wetflamewetflame Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So Popcap have removed the Michael Jackson zombies from PvZ in the most recent update, which also breaks the game for the iPhone 4, after a complaint from the Michael Jackson estate. Very disappointing, especially as it's clearly parody and free use.

wetflame on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sprite ColaSprite Cola Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    admanb wrote: »

They are? sweet!

Sprite Cola on
    edited July 2010
    admanb wrote: »

Good point, maybe it varies from publisher to publisher?

Venkman90 on
    edited July 2010
    wetflame wrote: »
    So Popcap have removed the Michael Jackson zombies from PvZ in the most recent update, which also breaks the game for the iPhone 4, after a complaint from the Michael Jackson estate. Very disappointing, especially as it's clearly parody and free use.

I had heard about that, seems to still work (the game that is) on my 3G but the ratings have plummeted due to all the 4 users.

The jacko zombie hasn't been replaced by anything else? so the levels he shows up on nothing happens?

D:

Venkman90 on
  • wetflamewetflame Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've heard that in the steam version he's been replaced by a generic 70s dancing zombie with an afro, I'm assuming that'll be patched into the iphone/ipad versions also at some point.

wetflame on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you do a fresh install of PvZ it apparently works, but if you update it can stop working, so don't update anytime soon!

And that's such bullshit with the M.J. zombie; has his family ever seen Thriller? Assholes.

DrunkMc on
  • DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Re: FFT
    Don't worry guys- i'm sure Squenix will happily release it for at least the same price of Chaos Rings, or maybe go above $15?

I'd still buy it if it doesn't have the horrible lag that the PSP version had.

DusT_HounD on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anyone playing Highborn? Now that it's on OpenFeint I figure it's worth asking if anyone's up for some games.

admanb on
  • topgamer1980topgamer1980 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DusT_HounD wrote: »
    Re: FFT
    Don't worry guys- i'm sure Squenix will happily release it for at least the same price of Chaos Rings, or maybe go above $15?

I'd still buy it if it doesn't have the horrible lag that the PSP version had.

Anyone got a quick hardware comparison between iPhone 4 and PSP?

I suspect the same lagging would appear on iPhone, as the game was very graphically intense (mostly the effects)

topgamer1980 on