As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is this SNES game?

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
I believe you moved around in a side-scrolling fashion, though it was back and forth, like in the Metroid series.

It was a fantasy-type game. IE, swords and bulky armor, stuff like that. Also, magic.

Seem to recall it having RPG elements. Equipable items, possibly stats.

The final thing I recall is you found a ring of some sort in/from a fountain. I think I recall this from an old Nintendo Power walkthrough..

Magus` on

• Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sounds like Magic Sword or possibly Cadash, if they made that for the SNES. I know it was on the Genesis/Megadrive, so maybe that one.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wanderers from Ys?

kaleedity on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    kaleedity wrote: »
    Wanderers from Ys?

Yeah, I'm thinking this one. It also has rad music.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's not Magic Sword, as I'm 100% sure it was single player only

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Don't think it's Wanderers, either, but that looks like something I might wanna look into.

The art style of the game reminded me a lot of Actraiser. The ring from the fountain, I think, was something like Ring of Ice or Ring of Frost.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    Wanderers from Ys?

Yeah, I'm thinking this one. It also has rad music.

Thirding Ys. Was the first thing that came to mind with that description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy_LqDRbLYA

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, it definitely is not that.

It had a much less cartoony look to it.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    In addition I think you either froze or thawed the (indoor) fountain before you got the item.

Or maybe you used the ring on the fountain.

So fuzzy

Magus` on
  • Options
    norealskillnorealskill Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Perhaps "Dragon View"? I did some searches on "SNES", "Ring of frost", and "side scrolling". It was one of the earliest links on google after the search. The graphics remind me of Actraiser and despite that I've never played it nor does it completely fit a solid side-scroller, I felt I should at least give it a shot.

Good luck.

norealskill on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dragon View was more of a beat 'em up than a sidescroller, from what I remember. You also travelled from dungeon to dungeon through an ugly overworld in a 1st person view. He'd probably remember that.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Actually I think that IS the game.

And I never actually played it, only read about it in Nintendo Power. ;x

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh. Well then.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If it's the one game that takes place inside some big tree and the last area is in the branches, I know the one, but can't remember the name either!

I seem to remember they did a couple things with fountains in that game is why I bring it up. I think it was kneeling at them though. Also, enemies exlpoded into bread and coins!

Astale on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Isn't that an NES game called Phanax or something?

Magus` on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    If it's the one game that takes place inside some big tree and the last area is in the branches, I know the one, but can't remember the name either!

I seem to remember they did a couple things with fountains in that game is why I bring it up. I think it was kneeling at them though. Also, enemies exlpoded into bread and coins!

That sounds more like Faxanadu for the NES.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    GrygonosGrygonos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Astale wrote: »

That sounds more like Faxanadu for the NES.

Seconding Faxanadu. I specifically remember the trees and fountains being a large part of that game. I remember the coin explosion as well (I think).

For your perusal http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=faxanadu+nes&aq=1

Grygonos on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I totally remember playing a game where I had to thaw a fountain. I have no idea what it was though.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Faxanadu is a game that definitely needs a remake or a sequel.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are you sure it was side-scrolling? It may have been Soul Blazer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDwYsTHvfBI

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sounds like it was Dragon View.

Minus the crappy 1st person view field stuff the game was actually really good (since the dungeons and towns all took the 2d beat em up view). Battles were challenging but not unfair and there was a lot to do. I'd recommend it.

Sipex on
  • Options
    wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest? There was thawing of some sort in that game, can't remember is it was a tree or a fountain though.

wusoldjr on
  • Options
    UbuRoiAAUbuRoiAA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Soul Blazer was great until I couldn't find an item and couldn't go to the last world...

UbuRoiAA on
  • Options
    wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    UbuRoiAA wrote: »
    Soul Blazer was great until I couldn't find an item and couldn't go to the last world...

I beat Soul Blazer once and never played it again. I enjoyed it immensely, but there was a ridiculous amount of backtracking in that game.

wusoldjr on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Magus` wrote: »
    Don't think it's Wanderers, either, but that looks like something I might wanna look into.

Wanderers from Ys is easily the worst game in the series. Play the much superior remake, or shit do yourself a REAL favor and play Ys book I & II Eternal Complete.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't think it's Dragon View, because if he read it in a Nintendo Power magazine, and no amount of google-fu references the game being in the magazine. I was a subscriber from about Issue 25 (around the beginning of their coverage of SNES games) to well over 100 and stopped sometime after the quality started going to pot. By then, it was more on games for the N64 (I got a Playstation) and I don't remember any of issues featuring SNES games having Dragon View in it.

It definitely sounds more like Wanderers from Ys, or Faxanadu.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Illusion of Gaia?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nintendo Power definitely had a short section for Dragon View, like a one page thing which focused on RPGs or something, I remember this because it's how I found out about the game.

It was very scarce on info though.

Sipex on