As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic 4; Now with more Jumping.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I played the leaked version of this not too long back, it's dreadful. It plays fine for the first few levels then they added in crazy mine-cart levels and horribly bad physics (ie it was possible to stand still on a vertical ramp). Judging by the video little has changed from the version that leaked out. Even if they've taken out the iffy minecart crap and fixed the physics up a little the level design was horribly uninspired.

I wanted to like it, I really did.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's not speed per say, but I think flow or pace that does it. When you can spin dash up a loop and bounce on some jumpers, it's fun. Speed is a part of it. If the lock on helps with that, all the better IMO.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's not speed per say, but I think flow or pace that does it. When you can spin dash up a loop and bounce on some jumpers, it's fun. Speed is a part of it. If the lock on helps with that, all the better IMO.

It was about momentum. The lock on works entirely against that theory. It was incredibly jarring in the Dreamcast sonic games, and all since. Moving it to 2d doesn't help. I can understand its use in a 3d space, but in a 2d homage to the classic Sonic heritage it is an absolute mess.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The_Scarab wrote: »

It was about momentum. The lock on works entirely against that theory. It was incredibly jarring in the Dreamcast sonic games, and all since. Moving it to 2d doesn't help. I can understand its use in a 3d space, but in a 2d homage to the classic Sonic heritage it is an absolute mess.

After playing it I can say it doesn't work.

At all.

It's just frustrating. There are points where you have to use it to get across a gap. Three enemies in a row, bop one, lock on to the next, bop, lock on, bop, across gap.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

After playing it I can say it doesn't work.

At all.

It's just frustrating. There are points where you have to use it to get across a gap. Three enemies in a row, bop one, lock on to the next, bop, lock on, bop, across gap.

That

That doesn't actually sound like a problem though

considering it's been a tried and tested mechanic since the Sonic Adventure games

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Instead of actually locking on, I think it would work better if you could just give Sonic a sudden boost of forward momentum while in the air, and you have to either land or hit an enemy to re-charge it.

Like a horizontal double-jump
    Like in Robot Unicorn Attack?
    http://games.adultswim.com/robot-unicorn-attack-twitchy-online-game.html

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That

considering it's been a tried and tested mechanic since the Sonic Adventure games
    It is a huge problem. It slows down the game to a crawl while you wait to get across the damn gap, and there is no way to avoid it. Being tried and test doesn't mean it doesn't suck ass.

Couscous on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wait with baited breath to see how they shoehorn in something terrible that utterly ruins the game in later episodes.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    But the bottom line is that you could chain attacks together in Sonic 1 - Knuckles and you didn't need lockon. Heck, in 3 you could press jump as you hit an enemy for extra height and it all worked perfectly and flowed and the entire movement in the game was fluid and slick. Everything with lock on has pauses, jarring animations and a stop-start-stop to the movement. Which goes utterly against the way Sonic moved in the first games.

It's a crutch for a problem that never existed. Certainly not in 2d sonic games. It influences level design and changes the behaviour of enemies and Sonic himself.

Why they thought they needed to bring something 'new' to the table for Sonic 4 is beyond me. If they had literally taken the 16 bit Sonic and Knuckles engine, made new sprites, new enemies and new zones with some great new music and released that then I'm sure it would have been praised.

SEGA should literally have done a Mega Man 9/10 on this thing.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Recycling almost entirely from the first 2 games, with very little evidence of new ideas or level design.

[strike]Bad.[/strike] what they should've been doing since Sonic Adventure 2.

Sign me the fuck up.

And yes, for those concerned, the animation was just like that in the Genesis games. Sonic's feet never moved appropriately to his forward momentum until he got up to full speed. It wasn't a big deal 19 years ago, it's not a big deal now. For me, it's just something that's always been a part of 2D Sonic. This looks to be the Sonic game I've been wanting since the late 90's.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I played the leaked version of this not too long back, it's dreadful. It plays fine for the first few levels then they added in crazy mine-cart levels and horribly bad physics (ie it was possible to stand still on a vertical ramp). Judging by the video little has changed from the version that leaked out. Even if they've taken out the iffy minecart crap and fixed the physics up a little the level design was horribly uninspired.

I wanted to like it, I really did.

I'm pretty sure those were taken out after the leaked videos and the fan outcry.

Frem on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Triple B wrote: »
    Recycling almost entirely from the first 2 games, with very little evidence of new ideas or level design.

Sign me the fuck up.

And yes, for those concerned, the animation was just like that in the Genesis games. Sonic's feet never moved appropriately to his forward momentum until he got up to full speed. It wasn't a big deal 19 years ago, it's not a big deal now. For me, it's just something that's always been a part of 2D Sonic. This looks to be the Sonic game I've been wanting since the late 90's.

I just played through Sonic 3 and Knuckles a few weeks ago and I can guarantee that the disparity between his foot motion and his horizontal movement was not as significant there as it is here.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    That

It is a huge problem. It slows down the game to a crawl while you wait to get across the damn gap, and there is no way to avoid it. Being tried and test doesn't mean it doesn't suck ass.

Or, you know, you could jump from enemy to enemy and hold the jump button, which gives you a jump boost on the third bop, a major physics trait carried over from the original games. You know, like you'd approach this problem in the old games, like the sky walking puzzle in collision chaos zone which most people don't even know about because they lack the skill to triple jump.

Please don't talk about how inaccurate the physics are especially when complaining about "impossible, game slowing" sections.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Except the levels aren't designed for that. For example, one spring shoots you straight up, and you are supposed to lock onto the enemies. In another part, you are supposed to lock onto some enemies to destroy them before hitting a spring that sends you back to hit another spring that sends you flying forward and up.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Except the levels aren't designed for that. For example, one spring shoots you straight up, and you are supposed to lock onto the enemies. In another part, you are supposed to lock onto some enemies to destroy them before hitting a spring that sends you back to hit another spring that sends you flying forward and up.

The only required homing attacks I noticed came in mad gear zone when the move you vertically. I played up to Mad gear without using the homing jump. I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

As for the level design, they're adhering to the speed-platforming tempo of the originals. People just wanna complain. I saw someone on another forum bitch up and down about curves on ceilings where he insisted that it was impossible in the originals because it never happened. The dude kept complaining about how you stick to the walls in the new games an promised the originals didn't... Until I posted the wall-sticking routine from sonic 1's source which kicks in once you hit running speed.

People just want to complain. Sonic 4 is fine, and it's engine is a lot more similar to the originals than they even know.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    People just want to complain. Sonic 4 is fine, and it's engine is a lot more similar to the originals than they even know.

I care about this only to the extent that I don't randomly fall through the floor.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The only required homing attacks I noticed came in mad gear zone when the move you vertically. I played up to Mad gear without using the homing jump. I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

As for the level design, they're adhering to the speed-platforming tempo of the originals. People just wanna complain. I saw someone on another forum bitch up and down about curves on ceilings where he insisted that it was impossible in the originals because it never happened. The dude kept complaining about how you stick to the walls in the new games an promised the originals didn't... Until I posted the wall-sticking routine from sonic 1's source which kicks in once you hit running speed.

Even so, I predict it will be a flawed facsimile of the classics, marred by the new sonic style and poor level design. Like I said, it's the sonic cycle. Every sonic game since adventure 2 has promised in some way or another a return to the gameplay heights of the originals. And every one has fallen well short in my opinion. Except maybe the rush titles on the gba.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think what people want most is to relive what they experianced as a kid. Sadly, nostalgia only works as just that. If they released Sonic 4 in 1994 with a lock on, I'm sure people would have loved it, but because it's not exactly the same as their childhood memories, people want to have a witchhunt cause it's not my Sonic.

From what I saw, it looks like it might be fun and I am going to check it out. I haven't played a new Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2, and we know how bad that was.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They'll announce days before release that, due to internet popularity, they are adding the onion rings from Sonic 2XL in.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Even so, I predict it will be a flawed facsimile of the classics, marred by the new sonic style and poor level design. Like I said, it's the sonic cycle. Every sonic game since adventure 2 has promised in some way or another a return to the gameplay heights of the originals. And every one has fallen well short in my opinion. Except maybe the rush titles on the gba.

no they haven't and you're flat out mistaken. Intact in your last post you claimed the said unleashed was a return to roots, yet I can provide interviews from prior to the games releas where the question was straight up asked, "is this trying to return to roots?" and the answer was flat out no.

You have had your mind made up on this since before it existed. That's why I can't take your criticisms seriously.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

no they haven't and you're flat out mistaken. Intact in your last post you claimed the said unleashed was a return to roots, yet I can provide interviews from prior to the games releas where the question was straight up asked, "is this trying to return to roots?" and the answer was flat out no.

You have had your mind made up on this since before it existed. That's why I can't take your criticisms seriously.

How did you read 'gameplay roots' from 'gameplay heights'. I am talking about ultimate quality, not a copy of the gameplay style. About being a seminal title for the fun and the craftsmanship in design. I don't care if Sonic 4 is a lightgun shooter, if its good then it would be a return to the heights of greatness for the Sonic brand and a worthy successor. This is what every sonic game since has promised. No really guys, this is the one where we don't fuck it up. Every time they try something new I have hope, but the more we see the worse it looks. This is the sonic cycle. This is why I have my mind made up before it's out. Why the fuck shouldn't I? Everything that has been shown of Sonic 4 has been marred by either technical problems or flat out terrible gameplay ideas and execution.

I'm supposed to just keep an open mind on blind faith here? I expect nothing, and if they deliver nothing I'm not let down. If they bring the goods, all is redeemed.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Games can evoke a sense of nostalgia without being just a retread. New Super Mario Bros. felt new and familiar, and I loved it. Same with New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I haven't ever played a 3D Sonic, but Sonic 4 looks like what I wanted, more 2D Sonic.

And they did add stuff from game to game. Sonic 2 added the spin dash, Sonic 3 added the shields, and S3&K added lock-on that let me play as Knuckles in Sonic 2. If Sonic 4's thing is lock-on on a 2D plane then I'm okay with that.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That

Or, you know, you could jump from enemy to enemy and hold the jump button, which gives you a jump boost on the third bop, a major physics trait carried over from the original games. You know, like you'd approach this problem in the old games, like the sky walking puzzle in collision chaos zone which most people don't even know about because they lack the skill to triple jump.

Please don't talk about how inaccurate the physics.

I know I'm still on about the leaked version, which may have been fixed, but the physics were wonky as hell. Maybe they do work the same as the original sonic games but back then I probably wouldn't have noticed it. Nowadays it just looks daft. I know you're a fan TSR, but I'm just coming at this as someone who played the originals, not someone that examined them in every intricate detail, and as someone that's played more modern platform games... and from what I've played, this is really a let down.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks like it would be more fun if Sonic could wall jump.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Triple B wrote: »

Sign me the fuck up.

I just played through Sonic 3 and Knuckles a few weeks ago and I can guarantee that the disparity between his foot motion and his horizontal movement was not as significant there as it is here.

Still, it was there. It's never bothered me regardless.

Sonic 4 will be awesome, and that is all.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    Games can evoke a sense of nostalgia without being just a retread. New Super Mario Bros. felt new and familiar, and I loved it. Same with New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I haven't ever played a 3D Sonic, but Sonic 4 looks like what I wanted, more 2D Sonic.

And they did add stuff from game to game. Sonic 2 added the spin dash, Sonic 3 added the shields, and S3&K added lock-on that let me play as Knuckles in Sonic 2. If Sonic 4's thing is lock-on on a 2D plane then I'm okay with that.

I was gonna say that myself, each new sonic (the old ones) added a new combat feature.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, I'm looking forward to this. I'm sure it will have a demo, and if I like that, I can get the whole thing; if not, oh well. And if I get the game and don't like it, then I won't buy the second or subsequent installments.

But I have a pretty good feeling about it.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It might be just me, but after playing Unleashed's speed sections, this looks a little too . . . slow. Rewiring my brain to adjust to boosting at ridiculous speeds and still somehow managing to pull of pinpoint accurate maneuvers (most of the time) might be throwing off my perception, but they really are going with the "back to basics" approach with Sonic 4; hopefully the team will put more of a spring in Sonic's step in the final version. If not, there's always Colors.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would honestly be happy with more of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 Sonic/Shadow levels.

I don't know why they didn't just do that after Sonic Adventure 2.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I would honestly be happy with more of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 Sonic/Shadow levels.

Because if the sonic team knows how to do anything it's take the worst opinions for their most recent game as fact and then build the next game completely differently.

Sipex on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, for all the griping the Sonic/Shadow levels on Sonic Adventure 2 are pretty darn fun and well-made.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, for all the griping the Sonic/Shadow levels on Sonic Adventure 2 are pretty darn fun and well-made.

Yeah, but they seem to want us to play as Sonics friends.

I know why too, they think that if they add more friends then they can make extra $Texas when fan-boys buy official toys of Big the Cat.

It would work in theory (looking at you Chimpokomon) except that all the friends fucking suck and are boring.

Should just stick with Sonic and maybe Tails and Knuckles. Though I do like Metal Sonic.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm just going to point this out, at risk of my health...

Shadow the Hedgehog was pretty much nothing but running levels. You rarely had to touch the guns, and most of them were useless for normal combat. Sure, it was Shadow rather than Sonic, but it was close to 100% running stages.

---

Personally, I'm looking forward to Sonic 4. I haven't been disappointed by a modern 2D Sonic yet.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »

They're pretty much doing that in Sonic Colors.

Frem on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If this plays even remotely like the originals, I will enjoy it. They did something similar with another Genesis classic of mine recently--Rocket Knight Adventures. Was the re-boot just like the original? Not at all--he had several new abilities, and instead of charging up your jetpack to use every time, it just worked when you pressed the button. That right there was an enormous difference in gameplay. But did it detract from the experience? Not even remotely, as it was still a fun little game and got my nostalgia kick going. Mission accomplished.

This looks to channel the original, 2d games more than enough to derive enjoyment from it. Really, what more do you want?

Granted, if this turns out broken when it releases, I'll eat my words.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

This looks to channel the original, 2d games more than enough to derive enjoyment from it. Really, what more do you want?
    A game that actually focuses on being well-designed rather than trying to distract the audience with nostalgia or PR.
    The Sonic series has, one or two odd anomalies aside (ie Rush Adventure), consistently failed to produce good games since 1994.
    I don't care if it looks like the Genesis games, or like Gears of War, LSD trips, old cartoons or Tolstoy.
    I care if it's a well-designed game.
    This still looks like a lazy rehash.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

A game that actually focuses on being well-designed rather than trying to distract the audience with nostalgia or PR.
    The Sonic series has, one or two odd anomalies aside (ie Rush Adventure), consistently failed to produce good games since 1994.
    I don't care if it looks like the Genesis games, or like Gears of War, LSD trips, old cartoons or Tolstoy.

TSR says they got the physics right. That's a start. Going episodic means they can get lots of feedback, another thing they've got right. Even if this particular episode is a rehash of the older games, all this complaining about it practically guarantees that the next one won't be.

Frem on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Frem wrote: »

TSR says they got the physics right. That's a start. Going episodic means they can get lots of feedback, another thing they've got right. Even if this particular episode is a rehash of the older games, all this complaining about it practically guarantees that the next one won't be.

Then again TSR's default position on EVERY upcoming Sonic game is that it's the best ever, which included the leadup to Sonic 2006. I'm more encouraged that Sega is tweaking things. Hopefully that'll fix things.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Hugh JassHugh Jass I'm Squint Eastwood Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This looks good (graphically), but I wish it was more like Sonic Rush on the DS...

Hugh Jass on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't recall TSR's opions close to launch, but I do remember sonic06 started off very, very differently to what we ended up with.

And TSR never said anything particularly positive about Black Knight leading into it.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png