As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First Year PAX

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Frostfell wrote: »
    Try not to spend too much time in the exhibition hall- its cool to play some of the new and upcoming games, but I missed out on a lot of the smaller happenings throughout the day last year because I spent almost my entire time in the main hall.

This will be my second PAX, and I plan to diversify!

I have some ideas, but would you care to elaborate? What kinds of other smaller happenings are there, from past experience?

Imperfect on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mostly social happenings. I think it took me a couple years to realize this, but PAX's greatest asset is the calibre of its attendees and their breadth and depth of interests and experiences.

Or to put it another way, involve yourself in things that join you up with other attendees. Normal social rules for gamers in public do NOT apply at PAX -- you don't have to hide your interest and try to appear normal. Ask if anyone is up for a game.

Actually some of the most fun I've had at PAX is running a couple of newbie Paranoia games. Sure we spent about half the time making characters and talking about what's possible, about different types of play. But I enjoyed that time with PAX attendees and a roleplaying game I love FAR more than I enjoyed seeing the expo hall or getting career advice in a satellite theater.

Really, it's a totally different social environment. If you're bored waiting in a line, fire up Mario Kart on your DS, start waiting for multiplayer connections, and hold your DS aloft and say "anyone for Mario Kart?" Try that out in the real world and people will back away slowly. Try that at PAX and you'll have a full Mario Kart lobby in no time.
    I tried that after my first PAX. Nobody backed away slowly, but nobody was interested and I never tried that again. X__X

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    stuffedskullcatstuffedskullcat Head Kerfuffler? I dunno... PDXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This will be my first PAX, and I'm very excited!

I used to go to RP and Comic cons around Portland, but nothing out of state and for more than one day. Going with my friend who has been before (and talked me into going this year).

I know it will be overwhelming, but it sounds like everyone is very chill and there for similar reasons.

See you there, look for the Ghostbuster!

stuffedskullcat on
    "All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."
    -Frith, Watership Down
  • Options
    LumenadducereLumenadducere Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is my first time going to PAX, and my first time at a convention in general. I'm very excited (of course) and not entirely sure what to expect - it sounds like it'll be overwhelming at first, but I have no doubt that I'll have a blast and meet some very cool people. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Lumenadducere on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    From my experience with PAX and other conventions, I gotta say PAX is the most overwhelming one I've been to because there are so many people and so much going on. Here's a list of things I think will help newbies and even a few veterans:

Things to Bring: Bring something to snack on, a couple bottles of water, a stick of deodorant/antiperspirant, about $40 in back-up money, a comfortable pair of shoes and something easy to carry all your crap in. At some point in the weekend you're probably going to wish you had brought these things if you didn't. And when I say back-up money, I mean separate from whatever spending money you already have. Worst comes to worst, you have more money on Sunday to buy stuff or get a real meal with.

Things to Do: EAT. SLEEP. SHOWER. CHANGE YOUR CLOTHES. The first two are necessary for your continued survival and sanity, the second two are there not only for cutting down on BO, but also because it will help prevent you getting sick. Also, study the schedule in advance. Pick out two or three things that you would absolutely HATE to miss, and plan your days around those. You will not be able to make it to everything, but proper prior planning prevents piss-poor performance.

Pictures: While it isn't as bad at PAX, please don't clog up traffic by taking pictures in the middle of a hallway or path. Go to the side or find a place that isn't crowded if you're going to take someones picture, and want it to not be hurried along.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    HittingSmokeHittingSmoke Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My first PAX was last year. I was aware of PAX in the past but was generally unaware of how close it is to me.

It was quite literally one of the most moving experiences in my life. I'm a massive geek in a group of friends containing only one geek... me. I don't have anyone outside of the interwebs to talk about geek affairs with.

I was kind of shy in line to get in, but after a few lines I quickly shed my shyness and made a lot of awesome friends. Waiting in lines is one of the best parts of PAX IMO. That's where people really open up and just start bullshitting with each other. Epic conversations were had, friends were made, beers were bought.

The amount of excitement I have for this year is insane. I can't wait.

Also, don't miss Wil Wheaton's Awesome Hour. You'll regret it for the rest of your life.

HittingSmoke on
  • Options
    GalFridayGalFriday Community and Social Media Manager NovatoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is my first PAX. I am very excited! I have been to anime conventions but nothing the caliber of PAX. After looking at the panels given at PAX East I vowed to make it to Prime. Very excited!

GalFriday on
    @Ga1Friday is the twitter account I use to talk about everyday things. Sometimes work things. Lots of work things.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Totally agree with HittingSmoke.

Wil said it best [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSLDfAgbOh4&feature=related#t=9m9s]here[/vidurl]. Sure people laughed, but he was serious.

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    emperorsargosaemperorsargosa Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    First time PAX'r here. Just wanted to say hi. I'm getting the message "dont' be shy," but are there any other hidden gems to offer someone going alone? I'll be honest, I'm quite intimidated by going alone.

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you're going alone and want to make some friends/acquaintances before the show starts, check out some of the pre-game activities. Read up on the pre-pax dinner and the tri-wizard drinking tournament in particular. By the time Pax actually starts you might find yourself less alone than you thought.

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    faits wrote: »
    If you're going alone and want to make some friends/acquaintances before the show starts, check out some of the pre-game activities. Read up on the pre-pax dinner and the tri-wizard drinking tournament in particular. By the time Pax actually starts you might find yourself less alone than you thought.

This.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    AndrewgeddonAndrewgeddon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hola!

Long time Penny Arcade reader, first time PAX attendee! I've been wanting to go since the 2nd PAX, but it's never been in the cards. A bit of a "all around nerd" (Tabletop, RP, boardgames, video games, CCGs, anime, etc), so I'm really looking forward to it. Going with a friend, hoping to sign up for the TriWizard Drinking Cup and hopefully get over some of my social anxiety early in the game, heh.

Andrewgeddon on
    Mastadons beware.... The AndrewgeddoN is coming for yoooooou!
  • Options
    LiberaltugboatLiberaltugboat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Majikman13 wrote: »
    Hello all!

Official PAX newbie here. Not a Penny Arcade newbie, just a PAX newbie! I am quite excited about spending some time in the console free play area, but was wondering if there was much of a fighting game scene at past PAXes? I am trying to gauge if I should bring my arcade stick to the con or leave it at home. Also, what is the atmosphere of the free play area? Can PAX attendees bring a copy of a game to play in the free play area, or is this frowned upon?

Can't wait till Sept.

I didnt see an answer to your question so here it is...
    Console free play is the most laid back social room in all of PAX. Just go up to anyone there and they will play with you.
    As for fighting games... there are ALWAYS people playing. SF4, T6, BB, GG
    Absolutely bring you stick. Not only for free play but also for the Tourneys.
    Last but not least, the console free play room has most any game you can think of. If there is a game you really want to make sure you, have bring it with you, but more then likely they will have it. If you do bring in your own game, make sure you tell the people at the game check out, so they dont think you are stealing.

Liberaltugboat on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Cool beans. Most of the pre-party stuff is in flux since I'm taking the PAXTrain up, but I really hope we can arrive in Seattle early enough to join the tri-wizard drinking thing.

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Cool beans. Most of the pre-party stuff is in flux since I'm taking the PAXTrain up, but I really hope we can arrive in Seattle early enough to join the tri-wizard drinking thing.

You've got the wrong of it friend. PAX train is the biggest (in terms of duration) [tiny]and the best[/tiny] pre-pax activity there is. PPD gets you 2 hours to make friends, PAX train gives you 24.

You're right on the pub crawl, if only because walking the streets of Seattle with a herd of drunk wizards was one of my top experiences at PAX last year.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh believe me, looking forward to both :) (getting considerably more hyped each day. with a whole month to go i think i'll be reduced to a ball of energy by the time the train arrives)

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    First time PAX'r here. Just wanted to say hi. I'm getting the message "dont' be shy," but are there any other hidden gems to offer someone going alone? I'll be honest, I'm quite intimidated by going alone.

I'm going alone, too, and it's my first time. I'll hold your hand if you hold mine, we can jump in the nerd pool together!

MarySue on
    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • Options
    wideheavyloadwideheavyload Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Question re: table top gaming. I used to be a big Warhammer 40k nerd. But this was like 20 years ago. I would LOVE to play again, and I'm guessing that is a possibility at PAX, but clearly, with a 20 year hiatus, I no longer have my own minis. Are there "pick up" games for folks in my position, or will I have to be happy to watch others?

wideheavyload on
    The truth will set your teeth free.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Question re: table top gaming. I used to be a big Warhammer 40k nerd. But this was like 20 years ago. I would LOVE to play again, and I'm guessing that is a possibility at PAX, but clearly, with a 20 year hiatus, I no longer have my own minis. Are there "pick up" games for folks in my position, or will I have to be happy to watch others?

Games workshop doesn't have much of a presence, so probably not. But privateer press does, and they'll give you a free demo of their mini games. Perhaps that would slake your thirst for bits of metal killing each other.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Warhammer 40k nerd. But this was like 20 years ago.

The rules have changed HUGELY since then. If you even have a hope, I'd highly suggest you read the newest version of the rules :)

Having said that, I second checking out Privateer Press. WarMachine/Hordes is a really fun game, way fewer minis, and the minis themselves are pretty amazing. Should you want to revive your miniature gaming addiction on a limited basis, they are totally the way to go.

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    NullthreadNullthread Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is my first year too; been going to local gaming cons in Houston since 4 years ago, starting from college. Best thing I've ever done (there were no gaming cons where I grew up.) I'm considering cosplaying, but honestly, I'm seeing this more of a I'M GOING TO GAME MY LUNGS OUT type of con rather than I'M GOING TO PEOPLE WATCH LIKE CRAZY-- AND ENJOY MY AWESOME HEELS -- OUCH.

I'm much excited!

I do have a question for veterans-- how often do PAX attendees bring board games? I know bringing boardgames and other games are commonplace in small cons, but this is in an entirely different scale, which I am completely unfamiliar with. I'd love to know-- I want to bring Thunderstone (love that game!)

Another stray question: is steampunk around here?

Nullthread on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nullthread wrote: »
    This is my first year too; been going to local gaming cons in Houston since 4 years ago, starting from college. Best thing I've ever done (there were no gaming cons where I grew up.) I'm considering cosplaying, but honestly, I'm seeing this more of a I'M GOING TO GAME MY LUNGS OUT type of con rather than I'M GOING TO PEOPLE WATCH LIKE CRAZY-- AND ENJOY MY AWESOME HEELS -- OUCH.

I'm much excited!

I do have a question for veterans-- how often do PAX attendees bring board games? I know bringing boardgames and other games are commonplace in small cons, but this is in an entirely different scale, which I am completely unfamiliar with. I'd love to know-- I want to bring Thunderstone (love that game!)

I'd say leave your board games at home, and check em out of the board game library, but at PAX east there was but a single copy of Thunderstone, which caused some commotion at one of the Q&A's. So, maybe bring it? You might get a chance to play with Mike & Jerry.

Steampunk: I wore my light up goggles last year, they were a big hit. Justification (if you need one): Rain Slick Precipice was a steampunk genre game.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    B for BusinessB for Business Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    pax prime '10 will be my first pax. but i'm lucky i'm heading west with some real pax pros and i'll have help navigating all the awesomeness that's in store for me! making a trek from central indiana to seattle for this, i can't wait, i am SO excited.

B for Business on
    Xbox Live - Jaxon121906 10k
    PSN - B_for_Business
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I'm much excited!

I'd say leave your board games at home, and check em out of the board game library, but at PAX east there was but a single copy of Thunderstone, which caused some commotion at one of the Q&A's. So, maybe bring it? You might get a chance to play with Mike & Jerry.

Steampunk: I wore my light up goggles last year, they were a big hit. Justification (if you need one): Rain Slick Precipice was a steampunk genre game.

If there's a game you absolutely want to play and you don't mind lugging it around, I say definitely bring it. The last two years there was a shortage of Catan and also apparently everyone who checked out the copies was hiding, so I brought my own copy on day two both years.

The worst that happens is people who aren't interested in playing with you ask if they can check it out next, and you tell them no I brought this from home, but you're welcome to join in (and sometimes they do and sometimes they don't)

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just wanted to update those that are interested if you have not seent he new board for it

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=122759

Cookie/ Biscuit Brigade!! Check out their forum to learn more and to sign up to help raise donations for Child's Play!!!

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    JinkaJinka Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is my first year at PAX and I'm also going to be an enforcer. I know like...two people who are going so I'm hoping I come out of my shell (which as an Enforcer is going to be necessary xD) and make some new friends.

Jinka on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jinka wrote: »
    This is my first year at PAX and I'm also going to be an enforcer. I know like...two people who are going so I'm hoping I come out of my shell (which as an Enforcer is going to be necessary xD) and make some new friends.
    Hope that pax is the greatest experience because it should be. Also, if your a portal fan (your icon), my friend is dressing up as a companion cube. Will link photos in the costume forum and in my flickr accounts when we start. Enjoy.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    hml151 wrote: »
    Hope that pax is the greatest experience because it should be. Also, if your a portal fan (your icon), my friend is dressing up as a companion cube. Will link photos in the costume forum and in my flickr accounts when we start. Enjoy.

My friend is also dressing up as a companion cube... perhaps they will fight to the death. Or, to euthanasia in the Emergency Intelligence Incinerator

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

My friend is also dressing up as a companion cube... perhaps they will fight to the death. Or, to euthanasia in the Emergency Intelligence Incinerator

Or maybe it's the same friend! :o

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

Or maybe it's the same friend! :o

Had that thought. Pretty sure she would have mentioned if she knew another PAXer... Did she wear it to Anime Expo in LA last month?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    B for BusinessB for Business Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    pax prime '10 will be my first pax. but i'm lucky i'm heading west with some real pax pros and i'll have help navigating all the awesomeness that's in store for me! making a trek from central indiana to seattle for this, i can't wait, i am SO excited.

plus, i just put 2 and 2 together a little while ago, the rv i'm travelling in is also part of the CCST. i'm probably going to explode from all the awesomesauce being fed to me.

B for Business on
    Xbox Live - Jaxon121906 10k
    PSN - B_for_Business
  • Options
    lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hi, my name is lemongrenades and I am a PAX noob. I'm making the trip from Nebraska by myself since I am apparently the most nerdy and least poor of my friends. I've never been to a convention. I've never been west of Phoenix. Hell, I've never even traveled alone before. That said, I am more excited for PAX than you could believe (especially after reading the details of the Triwizard Drinking Tournament beforehand).

I do have a question for vets that may have been covered in the last 8 pages of this thread that you'll have to forgive me for not reading in their entirety.
    SWAG
    Is there so much that I need to have a dedicated bag just for it aside from my messenger bag?
    Is there just enough to make we want a backpack or larger Messenger bag?

lemongrenades on
  • Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hi, my name is lemongrenades and I am a PAX noob. I'm making the trip from Nebraska by myself since I am apparently the most nerdy and least poor of my friends. I've never been to a convention. I've never been west of Phoenix. Hell, I've never even traveled alone before. That said, I am more excited for PAX than you could believe (especially after reading the details of the Triwizard Drinking Tournament beforehand).

I do have a question for vets that may have been covered in the last 8 pages of this thread that you'll have to forgive me for not reading in their entirety.
    SWAG
    Is there so much that I need to have a dedicated bag just for it aside from my messenger bag?

Hi Lemongrass! I'm a noob (at least for PAX), but from what I've seen on other threads, a backpack is much preferred over a messenger bag as a backpack will distribute the weight better. As for a dedicated bag, I'd say yes, but I have absolutely nothing to base that on other my base philosophy of it's better to have "X" and not need it that the other way around

savagehart on
    Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

SWAG
    They give you swag bags which are very large. I use them for Christmas bags the next year. If you flying and not driving, you will need room in your luggage for all that sweet swag. I got 23 t-shirts, lots of posters, smaller items, toilet paper roll, and etc.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SpongeSponge Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This will be my first PAX (actually my first true con) thanks to the generous hands of Hothead Games.
    What was the coolest swag you ever gotten or wished you had gotten?
    How long does it take to get in at the start of the day? Should I get to the convention center early day of?

Sponge on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sponge wrote: »
    This will be my first PAX (actually my first true con) thanks to the generous hands of Hothead Games.
    How long does it take to get in at the start of the day? Should I get to the convention center early day of?

Nvidia Snuggie.

Hands... down.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    MrBartokomousMrBartokomous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I'm much excited!

If there's a game you absolutely want to play and you don't mind lugging it around, I say definitely bring it. The last two years there was a shortage of Catan and also apparently everyone who checked out the copies was hiding, so I brought my own copy on day two both years.

The worst that happens is people who aren't interested in playing with you ask if they can check it out next, and you tell them no I brought this from home, but you're welcome to join in (and sometimes they do and sometimes they don't)

I'd advise against bringing your own game unless playing that particular game is absolutely critically fundamental to your enjoyment of PAX. The two years I've attended thus far, I've had fantastic luck just browsing the game sign-out, finding something that looks fun, and giving it a shot. With a room full of games there's sure to be something good you haven't tried before.

MrBartokomous on
  • Options
    Majikman13Majikman13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Majikman13 wrote: »
    Hello all!

Official PAX newbie here. Not a Penny Arcade newbie, just a PAX newbie! I am quite excited about spending some time in the console free play area, but was wondering if there was much of a fighting game scene at past PAXes? I am trying to gauge if I should bring my arcade stick to the con or leave it at home. Also, what is the atmosphere of the free play area? Can PAX attendees bring a copy of a game to play in the free play area, or is this frowned upon?

Can't wait till Sept.

I didnt see an answer to your question so here it is...
    Console free play is the most laid back social room in all of PAX. Just go up to anyone there and they will play with you.
    As for fighting games... there are ALWAYS people playing. SF4, T6, BB, GG
    Absolutely bring you stick. Not only for free play but also for the Tourneys.
    Last but not least, the console free play room has most any game you can think of. If there is a game you really want to make sure you, have bring it with you, but more then likely they will have it. If you do bring in your own game, make sure you tell the people at the game check out, so they dont think you are stealing.

Thanks much for the info! I was not aware that there was going to be tourneys! I will certainly be bringing my stick, hell I might build a new one special just for PAX!

Majikman13 on
    3ox279s0939n.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

SWAG
    I agree with what others have said: it's a larger problem finding room in your luggage than having a bag to carry things with. I'd definitely bring a backpack instead of a messenger bag, if you can.

Also where in Nebraska? Omaha area? Lincoln area? Elsewhere?

mspencer on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sponge wrote: »

Guild Wars 2 art book, definitely!

Djiem on
This discussion has been closed.