As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E Discussion] Click to affirm Infidel is amazing.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Paladin in my IRL game has been performing really well. Being human gives him a good spread of NADs and he's managed to get the first two defensive magic items (+1 cloak of Resistance and +1 Plate). 22 AC at level 2, with 16/17/17 NAD spread isn't bad at all. I did manage to dump him into the lava river in the City of Brass though. They can't take that away from me.

I am curious how a ranged paladin would work out. It's certainly a viable idea.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So the Fighter At Will Wicked Strike seems pretty terrible, yeah? Str -2 vs AC, 1[W] + Str + Con, and you can use it as a melee basic attack, but the target has to be marked. Isn't that pretty much power attack, but less damage and only against marked foes?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, it's a pretty terrible power because of the attack penalty. Anything that gives you an attack penalty in 4E is almost always universally terrible, especially because there are always lots of other really great options that don't impose penalties in general.

Aegeri on
  • smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cask of Liquid Gold in a Bag of Holding is the best fake money I ever spent.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did the D&D mainsite/compendium just die for anyone else?

Edit: Nevermind!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Did the D&D mainsite/compendium just die for anyone else?

nope

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Building a level 8 Avenger for a game. Maybe it's not that I've ever reached beyond level 4 before but this item seems insanely brilliant:
    Badge of the Berserker
    This fearsome badge, crafted from bits of bone and leathery flesh, is favored by those who savor taking the fight to the enemy.

Level: 7
    Price: 2,600 gp
    Item Slot: Neck
    Enhancement: +2 Fortitude, Reflex, and Will

Property: When you charge, your movement made as part of the charge doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks.

Published in Adventurer's Vault 2, page(s) 64.

Yes please!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bear in mind that, as an Avenger, you're going to need an at-will that can be used as a Basic Attack, either by design, or by being upgraded by a feat. If you want to charge, that is.

Later on, I'm pretty sure they get encounters/dailies that can be used as a MBA on a charge, though. Maybe by 8 you'll have enough to charge a couple of times an encounter.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited July 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    Bear in mind that, as an Avenger, you're going to need an at-will that can be used as a Basic Attack, either by design, or by being upgraded by a feat. If you want to charge, that is.

Later on, I'm pretty sure they get encounters/dailies that can be used as a MBA on a charge, though. Maybe by 8 you'll have enough to charge a couple of times an encounter.

Encounter MBAs I see. At-wills I don't and I'm not seeing any feats to upgrade them. Am I mising them or is it going to have to be Melee Training Wisdom?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Encounter MBAs I see. At-wills I don't and I'm not seeing any feats to upgrade them. Am I mising them or is it going to have to be Melee Training Wisdom?

Overwhelming Strike can be used as an MBA if you worship Ioun and take Power of Skill.

EDIT: Also, I speak from experience when I say GET DAT BADGE.

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
    edited July 2010
    What Advent said.

Overwhelming Strike is upgraded to an MBA if you worship a god with the Skill domain, and take the Power of Skill feat. There may be some other similar feats Divine Power if you dredge through them, but I'm not sure.

Ioun, Correllon, Bane, and I think some Forgotten Realms gods have the Skill domain.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • GryphGryph Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I'm designing a structured skill challenge for my next game session and I'm hoping for a little feedback.

The challenge is in 3 phases and failure in any phase is designed to make the next phases harder. I'm not sure if I've hit the mark for difficulty.

Phase 1 is in a trading town and they are trying to uncover information about some mysterious amulets they found in the last session. Success or failure, they will be able to place them as originating from a planted spy for a foreign power. Failure means they were clumsy and the spy is alerted to them and will get a warning to his employers. Mechanically, I will bump the DCs a level for phase 3.

Phase 2 involves the party tracking the spy to the enemy base. The first two failures will cost them a healing surge. The third and final failure will trigger an ambush by an enemy patrol (should cost them more than 1 surge each on average). If they fail this phase, the enemy base is on full alert and they will start phase 3 with one failure.

Phase 3 is infiltrating the heavily guarded perimeter of the base. Failure in this phase will cause them to suffer a surprise round in every combat encounter in the enemy base (I've planned for 3 in a delve style format).

Do the failure penalties seem too harsh? Will failing phase 3 in particular leave them too far behind for the 3 final encounters?

They will not have an opportunity to take an extended rest once phase 2 starts, until they are finished with the rest of the adventure.

Gryph on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Being down healing surges and put up against three encounters where the NPCs are guaranteed at least a free round might be a bit tough, but I suppose that's also worst-case scenario.

I would be more careful that you don't make a puzzle which you think is solvable and really isn't (or is ridiculously difficult not having the knowledge of the entire scheme).

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Building a level 8 Avenger for a game. Maybe it's not that I've ever reached beyond level 4 before but this item seems insanely brilliant:
    Badge of the Berserker
    This fearsome badge, crafted from bits of bone and leathery flesh, is favored by those who savor taking the fight to the enemy.

Property: When you charge, your movement made as part of the charge doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks.

Yes please!
    Badge of the Berserker is ridiculous.

It let my Fighter get absolutely anywhere he wanted to be at any given time. I was literally unescapable.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited July 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Being down healing surges and put up against three encounters where the NPCs are guaranteed at least a free round might be a bit tough, but I suppose that's also worst-case scenario.

I would be more careful that you don't make a puzzle which you think is solvable and really isn't (or is ridiculously difficult not having the knowledge of the entire scheme).

I took a look at trained skill array in the party and hit a pretty broad array of skills they are trained in. Most of the primaries are easy or moderate difficulty and they have several secondary skills in each phase that can give bonuses to skill checks. Short of terrible dice luck, they shouldn't fail. I hope. I'm mostly concerned because my last campaign ended in a TPK (my first ever) and I don't want a repeat.

I'm probably being overly-concerned.

Gryph on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gryph wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

I took a look at trained skill array in the party and hit a pretty broad array of skills they are trained in. Most of the primaries are easy or moderate difficulty and they have several secondary skills in each phase that can give bonuses to skill checks. Short of terrible dice luck, they shouldn't fail. I hope. I'm mostly concerned because my last campaign ended in a TPK (my first ever) and I don't want a repeat.

I'm probably being overly-concerned.

For some reason I read "skill challenge" as "puzzle"... kinda two different things.

Worst case scenario, it'll probably be a bit rough getting through it all. Maybe instead of surprise rounds, just give the guards an initiative bonus or something... By the third fight (if it comes to it), the party will probably be pretty beat up and a free round of shots against them might do them in.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Perhaps you could balance out some of the failure penalties with some sort of bonus for very high rolls or creative use of a skill?

I agree, as written, worse case could get pretty bad, but it's assuming a lot of failures, which...well...I guess happens when you fail :)

ironzerg on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Badge of the Berserker

Yes please!
    Badge of the Berserker is ridiculous.

It let my Fighter get absolutely anywhere he wanted to be at any given time. I was literally unescapable.

I can verify that the Badge of the Berseker is an excellent, excellent item that will be useful in pretty much every encounter.

Hachface on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    is there a table out there already that has a list of HP gains per class for all classes?

edit: where "all classes" means not just the phb1 classes.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited July 2010
    What Advent said.

Overwhelming Strike is upgraded to an MBA if you worship a god with the Skill domain, and take the Power of Skill feat. There may be some other similar feats Divine Power if you dredge through them, but I'm not sure.

Ioun, Correllon, Bane, and I think some Forgotten Realms gods have the Skill domain.

:^: I'd never have noticed that myself in the character builder.

All other hot Avenger tips gladly welcomed.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2010
    There's a feat. It's called Avenging Resolution.

You should take it.

You should take it, and use a 2dX weapon, like a Heavy Flail (2d6) or a Falchion (2d4, high crit).

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You should take it.

You should take it, and use a 2dX weapon, like a Heavy Flail (2d6) or a Falchion (2d4, high crit).

I noticed this is pretty effective for races that don't get a weapon prof + damage feat. Plus, it's very nice for games where the DM throws out random weapons without much concern for what your build weapon is.

Nothing like taking feats for the Fullblade, only to have your jerk DM toss out longswords, axes and warhammers...with the Avenging Resolution feat, at least you can take advantage of them.

ironzerg on
    edited July 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Perhaps you could balance out some of the failure penalties with some sort of bonus for very high rolls or creative use of a skill?

I agree, as written, worse case could get pretty bad, but it's assuming a lot of failures, which...well...I guess happens when you fail :)

If it actually happens :lol:, I'll change it a little. No surprise round on the final encounter and I'll make sure the layout doesn't allow all of the NPCs to get an attack off with thier one surprise round.

I've also added some secondary skill checks to phase 2 to allow avoidance of the surge loss, so they won't be quite so beat up if they manage to fail their way through all 3 phases.

I appreciate the feedback. It's always helpful to bounce ideas off other people.

Gryph on
    edited July 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »

You should take it.

I noticed this is pretty effective for races that don't get a weapon prof + damage feat. Plus, it's very nice for games where the DM throws out random weapons without much concern for what your build weapon is.

Nothing like taking feats for the Fullblade, only to have your jerk DM toss out longswords, axes and warhammers...with the Avenging Resolution feat, at least you can take advantage of them.

This is what rituals are for!

I'm personally giving my group a finely crafted Battlecrazed Kobold Shortsword, hoping that the party will convert it to an Execution Axe for the Gnoll Ranger. He gets a ton of bonuses for being bloodied, after all.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited July 2010

You should take it.

Ooh. I was thinking Dwarf Weapon Training and Executioner's Axe, but you make a good argument for a Mordenkrad instead.

Decisions decisions...

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was thinking of making a fighter geared at dealing damage. I remember people talking about how fighters can make decent secondary strikers, but I am not sure I follow the details. Will an axe fighter be able to throw out decent damage if I take the right powers and take damage feats? I remember looking at greatweapon prowess and some feats that gave you con or wis bonus to damage for OAs, combat challenge attacks, and charge attacks.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was thinking of making a fighter geared at dealing damage. I remember people talking about how fighters can make decent secondary strikers, but I am not sure I follow the details. Will an axe fighter be able to throw out decent damage if I take the right powers and take damage feats? I remember looking at greatweapon prowess and some feats that gave you con or wis bonus to damage for OAs, combat challenge attacks, and charge attacks.

Multiclass Barbarian. Pick up a Rage. A Dragonborn Fighter/Barbarian with the feat Draconic Arrogance (Martial Power, I believe) and the Iron Hammer Rage can deal another +STRmod to damage on every attack for an encounter. Wield a Battlecrazed Weapon, and add +2d6 to every attack while bloodied, and you can use it to grant yourself the bloodied condition for a turn. Dragonborn can get a lot of bonuses to damage while bloodied, actually. Strength From Pain is a Fighter Feat from Martial Power that will add another +5 to damage rolls while bloodied.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm honestly surprised that Badge of the Berserker hasn't been nerfed into a +X (maybe per plus) to defenses against OAs when charging yet.

hippofant on
  • ValidityValidity Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    my online D and D group just imploded right before 10th level, because of differing views from the DM and players. I'm kind of relieved, it was getting to be more maddening than anything.

this will be the first time I haven't had a D and D game of some sort going in 1.5 years, though.

how do you find new dnd games when you're moving?

Validity on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Validity wrote: »
    my online D and D group just imploded right before 10th level, because of differing views from the DM and players. I'm kind of relieved, it was getting to be more maddening than anything.

this will be the first time I haven't had a D and D game of some sort going in 1.5 years, though.

Out of curiousity, would you care to explain what happened?

hippofant on
  • daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

When I moved, I found my current group on Meetup.com.

daniant on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I still have room for a sixth in my game Validity. We play on Monday evenings, 7pm to 10pm eastern. Right now the group really needs another striker. Arcane and psionic power sources are banned. Anything else that can do strikerish damage is good though.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    edited July 2010
    hippofant wrote: »

The DM has a vision that includes dumping a level of Forgotten Realms lore on us that Validity and I found distracting. Request to streamline storytelling a degree was met with us being informed that we are good players but had to be let go.

Going to start a Dark Sun game next month if anyone is interested. :p

smeej on
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this guy

right here

he's interested hey this guy here

<-

interrobang on
    edited July 2010
    smeej wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »

The DM has a vision that includes dumping a level of Forgotten Realms lore on us that Validity and I found distracting. Request to streamline storytelling a degree was met with us being informed that we are good players but had to be let go.

lol.

Actually this isn't the first time I've heard of this in regards to the realms. I usually have a lot of lore and similar on hand, but I don't bother going into it unless PCs express an interest. For example in my IRL game my players are in the City of Brass. Unless there is something they want to know I don't give them excessive lore and detail about the place. I give them all the pertinent parts, but unless they want more information than that I don't really try to force anything on them. Telling PCs enough and then having more when PCs want it is one of the hardest things to learn as a DM (EG not overdescribe things).

I will be starting mine hopefully just after the end of September. Depending on when Artist of Sharn finishes.

It means I have a pleasing array of settings to play with, one PoL, one Eberron and one in Dark Sun.

Aegeri on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One interesting thing I've picked up having run a couple of short-term games here is the advantage of having a custom setting: you can make up just about anything. "You want to find work guarding a caravan? Uhh... sure... there's a caravan leaving today for... uhh... Harrow...brook... Farms?"

What's the best way you guys have found to create PCs that people will remember when they become relevant? I tend to give them whimsical names and have them state their name at least a couple of times, and give them a personality that instills instant emotions. For example, one NPC had a catchphrase: "Sure as my name is Rutherford B. Siensus!" As he was going to be a thorn in the players' sides, his personality was annoying.

Also names are infinitely funnier when you steal them from former presidents.

Terrendos on
    edited July 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »

I will be starting mine hopefully just after the end of September. Depending on when Artist of Sharn finishes.

It means I have a pleasing array of settings to play with, one PoL, one Eberron and one in Dark Sun.

Hey, I need a game to do my Nick Nolte orc voice in. :winky:

Well, assuming they aren't extinct. I wish the damn Dark Sun books were out already. This has been the longest month of my life.

Terrendos wrote: »
    One interesting thing I've picked up having run a couple of short-term games here is the advantage of having a custom setting: you can make up just about anything. "You want to find work guarding a caravan? Uhh... sure... there's a caravan leaving today for... uhh... Harrow...brook... Farms?"

What's the best way you guys have found to create PCs that people will remember when they become relevant? I tend to give them whimsical names and have them state their name at least a couple of times, and give them a personality that instills instant emotions. For example, one NPC had a catchphrase: "Sure as my name is Rutherford B. Siensus!" As he was going to be a thorn in the players' sides, his personality was annoying.

I don't think our creativity was every the problem. Trying to shoehorn my character into a world that rejected him was the issue. I don't really understand the point of completely following lore; isn't the presence of the PCs a break in lore already?

That said, it's more difficult to add spontaneous elements to the game when you are using framework'd maptools, tho obviously far from impossible.

smeej on
    edited July 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »

Let the PC's make the NPC's. See my Maptool Heaven's Gate game. I had each of the players create six npc's, some of whom were allies and the other enemies. I got a ton of great npc's out of the bonus xp I granted them and it sparked a lot of nifty plot hooks I can use to ensnare the player's characters in a variety of entangling relationships.

By doing this, you're bribing your players to invest themselves into the campaign setting and it makes it much more enjoyable when those npc's they created start to show up.
    smeej wrote:
    That said, it's more difficult to add spontaneous elements to the game when you are using framework'd maptools, tho obviously far from impossible.
    Not that difficult. The first three sessions of my current MapTool game were thrown together while the players got their characters ready during the first half hour of gameplay.

SkyCaptain on
    edited July 2010
    Which of the following would people prefer for chat output of attacks in a Maptool game?
    Longbow (Standard Action, Ranged 20 • Martial, Weapon)
    Target: Earthen Brute
    Attack vs AC 16: 28 -- Critical Hit
    Damage: 10 (2 resisted)
    Hit: If the target is flanked by allies of the Elven Ranger, the target takes
    1d6 additional damage.
    Longbow (Standard Action, Ranged 20 • Martial, Weapon)
    Earthen Brute: 28 vs AC 16, 10 damage (2 resisted)
    Hit: If the target is flanked by allies of the Elven Ranger, the target takes
    1d6 additional damage.

SkyCaptain on
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I personally would prefer for the former for readability.

interrobang on
This discussion has been closed.