As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(OOC)Hunter:the Vigil, Project FORT

Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Critical Failures
What is Hunter:the Vigil?

Hunter:the Vigil is a roleplaying game set in White Wolf's reboot of the World of Darkness(nWoD). In it you play (mostly)normal people as they attempt to fight off or investigate hostile supernatural forces.

Well that seems cool, but what's Project FORT?

Project FORT is a division of Task Force:Valkyrie, a Conspiracy of hunters that exists as a top secret United States government agency dedicated to hunting down and covering up all traces of the unexplainable.

Yes, so what does Project FORT do?

By and large, FORT hunts what they call EEs (pronounced as its spelled: ee-ee’s):extra dimensional entities That's any being that comes to this world from another plane of existence: ghosts, demons, fairies, aliens, psychic mandalas, hyper-intelligent parasites, and the like. This has its effect on the hunters of this department. It's a department of fringe-dwellers and oddballs: urban shamans, former(?) cult leaders, abductees, conspiracy junkies, and the downright insane. They don’t follow protocol very well, and as a result, the conspiracy is reluctant to make use of them (often shuttling them off to various dead zones—zones which often become hot as soon as the FORT hunters start messing around).

Well, what do I need to play?

The WoD Core and Hunter:the Vigil. If you don't have either of those you can use the Hunter Quickstart Rules.

Our Intrepid Cast:
Hank Walker, Convict living at Valkyrie's whim.
(Horseshoe)
Dan Sandler, Gumshoe who's seen too much.
(cheeseliker)
Casimir Kenton, Programmer and asylum escapee.
(jdarksun)
SGT Zak Motley, Former Army Ranger.
(samurai6966)
Eleanor Richards, Reporter, In the Know.
(cj iwakura)
Vic, Smirking Shadow
(MoosehatIV)

Edith Upwards on

• Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Big Setting Post

The Area:A small town somewhere in New Mexico

Your Base of Operations:Won't look like a base. At all. Argue amongst yourselves as to what the building looks like and what purpose it served before the Cell claimed it.

Your boss:Some dude called Kenalm.

Edith Upwards on
    edited July 2010
    Alternate Mechanics:

Motivations(Replacement for Virtues and Vices): During character creation, instead of choosing a single Virtue and a single Vice, each character will instead choose three Motivations, these will serve as the drive that . Quality Motivations should be building blocks of characters that serve as insight to his story.
    Examples:Avarice, Curiosity, Duty, Glory, Love, Patriotism, Revenge, Survival, Any of the Vices that aren't Lust(Because you're not going to get freaky every other scene and Love kinda covers it), any of the Virtues.

Regaining Willpower with Motivations:
    Once per scene, a character that acts in accordance with a Motivation gains a point of Willpower. Characters may benefit from acting on multiple Motivations within a single scene to gain more than one point of Willpower, but any single Motivation may only be tapped once per scene.

Extraordinary Mortals:
    Extraordinary mortals follow the standard character creation rules, for the most part. The only difference is that Step Five of the process is Select Skill Tricks. Choose three Skills for the character that define how that character is exceptional, and then choose one Skill Trick for each of these Skills. You may choose the same Skill multiple times and wind up with two or even three Tricks in the same Skill, if you wish, or you can spread them out and make a more well-rounded character.

Skill Tricks have one of five general game effects:
    • Combat: These Tricks increase a character's efficacy in a fight. Usually this means inflicting more or more severe damage than is usually allowed for an attack. Unlike other Skill Tricks, Combat Skill Tricks always require a roll.
    Examples:Always Armed, Cripple, Multiple Strikes

• Extra Talent: Under certain circumstances, the player can add two Attributes to a given Skill roll, or add
    the character's dots in the relevant Skill to another roll (this is a variation on the Extra Talent rule, found on p. 135 of the World of Darkness Rulebook).
    Examples:Mental Healing, Expert Driver, Perfect Physique

• Penalty:The character's Skill dots act as a penalty on certain types of rolls that others make against him.
    Examples:No Web Presence, Applied Science, Security Assessment

• Story Advancement:Use of the Skill Trick grants the character access to information or an advantage that
    he didn't have before. This is the most common and probably most interesting use of Skill Tricks, but it also relies more on narrative than on game systems. Often, the effect of these Skill Tricks just happens, which means the Storyteller must provide a way for this effect to become useful in the story. This might require the Storyteller to deviate from his plan of events just a bit, which is what usually happens when players get involved anyway.
    Examples:Wearing Weapons, Myth Expert, Car Facts

• Time Saver: The Trick allows a character to bypass an obstacle, be it a literal barrier (All Doors Open), a troubling situation (Fight Dissection), or a period of waiting (Master of Red Tape). Sometimes such Tricks reduce the amount of time needed for rolls in extended action.
    Examples:Homemade Tools, Expert Trainer, Free Run

Skill Tricks do not cost Willpower, and are not usually subject to dice rolls by themselves (Combat Tricks are the most common exception). They simply work. Put simply, the Skill Trick is just what that character does. Characters can use Skill Tricks as often as they wish, with one exception. The Storyteller can rule that a Skill Trick doesn't work, or doesn't work automatically. This should only happen when the Storyteller is using a Skill Trick to highlight a plot point.

All members of Project Fort have a Specialty in Occult(EEs). If you don't have any dots in Occult you'll have the specialty the second you gain one.

Edith Upwards on
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I might post something up tomorrow or Friday. I love Hunter.

samurai6966 on
    edited July 2010
    Haha. I was thinking about getting Robert out of the closet and post him here too, jdarksun. I forgot I played that game with ya'll.

samurai6966 on
  • simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm up for this if you don't mind a role playing newbie.

simulacrum on
    edited July 2010
    I'm okay with whatever as long as you don't mind your ST being a newbie.

Edith Upwards on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    hmmmm

Egos rubs his chin in interest

Egos on
  • Red Shirt 101Red Shirt 101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, sounds interesting. And in an organization like TFV you just need a red shirt.

*Begins to brainstorm a character*

Red Shirt 101 on
    edited July 2010
    Is this gonna be more comedic or does it just sound that way? :I

Egos on
  • simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If it is, there goes my character concept. >.>

simulacrum on
    edited July 2010
    simulacrum wrote: »
    If it is, there goes my character concept. >.>

Concept reads a bit Lone Guneman-esque upon second reading. Meaning not full-blown comedic, but somewhat comedic or with comedic elements.

Egos on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hank Walker

1366423127.jpg
    The role of Hank will be played by Ron Perlman.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=197733

edit: shoot, i just used standard rules, i think... if the ST is interested I'll adjust later. anyway, this is essentially a character that's been in two paranormal game situations (one of them was a Hunter game) and both of them didn't get that far, sadly. so, going for it again with expanded backstory.

Motivations:
    Charity - Hank has been characterized as many things by prison psychiatrists, and the words that come up again are "violent" and "sociopath". However, though Hank doesn't necessarily have a lot going on in the way of emotions, he has an understanding of what is considered right and what is considered wrong... and that for most of his life he has chosen "wrong". However... there are certain kinds of "wrong" that make Hank upset. Seeing defenseless or disadvantaged people being abused or taken advantage of is something he's very familiar with from childhood. He knows it's unfair, he knows it's despicable, and he simply will not stand to see someone suffer if somewhere in his psyche he believes they don't deserve it. Hank is particularly protective of women and children, particularly if he sees or knows they are being abused or exploited -- most likely due to early life and his father, a man who took out his frustrations upon the weak... particularly Hank in his formative years and Hank's mother.

Wrath - Remember the "violent sociopath" bit? Hank has no problem with using violence as a tool to get things done. In fact, deep down in the primal part of his brain, he likes it. This is one of the parts of his psych profile that Valkyrie hopes to exploit. He's a cold-blooded killer (something that many of their agents are not), one who will inflict his innate wrath upon natural and supernatural alike. Hank has done some things in his life that would shock your average person. To him... the violence and ugliness of the world is just life. And when things get beyond his version of "just life", he can react with quick and painful wrath.

Duty - When you lack the same sense of morality of others, you have to have something to govern your behavior. To Hank, it's doing the job, whatever it is. He's worked for various gangsters and criminal syndicates during his career at low levels, and was usually known as something to "the big guy who gets stuff done". This is another reason Valkyrie sees him as useful: if he thinks of them as just another job (and he's done worse stuff for money than go after EE's), and he'll carry it out well. Though he has problems with authority, he will willingly work with the people telling him what to do so long as he's given a certain amount of respect.

Skill Tricks
    Okay so... mechanically speaking I'd like to work out the following skill tricks with the ST in a decent mechanical fashion:

Combat: Cold Blooded Killer - Hank's penchant for wrath gives him an edge, with fists, pistols, and weapons. He keeps his cool under pressure, and his composure allows him to be precise and effective in situations where others would panic. Hank gets to keep his Defense when he is making an All-Out Attack.

Extra Talent / Penalty: Tough As Hell - They say it's hard to keep a good man down. They forget how much harder it can be to keep a bad man down. Hank can take a beating. A beating that would kill or cripple a normal person? That doesn't set him back much. After all, he's spent a good deal of his life being stabbed, shot, beaten, and otherwise physically damaged. Any time Hank takes enough damage to kill him, he may a point of Willpower and his last box of damage changes to Bashing.

Story Advancement: Criminal Instinct - When things go bad, as they often do, Hank has usually avoided capture with his instincts. Where to run, where to hide, best place for an ambush, avoiding detection, outsmarting the cops, etc etc. With the jobs that Hank has had in the past, you don't survive long without a strong sense of danger and the ability to improvise yourself out of it when the sh*t hits the fan.

Backstory (warning: long)
    THUD
    "Come on, Cohen. You want to tell us, don't you? It'll get you out of this room, and you'll never have to see this guy again."
    His eyes and gold jewelry sparkling in the darkness of the slaughterhouse, he gestured back at the large ugly man, his wifebeater covered in blood, his hot breath steaming in the air.
    "You sure you don't want to say anything? Hank, ask him again."
    The large man lifted Cohen out of the pool of blood that was already spreading on the concrete floor with one hand. With the other, he smashed the man in the face with his other fist, sending the bloodied Cohen to the floor.
    "I'm going to ask you one more time, Cohen. Where. Are. My. Guns?"
    The gaze that the beaten man returned held only malice. Hank couldn't help but admire it a bit. Armando was ruthless, and Cohen didn't seem afraid of him... or of Hank. He wondered how many times he'd have to hit him. It was a casual thought. He didn't really care.
    "Boots."
    The large heel on Hank's motorcycle boot slammed into Cohen's ribs. The little man let out a small explosion of pain accompaning a cracking noise, and a single broken tooth, probably one he'd been holding in his mouth. No wonder. It was gold. Hank looked at the glimmering metal shape in the dark red pool. Beautiful. It was wrong to kick a man when he was down, yeah... it still felt kinda good. Best time, maybe.
    "A dozen TEC-9's. Was that so much to ask? Why aren't they in my guys' hands.? I promised two to Hank. He might not like that, mang. I think maybe you took my money like I was some kind of punk. It's not about the money, Cohen. I woulda paid more. But I don't like getting treated like a punk. Where. Are They."
    This time Hank started booting Cohen out of his own volition. He didn't like the cold of the warehouse, the way Armando wanted him to show off his size by wearing an undershirt, that he was beating a guy for bullshit money when he could be home watching the Raiders lose. He kicked Cohen for every inconvenience he could think of.
    "Hey, hey! Relax, guero. He can't tell me nothing if he's dead."
    Armando squatted down, trying to make sure his shoes stayed clean as possible, that his pinstriped pants and silk shirt were in no danger of being soiled. Cohen was wheezing what sounded something like words. Hank broke him. Mabye too badly. Armando got up with a smile.
    "I knew I could trust you Cohen. Hank... get rid of him."
    Hank knew all too well what those words meant. He knew it wasn't right. And he was going to do it anyway. He put on a white jacket nearby to get ready for the ugly part.
    Four men had packed themselves into the old Crown Victoria. In the driver's seat, a large framed thug in sunglasses turned the ignition as the car seemed to unwillingly shudder to live. He revved the engine, it's 8-cylinder motor suddenly roaring vigorously.
    "Are we seriously pulling a job in this piece of shit?"
    "Don't talk about my car like that, man. She's just fine."
    "Yeah? Well I don't like the idea of sitting on like... like what? Somewhere about a half mil of coke in something that might fall apart at any time!"
    "I said it's fine. And it's got good mirrors, lights, no obvious 'pull me over please' crap... also, stop trying to do the math. We just move it."
    The men took a chance to check their weapons. Hank chambered rounds into a pair of TEC-9's. 9mm. Modified for full automatic fire. Barrel shroud. High-capacity magazines. About as illegal as you could get, he mused... but then again, so was transporting narcotics. At the back of his belt was a semi-auto pistol that he didn't bother to check. He'd cleaned it that morning. He stowed the machine pistols under the driver's seat.
    "You ladies ready?"
    "Yeah," repeated the other three, one by one, as they similarly treated their own banned firearms.
    The Crown Vicky rumbled out of the warehouse near San Pedro, down a few sidestreets, and on to the Harbor Freeway.
    "The fuck, Hank? The 110?? This is going to take forever."
    "What, you're in a hurry now, Chuy? We don't look any more suspicious than the rest of the trash out here. We'll be fine. Tranqilo."
    "There's more than Cops to worry about."
    "That's right. Us, for example."
    "You're a real comedian, Hank."
    "Guys... we've got pounds of cocaine wrapped in plastic and korean newspapers shoved into baby clothes. And that's what passes for knowing what you're doing today. You can't see the humor in that?"
    The car remained relatively quiet as it moved through the hazy streets. It was hot. When the Santa Ana winds blew all bets were off. Shit blew everywhere, desert heat came down into the basin, fire departments held their breaths. Heat, chaos, trash... it's the American Dream thought Hank.
    "You know what?" Chuy spoke up again, after several minutes of silence, "No, I don't see no humor in this. Money sounds too good, we picked it up too easy, and now we just cruisin' up to Hawthorne like it's no big deal."
    "Yeah, that's what we're doing. And then, the good part, we get paid."
    "Don't seem right, Hank.
    "Of course it don't seem right. We're moving snow for a drug ring. Your cousin Armando set it up. Erika said I could trust this job. She said Kique was cool."
    "She's a bitch, man."
    "Don't call that bitch a bitch, Chuy."
    A half an hour later, Hank considered that Chuy may have been right. Sometimes a little paranoia can go a long way The cops got to the drop point way too fast, Chuy and the other two died too fast, and his TEC-9's ran out off ammo way too fast. His car got hit by .40 caliber rounds so rapidly it could have been a machine gun. Maybe it was. He wasn't even sure how many times he got shot. As he lay on the ground, the last daylight Hank saw was obscured by blood and Hawthorne's Finest pointing guns.
    The short man adjusted the red tie on his dark suit and straightened himself up before walking through the thick steel door, which locked behind him. The guard on the other side of the reinforced glass nodded at him. He pulled back the steel chair and sat down, opening the briefcase and removing some file folders before looking up at the two men opposite him. A stoic-looking guard with a shotgun stood behind a shackled man seated on the other side of the stainless steel table, a lit cigarette in his mouth.
    "Mr. Walker? I'm David Connors from the Legal Defense --"
    "Yeah, I know. Just spit it out."
    "Well, it seems that we may very well be able to appeal your death sentence."
    "Appeal."
    "Yes. Though you've already been convicted, I have a report from several doctors indicating that you were not notified of your Miranda Rights while you were concsious."
    "So what? I head that shit plenty of times."
    "Henry..." The lip of convict's scarred face snarled a bit at the mention of his given name, as the Connors earnestly put his hands together in front of him on the table. "This is very serious. We're trying to save your life."
    "Bullshit."
    "I'm serious. In the case of your arrest, there were several --"
    "Not that. You. Your whole act is bullshit. You really think you're trying to save my life?"
    "That's why I'm here, Henry. Capital Punishment was not administered in this case --"
    "No. That's bullshit again. You don't want to save a guy like me. I've already committed another murder since I was in here. He was a rapist. Turns out he used to live about three miles from me. I stabbed him in the neck with a bed-spring I twisted off and sharpened on the floor. Did you know a person can do that... David?"
    The lawyer stammered a bit and tugged at his collar.
    "What we want --"
    "What you want," barked Hank, "is some kind of award for me not getting executed. You want to be a Big Damn Hero. Right? Fuck. Off."
    "Mister Walker --"
    "I said fuck off!"
    Hank leaned back far enough to get the cigarette in his hands and flick it into Connors' face. The guard didn't move.
    "Now get out of here before I do something that makes Jasper back there club me in the back of the head. It hurts."
    The lawyer quickly shuffled his papers together, stuffed them into his briefcase, and nearly jumped out of his skin when Hank raised his knees and banged them on the table. Connors' exited somewhat desperately, banging on the door several times before he left the room. Hank stared for a moment at the cigarette burning away uselessly at the other end of the table. The guard, Jasper, finally spoke up.
    "Alright Hank... we both know the drill. I gotta put you back in."
    "Aw, come on, Jazz." Hank turned and smiled, his large teeth framed by a scarred face. "Neither of us want to go out there yet. Let me have another smoke, you take it easy for a couple minutes, and we'll get on with it then, alright."
    Jasper put another cigarette in Hank's mouth and helped him light it. Hank didn't try to drag it out to stay out of his cell... he just tried to enjoy the smoke and stop thinking.
    NPR broadcasted several pieces on Capital Punishment in various states, interviewing lawyers, victims, and death row inmates. The intent of the producers seemed to be to raise the awareness of the death penalty in the United States. Dozens of such pieces were recorded and nationally aired.
    "There are an appalling number of inmates who will be administered capital punishment in this state. Hank Walker was imprisoned a short time ago, the sole surviving criminal in a shootout in Hawthorne. Lakshmi Jones-Hernandez interviewed him recently on death row."
    "Hello, Hank. I'm -"
    "Don't[/]. Just get to what you want to ask."
    "Okay... Do you have a family, Hank?"
    "No. I'd probably turn into my Dad... or maybe I'm just too sickened at the idea."
    "What do you mean by that?"
    "I'm a criminal. I don't live like you people. It's a different world. I didn't get caught this bad for a long time. I survived. I stole food when I was a kid. I stole cars as a teenager. I grew up, it got worse. I started working for people. Assault, Battery, Arson, and things I don't even want to say. On my own time, I mugged, murdered and robbed. I shit-kicked guys into the hospital --"
    "It says here you're also guilty of rape. Is that true?"
    "No. The rest is probably true."
    "Okay... so... no family? No friends?"
    "No. Ah f*ck, I'm lying. There was this one kid, his f*cking liberal parents had to name him 'Dove'. Think about that for a second, a boy getting that name pinned on him. He watched me fix up my old Chevelle in the driveway, I showed him some stuff. He tried out for Pop Warner because of me... and he's a hell of a linebacker now. I watch the games from my car. Used to."
    "So you like kids? Why is that?"
    "Yeah. I'm not some creep in a van, if that's what you're thinking. They just aren't scared of me. They say things that aren't stupid. Kid tells me he's ugly, he's just saying what's right and it's nothing else. I like that."
    "Weren't the police concerned?"
    "Yeah. But I wasn't doing nothing wrong. Didn't even bring weapons with me went I went to watch the games."
    "Do you resent the police for profiling you?"
    "Profiling? No. They should profile guys like me. Look at where I am. I'm a murderer. Yeah, I don't like Cops, but that's because I'm a criminal. And they got even more useless than cops out here with their bullsh*t planned community badge-mokeys. I know criminals when I see one."
    "What do you mean?"
    "You wouldn't get it. I can tell a guy who's casing a house when I see one. I can tell a rapist who's looking for a place to hide so he can jump soccer-moms or their teenage daughters when they're jogging. I know a dude prowling a schoolyard when I see one. I can see guy who beats his wife and kids when after work. We used to have little 'talks' sometimes."
    "You protected your neighborhood?"
    "No. I protected myself."
    "From who?"
    "Normal people."
    "You made a bond with that child though?"
    "Different. He's a kid. They still got things in common with me."
    "So you played football?"
    "Yeah. Boxed a little too. Wasn't that good. Glass jaw."
    "It sounds like you lived in a residential area."
    "You already had my address. Yes. Nice neighborhood. No sense in hiding when everyone knows you're a thug. I wasn't popular."
    "What does that mean?"
    "I'm not a nice guy. You don't understand that, do you? You got your shiny shoes, you ask dumb questions, and you're too good looking. You're not a person, you're a target."
    *cough*
    "Was that a question? Yeah, I smoke. And I'm going to finish it."
    "Can you describe what happened that fatal day in June?"
    "This is how you talk? 'That fatal day in June'? Everyone knows what happened. Me and a few other idiots were middle men on a coke deal. The cops had us... drugs, illegal weapons, and a bunch of crimes they were itching to stick on me. We were on the street. I used the car for cover, they died getting shot in the back. I sprayed down a bunch of cops with a pair of TEC-9's. You know what that is? Whatever. They're illegal, of course. And they are not that accurate. I killed a few of them. And a little girl who was on the street. And apparently some other 'bystander' or something."
    "How do you feel about that? What was going through your mind?"
    "What are you, a psychiatrist? I don't feel anything. I was surviving. That's just the way it is."
    "What happened next?"
    "Woke up in a hospital bed surrounded by doctors and a buncha uniforms with guns. I got shot five or six times, I think. They start telling me all this shit I didn't understand 'cuz I was so doped up and eventually I ended up here."
    "So you survived being gunned down by the police while the rest of your gang died?"
    "I'm lucky that way. And they weren't my gang."
    "You've been convicted of many capital offenses. Did you commit all of those?"
    "You read my file. Doesn't matter."
    But you're going to be executed tomorrow."
    "The hell you asking me something we both know already?"
    "You haven't appealed your case?"
    "No. You know that, too."
    "Are you aware of the protests being held outside the prison?"
    "They don't know me. They can't in their wildest little activist dreams imagine that I deserve to be here. They don't know that people like me are why there's prisons with electric chairs in them. F*ck 'em. Nobody's going to miss me. And it's better than getting knifed in an alley."
    This interview was never aired on NPR.
    A thud sounded upon the steel table where Hank's sleeping head was resting. He looked up. Typical questioning room: mirror with cops on the other side, concrete walls steel door, overhead lights. A dungeon with flickering flourescents. But not one he'd seen before.

The thud came from the fist of a black-suited man in sunglasses on the other side. As Hank got his bearings, he could see he was still shackled and in his orange jumpsuit.
    "Hello, Mister Walker."
    "Yeah, hi. Time for the chair, or what?"
    "Oh no, Mister Walker. You've already been executed. Whether or not you are actually alive or dead is entirely up to you."
    "Just kill me already. I've had enough of this bullshit ever since I got on Death Row."
    "Oh, I assure you. This is something entirely different. As I said: as far as anyone knows, you are dead."
    "Okay. I'm going to pretend to believe you for a while. What's the catch?"
    "The catch is: you work for us now."
    "And you would be...?"
    "Like you, we don't officially exist. We are Task Force: Valkyrie. We are an agency of the United States Government, charged with a most unconventional type of national security. There are things in this world that are unexplainable. We make sure that they are not contacted nor discovered by the public. Why? Well, this country is hard enough to control with an ignorant populace. People need to be secure. Able to go about their business and keep this country ticking. Complacent. Perhaps even happy. Not, for example, worried about being cursed by witches, or of goblins stealing their children or demons burning through their expensive wall-to-wall carpet and matching drapes."
    "Okay. So what the hell do you people actually do?"
    "We hunt down Extra-Dimensional Entities."
    "...What?"
    "EE's, as we often call them. Things that go bump in the night. Beings that come to this world from other dimensions, times, or planes of existence. What people throughout history have referred to in ways that helped them to... attempt to understand their nature. Depending upon their nature they've been called angels, demons, ghosts, faeries, wendigos, manitou, oni, dragons... and a great variety of other things."
    "What, no aliens?"
    "Oh yes, of course. The modern affectation. Thank you for reminding me."
    "Okay, so if I weren't just hallucinating because I'm in the gas chamber at the moment... why the hell would you want me?"
    "Number One: you're assumed dead. And if you say no or disobey orders, we can make sure that you are. Even if you're not particularly afraid of death... which is reason number 2. Number 3: your psychological profile describes you mostly as a cold-blooded, anti-authoritarian sociopath. To the rest of the world, this is a nuisance. To us, it is an invaluable asset in a field agent. Number 4: You have proved very... resourceful as both a criminal and a prisoner. You're a dangerous man. We need those. And lastly? You don't care what happens to you, and neither do we; so you won't take it personally."
    "This is crap."
    "Yes. I'm sure you will continue to think it is. If you just play along, you'll do fine."
    "So you gonna take these cuffs off me?"
    "No. Your first test of skill is to get out of this room. Best of luck, Mister Walker. If I'm correct, I'll see you in a few minutes."
    The black-suited figure exited, leaving alone and shackled in the room. After a quick survey, he noted that neither the table or chair were bolted to the floor. Metal table with coffeepot across room. His thick file in front of him, complete with paperclips.

Amateurs.
    The metal door slammed open, and chips of concrete fell from the white exterior wall. A black-suited man stood just outside staring at his watch, and looked up at the partially-shackled Hank Walker, his orange jumpsuit in tatters and his skin raked with claws.
    "Was it the coffee-pot, Mr. Walker? My money was on the coffee-pot."
    Hank was dazed and in disbelief. He thought about the question. Yeah, there was a coffee pot... and then somehow in its place the next second there was that... thing. He shook his head affirmatively as he tried to catch his breath.
    "They're tricky. Some sort of creature known commonly as a kind of 'Oni'. Scads of them in Japan. That was a small one, too. They tend not to take an offensive form until you get really close."
    "Damn thing..." Hank gasped, "...strong as a gorilla."
    "Five minutes. I'm impressed it gave up that early. How's it doing?"
    Hank reached behind the door, to the floor behind him. He produced a somewhat humanoid head with long black hair, red skin and fangs. The head appeared to have been ripped quite roughly from its body, but no blood nor gore dripped from it, though its one remaining eye was glassy and rolled up nearly into its skull.
    "Hm. Now I'm more impressed but this is going to mean a lot of paperwork for me, Mr. Walker."
    "Man... fuck you."
    "We'll work on your manners." The man reached into his jacket, and noticed Hank drop into a defensive position. Before the convict could leap upon him, he asked "Cigarette?"
    Hank accepted the long brown Nat Sherman cigarette that the agent produced from a gold case. He puffed at it after it was lit, unable to quite make out the strange symbol before the agent placed it back in his jacket. The man straightened his suit as Hank puffed smoke. At the time, it seemed like the best cigarette he'd ever had.
    "Welcome aboard, Mr. Walker. I'll be seeing you soon."
    Hank continued to smoke the cigarette, looking around in a daze at the white halls and similarly-clad clerks and agents who swarmed about, completely nonplussed by the fact that he'd just been mauled by some sort of "demon".

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wouldn't mind reviving my Hunter character from that same game for this, since I hardly got to use her.

Would a reporter type fit in? :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited July 2010
    A reporter would definitely fit in, and FORT takes all types.

Edith Upwards on
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If I can think of a good character, I'll join.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2010
    Got the character sheet pretty much done: Allan Klaiber. Got the bare bones of a background started, just need to work on it.

And just wanted to let you know Erich Zahn that I'll be able to post (I'm assuming it's a pbp) pretty much every day except Saturdays. I work in the morning and game with my tabletop group until late afterwords. So just wanted to let you know up front because I assume that will be the day when most everybody else will be able to post the most. So if you decide not to pick me to be in the game I understand.

Red Shirt 101 on
    edited July 2010
    Tried to update Hank with houserules - will work with ST on skill tricks.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Eleanor Richards (Reporter) (Mk.2)
    http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/2925

Brown hair(ponytail), brown eyes(bespectacled)
    An assignment in the middle of fricking nowhere. Just her luck.

The economy rental car was put into park outside of the facility; or what she'd been told was one.

Looked just as run-down and decrepit as the rest of the area.

Far cry from the city, but she supposed she was lucky to still have a job after the mess that went down there.

Eleanor exited the vehicle and headed towards the building with a satchel slung over an arm. Its contents consisted of little more than a camera, assorted writing implements, and a specialized item or two.

She was told to travel light. Didn't mean she wasn't going to come prepared.

Motivation: The Truth

(if that works)

Skill Tricks:
    •Always Investigating(Extra Talent):The character never turns his instincts off. He is always analyzing everything around him for patterns, evidence, even just simple data. Add the character’s Investigation rating to all Perception rolls (see p. 45 of the World of Darkness Rulebook).

•Encoded Message(Story Advancement):Through symbolism, cleverly disguised lettering, and knowledge of his audience, the character can embed a message within a written or artistic work. Whether it’s a hidden message in a song or an apparently boring essay that comes to life when one reads between the lines, the character can communicate a very specific set of instructions or facts without giving away his true intent. Interpreting the message correctly, of course, is up to the viewer(and this should involve an Intelligence + Wits roll).

•Master Negotiator(Time Saver):When Cutting a Deal (p. 82 of the World of Darkness Rulebook), the character always seems to know the right words to use, the right buttons to push, and the right figures to cite (correct or not) to ensure she gets the better end of the agreement. Subtract the character’s Persuasion rating from the target number of successes for the deal. If this result in a negative number, the character automatically wins the action with any rolls being required.

Backstory
    (Old)
    The reports coming in from the wire were sketchy. Lack of specifics is par for the course, except this instance was especially getting to me.

I've been watching the building for almost an hour now. Doesn't help any that the editor expects the write-up on his desk by 5:00 AM. It's almost ten at night, I bet the corpses are still warm, and I don't even have access to the crime scene.

The officer on duty looks like he's fresh from the academy. Wouldn't answer any questions; dick. Robbie says he'll get some better credentials within the hour, but with my luck, the meat wagon'll cart away the best evidence by then.

He's got ten minutes. In fifteen, I'll get what I need one way or another.

Eleanor, or Ellen as only the boldest of acquaintances might call her, went straight from graduation into her calling: written media. Her exposé on the corruption in the student council got the attention of one of the higher-ups from the AP, and a few good words got her an early internship. Within months she graduated to a small column on local affairs, and it wasn't long after that she was elevated to investigative reporting.

Eleanor's write-ups commonly make the front page of the local section; when they consist of what people want to know. Those are the articles that pay the bills.

The real focus of her efforts are lucky to receive a paragraph or two buried behind the obituaries. The more she tries to dig into the darker dealings of the city, the less her boss(or his boss, or his boss' boss) pays it any mind.

The lack of appreciation makes no difference. She just works all the harder to report on incidents that can't be ignored.

If the occasional piece on local fashion contributes to that task, it's a necessary evil.

Are the motivations open to anything, or are we using the Vice/Virtue lists?

I wanted to find a nifty picture, but none I could find matched my mental image of her.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited July 2010
    (Streetwise)Criminal Instincts is perfect as written.

(Brawl)Cold-Blooded:You get to keep your Defense when you're making an All-Out Attack.

EDIT:(Athletics)Tough As Hell:Any time you take enough damage to kill you, spend a point of Willpower and your last box of damage changes to Bashing.

Edith Upwards on
    edited July 2010
    Since we are apart of a government agency, do we need to have resources merits?

samurai6966 on
    edited July 2010
    SGT Zak Motley, Former Army Ranger (Field Intel)

Background:
    "You understand that you are to tell the truth under the Articles of the UCMJ, Sgt Motley?"
    Army Ranger Sgt Zak Motley looked very unconformable in his dress greens. "Yes, Sir."
    The Prosecutor smiled. "Good. Now tell us what happen on the night of April 23, 2009. And please, don't leave anything out."
    Sgt Motley gave the prosecutor an evil eye. "Yes, Sir."
    "I was assigned to the 721th Platoon..."
    "The 721th is also known as "The Daredevils", right? The wildest adrenaline junkies the Army recruits?"
    Motley grinned. "Yes, Sir. We are the the ones who take the biggest risk and get the best results. 'Live Wild, Die Fighting.' We were under the command of Lt. Greene. I was in charge of the Charlie Squad. Our mission that day was to find WMDs in a industrial area of Baghdad. We started late due to a sand storm and we were suppose to be back to base at 3pm. But local traffic that day slowed us down. It also allowed our targets to be tipped off. Once we got there we find two buildings, one used to store their vehicles, the other was their sleeping quarters and were they kept their weapons. By the time we got there, it was almost dark. We decided that traveling back to base at night was too dangerous. We didn't have any NVGs and driving would leave us in the open to attacks. So we put our vehicles into one building and bunked down for the night. We would sleep in shifts. 2 men watch, everyone else sleep. I woke up in the middle of the night, 30 minutes after I should have started my shift but no one had come to wake me. So I started looking around. The others were gone. Then I found Lt. Greene. He was covered in blood. I asked him what happen but he kept saying something about being hungry. Then he jumped me. I was able to get my knife out during the fight and I stabbed him. The next day, another unit came out to find us. They found everyone else in a backroom. They had been eaten. Some down to the bone. And I was arrested and brought back to base."
    "From what the report says here, the other where found with knife wounds, cut throats, stabbed in the heart. And each death was linked to the same knife you killed Lt. Greene with. You know you are under oath right now. By lying to us, you are breaking the UCMJ. Now, tell us the truth..."

Sgt. Motley looked down. "That was the truth."

Motivations:
    Honor- To Motley, Honor is doing things that he believes is right. Killing a terrorist was the right thing to do as he wanted to kill his comrades and was a danger to the United States. Being Honorable is also keeping promises. While Motley will lie if it's necessary, he was raised so that promises were an unbreakable contract. Once you say you are going to do it, you do it. There is no other opinion. This also covers loyalty.

Challenge- The Daredevils were all about the challenge. They took the missions that no one wanted. They took risk that no sane person would do. They would try to do what everyone else called impossible. Motley was no exception. He was always first to make a bet, and normally the one who won it. To him, once the action happens, it becomes a game. How many can he kill? Can he be the one to push forward the most? Can he get to the target first? This mentality got the Daredevils a lot of praise but also a lot of trouble.

Patriotism- Motley joined the military like his father and grandfather before him. He's German family came to America during WWII and love for America has been part of his life. Even after he was called insane and removed from service, Motley felt that what he saw was real and a threat to his country. So when Task Force:Valkyrie came to him and said that what he saw was real and that he wasn't crazy. And that they were a threat to his country, Motley couldn't say no.

Skill Tricks
    Web Presence, Cover Fire, Pattern Expert

samurai6966 on
    edited July 2010
    Since we are apart of a government agency, do we need to have resources merits?

You don't need Resources all that much, and the first dot of a Merit only costs 2xp, so yeah.

Edith Upwards on
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I will submit a character this weekend. Sounds fun.

Cheeseliker on
    edited July 2010
    This will be PBP, right?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, unless people would like to do their Prologues in IRC. If so I'm in #criticalfailures and #PAHunterIC.

I don't need your sheets done to do the prologue.

Edith Upwards on
    edited July 2010
    You know what, I think I'm going to have to bow out. Been busy recently, and when I start school again in a couple weeks my free time is going to plummet. Better to leave now then in the middle of the story.

Red Shirt 101 on
  • Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm interested in this, but I have never played a game like this before so I'm gonna have to sit back and watch this time. If another Hunter comes up I might have to join. I think the closest I've come to playing a Hunter game is the one that was released for the Xbox :P

Crimson Phantom on
    edited July 2010
    I'm interested in this, but I have never played a game like this before so I'm gonna have to sit back and watch this time. If another Hunter comes up I might have to join. I think the closest I've come to playing a Hunter game is the one that was released for the Xbox :P

Old Hunter (Hunter: the Reckoning) which the video game was based on is much different then new Hunter (Hunter: the Vigil). In H:tR you played mystically chosen mortals who were given the mandate by whatever empowered them to fight the forces of darkness. In H:tV you're just a regular Joe (usually) who was in the wrong place at the wrong time and had a brush with something horrific. Instead of being like a normal person and trying to rationalize it away, you decide to grab whatever weapon is nearby and do what you can to fight back against the darkness.

I never actually owned the books for H:tR, but from what I've heard they weren't that great. I do own most of the H:tV books though and they are very good.

Red Shirt 101 on
  • Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    lol I had not friggin' clue. It sounds fun, but I want to see how it plays before jumping into a game with no knowledge

Crimson Phantom on
    edited July 2010
    Just other side knowledge, crimson. There are tiers of hunters. You have groups like Ashwood Abbey who are an elite club for hedonist sadists, Network Zero for people who like to go "Ghost Hunting" (generalizing but generally they try to get the news out), and a few mystical ones like the Lucifuge (who are basically related to Lucifer).

Of course you have Project Valkyrie who are the ultimate bad asses.

Egos on
    edited August 2010
    So I wasn't going to do a character because I figured this would fill up too fast, but I see there are two slots left.

Now the problem is I have two ideas for a character, a slightly educated and huge biker dude, or a private detective whose seen too much to continue living a normal life.

Hmmm

Cheeseliker on
    edited August 2010
    i like the second one

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Me too. Thanks for pushing me. Character incoming soon.

Cheeseliker on
    edited August 2010
    Sheet:
    Dan Sandler

Background:
    Dan was a damn good private detective. He worked with the cops occasionally, and had a happy wife and kids. He made enough to support them, loved working for who he chose, and was living a pretty great life. Then a case came.

Wasn't unusual. Young 16-year-old missing. Where others had failed, he'd succeeded. He found her, with a vampire. He saw him drink her blood and suck her dry, and did nothing to help her. He was too scared, too shaken. The vampire found him, attacked. He got a lucky shot off with his gun and ran.

That's when everything went down hill. He dropped the case and never told her parents what he knew. He started drinking more, going to bars more often, staying away from his family. He couldn't face them, not after what he did, or rather, what he had not done. He drifted away from them and it wasn't long until there was a divorce. She took the kids, everything.

His life was going down hill, but then he was contacted. By a strange company. Somehow, they had found out what had happened, and they could use him. He had nothing else, so why not?

Also, my suggestion for our home base is a bar.

E: Editted my skill tricks and took away specialties.

Cheeseliker on
    edited August 2010
    Updated Hank's Character post with the proper Skill Tricks.

Also, EZ.

Does Hank really need a prologue?

I sorta tried my best with his backstory and motivations to give him sufficient past to indicate the kind of guy he was, the reason that he's working for Valkyrie, and how he's a somewhat different dude with similar tendencies.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited August 2010
    I'm almost done with my character. Just trying to figure out this Skill trick thing...

samurai6966 on
    edited August 2010
    Is Skill tricks in one of the books or is it a house rule thing?

samurai6966 on
    edited August 2010
    @Horseshoe, I don't think any of the characters here actually needs a prologue, now that you mention it.

@cj, Motivations can be whatever you want. Just aim for something that you can do once every story.

@Samurai:Skill Tricks are in WoD:Mirrors along with Motivations.

Edith Upwards on
    edited August 2010
    Motivations: Fortitude, Justice, Curiosity

Skill Tricks:
    •Always Investigating(Extra Talent):The character never turns his instincts off. He is always analyzing everything around him for patterns, evidence, even just simple data. Add the character’s Investigation rating to all Perception rolls (see p. 45 of the World of Darkness Rulebook).

•Encoded Message(Story Advancement):Through symbolism, cleverly disguised lettering, and knowledge of his audience, the character can embed a message within a written or artistic work. Whether it’s a hidden message in a song or an apparently boring essay that comes to life when one reads between the lines, the character can communicate a very specific set of instructions or facts without giving away his true intent. Interpreting the message correctly, of course, is up to the viewer(and this should involve an Intelligence + Wits roll).

•Master Negotiator(Time Saver):When Cutting a Deal (p. 82 of the World of Darkness Rulebook), the character always seems to know the right words to use, the right buttons to push, and the right figures to cite (correct or not) to ensure she gets the better end of the agreement. Subtract the character’s Persuasion rating from the target number of successes for the deal. If this result in a negative number, the character automatically wins the action with any rolls being required.

Ellie's prologue was basically posted earlier, unless something more thorough is needed.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2010
    Uh, I think you need 3 motivations?

Cheeseliker on