As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help! Music for Wedding Ceremony.

BobCescaBobCesca Is a girlBirmingham, UKRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, me and japan are getting married at the end of next month, and the registry office have suggested we provide a CD of music (apparently the ones they have are terrible).

So, there needs to be three sections:

1. Music for when the guests are arriving (~30 minutes)

2. Something for me to walk down the aisle to.

3. Something that plays while we sign the registry book (I'm guessing ~10 minutes).

I am completely stuck. I don't really want the traditional boring classical music (and the interesting stuff probably won't work for the wedding). My father and I have agreed that walking down the aisle to the Imperial March from Star Wars or one of Beethoven's funeral marches is probably a bad idea ('cos we'll piss ourselves laughing).

I quite fancy having some music which is non-traditional, and anything geeky or videogame related will make us giggle a bit (in a good way).

I have a horrific idea of playing those songs which people think are romantic but that are actually creepy during the signing bit (like Police's Every Breath You Take), but, again, I'm not sure if this is really a good idea.

Help me H/A, or it's registry office crap for the wedding.

BobCesca on

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How long does the aisle part take? Because if it's fairly short I think this music could provide the right ambience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTrO7FDD1PY

RMS Oceanic on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Check The Corpse Bride's soundtrack.

Aldo on
  • RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Get some of the piano music from OC Remix. I know there's some great remakes on there that are truly beautiful.

Alternatively, nab the Halo soundtrack, and use the Title track (I prefer Halo the first's), but that could sound cool, and only people that have played it would get it.

Edit: so it would make sense.

RadicalTurnip on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    [strike]Also, Yackety Sax[/strike]

Aldo on
  • illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My husband and I were nerdy enough to use the Crono/Marle theme from ChronoTrigger walking down the aisle when we got married. It works well on a piano (and is loopable, so it's okay if you're taking more or less time), and for the non-nerds in your gathering it's just nice music, but you'll be able to spot all the gamers by the looks of "wait, is that... you guys are dorks!" You could consider that or something similar. A lot of the early RPGs have nice little themes in them somewhere.

As far as for when the guests are arriving, I don't have any specific suggestions, but I would recommend something unobtrusive. The guests are all going to want to greet each other and talk a little bit, which is hard to do if you're blasting Metallica or something. I think we just picked some classical pieces that we both liked.

illirica on
  • PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pick something fun you'll both enjoy. Having music that suits you and your man makes the ceremony more personal and more memorable for your guests.

As an example - my wedding music was:

Pre-wedding - mix of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and other 60's-70's lovey songs
    Bride's Entrance - Ice Cream by Sarah McLaughlin
    Paperwork - Friend sang Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding
    Exit - Dear Prudence by the Beatles

Dinner entry - Imperial March from Star Wars
    First Dance - Strange Currencies by REM (yay horribly depressing first dance songs!)
    Second Dance w/ Parents - In My Life by the Beatles
    Third Dance when everyone joins in - Killing in the Name of by Rage Against the Machine

Yeah, people didn't expect that third song.

Have some fun! It's your day... everyone else can suck lemons if they don't like it.

Phisti on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to assume you're including your SO in this decision? If not this is probably something you should do.

Sipex on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    japan is relatively ambivalent to most things. I mean, I'll check with him before I send it off to the registry office, but his response to most things is "yeah, sure." It's one of the things making this so difficult.

BobCesca on
  • ahcobrasahcobras Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Favorite Adventure (The Wedding Song) by K's Choice is what we used for the wedding party walking down the aisle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl2MgaDvSdI

It's cute, and not many people would recognize it.

ahcobras on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Music for when the guests are arriving (~30 minutes)

Mingus Ah Um

Sheep on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Music from the zelda series wouldn't be bad haha.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Should come down the aisle to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYJzcUvS_NU

But remember that it doesn't matter how dorky it is, it's your wedding, not the guest's.

FyreWulff on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Me and the wife's first dance was to a Mario Kart themed love song.

Sheep on
  • NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    God I've been to too many weddings... and never really have a girlfriend... this sounds like a plot like 27 dresses.

Anyways... does your wedding have a theme song? Just went to one and the couple used "Love Story" by Taylor Swift as their theme song and they played it on their enterance and also their first dance.

Another friend of mine used the Star Trek Generations Theme music at the ceremony when they spoke their vows.

Still another family friend stick to the classics... "Canon in D major" at their enterance... and Wagner's "Here Comes the Bride" after the vow.

image.php?type=sigpic&userid=58704&dateline=1280364576

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It may not be possible to top:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCngZZFG7r8

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My wife and I came in to this.
    With teh pastor, family and wedding party it was timed just right that she game down the aisle when it 1:33
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu1PY8vS93U

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We did the married in our front yard by the Fish pond thing. (ps if this seems like a good idea make sure the matron of honor holds her kid, we were really casulal and I told her she could not an issue but she got a friend to try and wrangle her curious 2yo and well he walked into the pond during the ring part) Our wedding was very casual since we were not even going to have a wedding just get married but Services BC dosen't do that anymore. Anyway sorry for the wall of text..

We did this as our entrance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcbAibPA2yY

and this for our exit (gotta skip to 2 in to hear the music sorry could only find the concert video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erPnyi90cIc

Because it was the first song we ever danced to together and when we first got together I was planning on going to University to teach music. It was just "Our Song" in the old way.

My cousin used this as her Wedding March
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I&feature=avmsc2

Mostly cause she was a huge ER nerd and it introduced her to this song and man Iz had an awesome voice!

My best suggestion is to choose something you love even if he seems indifferent. Brian also didn't care but I know he was happy that I was happy ('cause he told me so) So scour you brain for whatever you like.

I had to put together a disk of music for my mothers memorial and one of the selections was Mull of Kintyre by Paul McCartney as well as Beth from Kiss! so you can really mix genres cause anythign goes its your damn day!

Mom2Kat on
  • Cptn PantsCptn Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cptn Pants on
This discussion has been closed.