As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Futurama - Bender's back, baby!

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Awesome.
    Unexpected yet amazing Zager and Evans parody!

edit: I can't spell at 11 PM, apparently

antherem on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    antherem wrote: »
    Awesome.
    Unexpected yet amazing Zeger and Evans parody!

It's also a huge callback to the Cryonic Woman.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm probably a sympathetic sap in that I don't like episodes...
    Where everything is lost and just reappears over time. Poor other Leela!

And you can never go home. But nonetheless.

"Oooh...the vast emptiness!" *shakes hand with empty beer*

That was brilliant.

Synthesis on
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For a comedy, they really do those emotional scenes real well. Or maybe we/I just love the characters too much.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Loved that episode. I love all time travel episodes, but really loved this one.

"Whoops, better bring her round again."

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This episode has the best time travel logic of anything that has ever been on television. pure love

NotYou on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'm probably a sympathetic sap in that I don't like episodes...
    Where everything is lost and just reappears over time. Poor other Leelas!

And you can never go home. But nonetheless.

"Oooh...the vast emptiness!" *shakes hand with empty bear*

That was brilliant.

Fixed your spoiler a bit. You can feel even more sap like now :P

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like how they don't even bother trying to go back to the time of hot women who have backwards time travel

Speed Racer on
    edited July 2010
    Man... why'd you have to point that out?

Though Fry not cheating on leela for once (for whatever the reason) is kind of refreshing.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Though Fry not cheating on leela for once (for whatever the reason) is kind of refreshing.

It'd be pretty damned hard to hit that time again.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like how they don't even bother trying to go back to the time of hot women who have backwards time travel

holy shit you blew my mind! Blew it!

NotYou on
    edited July 2010
    Athenor wrote: »

It'd be pretty damned hard not to hit that.

I agree.

Nappuccino on

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

It'd be pretty damned hard to hit that time again.

Any harder than hitting the exact moment before they traveled into the future?

Speed Racer on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My favorite lyric
    :whistle:
    In the year one million and a half, mankind is enslaved by giraffes
    :whistle:

Gim on
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Probably the best new episode yet.

Ranadiel on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It'd be pretty damned hard not to hit that.

I agree.

Hell I'd go there once a Week.

Best line though?
    That was the old Fry. He's dead now.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This was definitely on par with the best of the original series.

Not quite as good as The Devil's Hands, but close.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Honestly, I think all the new episodes are just as good as the classic ones. My general qualifier for a show being overall great is one simple question: How often will I, while channel surfing, notice this show is on, and keep surfing?

With Futurama, the answer is never, and that makes it a great show. I do not know of a single episode I would skip past, unless I'd already seen it at least a dozen times...recently.

Even the movie episodes. I've never seen any of the movies (except maybe BwaBB) all the way through, but I'll watch the second half of it, and enjoy it.

Old episodes? Great. New episodes? Great. Futurama? Greaaaaaaaaat!

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited July 2010
    I will say that the first 3 episodes felt tonally more like the movies and all of the episodes since have felt more like classic futurama.

Which is great, because classic futurama is the reason why i love futurama. The movies were good but seeing such a wonderful return to form is amazing.

Nappuccino on

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Overall, a really good episode.
    I felt like some of the earlier time travel stuff could have been better, but overall, the episode was well done, and quite funny.
    "We've solved the time paradox!"

I was a bit irked by
    how technically, most of the characters we knew from the entire series up to this point are dead and gone. I'll get past it, but it's just... I don't know, weird.

TubularLuggage on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was a bit irked by
    how technically, most of the characters we knew from the entire series up to this point are dead and gone. I'll get past it, but it's just... I don't know, weird.

It's a bit like the American Dad episode about
    the Rapture
    , only less ambiguous.

Gim on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmm, after seeing it a second time
    I wonder what happened to the Fry/Farnesworth/Bender set from the second universe? The one where the professor fell again? They didn't kill them, so why didn't they end up in the same universe as the first group?

Or did the professor in that group screw up again, going further into the future and missing yet another group that would then go to the future and mess up an-

Oh my I've gone cross-eyed

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Hmm, after seeing it a second time
    I wonder what happened to the Fry/Farnesworth/Bender set from the second universe? The one where the professor fell again? They didn't kill them, so why didn't they end up in the same universe as the first group?

Or did the professor in that group screw up again, going further into the future and missing yet another group that would then go to the future and mess up an-

Oh my I've gone cross-eyed

It explains the paradox perfectly!
    Fry 1 is in universe 3, Fry 3 is dead, and Fry 2 never went anywhere due to the Professor not being obsessed with time travel, having no Hitler to kill.

Plutonium on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I feel like the lack of writers was showing in this episode again. It was a fantastic premise and it was pretty well executed but the little stuff was still off. They had a great opportunity for throwaway jokes in the few minutes where they were traveling forward but mostly it was filled with nonsense. Which was ok, I guess, but a room of seasoned writers would have punched it up into something really stellar.

They're putting their more limited resources into where it counts, so I can't possibly fault them for it.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Something else I noticed:
    The universe our Fry landed in, Universe 3, may not only be 10 feet lower, but also a few minutes older, given that he arrived right on time despite apparently already being late already by his own watch.

Or, you know, it was inaccurate from all the time travel. Either or.

yalborap on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Late to the party and only partially in, but had to pause the dvr to say, woooo @ the 'in the year 2525' parody song, oh man! ( and was also sad that a friend on msn didn't know it was a song before now rofl)

edit: hot damn that felt like full on classic futurama, woo! Paradox resolved!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yalborap wrote: »
    Something else I noticed:
    The universe our Fry landed in, Universe 3, may not only be 10 feet lower, but also a few minutes older, given that he arrived right on time despite apparently already being late already by his own watch.

Or, you know, it was inaccurate from all the time travel. Either or.
    Well his own watch was still ticking while he was travelling so of course it'd show him as being late.

Opty on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Marvelous episode. It pulled off the sentimentality far better than the last one, IMO. Really felt like old Futurama.

Nightslyr on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pow! We took care of the time travel paradox!

edit: Also, the best line was definitely:

"Oooooh the vast emptiness!"
    "Yeah yeah I can take a hint"

Tav on
    edited July 2010
    Heh. Yeevo tried to do the nasty with the universe 3 times...

Theoretically infinite times, to be exact. >.<

Athenor on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I liked the view of a planet express company that was actually financially successful.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fuck. I missed this. Is there any legal way to view it now or soonish?

Couscous on
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

They reshow it a few times throughout the week.

antherem on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I think it gets replayed on Sunday. They replay them ad nauseum. I've seen the Animatronio episode like 5 times now.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I liked the view of a planet express company that was actually financially successful.
    Me too! Also Hermes on a pogo stick was brilliant.

The last few episodes have been as good as old Futurama, it's the only show I look forward to every week now (until Survivor is back on, at least).

815165 on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

You'll just have to come around again.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah this definitely fit in with the classic episodes.

Bender through the entire episode was great, especially regarding the Terminator future.

"Hey, this isn't so bad. We could live over there on that pile of skulls!"

Octoparrot on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love when Bender pouts, the entire time he was acting like a dick because they left behind the robot death future was awesome.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    y'know, John DiMaggio doesn't seem to give Bender that swaggering tone as much anymore...

Doesn't bother me too much, but just realized it. Everyone else's voices seem back.

Octoparrot on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I feel like the lack of writers was showing in this episode again. It was a fantastic premise and it was pretty well executed but the little stuff was still off. They had a great opportunity for throwaway jokes in the few minutes where they were traveling forward but mostly it was filled with nonsense. Which was ok, I guess, but a room of seasoned writers would have punched it up into something really stellar.

They're putting their more limited resources into where it counts, so I can't possibly fault them for it.

I have to side with DK here. I didn't really like this episode. It wasn't terrible, it was just...bland. For an episode with such potential, I was mostly just bored.

JustinSane07 on