As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic 7-28-10: Blood and Oil, Part 3

13»

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    THIS IS SHIT I HATE IT

nah just kidding it's awesome
    This is a good joke.

Going to use it.

Blake T on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    clap.gif

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is some mighty fine web comic we have here.

Mighty fine.

Quid on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All right, I previously was not terribly impressed with the idea of "Automata" and thought it was kind of played out.

But I seriously love this

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow, this really came together well.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm actually going to post again that this is a really great comic.

I tend to be lukewarm towards most guest comics but this is just absolutely perfect.

Quid on
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just in case this thread might help some decisions get made in high up areas, I just wanted to chime in that I'm also really enjoying these. I really like Automata so far (both by G&T and by the current guest artists) and would definitely read it if it were its own thing. Pay a reasonable price for it, if need be.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I like this. This is alright with me

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    PlainclothesmanPlainclothesman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wasn't totally sold on the new arc before, but this page clinched it. Really great work, guys. I'd read a full-length Automata story, no question.

Plainclothesman on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blake T wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »
    THIS IS SHIT I HATE IT

nah just kidding it's awesome
    This is a good joke.

Going to use it.

no it's not

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Maybe it's cause I didn't care too much about Lookouts (I voted for Automata, btw) but I am quite enthralled with this arc. We had the weird art stuff last time, with the arms switching and actions being unclear, but this time I like seeing the partnership between Carl and Regal grow. Well, as much as a relationship between a robot and a human can grow, buddy cops as they may be.

Also, that last play on words ("America?" "Automata") just makes me think that it is pronounced Aw-TOM-i-ta and not at all like aw-toe-mat-ah (Automatic). Even though Gabe and Tycho seem to think otherwise.

Uh... that is how "Automata" (and it's singular, automaton) have always been pronounced.

I pronounced automata with the emphasis on ma (autoMAHta) but automaton properly (in my head because I never have any reason to say these words out loud)

I dunno why anyone else needed to know that but now you do

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    God the tilted head.

He's thinking.

Quid on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I enjoy this

Beasteh on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just in case this thread might help some decisions get made in high up areas, I just wanted to chime in that I'm also really enjoying these. I really like Automata so far (both by G&T and by the current guest artists) and would definitely read it if it were its own thing. Pay a reasonable price for it, if need be.
    Oh man, imagine a trade for this.

That would be baller.

Blake T on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I haven't read a comic since an old spiderman comic* I bought in 1995. They just haven't been interesting to me when I glanced at samples online.

I would subscribe to this comic.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Web_of_Scarlet_Spider_1.jpg

MKR on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was too busy having a great birthday to post that this was an amazing birthday comic.

It just keeps getting better.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    God the tilted head.

He's thinking.

dreamcast_logo.jpg

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SpankministerSpankminister Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I must be the only person who doesn't care for this guest strip-- I just don't think it lives up to the high standard set by Tycho's original. The first page started out fine, but ended with an eye-roller of a pun. I think I liked the original Automata strips because they focused on the procedural aspect, and had enough subtlety to leave the social inequities present in this universe to the imagination. These three strips seem to lack all subtlety as every word out of the characters' mouths is "I don't like robots. I am a robot racist," or, "I am the detective who likes robots." Also, I'm not the kind of person who figures out name anagrams in mystery novels, so when I see it coming, maybe I've been hit over the head one too many times. I'll concede that trying to tell a story in a few pages is pretty darn hard, but sometimes less is more when it comes to world-building. The Blade Runner line about "c-beams glittering the the dark by the Tannhauser Gate" was great because it's a throwaway line that implied a much broader universe than the movie has time to show. Similarly, the sign in the original Automata pilot "No Heart, No Soul, No Service" with Carl standing out in the rain in front of it told you what you needed to know very concisely without the store manager ranting on the street about how he isn't letting a robot detective in his establishment. I'm all for more Automata, but I'd love to see Tycho come back to it.

Spankminister on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I must be the only person who doesn't care for this guest strip--
    airhornsman.png

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jimothy wrote: »
    I like that Swangee Men come programmed with different eye colorizations based on their functions:

Blue for normal purposes.
    Red for error.
    Purple for camera.
    Green for processing/wi-fi.

It'll be neat to see what other combinations they can come up with. I'm very intrigued by the Automata mythos and canon, nascent as it is.

mauve for faaaaaaabulous.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Unless you're part of the "I don't like it because it's not dick jokes and video games" club I'm not seeing many reasons why someone wouldn't like this arc. The writing is great, both the characters and setting developing beautifully, and the story is very interesting so far.

Javen on
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not overly keen on the art, something about detective Regal just doesn't sit right with me. I think its his jaw. :/

But I can look past that, and see this for what it is.

absolutelyfuckingawesome.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jesus Christ this fucking rules

I'd pay so much cash money for full length Automata stories
    Silmaril wrote: »
    I'm not overly keen on the art, something about detective Regal just doesn't sit right with me. I think its his jaw. :/

But I can look past that, and see this for what it is.

absolutelyfuckingawesome.

I'm really starting to come around on the art style as a whole, but Regal is drawn very inconsistently

I get that it's part of the look, but it can still be a little jarring

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    gwhitta wrote: »
    Snarkman3 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds Tilted Carl particularly funny?

Like a puppy thinking!
    That's kinda what the idea was based on, more specifically the way dogs cock their heads when listening to high-frequency sounds that humans can't hear - in this case Carl accessing information over wifi.

that is so COOL

Nuzak on
  • Options
    KilnikKilnik Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does anyone else think that Senator Ronald Adler in the Blood and Oil comics looks like Basil Marceaux, a Republican candidate for Governor of Tennessee?

BASIL-MARCEAUX.jpg

Here's Colbert's take on him.

Kilnik on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow they do look pretty similar.

101 on
  • Options
    gwhittagwhitta Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Haha! Nice find.

gwhitta on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    fat guys looks like fat guy

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    holy shit that guy is insane

he says that if you vote for him, he'll give you legal immunity for all crimes

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    KilnikKilnik Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah; he sounded pretty hammered.

Kilnik on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    bombcar wrote: »
    He done been killed by a robot who supports prohibition. I call it now.

But does he support it due to personal beliefs, or has he been reprogrammed?

Robot killer was a spurned lover of the robot victim, programmed/convinced to kill the Senator by a robot-rights opponent, who was hoping to leverage the case as proof that the robots are dangerous and need to be deactivated.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kilnik wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that Senator Ronald Adler in the Blood and Oil comics looks like Basil Marceaux, a Republican candidate for Governor of Tennessee?

BASIL-MARCEAUX.jpg

this guy looks like Mr. Dursley

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    now i want to see that guy photoshopped into a M. Bison costume.

Langly on
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This series is goooood.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Unless you're part of the "I don't like it because it's not dick jokes and video games" club I'm not seeing many reasons why someone wouldn't like this arc. The writing is great, both the characters and setting developing beautifully, and the story is very interesting so far.

I actually agree with some of his points.

Part two was fucking grating.

But saying that I can see it's point.

This is a prequel though and you need to establish the setting. And with a comic format with only several panels you are limited in time so subtleties need to be thrown out the window.

Saying that if they go back to the office and the dudes are still that simple and lacking some nuance I will be disappointed.

Blake T on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I only was a bit leery of the first comic and that's because it took a couple of reads just to get the flow of the panels. I was sold from the second comic on though.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

BASIL-MARCEAUX.jpg

this guy looks like Mr. Dursley

His face

is the worst

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Basil Marceaux kind of looks like Con from Deadwood.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BASIL-MARCEAUX.jpg

rt0uop.jpg

Ivar on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    it's such a dad comic.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Those two and Adler should hang out.

Talk about mustache product and fucking machinery.

Penguin Incarnate on
This discussion has been closed.