As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What's with Zombies?

topgamer1980topgamer1980 Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
I can't help but noticing how many games are related to the Zombie theme today. I mean There are like 1000 games about Zombies out there today, and it's almost like if your game is about Zombies, it will get noticed no matter what.

Are there any other topics like Zombies that get this kind of unquestioned love from the gamers?

topgamer1980 on

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    WW2? :P

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • morepewpewmorepewpew Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't help but noticing how many games are related to the Zombie theme today. I mean There are like 1000 games about Zombies out there today, and it's almost like if your game is about Zombies, it will get noticed no matter what.

Are there any other topics like Zombies that get this kind of unquestioned love from the gamers?

Superheros

you know, dudes that got bitten by stuff, or born with weird things or extra parts

morepewpew on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All we need now is zombie filled AT-AT walkers advancing up Omaha beach.

815165 on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    815165 wrote: »

Being fought back by a lone Bald Space Marine™

-SPI- on
  • Sprite ColaSprite Cola Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »

Being fought back by a lone Bald Space Marine™

Tychus Findlay? 8-)

Sprite Cola on
  • topgamer1980topgamer1980 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    morepewpew wrote: »

Superheros

you know, dudes that got bitten by stuff, or born with weird things or extra parts

Superheros? I don't think it's as popular as Zombies.

Plus you get fan bases for individual heros, like Spiderman and Batman.

topgamer1980 on
  • KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Zombies are frightening and represent a very painful death. Horror, dread, fear and terror in spades.

They are a logistical and martial challenge that is interesting, while actual war these days has become complicated, technological, political and morally challenging. That is, uninteresting.

Zombies cause an apocalyptic setting - they are not the only danger, but the environment they create is antagonistic as well. The apocalypse is always exciting, because it boils down life to either becoming a badass or dying (and thus no longer having to worry about being a badass) - none of the half-cooked or partial.

Zombies are interesting from a societal and geopolitical standpoint (see Max Brooks). Zombies are interesting enemies in themselves because they are humanoid enemies that still can't be sympathized with, and any qualms about killing them is window dressing. They remind us that humanity does not lie in the form.

I say all of the above makes for great videogames. In fact, I think the entire package is pretty alluring to a lot of modern people - men in particular.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • topgamer1980topgamer1980 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kastanj wrote: »
    Zombies are frightening and represent a very painful death. Horror, dread, fear and terror in spades.

They are a logistical and martial challenge that is interesting, while actual war these days has become complicated, technological, political and morally challenging. That is, uninteresting.

Zombies cause an apocalyptic setting - they are not the only danger, but the environment they create is antagonistic as well. The apocalypse is always exciting, because it boils down life to either becoming a badass or dying (and thus no longer having to worry about being a badass) - none of the half-cooked or partial.

Zombies are interesting from a societal and geopolitical standpoint (see Max Brooks). Zombies are interesting enemies in themselves because they are humanoid enemies that still can't be sympathized with, and any qualms about killing them is window dressing. They remind us that humanity does not lie in the form.

I say all of the above makes for great videogames. In fact, I think the entire package is pretty alluring to a lot of modern people - men in particular.

Great Analysis!

And I think the fact that we (men) get to kill these Zombies without guilt (since they're "dead already") also encourages it.

topgamer1980 on
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zombies are also hilarious.

Remington on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And I think the fact that we (men) get to kill these Zombies without guilt (since they're "dead already") also encourages it.

Pretty much this. Its the same reason Foot Soldiers were cyborgs. Its human like, but PC to kill.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Both Kastanj and Remington are very correct. Whats better than facing an unbeatable hoard of the most horrific terror (that doesn't actually exist... yet) with a chainsaw or lawn-mower? Or even a stuffed animal?

For me, the excitement comes from the forced adaptability to a new enemy, yet somehow a very real enemy. Zombies can be in the form of a stranger or a loved one, bringing the terror even higher. The tough decisions like killing an infected-but-still-human-friend or leaving behind your team on Left 4 Dead are the icing on the cake.

Basically, zombies put you in situations that really stretch the limits of the human soul.

Icemopper on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Has there ever been a game in the "classic" zombie theme? Like, slow Romero zombies, just trying to survive. Maybe hole up in a house somewhere. And have to deal with other people cracking up.

It seems like it would make the best RPG ever, and it's never been done. The only two I can think of are Fort Zombie, which is bad, and the one from Double Bear, which will never come out.

PolloDiablo on
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not to mention a zombie horde is much easier to model and simulate in-game than a squad of intelligent soldiers. You don't have to worry about tactics, or coordination, or situation awareness.

All you need is: see brains -> follow brains -> eat brains.

Which lets you craft a "realistic" setting where you won't be jarred out of your suspension of disbelief by your enemies doing idiotic things AI tends to do, like getting stuck on geometry or running in circles or ignoring cover or any of a million other poor choices for a real soldier. Because hey.. They're just zombies.

Xaviar on
  • softCactussoftCactus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Topic reminds me of that book I just read Boneshaker.

I feel like the undead are infesting more than just video games. Look at all the vampire movies that came out in the last year or two.

softCactus on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Has there ever been a game in the "classic" zombie theme? Like, slow Romero zombies, just trying to survive. Maybe hole up in a house somewhere. And have to deal with other people cracking up.

It seems like it would make the best RPG ever, and it's never been done. The only two I can think of are Fort Zombie, which is bad, and the one from Double Bear, which will never come out.

Honestly, the original Resident Evil fits that bill pretty well. Sure, they add fast enemies to offset the slow zombies. But the opening of the game is lifted from NOTLD, basically. Replace normal folk with S.T.A.R.s and creepy country house with creepy mansion in the middle of nowhere...

Fawst on
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sorry, but what is a recent game with zombies as the main focus? It's a game-mode in some FPS's now, like CoD: WAW but what straight-up zombie oriented games have gotten lots of attention and did well outside of Dead Rising and Resident Evil? RE's not even about zombies anymore...

EDIT: I always forget about L4D despite putting loads of hours into it. Heh.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well it isn't just games. A slew of movies (both theater release like Zombieland and B/D films like Dead Snow) plus a TV show is coming out based on a comic right?

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm less scared of zombies, and more scared of plants now. Have you seen how crazy sunflowers are? and goddamn snow peas?

.. the horror..

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have yet to see a zombie, robot, ninja, space marine game in a fantasy World War 2 setting.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    softCactus wrote: »
    Topic reminds me of that book I just read Boneshaker.

I feel like the undead are infesting more than just video games. Look at all the vampire movies that came out in the last year or two.

That's on my Amazon wishlist, actually. I'm nearly done with the last two books I ordered, should I pick that up next? It sounds interesting.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zombies are the shit.

/thread

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have yet to see a zombie, robot, ninja, space marine game in a fantasy World War 2 setting.

There was a strategy RPG for the 360 with werewolves, vampires, and lots of other crazy shit set in WW2. I forget the name of it though, it looked pretty awesome but turned out to just be mediocre.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did RTCW have zombies? I don't remember.

815165 on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Darmak wrote: »

There was a strategy RPG for the 360 with werewolves, vampires, and lots of other crazy shit set in WW2. I forget the name of it though, it looked pretty awesome but turned out to just be mediocre.

Operation Darkness (Name didn't sound right to me but google confirms it. Good game but took way too long to play)

gunwarrior on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I played a freeware game years back that was sort of like that. You had to wander around a city between safehouses, bartering for ammo and food.

I don't remember that much about it, other than that attempting to establish your own safehouse resulted in a bajillion zombies pouring in all at once for no apparent reason.

jothki on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jothki wrote: »

I played a freeware game years back that was sort of like that. You had to wander around a city between safehouses, bartering for ammo and food.

I don't remember that much about it, other than that attempting to establish your own safehouse resulted in a bajillion zombies pouring in all at once for no apparent reason.

Survival Crisis Z?

gunwarrior on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

Survival Crisis Z?

I think that's it.

jothki on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Some occult skeletons, I think. It's been a while

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want a game where you play as the zombie. Feasting to grow your unstoppable horde.

Like Stubbs the Zombie, only better.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Double Bear's ZRPG is in closed beta and has gameplay videos out.

Edith Upwards on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

Some occult skeletons, I think. It's been a while

Yep, it had zombies, along with almost everything else short of vampires/werewolves

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I'm less scared of zombies, and more scared of plants now. Have you seen how crazy sunflowers are? and goddamn snow peas?

.. the horror..
    apocalypsebrando2.jpg

Zombies are fun to kill. They aren't living humans so there's no guilt whatsoever, and they generally just come at you mindlessly and you can mow them down with guns or chainsaws or whatever superior weaponry you have, so you get to feel like a real badass. It's not hard to fathom why they show up so frequently.

Captain K on
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Basically, there are 3 types of enemies that the Nanny's won't complain about you killing:
    Nazis
    Aliens
    Zombies

Joe K on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Didn't you kill Nazi zombies in one recent FPS shooter? It was like a multiplayer mode or something.

Satsumomo on
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You know, there isn't really a lot of (especially worth while or even decent) zombie stuff in any specific medium. Its just the combined effort that makes it notable. Comics, movies, TV shows and video games. Any one of them has a small number, but combined, just like the great zombie horde, they are a fantastic and formidable foe.

Zombie games, where zombies play a role other than low level enemy thats about as notable as toilet paper, are pretty rare. Talking in terms of proper zombies, I can't think of a single game other than the Land of the Dead game, to have such. Even then the hit collision was ass and headshots were no more effective than shooting their toes.

As far as I'm concerned, zombie games won't be tiring until we get a slew of "proper" zombie games that I can actually enjoy with a .22 hunting rifle and a machete.

Still waiting on zombie robot ninja lizardmen, anyways.

Edit: Sats, you're thinking of World at War. The nazi zombie mode is actually pretty sweet, and just about the best depiction of a zombie game I've ever seen. Slow moving, overwhelming, and headshots knock 'em on their ass faster than anything else.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

There are gameplay videos out for this already? I haven't seen anything via their forums recently.

Tertiee on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Just want to say I really like this. :^:
    On a lot of other forums you'd just get answers like "Becus zOmbies R funnay HUR HUR". :?

But yeah, Zombie-genre games are interesting (to me) just because you're able to confront a specific ambiguously amoral situation you'd [probably? :P] never encounter in real life.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

prove it

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I'd love a game that treats war as complicated, technological, and politically and morally challenging. That's far from "uninteresting." The problem with war games is, they tend to be set in either Brown Grimdarkverse or Batshit-Crazy TomClancyland.

Zombies don't generally shoot back, so they're good enemies for third-person action games and eminently suitable punching bags for wince-inducing combo melee attacks. But most importantly, they rarely talk. While most antagonists in a Capcom game will assault your brain with incoherent blather until it drains out your ears, the zombies of Dead Rising never utter a word apart from a soundtrack of groans.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Joe K wrote: »
    Basically, there are 3 types of enemies that the Nanny's won't complain about you killing:
    Nazis
    Aliens
    Zombies

All of a sudden I'm thinking Nazi Alien Zombies and why hasn't this been done?!

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling