As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halo Reach's Forge 2.0: Superhuge map, Parts, Objective Objects

• ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You know what would be hilarious? If a teleporter set to vehicle and not infantry would leave the driver dumbfounded as his ride disappears.

Arrath on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    Have shield doors that double as teleporters

they function as normal doors that allow vehicles through, which enables you to land in the hangar, but when a player tries to leave the hangar on his own he teleports back to the back of the hangar or something

I like how these combine. You could do some interesting tricks and puzzle rooms with this.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The floating cover + jetpacks = the most badass tactical approach/escape possible.

And to make sure it doesn't become a thing you could limit the jetpack pickups to 1/2 per team.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    you should also put a mancannon going out to the central platform from each base

Joolander on
    edited July 2010
    I plan on making a large airborne arena. Everyone with power weapon, most likely a laser (or maybe the focus rifle), no ground to land on. Soft kill volumes above and below but with a carefully calibrated timer. The whole area is blockaded like a simple maze and everyone has infinite jetpacks and five or ten lives. You have to dodge around the maze both vertically and horizontally to get a bead on someone.

Maybe no regenerating health, maybe infinite ammo, maybe the arena will be a ring with a no-go zone in the middle. We'll see what works. There'll probably be teleporters and man cannons around to keep people from trapping others.

Essentially I want people on their toes all the time. Either only just killing someone or only just surviving.

Willeth on
    edited July 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    I plan on making a large airborne arena. Everyone with power weapon, most likely a laser (or maybe the focus rifle), no ground to land on. Soft kill volumes above and below but with a carefully calibrated timer. The whole area is blockaded like a simple maze and everyone has infinite jetpacks and five or ten lives. You have to dodge around the maze both vertically and horizontally to get a bead on someone.

Maybe no regenerating health, maybe infinite ammo, maybe the arena will be a ring with a no-go zone in the middle. We'll see what works. There'll probably be teleporters and man cannons around to keep people from trapping others.

Essentially I want people on their toes all the time. Either only just killing someone or only just surviving.

and this map will be called

A) Pac-Man
    B) Labyrinth
    C) Thunderdome

Joolander on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    EDIT: wrong Halo thread.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
    edited July 2010
    Joolander wrote: »

A) Pac-Man
    B) Labyrinth
    C) Thunderdome

Aerodrome.

Willeth on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm thinking of another new map I'd like to make, kind've based on the original one, but made for search and destroy game modes. A big floating base in the middle, and 2 floating platforms on both sides for enemies to spawn on. Spawn points would be put on both platforms making the attacking team surround the base. You use falcons again to get in the base. The bomb would be placed on a high point of the base, making the attackers fight upward to get to the bomb site. Banshees would spawn for the defenders to take down attacking falcons, but attackers would get their own banshees to defend the falcons. You can't use the falcons or banshees on enemies inside the base, but you could use it to clear the hangar room. Falcons could go back and get more people from the base. No rocket launchers to shoot down flying vehicles this time, you have to use banshees to down the attacker's flying vehicles. I do this because the map is mostly infantry based once you get to the base, getting attackers to the base is only 15% of the game. I'd call it "Sky Pirates" since the platforms are basically just ships to attack the base.

Kadoken on
  • DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So do I have this right? There are no civilian vehicles in Forge World, but they are present in other forge-able maps?

DogEight on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    No confirmation on if they are present on other maps yet. I would guess that Boneyard would have some; Forge World just had them all omitted for more forge objects.

FyreWulff on
    edited July 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Forge World just had them all omitted for more forge objects.
    I completely understand and agree with this reasoning. I would just mourn the possibilities of civvie vehicle shenanigans in other maps.

DogEight on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    When I saw what Urk had made with the budget, and how much he did, I was wondering actually how big you can make it. But in his pictures, it starts at 10,000, and goes down in some, probably indicating that he deleted some objects to free up space, and I'm not thinking about the "Clean Slate" map variant they said they'd have, so I could probably make 2 big ass bases for sure.

Kadoken on
    edited July 2010
    Joolander wrote: »

A) Pac-Man
    B) Labyrinth
    C) Thunderdome

Aerodrome.

you sir are a prince among men

Joolander on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wonder how adjustable the man cannons will be. I know they said you can fine tune them but, by how much?

I really hope we can make shooting gallery map as well. And I will find some way for JOUST to return too. Garbage man might very well not come back if there isn't that much junk to throw at players anymore.

Viscountalpha on
    edited July 2010
    They said the force can be adjusted, I imagine you can also tweak the angle (if not, the new phasing would let you fine tune the angle)

FyreWulff on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Can someone recreate Battle Creek (or Beaver Creek)?

I was surprised that map never made it into Halo 3.

There was a fan-made one that was slightly scaled-down but worked quite well.

Yeah, there were a couple that were built in the Crypt of Sandbox. The geometry was the same but visual left a little to be desired.

I want to try it. The trick is finding a place with a creek and placing kill volumes.

EvilBadman on
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited July 2010
    Urk posted up some screenshots of Employee-forged objects in the latest Weekly Update.

castle_image_02.jpg

cliffhanger.jpg
    cliffhanger_fp.jpg
    cliffhanger_top_down.jpg

horizon.jpg

knot.jpg

facing_sniper.jpg

hangem.jpg

prison_wall.jpg

overhang_01.jpg
    overhang_02.jpg

das_beach_2.jpg

facing.jpg

temple01.jpg
    temple02.jpg

FyreWulff on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DAmn... some of those are pretty boss.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited July 2010
    facing_sniper.jpg
    facing.jpg

This is what I want my 2 sky base map to be like, except them much farther apart, the middle platform farther away, and well, in the sky. Also, the bases would be bigger. The sides would have hangars with falcon(s) and banshee(s). No walk ways to the bases however, nor teleporters. I think from now on I'm just going to call these maps "Sky Pirates CTF" and my Search and destroy variant "Sky Pirates SND"

Edit: Wait, that budget seems to be really low, damn, I might not be able to make it. Unless he has other unnecessary stuff taking up some of the budget

Edit2: I see the big base near the top of the pictures, and I could still make atleast 2 medium-big size bases.

Kadoken on
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »
    When I saw what Urk had made with the budget, and how much he did, I was wondering actually how big you can make it. But in his pictures, it starts at 10,000, and goes down in some, probably indicating that he deleted some objects to free up space, and I'm not thinking about the "Clean Slate" map variant they said they'd have, so I could probably make 2 big ass bases for sure.

The 10,000 number goes down because he added more objects. It's a budget you spend, not a running total of how much the map costs. The new screenshots should give you an idea of the size/amount of things you can place. There is only one that used up all the money, and it's a huge floating base (so had to spend money on floors for the entire thing)... also remember that weapons/spawns are taken out of the budget too.

Ratsult2 on
  • B for BusinessB for Business Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the possibilities are mind-boggling. i think if it's possible build a map on the side of one of those cliffs, and put two floating bases on each end. when have the middle a bunch of different ledges with the jet pack the primary mode of transportation. i wonder if that would work. i can't wait to spend hours, days in this.

B for Business on
    Xbox Live - Jaxon121906 10k
    PSN - B_for_Business
    edited July 2010
    facing_sniper.jpg
    facing.jpg

This is what I want my 2 sky base map to be like, except them much farther apart, the middle platform farther away, and well, in the sky. Also, the bases would be bigger. The sides would have hangars with falcon(s) and banshee(s). No walk ways to the bases however, nor teleporters. I think from now on I'm just going to call these maps "Sky Pirates CTF" and my Search and destroy variant "Sky Pirates SND"

Edit: Wait, that budget seems to be really low, damn, I might not be able to make it. Unless he has other unnecessary stuff taking up some of the budget

Edit2: I see the big base near the top of the pictures, and I could still make atleast 2 medium-big size bases.

Oh hello Facing Worlds.

EvilBadman on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I'm going to guess you are severely underestimating the size of this map. That's probably a good 50 second walk from one side to the other, if not more.

Any larger, and you're going to be spreading out your map too thin, and conflict is going to be hard to come across. Think like how Bungie only had half the map playable on Boneyard when you played Invasion Slayer.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited July 2010
    Kor wrote: »
    I'm going to guess you are severely underestimating the size of this map. That's probably a good 50 second walk from one side to the other, if not more.

Any larger, and you're going to be spreading out your map too thin, and conflict is going to be hard to come across. Think like how Bungie only had half the map playable on Boneyard when you played Invasion Slayer.
    Well it doesn't exactly show a birds eye view with a spartan in the middle to tell the size, so I might not see the full picture of how big it is. The top picture with the first person view of it does shows a bit of what the size may be. I'd get rid of the walk ways and just build 1-2 hangars on the sides of the structures. If it is as big as I think it is now, I would lengthen it only a bit, let more dog fighting be able to take place. I know what you mean with spreading it too thin, thats why I didn't like the idea of a humongous Hemorrhage, with you being able to go on the cliffs n' such, until I saw forge world and found out it was a huge map with sectored off littler maps.

Kadoken on
    edited July 2010
    This is the size of a Spartan
    4822749664_316a2a3019_b.jpg
    Standing on this type of rock (if you look close, you can see other spartans/vehicles in this picture)
    4822132853_47d014e3f5_b.jpg
    That type of rock is all over the map you posted. You should also note that the map you posted pictures of is extremely vertical, has lots of "just for looks" fluff, has 4 long walkways into the middle (that you won't have), AND has budget left over. I really wouldn't worry about not having enough budget for your map... unless you are picturing something large enough for 32+ players.

Ratsult2 on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    snip

Oh hello Facing Worlds.

glad i wasn't the only one who saw that there too. my mind is pretty much exploding with all the map remakes i'm sure other people with think of and do better than me.

Local H Jay on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    glad i wasn't the only one who saw that there too. my mind is pretty much exploding with all the map remakes i'm sure other people with think of and do better than me.

I'd like to see what new maps can be made, personally.

Mechanical on
    edited July 2010
    Thanks Ratsult, that helps a lot, and I wish they would make Reach 32 players :p. So yes, I can still make a long map, but not pain stakingly huge, I just want it big enough to be ideal for dog fighting and air vehicles, the infantry will mostly fight in the bases, and on the middle floating platform. Thats good, now when Reach comes out I just have to balance it and make it awesome.

Kadoken on
    edited July 2010
    Yea np. I like discussing general ideas about forge maps. It's still a bit early to get into too much detail, but advice here can help keep your mind open to ideas when we finally get to forge in Reach.

Ratsult2 on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »

I'd like to see what new maps can be made, personally.

Not until we get a boarding action remake.

Arrath on
    edited July 2010
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    snip

Oh hello Facing Worlds.

If only we could make an instagib morpheus map. :3

EvilBadman on
    edited August 2010
    Do you think that with new DLC, they'll put more into Forge World, such as effects, pieces, and other stuff, or just leave it as it is for a while? They probably won't add a new forging map, just look at the size and all the different locations you can use. It would be nice if they made different variations, like a snow covered Forge World and a Desert Forge World.

Kadoken on
    edited August 2010
    They said it's possible that another "forge world" would come as DLC, but they are going to have to be careful not to have another Foundry -> Sandbox situation where the first map becomes obsolete.

FyreWulff on
    edited August 2010
    I have a feeling that we're not going to get anything added to Forge World for the simple fact that someone mentioned, ALL user created maps are playable out of the box (so to speak) instead of needing to purchase DLC.
    Though a snow covered Forge World would be pretty nice for winter games.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Up until today, I haven't messed with Forge since before ODST was released and I'd never even seen Sandbox. Just a couple hours of poking around as a warm-up for Forge World makes me realize how horribly tedious it must be to make any kind of map not entirely at ground level. I'm also reminded of why I never bothered much with Forge in the first place.

Still, the new Forge looks awesome enough to actually convince me to do some more work with the current lame version. Yeah, anything interesting I might make will only take a literal fraction of the effort in Forge 2.0, but the ideas are more important than the physical results at this point anyway. I'm also much more interested in the new maps people might make rather than recreating old ones. The recreations are neat as being proof of concept, but it's more interesting to me to have a map-building tool that powerful on a console.

However, I would like to see goofy things like taking everything in the standard Blood Gulch map and jamming it all on one end or the other. Basically, both bases facing each other about ten feet away with the full complement of weapons, powerups, buildings, and vehicles. No more thirty-minute spans where nobody can manage to grab a flag.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited August 2010
    There won't be an update to forgeworld itself... I'm sure they already jammed as many pieces into it as they can. I could see a forgeworld 2 as DLC. It won't have the foundry/sandbox effect because... well.. sandbox added basic forge features that foundry didn't have, forgeworld isn't missing anything huge like that. Forgeworld 2 could have a different asthectic and different forgeable areas to it. As incredible as forgeworld looks, I'm sure we will want some sort of terrain that isn't in it (two islands close by each other... a massive island... a large concave area like standoff).

Once you know all the tricks, Halo 3 forge isn't THAT bad. It takes some extra time, but you can phase blocks together, use a extra blocks as sort of a snap to grid feature, and even float blocks midair (without stacking stuff underneath them).

Ratsult2 on
    edited August 2010
    For some reason my friend thinks its bad that Forge is easier now. He said that now everyone can make maps, and no one will care for the pros or something like that. I thought that was retarded, if a map is good, no matter who made it, its good. Plus those forge pros can make even better things now, so why complain?

Kadoken on
    edited August 2010
    Accessibility is the natural enemy of snobbery.

DogEight on
    edited August 2010
    Didn't that ViDoc say THIS EXACT SAME THING? As in a map, if it's good, will be circulated around and get played, regardless of who made it.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg