As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Your Gaming White Whale

THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny.Real shiny.Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
After more than 20 years I finally beat my white whale of gaming.

supermariobros31.jpg

It was awesome. For years I couldn't get past some of the world 8 levels either because I ran out of lives or because it pissed me off so much.

So I went to town this week on it and ended up with around 60 lives and 4 rows of items to choose from.

I made it through using a P-Wing and finally got to the big man.

beat-super-mario-bros-3-200X200.jpg

I finally did it. And as small Mario.

What are your gaming white whales PA?

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
THEPAIN73 on

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I....I still haven't beaten SMB 1.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Metal Gear Solid 3. I got to the end, right when I lost my eye. I was told everything from that point forward was pure awesome.

I had to move out of my apartment back home after school. I somehow lost my copy in the move and never beat it. That was like 4 years ago...

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I don't think I have either. D:

Buttcleft on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I finally beat ff7.

I have attempted the game a few other times before. The first time through I was a very impatient child and I rushed the whole game. By the time I got to Sepheroth I was just powerful enough for the fight to last until I ran out of mana. I couldn't win. The next couple of times I played the game I made it to various stages and whatever happened in life took me away from it.

Recently I picked it back up again and finally finished it. I'm a lot more willing to grind levels than I was when I was younger it seems.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Entaru wrote: »
    I finally beat ff7.

I have attempted the game a few other times before. The first time through I was a very impatient child and I rushed the whole game. By the time I got to Sepheroth I was just powerful enough for the fight to last until I ran out of mana. I couldn't win. The next couple of times I played the game I made it to various stages and whatever happened in life took me away from it.

Recently I picked it back up again and finally finished it. I'm a lot more willing to grind levels than I was when I was younger it seems.

why were you not using ethers/elixers when you ran out of mana?

Buttcleft on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I will always remember the day I finally beat Mario 1 legitimately, because it was the day I graduated from high school. I just went home and felt the need to do it, level 1-1 to 8-4, no warps. It ended epically, I think with 2 lives left, because of that stupid final hammer brother.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mega Man 1. I've never gotten past the final boss.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For a long time, years ago, Relentless (also known as Little Big Adventure) was my white whale.

Synthesis on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    demon_soul1.jpg

I played this game for around an hour and turned it off in disgust. Everything it did made me angry, and it was doing it on purpose, and it enjoyed it. Somewhere there were developers laughing at me.

Weeks later I realized that I missed the whole point of the game. It had exposed how soft most current games have made me. I will probably never go back to it, but it will always be there as a very good game I dismissed for foolish reasons.

chamberlain on
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hitting max level in World of Warcraft.

This time i think i might make it.

Talkc on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    thesummoning.jpg

belligerent on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Legend of Dragoon.

Damn that game. First time I tried I played about 10 hours... and decided to restart for who knows what reason (I did that a lot when I was younger). The next time I played really far. I was on the last disc doing some of the side-quest bosses... the other Dragoons you had to fight in the tower thingies. I forget which one I got to... all I know is I stopped for some reason.

After that I promptly lost the game and it has bothered me ever since.

Damn that game.

DemonStacey on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    demon_soul1.jpg

I played this game for around an hour and turned it off in disgust. Everything it did made me angry, and it was doing it on purpose, and it enjoyed it. Somewhere there were developers laughing at me.

Weeks later I realized that I missed the whole point of the game. It had exposed how soft most current games have made me. I will probably never go back to it, but it will always be there as a very good game I dismissed for foolish reasons.

I wish we got that cover.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FFIX, Disk 3.

I played it when it came out, maybe a few years latter, I think I was in middle school. I got the the point where the villain captures you and sends you to some ruin to get an artifact or some shit like that, I don't remember. The point being, he says "HEY YOU CANT USE MAGIC THERE THATS WHY IM SENDING YOU, HINT HINT HINT HINT" And I think, "Oh, he can't use magic, big deal." Who do I bring? Main Character, Blackmage, Whitemage, Redmage. Guess who can't use magic either?

Of course, there was no area where I could go back and change who was in my party, everyone else was still prisoners on the ship.

VicWhiten on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was going to 2nd Demon's Souls, as a recent [strike]submissive[/strike] player, but I'm gonna say Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. I got to the part where you can play deadliest catch instead of Zelda, and I got bored. Never went back. Regret it.

DietarySupplement on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Homeworld. I stopped on that STUPID mission where everything not in a cloud or asteroid field is killed by radiation damage.

And turning asteroids into resources kills your harvesters.

JOY

I bet I could do it now though.

Xagar on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blaster Master on the NES. I made it all the way to this fucker once:
    (the first boss shown, not the second one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j29OxPtfIMk

And I died. It was my last life on my last continue. I never made it to him again. And watching that video, I am kind of glad I didn't, because I would have been pissed off to find out there was another boss after him.

SteevL on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think that, overall, I've probably finished under half of the games I've ever played. None of them would be my white whale, though, as I'm not following them around with a big pointy stick (metaphorically). I just gradually lost interest when I was younger, as my dad would always buy another game eventually and I'd focus on trying to beat him at it.

I keep buying various copies of Civilisation, however, and I finally won a game, Civ 4 on easiest difficulty, about three months back. Maybe one day I will try Chieftain difficulty...

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I don't think I have either. D:

I can never get to 8-4 as anything other than small Mario. I can usually get to Bowser, but then he goes psycho and I die.

Any Final Fantasy aside from 4 and 7. I always try to do all of the sidequests, which seem to get mashed in somewhere around when it's time for the final dungeon. I get burned out because they're boring and/or tedious, but I can't ever bring myself to face the final boss until I've done them all.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ha, the day I beat A Boy and his Blob (the original) was one of the greatest days of my gaming career.

I went through that whole cavern of hell, collected jelly beans and treasure, then took a root beer rocket to the planet blobalonia. I then worked through the hellish candy factory and finally beat the emperor. I was so giddy after that victyory. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Right now the game I've gotten the closest to beating without actually beating it is Final Fantasy XIII. I've gotten all the way to Chapter 11, when you hit Gran Pulse and the game turns in to a grindfest, and my will to complete it ran out. It's a shame, too, as it's the first singleplayer FF game I've ever played.

Hehe, speaking of Demon's Souls, I just started up a new mage this morning before work, rushed through 1-1. Fun times, love that game.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Parasite Eve 2. I don't consider this a major loss as the game wasn't that good, but I remember renting it having fallen in love with the first game.

Apparently, when they decided to make the sequel, they went the 'Resident Evil' route with the controls but tried to turn it into a confusing, muddled action RPG that just would not play in a way that my 12 year old mind could concieve. After running around that stupid desert town for what felt like hours, finding a secret lab, and realizing that this was in no way like the game I played, I stopped.

I read on an FAQ some odd years later that I was pretty close to the end, and that if I had stuck it out and not been such a bitch I would have cleared it.

Despite this, I've since rented the game and still have not finished it. I don't know what it is. Every time I start the fucker up, I lose interest almost immediately, even though I understand the controls and the gameplay better.

It's like one time, I fell alseep while watching the movie Stargate. Now, every time the scene comes on where I fell asleep, I get sleepy. Must be something psychosomatic.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sam_%26_Max_Hit_the_Road_artwork.jpg

I got it in 1995

I completed it in 2007.

Seriously some parts of it I had no clue what the hell I was meant to be doing

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, I also haven't completed Red Dead Redemption. Not because I can't, but I got to the part where I have rescued my family and I know what's about to happen and I don't want it to :(

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, I also haven't completed Red Dead Redemption. Not because I can't, but I got to the part where I have rescued my family and I know what's about to happen and I don't want it to :(

To be fair, unless you read a spoiler, you probably don't.

freakish light on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Umm... Fatal Frame II.

It's just too fucking scary. No doubt if I put enough time into it I'd be running through the game with the player character dressed in a pink tutu with a magic wand for her camera, and I'd know where all the ghosts will pop out and it would all be so ho-hum.

But I never got to that point, and the game just creeps the shit out of me.

But I love it so much, the other day I bought myself a new, sealed copy so I could return the copy I borrowed from my younger brother. I have no idea if I ever intend to try it again, but I know I want it in my library.

Edit: or maybe platinuming Mirror's Edge.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Chrono Cross. I like the game a lot, but for some reason I just get distracted around the beginning of disc 2 and forget about the game for years. I've done that three times now.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How can you not reference your thread title to THIS?!

WHITE! WHALE! HOLY! GRAIL!

About once a year, I try to learn to play Madden, they advertise a tutorial to help any player, and every year it's simply not true.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    About once a year, I try to learn to play Madden, they advertise a tutorial to help any player, and every year it's simply not true.

Well, do you like football?

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Silent Hill 2

I really liked 1, but I've been blocked on progressing through 2 a few times. I'll get around to it eventually.

My previous example of this was A Link to the Past, but I finally got around to playing it.

Renzo on
    edited July 2010
    Chrono Cross. I like the game a lot, but for some reason I just get distracted around the beginning of disc 2 and forget about the game for years. I've done that three times now.

I forced myself to play through this, even finish the terrible final boss.

What a load of crap compared to the original this game was. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • TylanthusTylanthus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    God of War 2. Bought it on PS2, played ~8 hours. Bought the rerelease on PS3... played it a couple of hours.

Now it sits there and I have no desire to play it or GoW3. I have no logical explanation for it.

Tylanthus on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    I finally beat ff7.

why were you not using ethers/elixers when you ran out of mana?

I didn't have many, I was impatient back then.

I also thought that ,for some reason, I couldn't leave the North Crater once I entered. I don't know why I thought that.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've never beaten Diablo 1

Taramoor on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That gap in ninja turtles for the NES that you can't jump over. I almost got in fights with people as a child who said they got past it, especially when they mocked me to my face stating "they just walked over it".

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anything with Ninja Gaiden in the title. I never finished any of the NES ones and got about halfway through the XBox version.

TMNT 1 on the NES: Either the dam stage or that one sewer jump that all the guides said to get a turbo controller for.

Nobody on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Chance wrote: »
    Umm... Fatal Frame II.

It's just too fucking scary. No doubt if I put enough time into it I'd be running through the game with the player character dressed in a pink tutu with a magic wand for her camera, and I'd know where all the ghosts will pop out and it would all be so ho-hum.

But I never got to that point, and the game just creeps the shit out of me.

But I love it so much, the other day I bought myself a new, sealed copy so I could return the copy I borrowed from my younger brother. I have no idea if I ever intend to try it again, but I know I want it in my library.

Edit: or maybe platinuming Mirror's Edge.

If it makes you feel any better, Chance - you are not alone. Fatal Frame II scares the shit out of me. I have started it three times and only make it a few hours in before I just have to walk away. Demons, zombies, monsters? They do nothing to me. But ghosts? They just ruin me.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okami. Loved the fuck out of the game but I think I only got about 20% into the game? I don't even have the sword yet, I just beat the first major boss
    Spider Queen, where you need the Vine Celestial Brush technique
    and then I couldn't keep going.

Pity, because I really liked what I enjoyed of the game, but the fact that it's on the PS2 and I don't have a BC PS3 means I'm unlikely to ever finish it. I guess I'll have to settle for Okamiden.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited July 2010
    That gap in ninja turtles for the NES that you can't jump over. I almost got in fights with people as a child who said they got past it, especially when they mocked me to my face stating "they just walked over it".

Yea, you can't jump that gap...but hey were right, you pretty much just walk over it.

The NES TMNT game gets me at the dam every time. I just can't beat the explosives on the dam due to the stupid electric seaweed. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Resident Evil Four. I loved the game and almost beat it multiple times, but each time I get inexplicably sidetracked by life and am forced to let it lie for months or years. By the time I get back I always have no idea what to do next, forcing me to restart and invariably get sidetracked before the end.

Z0re on