As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Your Gaming White Whale

• n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The game in my sig/avatar, Below the Root.

When I was a small child, that game was tough as shit. I had to play it at my grandma's place since it was on the Tandy they owned. I would play a little bit at a time for months before I got to the last bit. Grandma had been yelling at me for fifteen minutes to get of the computer, time for bed. I hurried up and started to save the game, but granny has had enough of this shit and pulled the plug. All that time, lost, like tears in the rain.

About 15 years later, I knuckled down and decided to conquer that shit, which I managed to do in about 3 hours. It was just as incredible as I had remembered.

:3

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The sega genesis version of Mortal Kombat 2. It's plugged in right now, taunting me. I can't even beat it on 'very easy'

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Toe Jam and Earl the first one. I only ever got to 8/10 ship pieces and then my friend and I would run out of lives. Damn thinking about it again made me realize how awesome that game was.

Tridus1x on
  • PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Currently going through my own right now: Loom, the Lucasarts adventure game from the 90's. My uncle had it on his computer when I was a little kid and one time my brother and I stayed over for the night. Me, my brother, my aunt, and my uncle all played until at least 3 in the morning (my first ever gaming marathon! ).

I think we were up to the very end, some dude who just kept taunting us as we played the wrong magical songs. Never did get past him, thoguh now that I'm playing the game on Steam and having a bit more experience under my belt I think I see what song I have to play (and I think it was in the instruction book to begin with :p)

Pooch on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    That gap in ninja turtles for the NES that you can't jump over. I almost got in fights with people as a child who said they got past it, especially when they mocked me to my face stating "they just walked over it".

Yea, you can't jump that gap...but hey were right, you pretty much just walk over it.

Looks like someone's gettin' a punchin'.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I, too, bear the secret shame of never having finished super mario bros 1 or 3.

SMB1 - I can get to 8-3 usually, but seldom hit 8-4 and certainly got raped by bowser every time I saw him.

SMB3 - like the OP, I'd always get 1/2 to 2/3 through world 8 before succumbing to attrition or anger. I've never even seen that bowser except on the youtubes.

SaraLuna on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Eye_of_the_Beholder_I_PC_box.jpeg

All three of them actually. As of today I have the manuals but not the disks. The game wasn't even hard, but damned if you could make it through to the end without the perfect party setup.

One of these days I will buy an old 486DX and curbstomp the entire series in one sitting.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    Eye_of_the_Beholder_I_PC_box.jpeg

All three of them actually. As of today I have the manuals but not the disks. The game wasn't even hard, but damned if you could make it through to the end without the perfect party setup.

One of these days I will buy an old 486DX and curbstomp the entire series in one sitting.

you cant just run it in an emulator?

Buttcleft on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wind Waker. No, fuck you TriForce hunt, fuck you!

Ahem.

I got stuck in Eye of the Beholder II and never finished it. The games had some bullshit mazes / puzzles that were easy to miss if you didn't search every corner of the game. Which is a shame as I always heard the second was the best of the series.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Xagar wrote: »
    Homeworld. I stopped on that STUPID mission where everything not in a cloud or asteroid field is killed by radiation damage.

And turning asteroids into resources kills your harvesters.

JOY

I bet I could do it now though.

Mine would be Homeworld 2. It's the only game I can recall where I cheated to get to the ending. I painted myself into a corner with my fleet and hit a wall of lame in one of the missions. Didn't want to go back and redo old missions since I was so close to finishing, but regretted not "earning" the ending. I really should go back and play that game again....or maybe I'll just go back and play the superior Homeworld :P
    Cool Demon's Souls cover
    I wish we got that cover.
    If you bought the Deluxe Edition you would have ;-)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Star Wars: Dark Forces. Level 6. Rescue Crix Madine from a high security Imperial prison as Kyle Katarn.

Years and years later I still have not been able to beat the prison. Primarily because the level design is atrocious and the level's lighting sucks. I don't even know how to get every level of the elevator working and I don't really want to look up a walkthrough.

So ya, fuck you Crix, rot in that cell.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Legend of Dragoon.

It's not a white whale for me, because I don't give a shit about it anymore, but I stopped playing at the final boss and never went back. I do that a lot with JRPG's. I find I didn't grind enough to beat a boss, I hate grinding, so I just stop.

My personal white whale is Persona 3. I really like the game, I find it interesting, and I don't even hate the battle system or exploration. But for whatever reason I just can't get through it. I'll get an hour or two in about once a month. A few times I swore I'd get through it, and I was playing in real time. Maybe I'll catch up and stick to that schedule again.

PolloDiablo on
  • Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nobody wrote: »
    Anything with Ninja Gaiden in the title. I never finished any of the NES ones and got about halfway through the XBox version.

So damn true. I finally got to the point where I could beat earlier levels without taking a single hit, but sooner or later the difficulty curve just broke my teeth off and made me choke on them.

Chance wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    About once a year, I try to learn to play Madden, they advertise a tutorial to help any player, and every year it's simply not true.

Well, do you like football?

These games are way easier to play if you really like football. The tutorials don't work because it's not just about knowing when to press which button. You have to spend a lot of time in Practice Mode running the same play, over and over, against different defenses. Once you have 6 or 7 plays that you know incredibly well the game gets a lot easier.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Great topic.

I, too, don't think I ever beat SMB3 back in the day. I have yet to actually make any attempt at playing Final Fantasy 7... and I have no interest in doing so. I've tried on many occasions, but I feel that it's just so terribly bad... that I couldn't possibly enjoy it.

I realize I'm in the minority on this.

Also never played entirely through Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I did, however, finally beat SMB3 more recently. It was a good feeling.

GPIA7R on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okami. Loved the fuck out of the game but I think I only got about 20% into the game? I don't even have the sword yet, I just beat the first major boss
    Spider Queen, where you need the Vine Celestial Brush technique
    and then I couldn't keep going.
    Pity, because I really liked what I enjoyed of the game, but the fact that it's on the PS2 and I don't have a BC PS3 means I'm unlikely to ever finish it. I guess I'll have to settle for Okamiden.
    I don't suppose you have a Wii?
    Personally, I bought a used PS2 for cheaps when the game came out, just to play it on. So worth it. <3

Glal on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    That gap in ninja turtles for the NES that you can't jump over. I almost got in fights with people as a child who said they got past it, especially when they mocked me to my face stating "they just walked over it".

Yea, you can't jump that gap...but hey were right, you pretty much just walk over it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!/Mr Bill :winky:

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I....I still haven't beaten SMB 1.

Don't feel bad, man. I only finished it myself back in '06. I actually decided to marathon the entire game. No warp zones, nothin'.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have four Nippon Ichi SRPGs for my PS2 and the only one I have made even a little progress on is La Pucelle. I never even took Phantom Brave or Makai Kingdom out of the cases.

I keep telling myself I'll go back to it, but I'm compelled to get caught up on this gen first. Its hard to say no to playing mass effect 2 for something I bought when I was in high school.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mine would definitely have to be Sonic 2. I could always get to the end (I think?) with the Robo-Sonic, but I would have 0-1 coins on me and could never manage to dodge him. I think this will haunt me forever since I probably won't ever play it again.

Also, more recently would probably be Final Fantasy 6. I've played it on the SNES, an emulator, and most recently on the PS1 collection. I've started and restarted it over the past 6 years and somehow always get distracted. I usually end up stopping at the same place in the game too. Someday I'll finish it. I hope.

Shaggy on
  • jagerboltjagerbolt Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mine would be Battletoads. Was so excited for that game when I got it but it always destroyed me. I tried for years but the farthest I got was that stage where you have to run away from that orb of death or whatever.

jagerbolt on
    d89dcff329912a4f.png
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The NES TMNT game gets me at the dam every time. I just can't beat the explosives on the dam due to the stupid electric seaweed. :x

that damn electric seaweed killed me every time. :x

I still havent beaten Diablo 2. Every time i get to the desert, i lose interest. I burnt myself out on the original Diablo, having beaten it 123049723901 times.

Still havent completed Front Mission 4 either. Quit playing it after my first kid was born over 5 years ago. :/

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The true demon ending of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. I can only bring myself to play the game for 6 hours or so every six months, as it's just that damned hard. I'm a little over 2/3 of the way through the game, and one day I will beat it with the true demon ending. If I wasn't going for that most difficult of endings, I likely would have beaten it by now.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

The NES TMNT game gets me at the dam every time. I just can't beat the explosives on the dam due to the stupid electric seaweed. :x

that damn electric seaweed killed me every time. :x

I still havent beaten Diablo 2. Every time i get to the desert, i lose interest.

For me it's act three. The jungle-like area. The three or four times I was into Diablo II I'd get about halfway through the Act III quests and then lose interest.

Then my account would be purged by the time I got back around to playing again.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Back in the early 80's my family had an Apple IIe... this was one of our favourites on 5.25"

Lode_Runner_Coverart.png

My eldest brother beat it, but I never could... we got rid of the old computer probably by the time I was 6 or 7 and I just didn't have the skills to get past ~level 120.

If I recall there were only 50 puzzles and you played each 3 times, each successive time there were more guards or the puzzle was reversed, or something that made it harder. Ah, the fog of time... I should dig up an old copy and try it out.

Phisti on
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A season in a sports game. From MLB the Show, and EA's NHL series and Madden. I'll get 20 games or so (usually 6 or 7 into Madden) into a season and not finish.

Luckily the latest NHL games have had an option to play just the playoffs, so I might actually get to witness that part of the game.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Adrenaline wrote: »
    A season in a sports game. From MLB the Show, and EA's NHL series and Madden. I'll get 20 games or so (usually 6 or 7 into Madden) into a season and not finish.

Luckily the latest NHL games have had an option to play just the playoffs, so I might actually get to witness that part of the game.

I was in the same boat as you, until EA added that option to play as a created player only and you start on a farm team. Kinda RPG-ish to level up and such.

DietarySupplement on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    homeworldfront.jpg
    Nearly beat it once. Nearly. I was at the final level, was doing decently, then my mothership exploded without warning. Reload, happens again, at the same point. Reload, keep a close eye on my mothership this time, what was happening was the reinforcement fleet that warps in to save your bacon was accidentally colliding with it.

Three reloads later with the same result, and I gave up. Didn't think to backup the save, haven't had the patience to get that far again.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited July 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Legend of Dragoon.

It's not a white whale for me, because I don't give a shit about it anymore, but I stopped playing at the final boss and never went back. I do that a lot with JRPG's. I find I didn't grind enough to beat a boss, I hate grinding, so I just stop.

Its especially irritating if you can't leave the end dungeon after entering.

Buttcleft on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I still don't think I've truly beaten killer7.

Linespider5 on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finally playing Team Fortress 2 online. Seriously: I've had it for nigh on 20 months now and all this time I've had this completily irrational brick-shitting fear of actually playing online with other people and only broke it about 20 hours ago. I even made top of the team for the rounds I played!
    Granted, top of a team that was getting royally reamed and won only by the good grace of the last point of Dustbowl being a complete bitch for Blu, but nevertheless.

Sorenson on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Finally playing Team Fortress 2 online. Seriously: I've had it for nigh on 20 months now and all this time I've had this completily irrational brick-shitting fear of actually playing online with other people and only broke it about 20 hours ago. I even made top of the team for the rounds I played!
    Granted, top of a team that was getting royally reamed and won only by the good grace of the last point of Dustbowl being a complete bitch for Blu, but nevertheless.

That's adorable <3

Do you play any other games online? It's a mixed bag, but TF2 generally has fewer assholes than other FPS games.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited July 2010

That's adorable <3

Do you play any other games online? It's a mixed bag, but TF2 generally has fewer assholes than other FPS games.

Only if you stick to the PA servers.

Buttcleft on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

That's adorable <3

I can relate. I avoided playing Modern Warfare multiplayer like the plague until I finally learned that I enjoy playing it if I'm playing Team Deathmatch and take the time to mute absolutely every single person that I come into contact with online.

Ceno on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ceno wrote: »

That's adorable <3

I can relate. I avoided playing Modern Warfare multiplayer like the plague until I finally learned that I enjoy playing it if I'm playing Team Deathmatch and take the time to mute absolutely every single person that I come into contact with online.

If you access your account on xboxlive.com, you can change your privacy settings so you only hear people that are on your friends list. Best feature on Live, as far as I'm concerned.

[EDIT] Obviously, this doesn't apply to PS3 and PC, but just a tip for 360 players.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I do wish PS3 had it.

People on Uncharted 2 are idiots.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rogue - without saves i did eventually beat it... after 2 years
    Transylvania 1 and 2 - never beat them but i was poor and at the mercy of my father and and the mystery grab bag that was the bargain bin, sometimes you got secrets of the luftwaffe and others times tongue of the fat man

farbekrieg on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    I do wish PS3 had it.

People on XBL/PSN are generally idiots.

If I hear one more youngster who's balls havn't even dropped yet call me names and rage quit, I may just choke someone. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    I do wish PS3 had it.

People on XBL/PSN are generally idiots.

If I hear one more youngster who's balls havn't even dropped yet playing a fucking M-rated game over Xbox Live period, I may just choke someone. :x

Fixed. These damn kids and my lawn and hrglbrgl

Ceno on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Willeth wrote: »

Yeah that was the irony of the situation. The dam did take us a while to finish, multiple tries, but it was doable, and once we got through once, we never had a problem doing it ever again. It was pretty nintendo hard at the time though.

edit: christ, I typed 1ce instead of once.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • RedThornRedThorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finishing Shoot the Bullet is my white whale. I'm convinced that goddamned game has caused at least 10% of all my swearing ever. I'm not terribly good at it and I don't think I'll ever actually finish it, but something about it compels me to continue trying to beat it.

Such bullshit.

RedThorn on
    League of Legends: Drokmir
    Steam: Drokmir