As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini-Phalla]: Earth Defense Fleet No. 3 - GAME OVER. VILLAGE VICTORY.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You could always blast that sympathiser aboard the Williams into space.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rawkking badguy is way more evil than Kay

I can feel it

Alegis on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    are you fucking kidding meoOOOooOOoOooOo

M.D. on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Rawkking badguy is way more evil than Kay

I can feel it

ALEGGIS!! <3

I'm home!

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited July 2010
    !Rawkking Goodguy, because I'm tired of not spacing someone and he seems to have a fair chance of being a sympathizer

Shushnik on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    wut

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Void Slayer

THE RNG KNOWS ALL.

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited July 2010
    wut

Hehe, that was fun.

!Kay

We could have gotten along. We could have worked together. But no, you guys had to make a ship eating planet destroyer. And you used your naughty bits. For shame!

Shushnik on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited July 2010
    Whoops, revote

!Kay

Shushnik on
  • Options
    CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    !Kay just to get a vote out there.

Celebrim on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OoOoO

Mechanics discussion in 5, 4, 3...

oOoOo

You have no idea Jdark.

You have no idea.

So many things to love about this game. So many things to hate as well.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Shushnik wrote: »
    And you used your naughty bits. For shame!

But don't...

don't....

:whistle: Don't you want me? - You know I can't believe it when I hear that you won't see meee :whistle:

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited July 2010
    !Rawkking Goodguy. You deserve that vote

Shushnik on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    :whistle:
    It's much too late to find
    When you think you've changed your mind

You'd better change it back or we'll both beee sorrrryyy! :whistle:

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited July 2010
    Seriously, the cold fingers of space are too good for you.

Shushnik on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The thing that confuses me is that if Han and Chewie are in the Sarlaac...

...who the hell is flying the Williams?

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goodness gracious me!

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    How about...

lando6-2.jpg

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    :^:

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Heads-Up: Narration is going to come early tonight. Might be up in as little as an hour or so, in fact. I'm being dragged off to go and... socialize.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That just means that Venetians die faster.

Farangu on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kay

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    THE END - RNG FTW!

death-star-explodes.jpg

The SARLAAC's fate is sealed in just a few fleeting minutes. The ESN Williams and the remaining Viper wing of the dead ESN Cain zip through the maze of the planet killer's guts until they find themselves staring down it's fusion chamber & power regulator.

They have only this once chance to destroy the beast.

They do not fail.

A salvo of missiles & proton torpedoes incinerate the vital components keeping the SARLAAC's power core stable. She begins to shake apart, consumed from the inside out by accreting cosmic forces as the fighters & freighter that struck the fatal blow race to safety.

"All ships, prepare for hyperspace jump! She's gonna blow!"

Han & Chewie use the SARLAAC's own transporter room to materialize themselves back onto the Williams while the Spartan hops back in his dropship and makes like a bat out of Hell. The Chief creates a quantum waveform, and just as the planet killer lights up, the remnants of Earth Defense Fleet No. 3 vanish from the region.

With their superweapon & last hope crushed, the Venusian rebellion is finally put to rest. It's political leaders and intellectual proponents are rounded-up into re-education camps, and humanity begins to embrace a sterile, conformist future.
    VILLAGE VICTORY!

270px-Unicron_head_orbit.jpg

THINGS:

Thanks for playing! The game balance & mechanics needed a lot of work overall (I shouldn't have tried to just slap this together over just two nights), and I think I've learned that die rolling mechanics don't seem to work very well in Phallas for two reasons:

- They begin to dominate everything, so the social engineering aspects of the game become lost.

- YOU GUYS ARE SUCH CHEATERS! :P Especially 3Clipse, who Megatin (...while doing his own cheating) discovered was making rolls in Orokos and in Invisible castle and then using the best of the two results.

*Shakes fist*

If I run another dice-based game (I don't think I'd try another dice-based Phalla), I'm thinking I'll make the rolls for people. ;)

(Just so you know, I don't really care about the cheating, especially since this was such a short & rough game anyway. I just thought it was worth mentioning)

I'll get the OP properly dressed-up and post player roles & powers & such when I get back home tonight (or, if you guys prefer, feel free to just do your own epic reveals). Once again, thanks for playing. I had a bunch of fun, and I know that there was some frustration to be had with some (most?) of the mechanics not being explained well enough.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    MegatinMegatin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    To be fair, I was dead when I was cheating, so it didn't affect the outcome of the game in any way.

Megatin on
  • Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just to throw this out there, this was a very fun game to watch! The failed voting attempts and narration were good stuff! Nifty game you had here Ender!

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Haha nice. Way to go 3clipse.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm guessing 3clipse was the navigator of the williams who we tried to off tonight?

way to go

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tons of fun playing and watching, though.

I would highly recommend you enlist a co-host for your next game. They tend to be highly complex, and having someone who can answer questions during the day while you're not around would make everything run a lot smoother I think.

Megatin on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ender is there some way that I could guarantee a spot for myself in any phalla you host from now til the end of time

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Khan board, unlocked I think:

http://makeitsopeople.proboards.com/index.cgi

Best quote:
    "The superBoom Boom Ray acts like a primary weapon. It is at +2 to hit, and deals 1d1000000 x 2 damage. It ignores shields. "

Megatin on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    While I suppose it works, I really, strongly playing any game where I have to feign inactivity. I much prefer being able to perform a weaker mafia action than having to make retarded excuses for why I was inactive.

For those of you who were village, every mafioso not on the khan had a special power we could use. However, we could not use it and perform our actual role on the ship during that time, causing us to show up in the narration as inactive. Mine was pretty vital (prevent target ship from boosting shields or using emergency repairs, presumably only if I beat the dice roll of the officers in question with my +6 bonus). Since Sir Fabulous was genuinely inactive, the only time this got used was the day I came in when I used it on the Piett as Alegis detonated a torpedo on it. Which makes me a bit sad because we might have blown up the Williams if Sir Fab wasn't voted out for excessive inactivity.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well this was weird

Nothing like a phalla at all but fun cinematic experience (though truth be told I never looked at all the ship fight stats stuff) with rich narration. Definitely makes for a good watch game.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If there's any RNG in any games (and my 'The Thing' phalla used some RNG stuff), it's best that the host does it all, or sets up a means to make sure it's all done fairly. As you proved, you can't trust people to be fair about it. :P

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Very entertaining, The Ender. Crazy, crazy shit going on all the time.

Now, step into my parlor, said the spider to the fly...

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh hey, we won!

Well, the easy way to prevent cheating is to use a site like orokos that enforces logins, of course then anyone can look up everybody's rolls, or force everybody to use a known campaign name

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I want to know if my 24 roll was high enough to capture Han Solo : (

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I want to know if my 24 roll was high enough to capture Han Solo : (

Unfortunately, your 24 did not beat Han & Chewie's 27.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, pretty much the same comments about this game as last game.

Very fun, but with quite a few frustrating mechanics.

1) Vote immunity should be used sparingly, if at all. There is nothing more frustrating for a village than knowing whose mafia but being able to do shit all about it.

2)RNG (rolling) based mechanics. I'm not really a fan of using RNG to determine large parts of the game as it takes the control away from the players a bit. Personally, i would of preferred if each player had a set strength and each ship had X points to allocate between all players (without knowing the DCs) such that they had to strategize where is most important to allocate. This would also involve the mafia infiltrators more.

3)It looks like there were too many mafia or the game was balanced for too many of them. They didn't seem to be at all concerned about revealing themselves after about day 2 and this game sort of deteriorated away from a game a 'mafia' to ship-battling.

All that said, this was still very fun and your games so far have had a flavor that make them a joy to play in.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    1) Vote immunity should be used sparingly, if at all. There is nothing more frustrating for a village than knowing whose mafia but being able to do shit all about it.

as far as I'm concerned, the village literally asked for the vote to be useless.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Oh hey, we won!

Well, the easy way to prevent cheating is to use a site like orokos that enforces logins, of course then anyone can look up everybody's rolls, or force everybody to use a known campaign name

Yeah, the rolls are public, so everyone would have to put a generic description in.

romanqwerty on