As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2010 Prius - Annoying reverse noise

UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So my mom just picked up her new car and while most everything is fine, it does have one annoying feature. When the car is put in reverse, there is a beeping noise as a sort of safety precaution. Is there a way to turn this off or at least have it only beep a few times? I'm going through the owner's manual now but it's 600 pages so I'm hoping to get a faster answer here.

Underdog on

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    try this?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It looked promising but then said that it doesn't work for the 2010 models. Oh well, I think it was more annoying for me than for her anyway. Maybe the next time she's at the dealership, she can ask them about changing it to one beep or something.

Underdog on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Isn't that the "There's something behind your car" beeping?

Or is this the "the bus is backing up children" beeping?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Underdog wrote: »
    It looked promising but then said that it doesn't work for the 2010 models. Oh well, I think it was more annoying for me than for her anyway. Maybe the next time she's at the dealership, she can ask them about changing it to one beep or something.

since you're in canada, shouldn't you have the US version?

and as I read this
    Note the above only works in the US and not in Europe/UK on the 2009-10 models.
    as "this works for the 09/10 US cars but not the 09/10 UK/europe cars.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Find the source of the beeping (the speaker), and disconnect it.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    maverickpixelmaverickpixel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    you mom should probably keep it on, since she is both a woman and owns a prius

you can tell her its an alarm she knows when to get back to the kitchen

:D

maverickpixel on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Underdog wrote: »

since you're in canada, shouldn't you have the US version?

and as I read this
    Note the above only works in the US and not in Europe/UK on the 2009-10 models.
    as "this works for the 09/10 US cars but not the 09/10 UK/europe cars.

That's weird because the first paragraph ends with this:

Unfortunately this does not work with Prius 2010 model (North America)

Maybe I'll give it a try anyway. And Sniperguy, it's the "this truck is backing up" noise except inside the car rather than outside, if that makes sense.

Underdog on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Dang, it should be outside the car. I've been almost backed over on more than one occasion because someone wasn't paying attention to their driving and I couldn't hear the car.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Doc wrote: »
    Dang, it should be outside the car. I've been almost backed over on more than one occasion because someone wasn't paying attention to their driving and I couldn't hear the car.

lol that's actually something that's covered in the owner's manual. It says something like "When only running the traction engine (i.e. electricity only), be more aware of people and objects around you because the car runs extremely quietly." Sometimes it's actually kinda creepy in the car because it's so silent.

Underdog on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think I read somewhere that you could even change the beep to another 2 second custom sample (think ringtones), if you need it to be less irritating. Might be part of the ECU.

You should just remind your Mom that it's there for her/others safety, even Tesla Motors is thinking about simulating engine noise etc.

Zilla360 on