As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I get a Galaxy S?

RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So my contract is up and I can officially leave my little G1 behind and move onto bigger and better things!
I've been looking around for a while now and had my heart set on a Motorola Milestone (aka Droid?). I like the qwerty keyboard so much more than onscreen.

However, I popped into a phone shop the other week and they had a Samsung Galaxy S on display and it's oh-so pretty. The navigation just seemed miles faster that the milestone i was comparing it with, the screen brighter etc etc. The only clincher for me was the lack of qwerty.

However, things have changed. I wanted to leave T-Mobile for Orange, but upon ringing for my PAC code, the guy did his very best to convince me otherwise, saying I could get the loyalty upgrades etc. But T-Mobile don't offer the Milestone, because apparently it didn't pass their quality control, so they won't distribute it cause they don't want to offer a warrenty on it (a quick google shows that Orange don't either, I'd have to go via Carphone Warehouse.)

He did mention the LG Intouch, but I'm not overly struck on it. The Galaxy though...

So what should I do? I'm a little overwhelmed.
Is it worth staying with T-Mobile over Orange? Should I get a galaxy? Will I learn to love the on-screen keyboard? Is the Milestone that prone to break?

Help me PA. Give me your worldy opinions.

steam_sig.png
Rainbulimic on

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The android thread might be a good place to ask. Generally, the consensus seems to be "It's a great phone" but "Samsung tend not to support their products".

Having looked at the various options on the UK market right now, I plan on getting on a Galaxy S.

The Milestone is okay, it's not as powerful and the slide out keyboard worries me (a friend has one so I've played with it a bit). It's worth noting that he specifically got the Milestone because he wanted a "real" keyboard, he then installed Swype and no longer uses that keyboard at all. Also, there's some subtle difference between the Milestone and the Droid, although I can't quite remember what it is.

T-Mobile apparently have the best network for Smart Phones, whatever that means. The thing to do is ask Orange if they can beat your current deal with the phone you want, and then you ring T-Mobile and tell them you're quitting, you need them to transfer you to the customer retentions department (they won't call it this) where they'll ask you what the better offer is and then they will beat it. Or match it. Or in very rare cases (typically if you're on a very cheap contract) they'll let you go.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would stay away from the LG phone. Every LG phone that I have ever had, my brother has ever had, and one of my mates has ever had has broken. Never buying a LG product again.

What type of phone are you looking at getting? Do you want an Android phone or any OS? You want a qwerty pad or a touchscreen (looks like you have a small preference to the qwerty not too sure)

I quite like the new blackberry 9800. It has a touchscreen and a slide out qwerty. If I wasn't in love with my new iPhone I would probably get that. But only choose blackberry if you really like it (or can use it for work, using work exchange server etc)

iPhone and Android phones are it if you want quality apps though. No one else makes nearly as many.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I got one last week. It's great a great phone.

I don't know how the pricing is in the UK, but here if you don't sign a new contract with T-Mobile and pay for your phone up front, your service plan is cheaper as you're not subsidizing the cost of the phone. It worked out to be $280 cheaper over 2 years for me.

oldsak on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    galaxy yeS

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What about versus the HTC Desire?

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We actually just got out demo unit of the device where I work and it is quite a swanky device, very smooth with that snapdragon in there but like someone said before Samsung never seems to support there devices.

I've also had a hands on with the Galaxy (non s) that was just to sluggish and the Omnia 2 which will slowly make a person want to shoot themselves.

Much better build quality on this device though then the Omnia and the original Galaxy though.

Dixon on
  • Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dixon wrote: »
    We actually just got out demo unit of the device where I work and it is quite a swanky device, very smooth with that snapdragon in there but like someone said before Samsung never seems to support there devices.

I've also had a hands on with the Galaxy (non s) that was just to sluggish and the Omnia 2 which will slowly make a person want to shoot themselves.

Much better build quality on this device though then the Omnia and the original Galaxy though.

The Galaxy S has the Hummingbird. I have one, and so far it is an awesome phone. It is quick on everything, and the screen is amazing. This is a big enough device launch for Samsung that I think they are going to correct their support issues from the past.

Noquar on