As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Alien Swarm Mapping] So you've always wanted to learn how to map

2»

• rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Haha, and the next thing you'll tell me is that there's already a prop palette map with every prop on it for easy browsing

rRootagea on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    so basically I figured out that the game just assumes all entrances and exits are at the same level, so if you have a tile that exits at a different height it won't automatically match up with other exits

also none of the original maps were made with the tile generator in mind. They just happen to have 256 length exits

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Paladin wrote: »
    so basically I figured out that the game just assumes all entrances and exits are at the same level, so if you have a tile that exits at a different height it won't automatically match up with other exits

also none of the original maps were made with the tile generator in mind. They just happen to have 256 length exits

Yes, this is explained on the Valve dev wiki. All tiles have to be lined up with their floors at zero on the Z axis.

EDIT: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Swarm_TileGen_Building_Room_Templates_and_Themes

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited July 2010
    Ok, I've uploaded a *.vmf with a bunch of the static props on it. It's not quite done, and there's no nature stuff yet

rRootagea on
    edited July 2010

Yes, this is explained on the Valve dev wiki. All tiles have to be lined up with their floors at zero on the Z axis.

EDIT: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Swarm_TileGen_Building_Room_Templates_and_Themes

Theoretically all you need is for at least one exit to exist at (multiple of 256, multiple of 256, 0) to mark an exit on your map. I believe it is still possible to have premade, no exit tiles that can be placed at the bottom of a theoretical cargo bay tile; you just need to build the map at a Z displacement and remember where the exits are supposed to be. However, there would be no way the map could be randomly generated.

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    edited July 2010
    Paladin on
    edited July 2010
    Dudes, I'm gonna make a level where one or two guys has to go first person mode and take the tunnels under the map!
    Guys on top will provide situational awareness to guys on bottom! Guys below can detect movement in front of guys on top!

I put 3 tiles into the unfinished folder, so if you want, you can add more tile types of the same theme

4827447532_8902dbac89.jpg
    4827448168_67dfe0a93d.jpg

rRootagea on
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    rRootagea wrote: »
    Dudes, I'm gonna make a level where one or two guys has to go first person mode and take the tunnels under the map!
    Guys on top will provide situational awareness to guys on bottom! Guys below can detect movement in front of guys on top!

I put 3 tiles into the unfinished folder, so if you want, you can add more tile types of the same theme

4827447532_8902dbac89.jpg
    4827448168_67dfe0a93d.jpg

I don't think that's such a good idea. It's quite a pain to get first person mode working as it is, require sv_cheats and often won't work with other people in the server.

Endaro on
    edited July 2010
    Endaro wrote: »
    rRootagea wrote: »

I don't think that's such a good idea. It's quite a pain to get first person mode working as it is, require sv_cheats and often won't work with other people in the server.

Ok, I'll just make sure the view to the lower deck is not too obscured; good thing Endaro was here.

Maybe I'll make it extra confined with a path lit by glowsticks?

rRootagea on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Think I'm going to crack open the Space Hulk mission book and start using tilegen to recreate some of the maps there

Does tilegen allow you to do things like clearing out biomass/eggs and having a survival event at the end?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited July 2010
    Think I'm going to crack open the Space Hulk mission book and start using tilegen to recreate some of the maps there

Does tilegen allow you to do things like clearing out biomass/eggs and having a survival event at the end?

Yep, just stick the appropriate entity from this list into the map someplace
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Swarm_Objectives

rRootagea on
    edited July 2010
    I put the sentry gun bridge from level 3 into the tiles folder, in case you want to know how triggers and model paths work

So apparently you can attach infinite ammo sentry guns to yourself

4827960331_f8ca246420_b.jpg
    4828567712_a6711750e5_b.jpg

rRootagea on
    edited July 2010
    Paladin on
    edited July 2010

hey great find! in OP now.

meh, was worth a shot

rRootagea on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    CONTENT!

A little holdout map I've been working on. Nothing super special, just figured this thread needed some love.
    Hackable doors! (Currently lead no where, will eventual contain goodies!)
    holdout_test20003.jpg

Projected textures, weeeeeeeeeeeee!
    Aliens burrow out of, what are supposed to look like sewer drains, in the water.
    holdout_test20002.jpg

Only "land" based entrance to the fortified platform, though drones have no problem jumping up there >:)
    holdout_test20001.jpg

holdout_test20000.jpg

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited July 2010
    Wow I totally missed that! Looks awesome!
    One of the tutorials in the link Paladin posted was a guide on how to make infinitly respawning supplies
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMt0R0_rSzU

rRootagea on