As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bitching Thread: Gaming Edition

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The usual suspects here.

Games, especially sports games, that force a tutorial on the player before they can start playing. That means you, EA. If I want to rtfm then I will rtfm. For now, let me put the game in and play it with my friends.

The cumbersome way 360s handle multiple accounts. Having to restart games all the time to get the right one is a pain in the ass. Why can't saves be shared across accounts? Why can't I load up a different account without having to restart the game?

Why is it so painful, or impossible, to load two accounts for multiplayer games where each would have different custom options. Fighting games, wrestling games, sports games. I have a custom wrestler or fighter or player, so does my friend. Why do so few games let us play them against each other? Especially annoying when the accounts exist on the same hdd. I have to go and recreate my character from memory on the other account just so we can play together. Stupid and dumb.

Fighting games with painfully obtuse controller setup options. This was worked out years ago, so why can't they all get on the same page? The optimum scheme is a press and adjust system, not the dumb button changing system most use. This is painful at tourneys and gatherings where everyone has their own stick or pad and you have to sit through button setups every time. At least a few games have made steps by adding multiple default schemes that can be saved, but there's usually a small limit, so if you have more than 4 people playing than someone is going to have to change someone else's buttons every time.

Any game that doesn't let me completely adjust, even disable, music, voices, and sound effects is limiting my enjoyment and possibly my willingness to buy or play it.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Games that don't let you remap the controls. Completely. If I want to use A for ADS, X to shoot, left trigger to crouch, and right trigger to "use," fuck you, let me do it! Oh, you've generously given me three control schemes to choose from? Thanks, assholes. Can I introduce you to the PC, or perhaps the super fucking nintendo?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Games that don't let you remap the controls. Completely. If I want to use A for ADS, X to shoot, left trigger to crouch, and right trigger to "use," fuck you, let me do it! Oh, you've generously given me three control schemes to choose from? Thanks, assholes. Can I introduce you to the PC, or perhaps the super fucking nintendo?

Thanks to the good god of Heaven for Xpadder.

Also, fuck you long unskippable cutscenes before a boss or a hard area. I´m looking at you, final? boss battle in God of War: Chains of olympus.

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One thing I really, really hate are these snarky, smarter-than-thou characters that seem to be placed in the game specifically to irritate the player. Like, in Assassin's Creed II you've got the English dude and his role in the game is basically to be this big smartass who's constantly insulting you. While I get the fact that we're finally moving away from games where the hero is idolized by everyone, but there are more subtle ways of doing it than constantly making snide remarks toward the PC and, by extension, the player. Fallout 3 also had a bunch of characters like this.

Breath of Fire 4 actually handled it really well. It was very clear when playing that game that the party's official leader, Cray, didn't really like Ryu (the silent protagonist), but it was done realistically - he didn't like Ryu's business getting in the way of his own goals, he made the party's decisions and just kind of bullied Ryu and Nina into going along with him, and clearly saw his own objectives as superceding Ryu's (rescuing the princess vs. finding out about Ryu's origins). In other words, you know, the way somebody usually acts when they don't really like someone else's intrusions.

I'm also getting really, really, really tired of egregrious fanservice. Pretty much every medium has fanservice to a degree and it doesn't necessarily bother me, but it can get to the point where it really feels like an insult to the audience. I think Mass Effect vs. Final Fantasy 12 is a good comparison. In the Mass Effect series, sex and a degree of titillation is always present (much more so in the second game than in the first). Handling is important, though, and Mass Effect does it pretty well. Yes, the outfits are usually skintight and the characters are meant to be attractive, but with the possible exception of Samara, it's not entirely unrealistic (or unacknowledged - I can't help but feel that the blatant zoom-ins on Miranda and Jacob's butts aren't meant to be a little tongue-in-cheek). The plot concerns a group of adults and some of them end up sleeping with each other, and the sexual banter is very comparable to that you might hear with a real group of 20-30 year old people working and living together.

In Final Fantasy 12, though, they just throw you a bunch of skin and apparently hope that'll make you want to buy the game. There seems to be no discernable reason why there's a race of bunny women who wear clothing from Frederick's of Hollywood and high heels, or why the monarch of the nation we're supposed to be fighting for walks around in an outfit that breaks the laws of physics by continuing to stay on. Even weirder, the game doesn't even really seem to acknowledge this, apparently just hoping players will think bunnywomaninag-stringgottabuythat while the game-world itself exists in a strange sexless vacuum.

Basically, either own up to having sexual content in a game and do it in an adult way, or don't put it in at all. I can live with both, but being juvenile and throwing the PCs in fetish gear for no apparent reason just makes me want to eyeroll.

(Provided, of course, that the game is supposed to be taking itself seriously, which FF12 was. It's not nearly as annoying in a fighting game or whatever, because everybody knows that the plot and characters really don't mean too much.)

Duffel on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Why can't saves be shared across accounts?
    1) So you can easily identify your saves, rather than having to sift through every save on the system.
    2) ACHIEVEMENTS! GOTTA KEEP THOSE BASTARD PLAYERS FROM CHEATING FOR THEM.

Anyway, complaints.
    Backtracking prevention services. If you're not going to make it blatantly obvious where I'm supposed to be going next, don't cut me off from going backwards to explore the parts of the level that are unnecessary to finishing the game. I'm looking at you Alpha Protocol.

This is one bitchin' thread. (I will not apologize!)

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Final Fantasy 12 probably has the least sexualized female characters in the entire series. Even Fran, who wears some skimpy clothing, isn't done up in fetish gear. Well, furries, but the point stands. The rest live in a desert, so it's understandable that they'd want something light.
    1) So you can easily identify your saves, rather than having to sift through every save on the system.

Anyway, complaints.
    Backtracking prevention services. If you're not going to make it blatantly obvious where I'm supposed to be going next, don't cut me off from going backwards to explore the parts of the level that are unnecessary to finishing the game. I'm looking at you Alpha Protocol.

Just keep the achievements account specific. I could not possibly care less about them anyway.

I don't get how having multiple accounts with multiple saves makes them easier to sort through, and it's not so much saves that bother me but customization and unlockables. It's really annoying to have to switch accounts for that stuff when there's more than one person using the same system. I'd rather just do away with accounts altogether and just have a system ID that goes with the machine or hdd so that everyone can share.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited August 2010
    Final Fantasy 12 probably has the least sexualized female characters in the entire series. Even Fran, who wears some skimpy clothing, isn't done up in fetish gear. Well, furries, but the point stands. The rest live in a desert, so it's understandable that they'd want something light.

Just keep the achievements account specific. I could not possibly care less about them anyway.

I don't get how having multiple accounts with multiple saves makes them easier to sort through, and it's not so much saves that bother me but customization and unlockables. It's really annoying to have to switch accounts for that stuff when there's more than one person using the same system. I'd rather just do away with accounts altogether and just have a system ID that goes with the machine or hdd so that everyone can share.
    Sorry, dude. Gotta disagree. There was really nothing overtly sexual about the majority of character designs in most of the series. Tifa I guess, but really not Aeris or Yuffie. Rinoa, Quistis, Selphie? Not really. Garnet maybe, Eiko and Freya, definitely not. With characters like Celes or Rosa it's hard to tell but it's still not really noticeable.

Lulu is probably the only one that comes close to Fran and Ashe; Rikku and Yuna don't (at least in FFX; didn't play X-2). And I'm not picking on the FF series in particular, because if anything other RPG series were probably worse, but it's just a game I played within the last few years where it really stood out to me.

Duffel on
    edited August 2010
    Meh. Ashe always seemed pretty tame to me, in the game, in the series, and in the genre. She has that skirt thing, but that's about it, and I could easily buy the way she dressed given the climate. Fran didn't stand out much either since nobody ever brought it up or cared. It probably also helps that they were designed in a less stylistic way, which helped them seem more natural.

Most of the other female PCs from the series seemed to be drawn from obvious fetish categories.

Page- on
    stream
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Anyway, complaints.

That reminds me, Console RAM restrictions are silly geese, and should DIAF. 8 Megs for Xbox, and then 512 for vram and system was being incredibly miserly even at the console launches, and supposedly microsoft would have actually used less if it weren't for Epic.

And yet Game developers still publicly proclaim that having to develop with that little overhead has little to no effect on level design o_O. Sure it isn't quite as bad as it was back in the day of DE:IW, but is it really necessary to keep those stupid streaming hacks in on the PC versions, where it could easily load the whole level in half of the time as the stupid video/elevator/corridor they put in to try to hide loading that tiny chunk of it.

I really shouldn't have had to memorize all those silly ini hacks in UE3 if it weren't for lazy UE3 ports. That lack AA.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Halo popularized gigantic life pools and regenerating life.

For that I will hate it forever. Regeneration is bad enough, but couple it with huge lifepools and you're just asking for agony.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A race of lesbian strippers that never grow old* is an "adult way"? Bioware is far from the shining example of the mature way. Bioware tries to shoehorn every character into your bed with nothing but an info dump. You have to go back to Baldur's Gate to get a decent handling of the issue where different characters had different motivations and different interactions.

Anyways, I also want to bitch at Bioware for being the one company that can't be bothered to put in gamepad support for Mass Effect 1/2 for PC despite the game being designed for consoles. Free games and indie games and just about every other damn game out there has no problem putting it in in some form, but not Bioware.

Also, global achievements and stat tracking are a plague that needs to be cleansed. The first one creates problems with forcing a developer to work a certain way as well as creating idiots who buy or refuse to buy games based on the ease of contributing to their global score. The second creates just about every asshole you've ever run into in online gaming. When nobody cares about their score everything is a lot more fun. Insert stat tracking and you get 13 year-olds swearing and trying to game the system. Of course they're never going away though :?

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
    edited August 2010

For that I will hate it forever. Regeneration is bad enough, but couple it with huge lifepools and you're just asking for agony.

Not just for ruining my second favourite FPS series, Rainbow Six, but for promoting lazy play, I second this.

Page- on
    stream
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    That reminds me, Console RAM restrictions are silly geese, and should DIAF. 8 Megs for Xbox, and then 512 for vram and system was being incredibly miserly even at the console launches, and supposedly microsoft would have actually used less if it weren't for Epic.
    But look on the bright side, if the next console generation makes a similar leap in memory, we'll have well over 2 GiB of memory in it, meaning we'll probably be able to get native 64 bit games on PC. You know, ones that don't have an inherent 2 GiB memory limit.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Well, Mass Effect 2 isn't perfect, and I wasn't saying that it was. The asari were admittedly pretty silly, and you can make incredibly good games with hardly any fanservice at all (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Secret of Mana, Mother series, Ico, SoTC...)

I just thought, if you're going to put that kind of thing in your game, they handled it better than some other games I've played recently (didn't play the BG games). I've heard the 360 Ninja Gaiden games were especially ridiculous, almost to the point of parody.

But in any case I've got the bitching out of my system, so oh well.

Duffel on
    edited August 2010
    But look on the bright side, if the next console generation makes a similar leap in memory, we'll have well over 2 GiB of memory in it, meaning we'll probably be able to get native 64 bit games on PC. You know, ones that don't have an inherent 2 GiB memory limit.

I'd be shocked if the next gen has more than 2 gigs, which is already at the lower end of the spectrum according to the steam hardware survey

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    I'd expect at least 4, especially if it the current console generation goes on for as long as Microsoft and Sony seem so adamant on it lasting. Though one thing I'd really like to see would be not totally throwing out their existing architecture and just improving on it instead, which would likely be a significant boon towards backwards compatibility, and R&D costs.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Consoles just plain don't need that much RAM people.

It needs fast RAM.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited August 2010
    BUT I WANT MY HIGH RES TEXTURES.

Hell, GTA4 at 1920x1200 maxed out uses 1.2 GiB of video ram. I'm pretty sure combined with system RAM that game could easily eat more than 2 GiB of memory, I'd not be surprised if it could break 3.

Too bad it's still ugly.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    That's mostly because of their vasoline filter though. If you run it through even 2Xs of AA using that one mod, it looks absolutely stunning. Too bad even doing that brings everything but the very top level of i7s to their knees

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010

By gigantic lifepool you mean 115 HP, 45 if you turn shields off.

Also Halo did not invent regen life, and there are plenty of FPSes that have way more player longevity that came out before and after (Battlefield, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters, etc)

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=13233
    A player in MP has a grand total of 115 hit points (to adopt a common term.) 45 of these are body hit points, 70 are shield hit points. For reference, a single AR bullet does 7.5 points of damage, and a BR bullet does 6. A melee attack does 70 for most weapons, with some weapons (notably the Brute weapons) doing 72.

FyreWulff on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's mostly because of their vasoline filter though. If you run it through even 2Xs of AA using that one mod, it looks absolutely stunning. Too bad even doing that brings everything but the very top level of i7s to their knees

Sooo..which mod is this?

Arrath on
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Could we have more games on the HD consoles that are incredible to play with people sitting next to you? I'll gladly settle for lowered graphical fidelity.

I mean, I had so much fun playing Burnout 3 with my friends but even that series has abandoned that mode. I get that it's not feasible in Paradise City, but couldn't they put a real party mode in there?

It seems only downloadable games still regularly provide that feature anymore, but I don't have access to them :(

Muddy Water on
  • donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been playing singularity recently.

FUCK PHASE TICKS! I am fine with small hitbox enemies. Headcrabs can be some scary shit. I didn't mind the poppers in halo. But they were done right. There were only a few headcrabs at a time. no more then 5 maybe. And yes, there were a lot of popcorn flood, but they were easily killed.

Phase ticks are just dickhole enemies. Take the numbers of the popcorn flood, give them a headcrabs health, and make them EXPLODE if you come anywhere near them. Now make it so you can't jump over railings, and you're stuck in a sewer with them. You now have a reason why I'm not bothering with your stupid game anymore.

Also fuck sewer levels.

this is you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbE2SMCK5Q0

donhonk on
    edited August 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

By gigantic lifepool you mean 115 HP, 45 if you turn shields off.

Also Halo did not invent regen life, and there are plenty of FPSes that have way more player longevity that came out before and after (Battlefield, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters, etc)

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=13233
    A player in MP has a grand total of 115 hit points (to adopt a common term.) 45 of these are body hit points, 70 are shield hit points. For reference, a single AR bullet does 7.5 points of damage, and a BR bullet does 6. A melee attack does 70 for most weapons, with some weapons (notably the Brute weapons) doing 72.

You play without shields in PD and it goes hella quick.

If the player gets away at all in Halo they are pretty good.

Even then, my actual bitching was less about Halo and more about every game that came out after Halo.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    donhonk wrote: »

FUCK PHASE TICKS! I am fine with small hitbox enemies. Headcrabs can be some scary shit. I didn't mind the poppers in halo. But they were done right. There were only a few headcrabs at a time. no more then 5 maybe. And yes, there were a lot of popcorn flood, but they were easily killed.

Phase ticks are just dickhole enemies. Take the numbers of the popcorn flood, give them a headcrabs health, and make them EXPLODE if you come anywhere near them. Now make it so you can't jump over railings, and you're stuck in a sewer with them. You now have a reason why I'm not bothering with your stupid game anymore.

Also fuck sewer levels.

this is you

Hahahahahahaha

Also, I love Halo for the same reason XoB hates it; regenerating health is a godsend in terms of being fun to play.

Searching for health packs is pretty lame.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited August 2010

Anyway, complaints.

And yet Game developers still publicly proclaim that having to develop with that little overhead has little to no effect on level design o_O. Sure it isn't quite as bad as it was back in the day of DE:IW, but is it really necessary to keep those stupid streaming hacks in on the PC versions, where it could easily load the whole level in half of the time as the stupid video/elevator/corridor they put in to try to hide loading that tiny chunk of it.

I really shouldn't have had to memorize all those silly ini hacks in UE3 if it weren't for lazy UE3 ports. That lack AA.

No, streaming is better than loading everything into RAM at once. We have hard drives and CD ROMs for a reason.

I would be surprised if the next gen had more than 2GB, and I'm predicting probably around 1.5GB. Console RAM has a massive advantage over PC RAM in speed. Fast RAM is expensive, and also if you put too much RAM in you're now "out of synch" with all the other components and then the CPU or whatever else becomes your new bottleneck.

Not that it's stopping developers.. modders have already discovered that Halo: Reach uses 1024x1024 textures everywhere. You're never going to need to have 4GB of textures loaded into RAM, because now you have nothing left for physics, AI, sound, networking, or anything else really. There's also a point of diminishing returns from your art department, and the fact that most people are still playing at 1024x768 on PC. Streaming not only lets you run on consoles but it also keeps the OS from paging parts of your game to HDD because now it's running out of free RAM, impacting your performance.

Also you're going to be using more VRAM if you have a super hi res and are still using AA for some reason. AA was meant to compensate for low resolutions, it's a waste of RAM at anything higher than 1280x1024. Not to mention that Rockstar may be doing other things with the GPU on PC and what looks like 1.2GB of usage may actually just be 'reserved' RAM and not actually being used, or they have some custom decompression going on in there.

I certainly wouldn't want to wait for a Blu Ray drive to read out 4GB of data to RAM in this generation, unless you like 20 minute loading times.

Not even Crysis recommends a system higher than 2GB of memory. We'll have 4GB video cards when 4GB can be had for 1/20th the price it is now.

FyreWulff on
    edited August 2010
    Arrath wrote: »

Sooo..which mod is this?

The name escapes me at the moment. He did a lighting mod for Deus ex and a few other games too.

EDIT: Or... I could just dig through my downloads folder.
    It's http://enbdev.com/index_en.html . Don't know if it actually works with the most current version though, I have enough problems getting it to run smoothly in vanila

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think it's enbseries or something

Muddy Water on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Anyway, complaints.

Why can't it do like the PS3 does with the same thing? If you copy a save file into your account, it just keeps you from getting trophies until you make a new save/load one made on your account.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hate when games don't let me adjust camera controls. I just got a game from gamestop today and once again it's a game that doesn't let me change them and the X-axis isn't inverted. It takes me probably two to three hours to get used to non-inverted camera controls. How is it that every game that doesn't let me change the camera has it wrong? And then when I finally get used to it I'll play a game that has it the way I like it and I instantly fall back into the groove and forget what I got used to. Then I start the process all over again when the next game comes along that won't let me change it.

Gilder on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That still happens?

I haven't come across a game in years that doesn't let me invert the camera

UnbreakableVow on
  • themaxvoltagethemaxvoltage Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think you can zap all the phase tick nests before you open the door, because I don't remember anywhere near that many little buggies when I played through.

themaxvoltage on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Much to comment on, large post incoming.
    One of the annoyances of video games is when developers treat us all like braindead idiots. This recently came up in 2 games. First one's Mass Effect 2. The thing is, you play ME2 and get to the Archangel mission. You fight your way up to ye olde Archie and meet him and it's all jolly well good and hello guv'nor and, and uh... it's a good meeting. Let's just say that. Well, you and Archangel fight off a few waves and the enemies stop coming. Now you're free to wander around and explore Archangel's digs for a bit. Archangel himself tells you to go over and talk to him. It's something to the effect of "Shepard, over here" or somesuch. Well sure, I'll go over and talk to you when I feel like it, okay? I'm gonna go over here and examine this Vindicator Battle Rifle. And Archangel starts calling "Shepard, over here" which directs my attention to him.

Alternatively:

GET UP ON THE HYDRA'S BACK! GET UP ON THE HYDRA'S BACK! GET UP ON THE HYDRA'S BACK!

I also cannot stand when characters yell out their attacks over and over and over.

The Tales games are especially guilty of this (DEMON FANG DEMON FANG DEMON FANG).
    Adus wrote: »

Forced Stealth Sections - This is an obvious one but it needs to be said because it's always bad. I don't know if it has ever been done properly outside of games designed for stealth.

Lost Odyssey was probably the most recent really annoying one. It's because these games have no mechanics for stealth, so it all feels really arbitrary when something sees you or something gets messed up. It also makes you suspend disbelief even more than usual when the idiot guards just put you back in your cell which you subsequently walk out of and get caught again. Two of the characters in my party were immortal. Literally, they are immortal. I have been slicing things to death with swords. Let me kill everything.

FFVII's mini stealth section in the Shinra building was especially hilarious in that regard, since you're hiding behind statues to avoid being seen by the same shitty guards you had been beating on just to get there.

I remember it in Lost Odyssey. It was awful.

I'm pretty sure the stealth part in FFVII is only if you chose to take the silent approach (Tifa) rather than charging through the front door (Barret).
    Right now I'm playing through Alan Wake. It's a fine game, just what you'd expect from Remedy. They're good fellas up there. Very spooky and atmospheric. But uh, the camera bugs the shit outta me. It's all... swimmy? Is that a word? Is that the word to describe the odd shifting nature of the third person camera? The damn thing just sorta floats all over the screen. One minute you'll have it situated behind Alan's right shoulder, and the next it'll somehow migrate over onto Alan's left shoulder. It seems to have a mind of its own. I have no idea why it does that.

I too, hate this with a passion, and it's considered my biggest complaint with FFXIII. I would rather take fixed camera angles then dealing with such a nauseating swimmy effect.
    Gilder wrote: »
    Here's one that has bugged me for as long as I can remember. Double jumps in videogames that are only double jumps on the way UP, and not on the way DOWN. It makes precision jumping really hard when you have to wait until the top of the jump, and then you're a millisecond late and now it says you're falling so the jump button no longer works. What, are you going for realism? It's a double jump, let me jump off the air whenever I goddamn feel like it. I can't think of any specific games that did this recently that I played, but every time it shows up I just go "Oh god, not this jumping mechanic again!"

God of War was especially annoying about this.

Funny enough, the Castlevania series seems to have the most perfect mechanics for double jumping.
    eternalbl wrote: »
    Infamous' lack of a soundtrack really kills that game for me. Put on some Rage Against the Machine and fuck some shit up, it's great, but if you don't supply your own music you'll get nothing which makes running around a huge open world about 10x less exciting than it could be. Especially if you're
    searching for dead drops or blast shards

On the contrary, I find the lack of music adds greatly to Infamous' atmosphere. City on the brink and all that.
    Duffel wrote: »

Sorry, dude. Gotta disagree. There was really nothing overtly sexual about the majority of character designs in most of the series. Tifa I guess, but really not Aeris or Yuffie. Rinoa, Quistis, Selphie? Not really. Garnet maybe, Eiko and Freya, definitely not. With characters like Celes or Rosa it's hard to tell but it's still not really noticeable.

Lulu is probably the only one that comes close to Fran and Ashe; Rikku and Yuna don't (at least in FFX; didn't play X-2). And I'm not picking on the FF series in particular, because if anything other RPG series were probably worse, but it's just a game I played within the last few years where it really stood out to me.

Strange as it sounds, I find Selphie's outfit more sexualized than Tifa's.

The latter may be wearing less, but at least she doesn't have to worry about a nipple slip or something. Selphie's dress looks like it's only being held up by two flimsy straps. Don't get me started on FFX-2 Rikku, either, the worst of the bunch.
    Meh. Ashe always seemed pretty tame to me, in the game, in the series, and in the genre. She has that skirt thing, but that's about it, and I could easily buy the way she dressed given the climate. Fran didn't stand out much either since nobody ever brought it up or cared. It probably also helps that they were designed in a less stylistic way, which helped them seem more natural.

Most of the other female PCs from the series seemed to be drawn from obvious fetish categories.

Being a princess on the run, I'm pretty sure she was also going for an incognito look.

Anyway, finally beat the asshat boss from the OP, only to wind up with another battle immediately after where
    I get both an Escort Mission AND a minigame that requires absolute precision

Thanks, Treasure! THANKS!

And what do I get for finally completing this game?
    Credits! Just credits!

I appreciate that Treasure hasn't lost its oldschool roots, but as someone who could easily play through Gunstar Heroes on Expert, this game was monstrous.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That still happens?

I haven't come across a game in years that doesn't let me invert the camera

It was an older PS2 game, but it still happens every once in a while and throws me off. I think Yakuza 3 had them the wrong way at first, but I'm pretty sure I was able to change it. Buying old PS2 games though is just a total crapshoot on what happens.

Gilder on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Also fuck sewer levels.

this is you

This video was absolutely amazing. Thank you for sharing it.

urahonky on
    edited August 2010

Also, mouse acceleration/smoothing

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Isn't the lack of AA in UE3 games a result of how Epic decided to code the DX10 renderer?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ahahahahahaha.

That video is incredible.

He can't be that horrible though....can he? Hes gotta be playing it up for the video.

Arrath on
    edited August 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Isn't the lack of AA in UE3 games a result of how Epic decided to code the DX10 renderer?

No, AA works in DX10 UE3 games that use SM3.0 like Bioshock. The problem is that even AAA studios like Bioware don't bother with enabling that stuff.

Really, I wish that Dice would just release whatever black magic they pulled in ME PC to other UE3 devs, even 2X AA in that is better than trying to force 16X in other UE3 games, like the MEs

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Pretty much, there are ways you can set up rendering where the video card can't perform it's AA on the end display.

Halo 1 was the same way, all AA affected was the active camo effect on players

FyreWulff on