As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA The Series: Season Finale

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Y'know, it's pretty awesome how many people are registering just to say they love the show

I really hope you all stick around!

Usagi on
  • Options
    OmuneneOmunene Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    My favorite moment:

"What are talons?"
    "They're like a bird's claws."

This reminded me of my own dad, who always had the answers. I can't wait to have the opportunity to explain "talons," "mandibles," "mizzenmast," "tectonic..."

THE LIST GOES ON.

Omunene on
    Now everybody-
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    the deluge of newly registered posters makes this all the more heartwarming, thanks for sharing your thoughts you guys!

Someone mentioned the idea of putting this out in HD, and I second it.

Squall on
  • Options
    KabertonKaberton Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    First off, great episode, and a great end to the first season.

On the note of marriage and having kids, I see that in my future, I just have to get my life on some sort of track before I bring a kid into the world. Right now I'm barely able to support myself, and I don't want to have to put a child through that.

I don't want to quote the discussion just to avoid the giant quote string, but I noticed the discussion about marriage and how so many people are against it. One of you said you were in the LA area. It seems that's some sort of local phenomenon. I'm in Oklahoma, it's completely different here. Most of my friends that I went to school with are married, and either have kids or have a child on the way. It baffles me just for the fact that some have the same job as me at the moment, and I'm not sure how they manage to support themselves and the children.

It almost seems like the thought of having children is a local thought. Everyone here seems to have no qualms about starting a family, for the record, neither do I. I'm just waiting for a year or so for my life to become stable, have my college loans paid off, and be on a career track where I know I'll be able to comfortably support my future children.

That, and there's the whole thing about finding a girl to share my future with.

Kaberton on
  • Options
    FirstxavengerFirstxavenger Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    The problem with this show is that it's shown every one of these guys to be wonderful people and it makes me want to be best friends with them, but I know it'll never happen, and that is sad.

This sums up every feeling I have about PATV I love this show so much and am so glad that the Penny Arcade family let us into their inner workings. Thanks guys so much it was a blast. Can't wait for season 2!

Firstxavenger on
  • Options
    PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have to say it...
    "Fuckin' Magnets... How do they work?"

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • Options
    Lady_KalaraLady_Kalara Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This episode was just so fantastic! I love seeing this glimpse of their family life and how adorable their kids are.

Thank you so much for deciding to do the show and letting us in like this. It has been a wonderful experience. I can't wait for season 2!

I'm totally buying the DVD, no question.

Lady_Kalara on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The last song of this episode made me realize how much I really like the music, so I got on the site most of the songs are currently hosted at but it's kind of difficult to find the best of the best since there isn't a good search function for rating.

Any favorite songs from the series?

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's reassuring for me to hear that Gabe interacts with children in the exact same way I do

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's amazing to watch this and just feel like these guys are a pair of awesome people that enjoy the same things we do.

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Out of all the reality show stuff that's out there, I would say that the PA series is better then 99% out there.

Jerry and mike, Thanks for letting us into your personal world.

Also, the WoW treadmill should be a PA merchandise item. WoW treadmill, WoW bicycle machine...ect ect..

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think one of the reasons there are so many new posters is the link to this thread Tycho posted on the front page.

The other reason is the fact that the show was so awesome.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wanted to say thanks to everyone involved during the making of PATV. It was awesome all the way through. Credit to the 2PP guys, whoever is coming in to replace you has some big shoes to fill.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    net_vagabondnet_vagabond Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There have been a lot of comments about how it would be nice to be able to get all the music from the show. I agree and just wanted to say, I would totally shell out for the PATV OST, especially if the proceeds might go toward child's play. Just sayin.

net_vagabond on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There have been a lot of comments about how it would be nice to be able to get all the music from the show. I agree and just wanted to say, I would totally shell out for the PATV OST, especially if the proceeds might go toward child's play. Just sayin.

That's a fantastic idea!

Usagi on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    actually yes that is capital

I would pay money dollars for it

Squall on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    great episode and a very enjoyable run, well done all involved, looking forward to series 2

FAQ on
  • Options
    KarrilDaltayaKarrilDaltaya Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Great episode, i cannot wait until next season. I really enjoy PATV.

KarrilDaltaya on
    In Honor of me beginning my Amarr Training...
    scarylaser2.gif
    Matst Ircar and Baron Weinerschnitzel in EvE.
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I am only into this idea if the first track is Helix Nebula, with WELCOME TO PAX added to the start of the song.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    asleepypandaasleepypanda Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    When I saw the wedding pictures that really hit me. Specifically the one with Mike and Jerry together. I know that the show was mostly about family but it also made me think of the future for me and how my friendships will hopefully stay together and grow as I have a family too. I have a feeling that out of my group of friends I'll be the first to have a child. :p

Another thing that I enjoyed about the episode is the observations they have about the children and the connections they see between how they act and how the kids act.

I almost cried a few times. lol.

Great show and thank you guys for opening up so much of your lives to us.

The problem with this show is that it's shown every one of these guys to be wonderful people and it makes me want to be best friends with them, but I know it'll never happen, and that is sad.

You guys are genuinely good people and I have so much respect for not just Mike and Jerry but the Penny-Arcade team.

asleepypanda on
    fss.png
  • Options
    PepiPopaPepiPopa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    CMlaurence.jpg&t=1
    Manly god damn tears man.

PepiPopa on
    Our testament and story is forever death or glory.
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    2PP, thank you for an amazing season.

Penny Arcade, thank you for simply being amazing.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh cool.

Khoo suit in this one.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Officer 1BDIOfficer 1BDI Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm here to throw my hat in among the other lurkers and new users who have come out of the woodworks to comment on what a fantastic series this has been. I've been a fan of the comic for years, but I somehow missed out on the podcasts and thus wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this show. Suffice to say that 2PP went far beyond my expectations and that I've been blown away week after week by the quality of these episodes. They've been the highlight of my Fridays, and I'm hard-pressed to think of anything else that I've seen on the internet that I've found this entertaining and gripping (hell, most television shows don't accomplish that for me).

And this episode in particular... god there's so much to gush about: the adorableness of Mike and Jerry's families and the apple juice story and the office montage and the end with the photo album and that picture. The way the episode closed was perfect.
    NewEnglish wrote: »
    "I just don't feel happy."

"Well, that's okay. Do you want to tell me about your feelings?"

That exchange really stuck with me. Growing up in the 80s among a very reserved family in the upper-Midwest, expressing emotions was so discouraged that I was left with only unhealthy ways of dealing with them.

I also hit hard by that dialogue for similar reasons, and I was so happy to see Brenna making an effort to discuss Elliot's feelings with him. I also want to give major props to Mike for giving Gabe his own space to be an artist without worrying about "making a mess;" that's something I definitely could have used I was a kid. :P

Thank you so much, to everyone involved, for this series. It was wonderful and, though I'm sorry to see 2PP leave, I can hardly wait to see what season 2 brings.

Officer 1BDI on
  • Options
    MrFoxMrFox Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    So I went through the whole furore of convincing your resident blade runners that I Am Not A Robot just to join the resounding chorus letting you know that this series has been A Good Thing.

And i'm sure it's been said in this thread but that closing shot was very affecting, it tied the episode together into something which spoke eloquently about the shape of our lives. Thanks a million for letting us in, everyone there at the office, it has been a really lovely ride. And well done to 2player for putting something together which oozed such quality - your successors, whoever they may be, will find tbemselves stepping into big shoes.

Since i'm here and in praise mode - i've been reading PA since day one. You guys even threw me a link years ago to my old webcomic (which was inspired entirely by you in the first place). It's been an absolute pleasure watching this entity morph and grow into something so admirable. I even turn off my adblockers to come visit you - now that is brand loyalty.

Looking forward to more and more.

MrFox on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh man

That picture

That picture you guys

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Really enjoyed this series. I do wonder how good it will be if it just focuses on the individual comics from now on though.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    net_vagabondnet_vagabond Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mr. G wrote: »

I am only into this idea if the first track is Helix Nebula, with WELCOME TO PAX added to the start of the song.

Word.

Since I didn't say much about the series in my first post, I'll just say a few things that have come to mind after chewing on the season for a bit and re-watching some of my favorite episodes.

My story is the same as oh so many. Growing up as a gamer, is hard enough. Growing up as a gamer in the world of fundamentalist christians unable to separate pixels from reality and mathematics from spellcasting, was rough. I had to keep many of my games, hidden my Magic the Gathering cards and D&D books in particular. I owned the main D&D source books yet never got to play a game growing up. I love my parents and they have since become much more open minded about gaming, mostly since figuring out that my gaming habits did not turn me into a raving mad warlock serial killer. All this to say that I never experienced much of the gaming community as a kid. I always loved the games but never had much opportunity be a part of the community in any way. I discovered Penny-Arcade ten years ago or so and it made my teen life bearable. I was able to be a part of the community if only in a small way. Over the years you guys have fought the good fight against the likes of Jack Thompson and any others with his aspirations of dickishness. I love everything you guys do, from breaking down the stereotype and helping kids with child's play, to making opponents of gaming look the fool at every turn. I've very much enjoyed the chance to get to know all of you that make Penny-Arcade possible. Thanks for being so open with us and sharing so much of yourselves and your families, it makes this experience all the more rich.

net_vagabond on
  • Options
    agentblakeagentblake Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Jerry and Mike, thank you so much for the glimpse into your lives. I have to say that the season finale was my favorite episode of PATV. I do not post on forums but I had to this time. The series has been fantastic and something I have been waiting for expectantly each Friday. I hope it continues!

Game on!

agentblake on
  • Options
    KotenkKotenk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thank you for filling a void that I didn't know my Friday, or my life had.

Season 2, I'm waiting.

Kotenk on
  • Options
    ARossbyAnyOtherNameARossbyAnyOtherName Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Never has any media, be it audio, visual, still, or moving (As the case is), emotionally effected me as much as this series. It has made me laugh until I cried, and cry until I thought I may not ever laugh again. Between the loving, and down-right mad working environment, to the phenomenally entertaining creative process, and the sheer beauty, frankness, and truthfulness of the people of PA's personal lives, has lain a bonding, and binding honesty. And I would like to thank 2PP and everyone on camera, for showing me something which will stay with me for as long as I can muster the strength to remember. From the deepest depths of my heart I thank you.

Yours Adjectively

Ross

ARossbyAnyOtherName on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I finally got to watch this all the way through just now.

God damn this was great, and I am hoping that it is slow enough at work tonight that I can watch the whole thing all the way through again.

Has a new production company been found for the second season?

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I sure hope Khoo prints all these posts out

Jintor on
  • Options
    LuthzLuthz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If my own son, when I have one, were to do as is told in the apple juice story, I would be proud of him, for that alone for the rest of my days.

Luthz on
  • Options
    Formica ArchonisFormica Archonis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    (Yet another first time poster here.) That was majestic. The final shot didn't quite make me cry, but my hand was over my mouth and I was saying "Oh, my." It was such a shock. After all we've seen of them it was like looking at a picture of two little boys in borrowed clothing. Was quite the punch.

Anyway, good job all around. My praise and best wishes to the guys, their families, Khoo and all the other PA employees. Plus, a congrats and slightly teary farewell to 2 Player. Gonna be a hard act to follow.

Formica Archonis on
  • Options
    VileVile Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    I think the moving part for me was the end with the shots of Jerry's wedding. Seeing a young Mike and Jerry, before they became their older, grizzled selves ... somehow seemed to give me hope? It's one thing to be a creative, quite another to be a successful creative.

It's fulfilling on a deep spiritual level to see a good person succeed ... and to do so by making all of us laugh. Congratz on the series boys, all the best.

Vile on
  • Options
    DrTorteDrTorte Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    I normally can not stand Reality TV in any shape. This has not only been an exception, but a complete inversion. Heartwarming, intriguing, funny, all in one, thank you guys for making this. This episode was just inches away from manly tears.

DrTorte on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i can't watch this

the ad plays

the video plays for a second or two and then some loading bar comes up in the middle, when it fills, playing it does nothing

waiting for the entire video to SLOWWWWLY load also does not help, even though it takes about an hour

Raneados on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think it defaults to HD, so switching to SD might help. I think?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lesconrads wrote: »
    Please, for the love of god... think about a possibility for us europeans... $15 in shipping is madness :\

I used to think so too (I'm in Sweden), but eventually I just bit the bullet and paid the excessive shipping costs. It's worth it. The only thing I'm wary of buying are hoodies and t-shirts. There is a considerable difference between US Large and Euro Large (as an example) and returning something, because it's the wrong size isn't a realistic option. Not to me, anyway.

Does anyone know how the US sizes fit on us Europeans? My size is somewhere between Jerrys and Mikes, if that's any help. :lol:

Yeah, this. I guess it sounds creepy, but watching Jerry, Mike and the others makes me happy, like I'm part of something bigger, and that there's nothing wrong with being a geek and liking the things I like.

Never stop.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.