As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA The Series: Season Finale

• Options
    IconIcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For the love of god is there a direct link to the video file anywhere I have tried 3 different browsers SD and HD and have only managed to see a localised add and a lot of spinning load animation.

If someone ran for king of earth on a platform of All online videos must have a direct download link or face a firing squad I would vote for that person.

:(

Icon on
    MKWii 2105-8992-2542 Ic0n
    4ob39
    http://3WiiD.com
  • Options
    LumenadducereLumenadducere Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That was incredibly heartwarming, funny, and - most of all - honest. Hell, that describes the entire series. I've been surprised at how much I've enjoyed each and every episode of PATV. I wasn't expecting to like it at all, and after the first part of the pilot I was hooked. A huge thank you to Mike, Jerry, Robert, and the rest of PA for letting us look into these moments of their lives, and thank you to 2PP for doing the hard work (and some great editing, might I say) to present the memories. It's been a wonderful ride and it has made me grow to admire PA and the people behind it so much more than I already did.
    Willeth wrote: »

The problem with this show is that it's shown every one of these guys to be wonderful people and it makes me want to be best friends with them, but I know it'll never happen, and that is sad.

I'm going to join everyone else that's quoted this and add my agreement. You guys all rock, and I hope you get to keep doing what you're doing for a long time to come.

Lumenadducere on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i really like how the last song goes with the video
    i hope whoever does the next season gets the music right like this

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The conversation at the end, about how they've all grown older... I started to cry, just a little.
    MikeandJerry.png

quote please.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SlightlySlightly Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Vile wrote: »
    It's fulfilling on a deep spiritual level to see a good person succeed ....
    (Yeah, yeah, another newly-reg'ed drawn in by the finale.) Vile nailed it there for me. My wife asks me why I support these guys so much - why do I buy books full of comics I can read online for free, why do I listen to those podcasts & watch PATV over & over, why do I go on an annual archive binge, etc. I keep telling her it's to support my people -- I explained it as sort of a "community" thing with my fellow nerds. But it really goes deeper than that, and Vile just put into exact words what I couldn't really explain to the wife until now.

Slightly on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gabriel wrote: »
    I saw someone ask, and yes we have two cats in our house and yes they tear the shit out of our furniture.

Reading this thread has been really great. I think we were both nervous about sharing our families but 2pp did a really great job. Thanks guys.

Aha! You fell for my trap card! Having mentioned your cats you now have to post pics. Forum rules. :P

I'm not gonna bother quoting Willeth again since it's been done about 50 times already, but yeah, I only wish I could somehow knit all my friends with disparate interests and skills into an awesome company like that so I wouldn't hate going to work.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm surprised that so many people seem to think the initial idea of a Penny-Arcade reality show sounded dumb. The only thing that makes it make sense to me is that none of these people have ever sat down and really watched a reality show. It's hard to explain until you've sat through a 3-hour marathon of people baking cakes that you truly realize how deceptively fascinating a voyeuristic window into somebody else's world can be.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Like a few others here I am a first time poster; I just couldn't resist giving props to the people at 2 Player Productions. Each episode was so good it hurt. I can honestly say that I have rarely been as touched by anything, in any medium, as I have been by the PA series...

I found that the series represented a side of humanity that often goes unnoticed, the good side. Thanks a lot guys, it has been one hell of a ride...

Spman2099 on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I'm surprised that so many people seem to think the initial idea of a Penny-Arcade reality show sounded dumb. The only thing that makes it make sense to me is that none of these people have ever sat down and really watched a reality show. It's hard to explain until you've sat through a 3-hour marathon of people baking cakes that you truly realize how deceptively fascinating a voyeuristic window into somebody else's world can be.

It's actually the more outlandish reality shows that are hard to keep my interest. Once it just becomes fame-crazed lunatics doing things that no reasonable person would ever think of doing, it's not really reality. It's just regular trash TV without a script.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    Sigma_100Sigma_100 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This whole series was absolutely fantastic, but the finale really blew me away. Even better, after only reading a couple pages of this post I find myself reduced to tears. Just fantastic. Like many others, this makes me feel good about wanting to have children someday.

Sigma_100 on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh man, watching little Gabe hide from the camera near the beginning is such a great moment.

Brolo on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also big Gabe you are such an awesome dad for making an art room for your son.

Brolo on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TankHammer wrote: »

It's actually the more outlandish reality shows that are hard to keep my interest. Once it just becomes fame-crazed lunatics doing things that no reasonable person would ever think of doing, it's not really reality. It's just regular trash TV without a script.

Out of curiosity, have you seen The Colony on Discovery Channel? Definitely not reality as you say it, but it doesn't seem to be the fame-fueled trash of the more mainstream shows. Last time they did it, I found it very interesting. Only one episode so far for this series, but it already doesn't have the same feel.

chromdom on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rolo wrote: »
    Oh man, watching little Gabe hide from the camera near the beginning is such a great moment.

Lol it was great.

"Speaking of the first one..."

It's been a really great look into their lives. Patiently awaiting for the DVD and wouldn't even mind shipping charges. Excellent work guys.

Also, it's been asked a few times, but where's 2 Player Productions off to next? They did such high quality work with the shots and editing and the music, especially the music.

Edit: Another also, Jerry's kids are so adorable. And it's nice to see both of them inherited Brenna's red hair. So cute!

Underdog on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The problem with the Colony is that the conceit is impossible. You can't make those situations realistic because it's a show, and the contestants know it.

Langly on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Never heard of the show but I just looked up the concept. Sounds interesting.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The concept is interesting, but these people aren't truly scrapping for survival with whatever they can get their hands on. Their scrapping for "survival" with whatever the producers decide to leave around the premises. Also, every once in a while, "marauders" (aka stuntmen) come to "attack" the compound, only no one is ever going to get hurt ever and all these survivors have to pretend to be afraid.

I had high hopes. It's garbage.

On topic: great finale. Look forward to next season.

Ceno on
  • Options
    markbrunomarkbruno Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just wanted to add my sentiments on how great this first season was. The season finale and the episode "Drugs" were particularly powerful and very poignant for me because my wife and 7-year-old daughter are both dealing with General Anxiety Disorder and minor depression. It's been a long battle for both so I could literally feel Mike's and Jerry's grief when they were asked if they're worried about their boys showing symptoms. Nothing can be more distressing for a parent.

On the upside, seeing both Mike and Jerry and their boys thriving give us hope that all will be well in our family, too.

markbruno on
    Mark Bruno
    [PHP][/PHP]Xbox Gamertag: Mestoph
    Wii Friend Code: 4387-6343-4953-0795
    Steam: markbruno

Apple Game Center: iamsumo
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    while their kids might have the same problems they do, they also have parents that have been through them

they have the best people possible to talk to about it

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Goatmon wrote: »
    The conversation at the end, about how they've all grown older... I started to cry, just a little.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/Goatmon/MikeandJerry.png

quote please.

That's over 500k, not supposed to show directly if it is.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ivar wrote: »
    And why do you feel you have to justify your existence?

We are not having this discussion.

CAN'T THIS FAMILY HAVE JUST ONE MEAL TOGETHER WITHOUT EVERYONE FIGHTING?

Seriously, this episode is the best advertisement for having kids that I've ever seen. It would be interesting to see if there's a spike in the birth rate amongst PA readers nine months from now.

Butler on
  • Options
    ColeTColeT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I re-registered to post about the season finale, because I had a registration several years ago and have forgotten it since. This whole show has really meant a lot to me. I've spent since 1999, when I was 13, reading penny arcade. Over the years, Mike and Jerry, much through the influence of Khoo I'm sure, have made themselves more and more available and knowable to their readership. It started with Childs Play, going through PAX, the podcasts, the D&D podcasts, and now most recently, with PATV. In the last several years their outlook on life has made me realize a lot about myself, and how short I've been selling myself. The fact that two guys who's personalities and hobbies and likes and dislikes I can, if not always agree with, relate to have made such large successes on themselves in a business they love, and with women they adore has helped me realize that that's an option for me too. PA TV specifically has convinced me to attend college. I'm almost 24 now, and never really expected to go to school after high school, or thought someone like me would be able to do it. But seeing what these guys have accomplished, the whole office, has made me realize that just because I'm a little weird doesn't mean I'm less capable of being a success. I want to thank Khoo, Mike, Jerry, Kurtz and everyone else at the PA/PVP office for the helping hand you've unknowingly, and possible unwillingly put forward in directing my path in life. Thank you so much for letting those of us who can't see a higher expectation for ourselves into your world and showing us that just because you're not a mainstream normal guy/girl doesn't mean you should expect any less of yourselves.

On an episodic note, I burst into manly tears when jerry said his line and that picture of them at the wedding came up. I'd been holding them back since about 4 minutes into the episode, and I just lost it there.

ColeT on
    225px-RedHat.svg.png
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    NewEnglish wrote: »
    "I just don't feel happy."

"Well, that's okay. Do you want to tell me about your feelings?"

That exchange really stuck with me. Growing up in the 80s among a very reserved family in the upper-Midwest, expressing emotions was so discouraged that I was left with only unhealthy ways of dealing with them. I think about all the emotional problems I had then and how I've carried them with me through adulthood, and I wonder how much different I would be now if only my parents had the wisdom to ask me, "Do you want to talk about your feelings?"

You and me both, brother. /hi5

When Jerry and Mike talk about their past personal issues and how they dealt with it, that is what really hits home with me, because I'm still struggling with mine. At least this shows me that it can be done and that you can come out at the other end of the tunnel.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

That exchange really stuck with me. Growing up in the 80s among a very reserved family in the upper-Midwest, expressing emotions was so discouraged that I was left with only unhealthy ways of dealing with them. I think about all the emotional problems I had then and how I've carried them with me through adulthood, and I wonder how much different I would be now if only my parents had the wisdom to ask me, "Do you want to talk about your feelings?"

Thanks for the glimpse into your lives, Penny Arcade.

I also really felt that impact of that exchange. My mom was a speech pathologist/early childhood teacher and she always
    told me to 'use my words' to describe how I was feeling. It worked for a while but when I became a teenager it ended
    there. Whenever she was angry at me and I expressed my anger it made things worse so I had to stop showing any
    emotion at all whenever we were fighting. I basically became a Vulcan and the confrontation would end a lot quicker
    without my emotions helping to stoke the fire.

Then she started taking a Prozac type drug and she became a decent person again. Now that she is finally retired and
    not stressed out she is actually nice to be around.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Holy shit, Jerry had hair! How long have he and Mike been married?

Also, great episode. I actually enjoy reading Penny Arcade more now after watching these. And Khoo, don't print this thread out, Mike and Jerry have computers, they can read it on their own! You're wasting paper!

Coinage on
  • Options
    LucentLucent Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been following Penny Arcade since 2000, and that last bit at the end with Jerry looking through the scrap book just completely ruined me. I actually teared up and felt some real emotion there; the whole episode was absolutely fantastic, but that bit at the end was so moving.

It kind've feels like having known these guys through their lives, having followed the comic -- and by extension them -- for all these years, so seeing that flashback moment just sort've brought it all full circle for me and made me so nostalgic.

This kind of stuff deserves to be on television.

Lucent on
    s6e07VashAndJennySig2.png
    I'm afraid to click that spoiler. I'm not sure I want to know. I'll just keep trying to fuck everything. -- trentsteel
  • Options
    KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Watching this series has given me ample time to reflect. One of the most striking things to me is the fact these were the people (Mike, Jerry, and similarly most gamers) ostracized, on some level, for being different; these people who are so wonderful, passionate, and generous. Anyways, Penny Arcade has been a great blessing in my life, and I truly want to thank each and every member of it for being my refuge at the end of the day. Sorry for the tangent.

Season finale related:

Thanks for the glimpse into your lives, Penny Arcade.

Stuck out to me, because my parents treated me in such a similar manner in how Jerry and his wife treat their son (through acknowledging and validating his emotions); the result being on my best days I was (and am) more emotionally mature than my peers and on my worst days I was (and am) equipped with the skills needed to handle my profound feelings of loneliness or depression through dialogue or introspection rather than through isolation.

Kabitzy on
    W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
  • Options
    LucentLucent Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shit like this makes me so proud to be a fan and seeing these moments into their lives has been unbelievable.

I forgot to even bring up that moment of seeing Jerry talking to his son about his feelings and how I wish that had been the environment I'd grown up in. Those are some very fortunate and very loved children on both Mike and Jerry's sides of the Penny-Arcade picket fence.

On a less serious and sentimental note, I would love to see a Khoospawn sometime.

Lucent on
    s6e07VashAndJennySig2.png
    I'm afraid to click that spoiler. I'm not sure I want to know. I'll just keep trying to fuck everything. -- trentsteel
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited August 2010
    highly unlikely.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Way to be a party-pooper, Khoo.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited August 2010
    it's what i do. i poop on the parties.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i'm just imagining the face of khoo on a baby

LaCabra on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    complete with facial hair

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Coinage wrote: »
    How long have he and Mike been married?

Heh.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    LaCabra wrote: »
    i'm just imagining the face of khoo on a baby
    complete with facial hair
    aGCsT.png

BoomShake on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    make it happen, robert

LaCabra on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    babykhoo.jpg

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You just know that immediately after birth baby-Khoo is negotiating to lower the medical bill because the birth was so efficient the doctor didn't have to do much work.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Argus wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/Goatmon/MikeandJerry.png

quote please.

That's over 500k, not supposed to show directly if it is.

Oh dang, didn't realize that.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

This discussion has been closed.