As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[APB] All Points Bulletin, I'm gettin' too old for this sh*t...

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The problem with the SHAW is that in real life, getting hit by even one bullet sucks. So nobody wants to stand in front of the gun that's firing lots of bullets over a wide area. In game, getting hit by a bullet here and there is no big thang. Being able to fire for 5 minutes straight is nice, but at most ranges the other guy will just casually crouch and empty a clip into you before you put enough weak ass shots into him to matter.
    I haven't found any situations where I'd want a SHAW over almost any other gun, except for stopping enemy vehicles. And there's better tools for that.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Madpoet wrote: »
    The problem with the SHAW is that in real life, getting hit by even one bullet sucks. So nobody wants to stand in front of the gun that's firing lots of bullets over a wide area. In game, getting hit by a bullet here and there is no big thang. Being able to fire for 5 minutes straight is nice, but at most ranges the other guy will just casually crouch and empty a clip into you before you put enough weak ass shots into him to matter.
    I haven't found any situations where I'd want a SHAW over almost any other gun, except for stopping enemy vehicles. And there's better tools for that.

The Shaw is a decent support weapon. Its good for keeping people pinned down while your groupmates move in for the kill or toss grenades.

The 2 or 3 slot Shaw with damping, in short bursts, is actually a really good rooftop camping gun.

If you're soloing and using a SHAW...well, ur doin it rong.

Skwigelf on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I use my Ntec when I soloing. I like it in teams for pinning someone down and the other day in the financial district we had to orotect places, so I got up on the highway and blew up their car everytime they tried to drive to the spots. Eventually they started going on foot, but they still had to Dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge to avoid getting shot.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That nerdrage illustrates exactly what's wrong with the mentality of people who play this game. This guy wants his upgrades back just because he wants to go and stuff them on the next most overpowered weapon, and will continue to do so until the weapons are all finely balanced. Then he'll complain that the game has been broken by all the balance tunes because he can no longer take the most bullshit weapon and drop the most bullshit bullshit into it to give him an advantage that someone who is selecting all of their stuff based on the aesthetics of their avatar.

TLDR people who play minmax metagames in gaming care way too much about winning and not enough about playing the actual game. . . If you want to minmax go buy the latest football manager sim.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's the mentality of 99% of people I've run into playing competitive MMO games period (and all of you who went 'well not me' in your heads reading this, you're a filthy filthy liar). It only stops, or rather stops mattering, when the devs get off their butts and balance the games. This is why balance is important.

I mean yes you can complain about 'those people' but keep in mind 'those people' are almost the entirety of the customer base, and it's the devs' responsibility to mitigate that crap by balancing the game.

Astale on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just wish more people would play the game knowing that if they're rock they should avoid paper instead of trying to use the dynamite du jour or argue that rock should crush paper along with scissors and that the game has been terribly broken when the devs change the rock to no longer crush paper.

. . . I'm just going to make rock paper scissors the MMO.

edit:

... I picked my weapons based on what I thought would be cool for my dude to use. . . and because some of the clan gifted me weapons to get me started.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    As Ein can attest to, I occasionally have problems with grenades.

This time, my brother and I chased down an escaping crim that was decked out better than we were. We killed him once, he killed us both once, and we killed him again to get it to sudden death for the victory.

However, to get the second kill on him I was fighting him across rooftops. Just as I primed and threw my grenade my brother ran up and killed the criminal from behind, and got a grenade to the face, giving the criminal the win. I was in a LAN cafe and bottling up the laughter almost made me red out.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Boot2TheHeadBoot2TheHead Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Feeling pretty done with this game. I've been playing it a lot over the past month but it stopped being fun when they turned punkbuster off. Now I'm not even saying there are any hackers in the game, it's hard to tell. But it would be nice to know that they have some way of catching hackers. Seems to me they don't. So hack=win + $$$. Instead of hack=ban.

Plus, the game seems so inaccurate. Sometimes 4 confirmed hits is a kill, sometimes 10 confirmed hits (with same weapon) is a kill. Huh?

Boot2TheHead on
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Distance is a factor.

Camui on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Camui wrote: »
    Distance is a factor.

Sure, but you do so much fighting in this game between 40 and 20m. I find it hard to believe that a bullet is half as lethal at 40m than 20m. Or even 25% less lethal. Maybe I'm wrong, since I know zero about ballistics of bullets. Still, sometimes it seems like I can kill someone with 4 shots at 20m and sometimes it takes 8. Spray and Pray indeed.

Boot2TheHead on
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    using an ntec and shooting a person who has no health or damage redcutions slotted is worlds different from shooting someone with mon3/surv3/regen3 and is usually why some people seem to just take loads of bullets to be killed.

Sonork on
  • Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Have they made any changes to monolith, et cetera yet? Even though I'm an OC Whore I think the weapons changes are decent enough for me to go back in and use a couple more hours of my time. While the weapon changes affect everyone, the problem now is fighting uphill - when I take on someone with these mega upgrades I need 3-4 more hits than they need on me for a kill, which is basically a license to get owned.

What I'd really like to see is the three round rifle get a buff (Obeya?) - that thing was worse than useless, and it should be a viable alternative to the NTEC.

I never got into arrests as an enforcer but I imagine that tons of enforcers nerdraged all over the NL9 change.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Have they made any changes to monolith, et cetera yet? Even though I'm an OC Whore I think the weapons changes are decent enough for me to go back in and use a couple more hours of my time. While the weapon changes affect everyone, the problem now is fighting uphill - when I take on someone with these mega upgrades I need 3-4 more hits than they need on me for a kill, which is basically a license to get owned.

What I'd really like to see is the three round rifle get a buff (Obeya?) - that thing was worse than useless, and it should be a viable alternative to the NTEC.

I never got into arrests as an enforcer but I imagine that tons of enforcers nerdraged all over the NL9 change.

Nope.

And the weapon changes have not gone to live yet either. All the NL-9, OCA and N-Tec scrubs are raging about the changes.

Not that it really matters to me, I haven't played in at least a week. Maybe after the weapon changes hit live I might pick it back up, assuming I am done with DA:O, A

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I thought the N-Tec was a middle of the road weapon

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2010
    lol I have enough points to purchase my 30 day pass but I'm waiting for other people to actually play with me before I waste it soloing.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I thought the N-Tec was a middle of the road weapon

Highly useful weapon. Decent at 60m, great at 40m, decent at 20m. Under that and it gets owned by an OCA. It gets used a lot because changing weapons is a pain, so you usually have to make one weapon work for the whole mission.

An NTEC and a Magnum pistol are a great combination.

Boot2TheHead on
  • Options
    CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sorry for throwing the odd man in to the thread but I've recently thought about getting the game, and the only way I would really have fun with it would be to play with PA. How active is "Two Days To Retirement" and is the game fun and varied enough for a fifty plus dollar investment?

CostanzaK on
    "We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I play in Two Days and I usually have time to play in the early afternoons Tuesday - Friday. My older brother can usually play it Mon - Wed in the afternoons and my younger brother's in the Air Force and his schedule is week to week.

Usually when I get on I'm the only one, but if people post on the forum that they're playing I'll get on when I can.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2010
    CostanzaK wrote: »
    is the game fun and varied enough for a fifty plus dollar investment?

Considering it's 10 a month to play plus 50 to buy, I'd say no. The purchase does include 20 hours or so but that's almost no time really. You'd easily burn that up in 2 weeks. I didn't think I would, but I did.

The games got issues. I wouldn't put down $50 for it until the hack catcher comes back. I've heard of many and wondrous hacks (aimbot, wall hack, no recoil hack, always sprint hack) for this game and the hack catcher was on for like 2 days.

I suspect you'll be able to pick it up for $20 inside of 2 months. Watch for a Steam sale.

Boot2TheHead on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    is the game fun and varied enough for a fifty plus dollar investment?
    Considering it's 10 a month to play plus 50 to buy, I'd say no. The purchase does include 20 hours or so but that's almost no time really. You'd easily burn that up in 2 weeks. I didn't think I would, but I did.

It's fun enough to burn through 20 (it's 50 actually) hours in 2 weeks, but not enough to pay for?

For all the bitching I do, I still feel like I got my $60 out of it. There are some balance issues, and it's rough to get going, but the good times are really good. I think they're on the right track to fixing a lot of the issues. I do worry that things may have gone on too long for the population to ever reach critical mass. The buddy key system should help that a little. I won't give it a wholehearted "Yes, you should get this!", but I don't think you'll consider the cash wasted.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sorry for throwing the odd man in to the thread but I've recently thought about getting the game, and the only way I would really have fun with it would be to play with PA. How active is "Two Days To Retirement" and is the game fun and varied enough for a fifty plus dollar investment?

I don't play the game but my brother does. He says wait for it to drop in price, which should only be another month as things are going now.

And it's probably been mentioned many times in this thread, but trial invites are now available and I'm currently downloading the client.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I got the game last month and I've still got about 20 hours left.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2010
    And, my first mission after giving the game the thumbs up was a call for backup into a farm mission vs a full team of hacking hp/dmg modded adeen users with the team leader afk botting. I stole a couple cars, then quit.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Meowth is looking really nice. Also, it sounds nice. ;-)

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The best thing is that when I'm driving around, I found the best song to play with my 2k amp and 2+ Bass booster. And since it's a song ingame on the player, anyone who has music still on, can hear it loud and proud almost a block away.

DIMMU BORGIR - Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse. You can youtube the music video for it.

Camui on
  • Options
    WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah only thats not how that works Camui. It will play something of a similar genre from the library, or I believe last.fm. Your own music however, is not played for other players. Do you have any idea how many times they would be sued by RIAA if they allowed that?

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    except that is how it works if it's a song already on the game's sound track. . . you know, like Dimmu Borgir's Progenies of the Great Apocalypse.

also, just checked out the video for that and I wonder if Dimmu Borgir actually think they look cool doing videos like that?

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Awww, that's a bummer. I imported all my Bob Log III music into the game. Sucks that nobody else gets to hear it.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yup, I like that I stated the song is already INGAME.

Camui on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Argus and I are on Two Days right now. Company welcome.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SygnonSygnon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    this was pulled off the boards at apb.
    http://na.apb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101502
    The Truth About Hacking is the thread name:

This is the truth...I am an aimbotter.

First off, I would like to tip my hat to the RTW crew for producing APB. The game is unparalleled in the MMO field when it comes to customization. And while mostly trying to be a shooter, I think it has tremendous potential as an MMO, developed over time with some balanced PVE elements and expansions to content - I honestly believe that APB could have been the next juggernaut in online gaming.

But I digress.

I jumped into this game during the KttC event and had a blast! Albeit, there was a learning curve when playing against those who were in the beta, I felt like everything was pretty much evenly matched...I was about 50/50 when it came to killing peeps. I took a break during the headstart, but was back in it at launch.

When I logged back in, something had noticeably changed. At first, it was subtle. There were just some people that didn''t seem to miss. Some people that I couldn''t outflank. As the days rolled by those "some" people became "alot" of people.

At first, I thought it was me. I wanted to compete in this game - it was going to be the next big MMO. So I bought a new gaming rig...top end processors, video card, mouse, keyboard - the works. It wasn''t enough. I bought a butt load of RTW points - decked my toon out in top end gear. It wasn''t enough. Sure, I could kill peeps faster, my ratio improved. But I still couldn''t make my guns do magic people were still shooting me, at distance, full auto all-whilst I was sprinting and bunny hopping from cover to cover...with every round hitting me.

Then I started some research. I started to record some of my firefights...and noticed it''s not that some people don''t SEEM to miss, it''s that they DON''T miss. I started to browse through the forums, blogs and websites. I learned about the Unreal Engine APB runs on and I learned about Aimbot.

At first, I resisted. But as the days went on, the number of Aimbotters I played against grew. I couldn''t really identify them right off all I knew was that they always saw me first, and every bullet they fired hit their mark. I became frustrated and caved in.

Currently, I subscribe to two of the more popular Aimbot sites and been using the hacks for about month. From the moment I used the hacks, I started to make my gun do magic. I could immediately tell who was using the same tools I were. When I use my ESP radar, I can see who counter moves my flanking attempts, just as if they had the same radar. Round for Round, I could land the same amount of bullets they are, from any range - regardless of movement. Except now I had the advantage, cause of all of my upgrades.

1v1, against under equipped toons, they didn''t stand a chance...even if they were hacking too. I had to turn off some of my hacks to maintain balance. And when I run up against some R200+ hacker I''d just turn them all back on again to get my kill ratio back to 50/50.

So I''m going to lay it all out to you APB community!

The Truth about Hacking:

1) Hacking costs. A reputable hack client costs anywhere from the neighborhood of $20-$50 a month. There are free ones out there, but they don''t get updated as much and are easier to detect by 3rd party detection programs.

2) The Hackers greatest fear is getting caught. And it''s not being caught or called out by another player that is fearful. It''s the thought that the hack program will get detected. The first day Punkbuster rolled out, many players - even entire clans - didn''t play for the fear of getting caught. For the most part every time the APB devs announce an update to Punkbuster - expect the game to go back to it''s "virgin" state. This is while the hack coders can verify or reprogram the hack so it stays Punkbuster proof. The legend of the "Punkbuster Perma Ban" is what kept most peeps from not turning on their hacks during times of high risk. Legend has it, that PunkBuster can ban a user from all "Punkbuster" games utilizing a computers unique hardware code ID. Such a ban would force a user to practically change the major components of his PC to bypass such a ban. This is only an Urban Myth, of course

3) It''s hard detect a hack. Punkbuster is notorious for not catching up-to-date hack clients. The programmers of major hacks have a business in keeping their hack working right. Some of them have insiders with the programmers of the detection software. Most of the good hacks don''t really install software on your machine or interact with the game in a detectable fashion. The Hacking APB client is not pulling information from the game and
    feeding it back into the game as you would normally think, that would be to easy of a compromise for detection programs. Instead, the hacking client gathers information from your graphics card. Since your graphics card renders everything in the game, it knows where all of the toons are at, who is the closest, and how your toon should be aiming at it...the hack program simply adapts your input and UI to match the graphic card data.

4) I haven''t been detected yet. There was a time for the first two days of Punkbuster activation I stayed away from the hacks, I enjoyed playing against all the non-hackers but that was only for the first two days. After that, the hack programmers declared that they were "Punkbuster proof", and I was back aimbotting with everyone else. And while some hackers have received a warning email...I use the hack religiously and have yet to get such an email.

5) It''s hard to truly identify a hacker in game. Unless you''ve some experience in hacking a shooting game...for the most part it''s hard to tell if someone is honestly owning you or your fighting a hacker

6) It''s easy to identify a hacker. Once you''ve started hacking, they stick out like sore thumbs.

7) Hackers have weaknesses. Up to recently, one of the major hack clients didn''t allow friendly fire: 5 star peeps on the same side as the hacker couldn''t be targeted by Aimbotters and Crim v. Crim was a disability for these hackers. There was a span recently, for like 2 days, when this particular Hack client adjusted their aimbot to allow for friendly fire. This caused people to indiscriminately shoot their teammates this became a particular problem on the Enforcer side, as Enforcer Hackers were not accustomed to ever have to shoot another enforcer during a mission. Eventually, the hack got adjusted so that the friendly fire can be toggle on or off. Some hack clients can''t aimbot through fences, gates, and other see through objects. It is apparent from these various weaknesses, some hack clients are superior to others.

You can''t see the actions of one Hacker toon, and apply them to all toons. Aimbots, ESP radar, and other hacks are adjustable and act different. You can adjust your hack to only be accurate with only every other bullet, I can toggle the ability to aimbot through walls Some hacks will let me go into "rage mode" and shoot my gun for me when ever a target becomes available, allowing me to focus on moving my toon. Other hacks let me sprint with heavy items or weapons. Others still will let me shoot while driving a car. Some hacks clients are superior to others.

Why am I putting all of this out there. I have a soft spot for this game. I wish it would succeed - I want it to succeed. RTW, Toxico, or anyone else in the position of influence reading this, take heed - this game will fail if you don''t stop the hacking. And you can still fix it, it''s not too late...

After my experience - the easiest way to stop the madness is to give everyone aimbot...they call it "Aim Assist" in console games. Granted, some peeps will complain about it being too easy but it won''t be the people getting owed by aimbotters. The complainers will be by the hacker. By giving everyone Aim Assist, it makes less of a game that relies on aim and trigger squeeze and more of a game that favors the tactician and team communication.

It is amazing that when a match of 4v4 all aimbotters are going down, how much the game turns into team tactics. Making sure you have the right mix of weapons and coordinating pinning, flanking and assaulting your objectives, not a game of N-tec Dvahs and OCA''s spraying down armies of people without wasting a bullet.

In addition, in order to get rid of the hackers, RTW you need to activate Punkbuster without announcing it. Let it simmer for a week then do a mass banning. Then everytime they update it, update your Punkbuster and insta ban anyone hacking. Once this game doesn''t become lucrative to the hacker programmers, they''ll stop wasting their time with it.

Ultimately, my conservative estimate of hackers in this game is 1in3. Normally, when running around in an action district - that is what the norm seems to be. I''m in one of the major Clans, we place consistently on the leaderboards and the ratio seems to hold true among it''s members.

So there you have it, and like Pontius Pilate - I wash my hands of it. I deploy to Afghanistan next week and I don''t expect the game to be viable when I get back in a year. So you can feel free to ban me Toxico, But I hope you give me this chance to let the masses have some kind of guide to awareness of the hackers in this otherwise great game.

You can let this post stick.

Or you can silence it, make me a scapegoat, cover this up and give Barabbas back to the people.

PS: Just like the countless times claimed by other skilled "non-hackers", I''ve been called out by other players. To those who called me out... start by turning off your ESP Radar! I can see when your hacking too!

Sygnon on
    b0b11710e1ddcbfc1958f52a53cb7566.png
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ^ This man speaks Truth.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They covered it up! :D

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Getting on now, Enforcer on Zombie

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Getting on now, Enforcer on Zombie

I'm on as Gildiss.

Brian on
  • Options
    SygnonSygnon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    LTL getting slots. I was a moron to think they would improve this from beta.

Sygnon on
    b0b11710e1ddcbfc1958f52a53cb7566.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Earlier today I played against a criminal. We were fighting, and all of a sudden he just stopped everything. I killed him, but when he started moving again he told me his browser minimized because of a pop up so I let him kill me to get it even. He said thanks, and we actually had a nice friendly time filling each other full of lead. It was refreshing.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Also, what's the main difference between the two sniper rifles? I notice that one has less health damage and more stamina damage. Is that useful at all?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Both can kill in two hits, the HVR is more accurate and slower to shoot. The other one shoots faster but after the first shot, it loses a lot of accuracy. The only other good thing about the DRM one is the fact when used with the retarded Stun weapons, they do alot of stamina damage, which can stun a target much faster.

But it's not like the NL9 at the moment needs help.

Camui on
This discussion has been closed.