As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Fallout 3 - DLC: Point Lookout: All sets!

• Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Woah, OK, didn't mean to start the whole modding fight thing.

What I MEANT to say, was that mods, as I see it, allow you to change bits of the game you didn't like, or add things you felt were missing. If you had neither of those issues, then no mods for you, fine.

It's this creation of a personalised, tailored game for your playstyle alone that I feel makes Fallout 3 go from an amazing game to a transcendent one.

In this case, making a LP, for a large number of people to watch, using mods will risk turning some people off watching. Like I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't be watching this if you were using a mod that added futuristic multi-function assault rifles, cause that seems weird to me. Keeping it neutral keeps your audience large.

Great LP so far, looking forward to more.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    topgamer1980topgamer1980 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this is interesting...

just recently finished Fallout 3 with nearly 100 hrs

topgamer1980 on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I really wonder how long this LP will be.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    Just thought you might want to go and check this stash.

Nice! will try and remember it next time I'm near megaton. Free loot is always good!

Peff wrote: »
    Any thoughts on playing good/neutral/bad? Seems like you're more neutral/do what it takes to survive sort of mentality thus far.

My play style is mostly what will net me the most reward, otherwise I usually go for what's funniest, if the funny option is likely to really piss someone important (or tougher than me) off then I'll just go with with the most reasonable option. I rarely go for the obvious good questions/responses as they are usually too over the top.

I am playing a girl though, that's actually effected some choices, like I asked Amata if she was ok, I wouldn't usually do that but I thought it was something that a girl friend might do. Guess I RP slightly too :D

atat23 on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok so I've watched most of Set 2 (didn't have time to watch the last video but I will tonight), and I had a couple notes:

First, you run faster when you holster your gun. It's not a giant improvement, but it does help and it also looks less silly with you waving your pistol in everyone's face as you talk to them in town. I guess that 2nd part is more of a role-playing thing, but the faster running is a genuine benefit.

Second, why you no go to the high school in Springvale? That's always the first place I hit up, usually right after taking care of Silver; lots of raiders in there that are generally easy to kill, which means you can really stock up on ammo and a few different guns. As I said I missed the last video so maybe you did it there, but it looked like you were heading out of town towards Arefu.

Also, a little side-tip: You might want to get your lockpick up to at least 25 very soon... it will let you open a great number of lockboxes and such which can help lots. Early on you made it sound like you were going to invest in lockpicking, so I wondered why you invested nothing into it for the first couple levels. Maybe there were other priorities. :)

The last is more a personal preference, but I can't believe you gimped your charisma so bad... Speech is one of the more useful skills in the game when it comes to earning cash and sidequest advancement. I'm not saying you should change this on your char (too late now!) but I just found it odd. It does make the situation more amusing when you actually manage to pass a speech check though.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I knew holstering makes you run faster, it barely makes a noticeable difference to be honest.

I've barely levelled up so far, still level 3 at the moment and without a decent amount of small guns I'm going to get raped no matter where I go so I prefer that over lockpick at the moment. Plenty of time for all that since it's still really early on.

Didn't go to the high school just because I wanted to get straight into some quests and the Arefu one is simple enough (as long as you don't get killed getting there) and gives some nice little extras.

I've had previous chars that had a decent charisma but I usually ended up failing way more speech checks than I passed, even at 60%+. I just prefer to put the points into what I feel are more valuable areas.

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I've heard other people mention that they didn't really notice much of a difference having their gun holstered, but I sure noticed it. Maybe it was mostly in my head, I dunno... but I always have put my gun away when not in combat. I guess I found it more important to do so with larger guns (like assault rifles and such) because they also partially block the screen and when I'm exploring, I like to be able to see everything. But whatever's your thing is cool, I was just commenting.

Regarding Small Guns skill... I never found it all that important to max it out. Pretty much every time I've played through the game, I tend to put 3-5 points into it and just let it rise naturally that way. It doesn't seem to have a tremendous effect on things except when you go into VATS, which I generally have only done when things really go tits up and I need to stop time for a second and get some super-accurate shots, such as shooting the grenade out of a Super Mutant's hand.

I think VATS was more important to me when I played the 360 version though... once I switched to the PC and had mouse aiming, I found I rarely needed it anymore.

Anyways, just yapping, don't take anything I say too seriously. Really enjoying the videos so far. :D

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    topgamer1980topgamer1980 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've heard other people mention that they didn't really notice much of a difference having their gun holstered, but I sure noticed it. Maybe it was mostly in my head, I dunno... but I always have put my gun away when not in combat. I guess I found it more important to do so with larger guns (like assault rifles and such) because they also partially block the screen and when I'm exploring, I like to be able to see everything. But whatever's your thing is cool, I was just commenting.

Regarding Small Guns skill... I never found it all that important to max it out. Pretty much every time I've played through the game, I tend to put 3-5 points into it and just let it rise naturally that way. It doesn't seem to have a tremendous effect on things except when you go into VATS, which I generally have only done when things really go tits up and I need to stop time for a second and get some super-accurate shots, such as shooting the grenade out of a Super Mutant's hand.

I think VATS was more important to me when I played the 360 version though... once I switched to the PC and had mouse aiming, I found I rarely needed it anymore.

Anyways, just yapping, don't take anything I say too seriously. Really enjoying the videos so far. :D

with VATS, I find myself sticking to my rifles 90% of the time, so Small Guns all the way!

aiming was not required too with VATS on 360

topgamer1980 on
  • Options
    Liberty WingsLiberty Wings Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    hey guys, I'm new to this forum (1st post actually).

can anyone explain what this [Let's Play] thing is (or how it works)?

Liberty Wings on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    hey guys, I'm new to this forum (1st post actually).

can anyone explain what this [Let's Play] thing is (or how it works)?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=102474

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Set 3: As Gay as Twilight

Set 3 now uploaded (note to self: always upload these vids at work, the upload time went from 30 mins,at home, to 3-4 minutes at work, nice!)

Anyway what I want to know from someone is, does my heavy breathing make me sound like a rapist or like I'm making some kind of perverted phone call? Think I need to try and sort my mic out, it's too sensitive and picks up too much.

Also want to apologise for the throat clearing, feels like I'm coming down with something other than Fallout Fever. Maybe Rad poisoning?

I've also tried to add some spice with titles to the sets, I think the OP looked boring with just a list of sets.

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Haven't seen Set 3 yet, but during Set 2 I noticed the heavy breathing a bit. It wasn't -too- annoying really, as your commentary is great and generally makes up for it. ;)

Can't wait to watch Set 3 tonight!

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Haven't seen Set 3 yet, but during Set 2 I noticed the heavy breathing a bit. It wasn't -too- annoying really, as your commentary is great and generally makes up for it. ;)

well I think it's worse in set 3, on the way home tonight I'm going to see about getting a new Mic hopefully.

Also, thanks! ^_^

atat23 on
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do you have enough lockpick (using mentants) to get the bobblehead in Arefu now?

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Set 4: Bethesda and Bugs

Set four is now up.

I didn't know about youtube's new fifteen minute limit when I edited these but for the next set I'llkeep it in mind, enjoy!

atat23 on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Good set. The hurt-sounds the female PC makes are really awkward. Never noticed that before, since I've only used male PCs. Never saw that conversation glitch before, either. So it looks like you'll be doing quests, as you've done Arefu and now Agatha. Are you going to do an all quest LP? Because that would be all types of great.

About the captive in the first part, muties take captives for dinner and mutation. She was either off to join Sticky at Germantown or into a vat of FEV/the GECK room (oddly, you never actually see any FEV in F3, and I can only assume they use the molecular rejiggering-stuff of the GECK to mutate folks).

You might also like to know (since you passed through Bethesda), there is a respawning raider inside the East offices. He carries a Heavy Weapons book. Every time, every 73 days, like clockwork. Might not want to record the entire experience, but its a glitch I always use to up Heavy Weapons (I never actually use HW, I just like having 100). Also, loved the slide maneuver that raider did when he got killed. Slid right onto the ground floor with a face full of buck.

Watching you play is making me want to reinstall my Fallout 3 (it got janked with mods, so I moved on to other stuff). I crave my Chinese Jumpsuit/Ghoul Mask/Commando Hat outfit with Xaunlong and Zhu-Rong.

Edit: So I only watched half of it earlier, because its a long set. Just finished. Noticed you went to the Rock, good stuff. You can use that area for "farm" molerats when Moira asks you to, about.... I think 4, in total, can be found just be walking around Megaton in a circle. Wait 73 hours and repeat. Cheap but effective.

Also, that bit in the Super Duper Mart, when you were screwing around with the cart, you can kinda exploit that Z key. Carry something solid in front of you while crouched. Enjoy the shield. :P

I do love that bit when the raiders return to the Duper. I wish there were more moments like that, first time through the game, I suddenly though Lord Humongous was about to bust down the doors and devour me.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "Uh, well, we'll just pretend it's a Stratocaster so she can rock out."

Brilliant :lol:

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Oh, I wonder what the Chinese manuals increase"
    "Sneak +2"

that'sracist.jpg

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, thanks to this, I want to get my copy back from my friend and dive back into it.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    Are you going to do an all quest LP? Because that would be all types of great.

yeah, going to try and do all the major side quests at least.

atat23 on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That will be cool, whatever you do though, don't stop rescuing the teddy bears :D

Oh and to find Walter for the scrap metal or do some business with Moria, I find them in their places at 8 am after sleeping in the bed of our place in Megaton. Since you rest here and there anyways (and since time waits on the character, so you never miss anything that I have found so far by being late to somewhere), its a really easy way to find characters in Megaton by just putting it to 8 am from a sleep since they will always be in roughly the same place at that time.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GarrisGarris Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    well I recently had to give up my pc due to crapping out, so now im going to get a copy for my 360 :D thanks to this lets play for sucking up my money.

Garris on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Garris wrote: »
    well I recently had to give up my pc due to crapping out, so now im going to get a copy for my 360 :D thanks to this lets play for sucking up my money.

hehe, money well spent!

I currently own the PS3 (+DLC) and the GOTY PC version. I'm tempted to look on ebay for the special edition with the bobble head. I was waiting to see what the New Vegas special edition offered but it doesn't look as good as the original special edition. That isn't to say I won't be getting it though!

Set five now up:

Set 5:Minesweeper

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Now all I can think about is seeing Rita from Arrested Development in the wasteland. You keep taking the tiny teddies!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Now all I can think about is seeing Rita from Arrested Development in the wasteland. You keep taking the tiny teddies!

Mr Bear's extended family needs protection from the mutants and bandits too. They need a home!

Great LP so far, making me want to look into the PS3 version of this.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I've never actually seen the Mesmatron or anything of Paradise Falls than a smoking ruin so I'm excited to see how it works.

Really, I M.I.R.V.'d that place from 50 yards out and never looked back.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This LP finally persuaded me to acquire some Fallout 3 discs. Granted I can only run the game on Low settings, but it still looks pretty nonetheless.

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Set 6 up!

Set 6: Mole Rat Massacre

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

Mr Bear's extended family needs protection from the mutants and bandits too. They need a home!

yeah the original plan was just the Nuka Cola trucks but there seems to be a lot less of them than I remember. My connection to Mr Bear is so strong after all the time I spent in the tutorial with him that I have an overwhelming compulsion to save the little blighters :D

I've never actually seen the Mesmatron or anything of Paradise Falls than a smoking ruin so I'm excited to see how it works.

Really, I M.I.R.V.'d that place from 50 yards out and never looked back.

Yeah there isn't too much there that I'm interested in, I've never actually managed to enslave Arkansas though, he pisses me off so I usually just kill him. I've also never been this organised when it comes to the quest path so I thought I may as well pop by to get the Mesmertron before I went to Minefield.

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Set 7, now up!

Set 7: Great Bugs of Fire

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So I need you guys to let me know if I'm posting these updates too fast.

In any case maybe I'll leave the next update for a few days since I'm also interested to see where you guys want to see next.

The voting options are:
    1. Rivet City
    2. Ten Penny Tower
    3. Continue with Moira's quests (Arlington library/Robco Facility)

Well that update will be in a few days but there will probably be a filler set mopping up some places I've been to already.

As you vote, please remember:

white-the-kitsch-bitsch-pretty-girls-vote-1950-s-women_design.png
    I know you all want to be pretty girls

atat23 on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Finish off Moira ... Moria's quest I mean, the quest. I know you aren't her biggest fan because she loves the prozac but I rather like her upbeat take on a dark world, kinda reminds me of Louis from L4D. The responses one can give her with different SPECIAL stats and skills is rather fun as well, IMHO.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    atat23 wrote: »
    3. Continue with Moira's quests (Arlington library/Robco Facility)
    :^:
    I've made it my mission to crush Moira's spirit every time I play.

But nuking her is just the beginning...

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Count my vote for finishing Moira's quests.

The RobCo factory is full of humorous moments!

Well done LP, by the way. You update so often it's become something I check on daily.

Keep it up, BUUUUUDDY.

Re: nholder on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Keep it going on Moira.

What are your thoughts on going to The Pitt, Point Lookout, etc. ? After the story?

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll add my vote for you to do Moira's quests as well. Given that she's had you get radiation poisoning and broken bones, I just can't help but wonder what she's got lined for you next - and how dangerous it's going to be.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would like to see Ten Penny Tower, only because I hear there is the option to
    flood it with ghouls.

Huntera on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Keep it going on Moira.

What are your thoughts on going to The Pitt, Point Lookout, etc. ? After the story?

yeah it definitely crossed my mind when I started, I really have to see how many sets it will take to complete the main side quests and main story and see if there's any room in the thread after that.

atat23 on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "Alright, fuck this long-range shit."

I need to hear that in every set. :D

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Fell behind in my watchings! D:

Just finished up set 4, enjoyed it immensely. The new mic is quite nice indeed!

I do have to scold you on not picking up the SMGs.. why wouldn't you take those? They use 10mm ammo and are so much better than pistols!

Anyhow, enjoyed muchly and now I got more watchin' to do.

EDIT:

Aaaand set 5 down as well! Nice, I never thought to go to Paradise Falls before doing Minefield before! If I was doing an evil run where I intended on enslaving him, I usually just left ol' Arkansaw up on his building while I completed the quest and came back for him later. I also had never actually tried to talk that Slaver guard into giving me the Mesmatron before as a good karma character... I had just stupidly assumed it was impossible and slaughtered him. :P

Toxic Pickle on