As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2] Multiplayer discussion. After 12 long years, it has arrived.

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ashdrake wrote: »
    Just hit silver! I know there are folks on here that are much higher than that, but it feels great to me. I was informed by the gentleman who provided my silver win that "stealth is BS". The tears of another is a wonderful christening for a new bracket.

Other than tooting my horn, I wanted to say thanks. I read this thread constantly and some of the advice here has gotten me to silver.

Detection is greatly overlooked by the vast majority of players. As Protoss, Void Rays and Dark Templars can destroy an economy in seconds, and usually tilt the game in your favor.

Joe K on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    evilthecat wrote: »
    i don't believe it.
    roaches trash terran mech.
    who would have thought.

Roaches have gone from 'Must build vs everything' to a fairly reasonable counter to certain things. I still wish zerg was a little more flexible early game though. And that I could figure out how to go air as zerg in games I haven't already won.

edit - I usually remember to have detectors in my base, but I'm bad about remembering to send them with my attack waves. Many hydralisk attacks have been decimated by a couple dark templar.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Void Rays and Dark Templars can destroy an economy in seconds, and usually tilt the game in your favor.

Forcing someone to give up utilizing only 1 VR or one DT because they didn't build enough (or any) detection/anti-air is one of the best things ever - I had a game yesterday where one of my DT's was wandering around someone's base amusing himself for like 15 minutes, racked up almost 60 kills :)

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Also my post from earlier.
    This is the second time I have gotten hit with a wall in. I don't know how to counter this. I thought i was being really slick early game by scouting him and putting a pylon in his base, it looked like he wasn't doing much. He must have just started building shit outside my base right after my probe passed.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BK97AFAA

This is a longish game as I tried to hold him off with stalkers while I built up a second base.

Like I don't even know what unit you would use to counter a shit ton of cannons with multiple redundant pylons.

I didn't see an answer to this, I know watching a reply can take some time. Even telling me what units I would use to break a cannon wall in on my natural would be helpful. Due to the short choke points it seemed anything I put in there was killed easily as they couldn't focus down pylons fast enough.

I play Protoss.

You didn't scout it was the problem. You sent your probe to his base and didn't clue in to the fact that he had 1 pylon and no gateway or just a pair of earlier gas (indicative of proxy void rays). That right there are signs of a proxy which should have had another probe of yours send out of your base to find where the proxy was. Upon finding his buildings, rushing in with your zealots would have killed it.

You also could have supported a second gateway and more units in general with the amount of stuff you were building up, and the second gas seemed unnecessary since you built no gas intensive units with it.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    LockeCole wrote: »
    i don't believe it.
    who would have thought.

Roaches have gone from 'Must build vs everything' to a fairly reasonable counter to certain things. I still wish zerg was a little more flexible early game though. And that I could figure out how to go air as zerg in games I haven't already won.

how do you mean, flexible?
    zerg's 2 units versus the other races 3?

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Entriech wrote: »
    SF_Dhalsim wrote: »
    So apparently I got hacked last night after I logged off and immediately afterwards they added an authenticator to my account and now I can't login to sc2..... thank you you bastards.
    That sucks, dude. Hopefully Blizzard can sort it out for you quickly.

It's worth saying to you guys, as the SC2ers might not be in the know. Battle.net accounts are highly prized and targeted for thieving. Getting an authenticator is 100% worth it.

If no one has pointed this out yet (and even if they have, to add emphasis), if you have an iPhone or an Android Phone, getting an authenticator on your account is free. F R E E. It's an app available in the respective app stores of the phones.

(An iPod Touch connected to your WiFi will work as well).

Forgive my ignorance, but what's an authenticator, what does it do, and how does it help?

I'm not really familiar with WoW and password stealing, but my Steam account has far, far more value on it than whatever my BNet account is worth (One copy of Starcraft 2), but Steam don't require me to input my password every time. That's just bizarre.

Also usefully, Steam let's me link my account to my e-mail address, so changes can't be made unless they're verified from that e-mail account. Not bulletproof, but I have to wonder why Blizzard doesn't do similar, it drastically improves safety. And if the attacker has access to your e-mail address then you probably had bigger problems right from the start.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i don't believe it.
    who would have thought.

Yeah. Also no AA until tier 2 is kind of a bummer.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Your phone gets a secret number that updates every X seconds in synch with Blizzard. When you log in you type your password and your secret number.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    So apparently I got hacked last night after I logged off and immediately afterwards they added an authenticator to my account and now I can't login to sc2..... thank you you bastards.

It's worth saying to you guys, as the SC2ers might not be in the know. Battle.net accounts are highly prized and targeted for thieving. Getting an authenticator is 100% worth it.

If no one has pointed this out yet (and even if they have, to add emphasis), if you have an iPhone or an Android Phone, getting an authenticator on your account is free. F R E E. It's an app available in the respective app stores of the phones.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's an authenticator, what does it do, and how does it help?

I'm not really familiar with WoW and password stealing, but my Steam account has far, far more value on it than whatever my BNet account is worth (One copy of Starcraft 2), but Steam don't require me to input my password every time. That's just bizarre.

Also usefully, Steam let's me link my account to my e-mail address, so changes can't be made unless they're verified from that e-mail account. Not bulletproof, but I have to wonder why Blizzard doesn't do similar, it drastically improves safety. And if the attacker has access to your e-mail address then you probably had bigger problems right from the start.

An authenticator is a hardware device sold by blizzard, for ~$13 shipped, which generated a random #. So once you add one to an account, in order to login you need username(battle.net id), password, (pin code that you make up) + whatever is currently on the authenticator, which resets every 10 secs.

You can also get an iphone app, made by blizzard, for free to do this.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    skibo8826skibo8826 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I just got promoted to Platinum on a day where I won 2 games and lost 3... That makes me question whether I should be in that league or not haha. I guess I will be finding out the hard way.

skibo8826 on
    GT: mashbaugh67
    SCII: Sain.437
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i don't believe it.
    who would have thought.

the queen is one of the best AA units in the game between all of the races

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    This is the second time I have gotten hit with a wall in. I don't know how to counter this. I thought i was being really slick early game by scouting him and putting a pylon in his base, it looked like he wasn't doing much. He must have just started building shit outside my base right after my probe passed.

This is a longish game as I tried to hold him off with stalkers while I built up a second base.

Like I don't even know what unit you would use to counter a shit ton of cannons with multiple redundant pylons.

I didn't see an answer to this, I know watching a reply can take some time. Even telling me what units I would use to break a cannon wall in on my natural would be helpful. Due to the short choke points it seemed anything I put in there was killed easily as they couldn't focus down pylons fast enough.

I play Protoss.

You didn't scout it was the problem. You sent your probe to his base and didn't clue in to the fact that he had 1 pylon and no gateway or just a pair of earlier gas (indicative of proxy void rays). That right there are signs of a proxy which should have had another probe of yours send out of your base to find where the proxy was. Upon finding his buildings, rushing in with your zealots would have killed it.

You also could have supported a second gateway and more units in general with the amount of stuff you were building up, and the second gas seemed unnecessary since you built no gas intensive units with it.

Gotcha, so even in bronze, assume goosery before incompetence.

What would I use to break down that kind of entrenched cannon wall in though? Unit wise.

I plan on scouting better to not let that happen again, but just incase.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Queens are awesome early AA, plus they work together very well dropping creep for each other.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i don't believe it.
    who would have thought.

when did air units appear in tier 1? if they've got an air force, and you arent at tier 2, your already dead.

Still, zerg plays drastically differently than SC1. Protoss is closest to the old way, and Terran is fairly similar, but the Zerg man, they just dont play like they used to.

Joe K on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Deathwing wrote: »
    Void Rays and Dark Templars can destroy an economy in seconds, and usually tilt the game in your favor.

Forcing someone to give up utilizing only 1 VR or one DT because they didn't build enough (or any) detection/anti-air is one of the best things ever - I had a game yesterday where one of my DT's was wandering around someone's base amusing himself for like 15 minutes, racked up almost 60 kills :)

I think my favorite thing in the world is sending in a tiny little speedling scouting push, seeing a Dark shrine, getting detection, and then shredding the shit out of pretty much their entire strategy

Khavall on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aegis wrote: »

I play Protoss.

Gotcha, so even in bronze, assume goosery before incompetence.

What would I use to break down that kind of entrenched cannon wall in though? Unit wise.

I plan on scouting better to not let that happen again, but just incase.

Just don't.
    Terran: Medivacs
    Protoss: Pylon by your wall and warp gate units down
    Zerg: Nydus worm

Just don't use your own ramp. He spent a crapton of money keeping you from using your ramp, so warp a ton of zealots down from somewhere else along your wall and punish him for having a base full of nothing.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh, I'm not complaining about balance, but it is a little hard to be unpredictable with zerg in the early game. The AA used to be a bigger deal, but they slowed down how fast you could rush air.

I would like a tier 3 unit that could attack air though.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

An authenticator is a hardware device sold by blizzard, for ~$13 shipped, which generated a random #. So once you add one to an account, in order to login you need username(battle.net id), password, (pin code that you make up) + whatever is currently on the authenticator, which resets every 10 secs.

Good grief.

Well, I'm not quite inclined to pay an extra $13 for that. That's just nutty. I suppose I could sort of see it if you've got a WoW account that you've invested a tonne of time, in, but not for just one game.

I'd just as soon hope they let me tie my account to my e-mail address instead. Thanks for the response.

Another question, how does forcing manual re-entry of the password every time solve the problem of account hijackings? Have there been a lot of problems with password getting stolen from where the game stores it or something?

Because really, otherwise that sounds like something that would make things less secure. People are more likely to choose easy to remember passwords if they have to remember them every time.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Another question, how does forcing manual re-entry of the password every time solve the problem of account hijackings? Have there been a lot of problems with password getting stolen from where the game stores it or something?

Because really, otherwise that sounds like something that would make things less secure. People are more likely to choose easy to remember passwords if they have to remember them every time.
    It's largely keyloggers or phishing scams getting people's wow accounts. I doubt anyone who's email is associated with SC2 but not with wow (ie: haven't used it to sign up to a wow related site like curse) will even get targetted.

815165 on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So for someone who never plays multiplayer, where's a good place to start just to look at things like build times and unit stats to get a beginning understanding of what each unit is good for before just jumping in game? Tried googling and the tech tree is available all over, but none of them seem to really have any sort of "time to build" or anything along with it to help figure out how fast I can proceed towards any technology. Is that the sort of stuff you gotta figure out on your own?

I'm a protoss player primarily, and has anyone really used gateways much in game? They seem too limited for any sort of useful purpose.

edit: Found the spreadsheet in OP, sorry.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think my favorite thing in the world is sending in a tiny little speedling scouting push, seeing a Dark shrine, getting detection, and then shredding the shit out of pretty much their entire strategy

Heh :) Well, it's (my post at least) more of an amusement, or something you do if you have something else in place to back it up. I certainly don't build a Shrine right away, not before there's a stargate, a couple gateways, robotics, etc. up already.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd say if you're playing Starcraft II, you need an authenticator. The large amount of WoW account hijackings means that since they're looking to hack into battle.net IDs, Starcraft II players will get hacked on the offchance that you have a WoW account.

Get an authenticator, so in 3 months when your account gets hacked we don't have to say "we told you so."

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Good grief.

Well, I'm not quite inclined to pay an extra $13 for that. That's just nutty. I suppose I could sort of see it if you've got a WoW account that you've invested a tonne of time, in, but not for just one game.

I'd just as soon hope they let me tie my account to my e-mail address instead. Thanks for the response.

It's free for smart phones.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Khavall wrote: »

that's why it isnt the *entire* strategy... 3 warpgates, 2 forges and 2 stargates, and a robotics bay....

its pretty flexible, and as long as the economy flows you can switch up as needed.

Joe K on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Last night I played a good 2v2 game (one of my 2v2 random placement matches.)

Then I saw the results and replay and, well, it's bizarre. o_O

My teammate was a 1v1 Diamond League, Rank 1 player. Our opponents were both Platinum. (Just FYI, I'm Silver League Zerg.) It was a TZvTZ match.

Except everyone had an average APM of like 60-75. Me included.

I know APM isn't everything, but at least I would expect the Diamond guy to be crazy fast and stuff.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Leonius wrote: »
    Melkster wrote: »
    ,4-Q-252890-3.jpg

Wings of liberty.

This is awesome. Unrelated to that aircraft, Korean Air is the best airline I have ever flown with, I wish they did stopovers in California, I'd use them to go cross country in the US.
    If the flights had SC installed into the seat in front of you and an in-flight tournament, they could have all my monies.

This. This. This.

Rivulent on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Joe K wrote: »

that's why it isnt the *entire* strategy... 3 warpgates, 2 forges and 2 stargates, and a robotics bay....

its pretty flexible, and as long as the economy flows you can switch up as needed.

Sounds like you'd be spreading yourself pretty thing with 3 warpgates, 2 stargates and a robo bay if all you had was 2 bases. Seems unnecessary, I usually stick with a stargate or a robo bay or a ton of warpgates (occasionally adding a robo bay later). To clarify, I always have at least 4+ warpgates, but then again, I do love the warpgate units.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Jutranjo wrote: »

Well when I get an iPhone I'll be sure to pick it up.

EDIT: @Spawnbroker: Is the number of account hijackings for WoW really that much bigger than it is for something like Steam? Or is it just more sophisticated or what?

subedii on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

EDIT: @Spawnbroker: Is the number of account hijackings for WoW really that much bigger than it is for something like Steam? Or is it just more sophisticated or what?

I've got a 3G here you can have for $50 + shipping.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i don't believe it.
    who would have thought.

the queen is one of the best AA units in the game between all of the races

Two queens will ruin that smug Protoss' day when he sends his first rushed void ray in.

On another note, I am horrible at responding to scouted strategies. Yesterday I got two or three gate zealot rushed on blistering sands, scouted it, and took way too long to cancel my fast expansion and get crawlers up. This was right after a game I got proxy cannon rushed on scrap station because I didn't have an overlord in that giant gaping corner of the base.

My hatred of Protoss cheese knows no bounds.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yes, the number of hijackings really is that much larger for battle.net accounts than Steam because of WoW. There are people who have entire businesses in China that run off of hacking people's accounts and then selling all of their equipment and gold for money.

When you have an exchange rate for WoW gold into real life money from gold farming businesses from a game with 10 million+ subscribers, this is what happens.

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I'm a protoss player primarily, and has anyone really used gateways much in game? They seem too limited for any sort of useful purpose.

what

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »

what

I...think what he's asking is if there is any reason not to upgrade a gateway to a warp gate.

...since I don't play Protoss, I don't really know. I can tell you how much Ryougi wrecks my shit when she gets a proxy pylon going with 3-4 warp gates, though.
    Every match.

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Drakeon wrote: »

Sounds like you'd be spreading yourself pretty thing with 3 warpgates, 2 stargates and a robo bay if all you had was 2 bases. Seems unnecessary, I usually stick with a stargate or a robo bay or a ton of warpgates (occasionally adding a robo bay later). To clarify, I always have at least 4+ warpgates, but then again, I do love the warpgate units.

the robo bay is last aded for me, and i do add more gates, economy/situation allowing... the units coming out of there are the most flexible, and cheap.

Although, I wish the old dragoons were around. I'm not as impressed with the Immortals.

Joe K on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

the robo bay is last aded for me, and i do add more gates, economy/situation allowing... the units coming out of there are the most flexible, and cheap.

Although, I wish the old dragoons were around. I'm not as impressed with the Immortals.

Any unit that can walk up to sieged tanks and kill them is a good unit.
    This includes Thors, Immortals, and Ultralisks. And that's pretty much it.

Rend on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, I cannot overemphasize how important scouting is.

I think I may start doing a few more scans and a few less mules, because lucky scouting has saved my ass quite a few times.

There's just a moment where you're like oh fuck two stargates pumping and it saves your life.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Rend wrote: »

Don't forget Dark Templars. They'd have half of your sieged tanks down before you hit scan.

Joe K on
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yeah I completely agree. The Immortal has a special place in my heart for being able to counter siege tanks/Thors. Without them, in my craziest game ive played since release, i wouldve lost.
    Winky wrote: »
    Man, I cannot overemphasize how important scouting is.

I think I may start doing a few more scans and a few less mules, because lucky scouting has saved my ass quite a few times.

There's just a moment where you're like oh fuck two stargates pumping and it saves your life.

Yup. It took me losing many times to a player that snuck expos around the map for me to realise how active i have to be scout wise. If i dont have any air units to spare, ill send a probe out every few minutes to run to each expo and see whats up.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Don't forget Dark Templars. They'd have half of your sieged tanks down before you hit scan.

Only if there's no turrets or ravens around. Then yes, those too.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Who walks up to seige tanks when all the cool kids can tunnel.

815165 on
This discussion has been closed.