As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Spider-Man 3 Discussion Thread

• The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wouldn't mind seeing a city under siege scenario in the spirit of Maximum Carnage, with Spider-Man teaming up with Sandman and perhaps a third supporting hero (I'd hope for the Human Torch, but whatever) against an improved villain and a group of smaller rogues who couldn't sustain their own films.

Maybe tie it in with the Avengers flick?

I still say they should have the Iron Man, Spider-man, and Captain America movies converge at a similar point: Creation of the Avengers.

Sure, there are gonna be people bitching that Sandman and Spider-man were never on the Avengers at the same time, nor were they founding members, but make it like a New Avengers origin.

Dr. Doom/Magneto/Big Time Villain has the city under their control. Vulture, Gargoyle Man, etc. terrorizing the people while Spider-man does his best, and eventually Sandman, Cap, and Iron Man join in the fun. End of the film, Iron Man or Cap brings up "This isn't an isolated incident. This can and WILL happen again."
    Maybe Cap brings up the "Defenders"(a fan nod, of course), and Iron Man says it's "Too pacifistic. Like we're waiting for people to need us, rather than making things right as they happen, or even AFTER they happen."
    So the name Avengers is used.

The Muffin Man on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think it was a good movie but I was a little disappointed. Spider-Man definitely needs to crack some jokes. I honestly feel that the problem there is that Tobey Maguire can't deliver. I really dislike him as Peter Parker.
    Venom should have referred to himself as "we" instead of "I". Pretty minor but it still bugged me. I also didn't like his look, something about it just seemed off to me.
    Sandman was fucking excellent though.
    Also, I thought the team-up at the end was superb. Easily my favorite part of the movie.
    All in all I enjoyed it. Could've used a better Venom though.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The name Avengers has never, ever made sense to me, and I know that any scene that attempts to rationalize it to me will bring me pain.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2007
    I was 100% on board for the team-up at the end. It's something you don't see enough of in superhero movies, I don't think, two superpowered good guys beating the hell out of bad guys while trading quips.

DJ Eebs on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This was a movie?

That I watched?

Those are all my thoughts.

Bloods End on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think they need to stop with putting Spidey infront of an American flag. People just laughed when they saw this, and I am sure that is not what the scene was meant for.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Watching this tomorrow. Man, it took a lot of willpower not to look at your numerous spoilers.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    Regarding Venom/Brock:
    You can see his bones, apparently.
    I saw them myself. The symbiote might have survived, but there is no way in hell (barring a rather convenient explanation) that Eddie Brock is still alive. Too bad, because Topher Grace did an awesome job.

Also, Sandman:
    One of my favorite scenes in the film is him struggling to walk to the locket and pick it up. That scene, to me, defines the Sandman's character through the whole movie.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really, really did enjoy Topher as Brock

The Venom character itself disappointed me a little bit

It just didn't feel like venom

I am so accustomed to HONK HONK venom that this one was much too scrawny for me

also they didn't show Venom's face much.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Can anyone tell me
    the name of the song that was playing as Peter was walking down the street doing his whole Saturday Night Fever thing? When I imagine that scene now, all I hear in my head is Stayin' Alive. The actual song sounded like James Brown but I really don't know.

Grey Ghost on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really, really did enjoy Topher as Brock

The Venom character itself disappointed me a little bit

It just didn't feel like venom

I am so accustomed to HONK HONK venom that this one was much too scrawny for me

also they didn't show Venom's face much.

i'm used to seeing the poster i've had since i was 8 of the beefy, 500-pounds of muscle standing on a pile of dead bodies venom, but they did an ok job with him i think. I was expecting his 'suit' to look like a leather bondage suit.

Also i'm a sucker for any movie with a hero/villain team up.

RubberAC on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    just saw it. wow that was too fucking long.

They should of cut out Sandman completely, made this only a Green Goblin II movie, and ended it with the meteor crashing next to Parker, and the symbiote latching onto his bike, setting the stage for Spidey 4.

That would of been suuuuuuuuch a beter movie. Also it needed more Wilem Dafoe

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • TofenheimerTofenheimer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Saw the movie and enjoyed, sure there is some nitpicking to be done but I don't think it mattered much in the end.

As it is Sandman, Venom and New Goblin all tied into the central theme of revenge, representing different aspects of it. Cutting any of them out would have weakened the whole considerably.

Tofenheimer on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    About the Venom/Brock thing:
    I can easily see them saying that the symbiote "absorbed" Brock's consciousness or some shit because "We didn't need the body anymore." or something along the lines of that. They can and will fucking not create and kill Venom off so damn quick. I refuse to believe it. Raimi will just throw a new spin on the story, kinda of like he did with Sandman.

I hope at least.

Edit: Then again....
    I can see them using Scorpion as a low-key bad guy in the next or one of the future sequels, having him be humiliated and trounced by Spidey the entire movie and (This would be my little hope at least) have him get arrested or slink off to some hole halfway through the movie and not be in it the rest of the time. Wait till the end of the credits. Have Scorpion stumble upon the symbiote in the church or have it ooze its way into his cell window. End movie. Have Scorpion/Venom be the main bad guy for the next movie.

Venom will not be written off so easily, damnit.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Okay, just got back from the IMAX showing with my girl and some buddies, so here're my thoughts. And keep in mind, I am a diehard Spidey fan to the core. Comics, movies, games -you name it. Ever since I was a kid, Spider-Man's been my hero.
    One of the first moments I had where I was actually taken out of the movie for a second to reflect on what I'd seen thus far was where I said to myself how impressed I was with the pacing. I'm of the opinion that these movies keep getting better with each installment. It's like watching the actors get better and Raimi becoming a better director gradually throughout all three films. Everything just seemed to flow very well to me. Each scene led into the next perfectly. The only transition I wasn't too happy with was when Peter threw the pumpkin bomb back at Harry. I think the change of scene there was a little too abrupt. Peter should've had a second or two to reflect on what he just did, or if nothing else, a fade out with ominous music and a pause in the action.

While on the note of Harry and Peter, I LOVED the dialogue between them in their fight in Harry's mansion. The hate they both showed for each other in those words was incredible. Everything either of them had ever wanted to say to each other but bit their tongues came out full-force, and I was right in there with them, relishing in every moment of it.

I never really dug Harry as a character until this movie, comic or otherwise. This film showed a depth to him that I hadn't seen properly expressed before. James Franco's in-between acting jobs must've been helping out, because he seemed kind of ho-hum to me in the previous movies, but his performance really stood out to me here. And I can't get over how goddamn LIKEABLE he was after the whole amnesia-thing. And while I'm on that subject, I thought they handled that plotpoint excellently. When I read the spoiler saying he hits his head and loses his memory, I rolled my eyes and hoped it wouldn't come off so cliche in the actual film. My hopes were right. And wouldn't ya' know it? Just when I start to love the guy, he up and dies. I shed a tear at his death, I'll admit it. Very poignantly done. Bravo Franco.

I too loved the fun/dance/omelete/kiss-scene with Harry and MJ. Very believable, considering their prior "romance" and friendship. Good show of character there.

I can't understand everyone's beef with Mary Jane. Sure, there probably could've been someone better to play MJ, and Dunst has said some fucking blasphemous things to the Spidey name in print, but when she's in the moment and in the character and grabbing your attention...she IS Mary Jane. At least in my opinion. I never liked the fiesty, "Tiger, you just hit the jackpot" wiseass model MJ from the 90s cartoon and most of the comics. I like the more downplayed, emotional, human MJ. In my opinion, the hook of her character has always been to epitomize that perfect girl that everyone wishes they had. They pulled that off excellently in the first film, gave it a tremendous payoff in the second, and further developed her in this one.

As stated before, Sadman's initial rise was beautiful. In itself, that felt like its own short film to me. It was so poetic, so quietly tragic...it was moving. It said more to me about his character than the scene with his wfie and daughter did. Which, while I'm there, I think Sadman's character development was done very well. He was a much more sympathetic "villain" than Doc Ock tried to be (I get the whole genius-who's-lost-his-way shtick, but it didn't make me feel for him all that much, not to say he wasn't likeable). That said, I could've used another scene with him and his daughter, or him talking about what precisely her illness was. Also, I rather appreciated his forgiveness at the end. Fitting of the character they had created up to that point. Damnit, he deserved to be forgiven. And the ambiguosness to his exit definitely makes me see him having the propencity to come back in a future film to aid Spidey in some way.

About Dark Spidey...not much to be said that hasn't been already. The gradual transformation was done well, the pelvic thrusting, strutting, emo cut -all of it was cheesy as fuck, and it's one of the reasons I love Raimi and his sense of humor. And while on that subject, J. Jonah Jameson was the best he's ever been in this movie. The whole scene in his office with the buzzer and Betty telling him to take his pills was absolute genius. Ted Raimi's always great for a laugh too. He never fails to make me smile.

Stan, Stan, Stan...love the man. Stan Lee's a legend, and his brief, yet poignant words were exquisite.

Bruce Campbell...always a fan. Loved the French act. But I thought his cameo could've had a better payoff. On the whole, hilarious though.

I love Aunt May to death. Rosemary Harris has done her more justice than any actress could do. She's jsut such a sweet old lady. And she really knows how to nail every scene she's in. Kudos.

Personally, I thought New Goblin was awesome. Sure, they basically made him a snowboarder, but the moves he did with the glider were kickass. That first fight between him and Peter made my jaw drop.

And on the Willem painting...I lol'd. Well done. Can't wait for the featurette explaining it on the DVD.

On the subject of Willem...would've preferred another final confrontation in the mirror between him and Harry to the whole butler scene. I didn't think that was QUITE as bas as everyone else did, but I did take issue with the idea that Bernard is apparently a forensics expert and able to tell what kind of metal or what shape of blade made what kind of wound. Whatever, though. It got things moving at least.

The cocky-prick Eddie was gold. Loved it. Great idea going to Ultimate Spidey for the inspiration of his character. Always preferred that to muscle-bound Brock.

The team-up with Harry and Peter made me want to cheer. Loved every second of it. The quips were hilarious and appropriate.

Gwen did what she had to do. No more, no less. Agree with the hotter-as-blonde comments. I've never identified much with her as a character, and I basically just see her and her father as marked for death in a future movie. On that note, superb casting with James Cromwell as Captain Stacy. Too bad he didn't have much screen time.

Yes, I am of the definite opinion that Venom needed more screen time. But what they had of him made all my fanboy dreams come true. Origin -excellent. Deal with Sandman -awesome, and freaky as all Hell seeing that face for the first time. The whole climax, superb. Very menacing, very terrifying, very evil. Very Venom. I think that line of "we are Venom" would've been too much. Also thought the discovery of his weakness was properly downplayed. Loved the cage of pipes too. And on the subject on the symbiote meteorite...c'mon guys. Ever heard of suspension of belief? It's a movie, not a portrait of realism. The non-explanation of what it was gave it a good bit of mystique that I liked.

On the whole "death" thing...Brock might be dead, but the symbiote ain't. And I seem to remember the symbiote having the ability to keep a sort of memory or imprint of those who've used it before, hence why it gave Eddie Spidey's powers. Though it would take a heavy amount of careful explanation, I could see Brock coming back in another movie as a clone or "copy" made from the symbiote's memory.

Some of these people here have really good eyes. Never would've noticed the different pumpkin bombs used on Venom and on Harry. Nice one. Also, god job to whoever noticed that Connors still has the symbiote. Carnage anyone? :lol:

Loved the movie, love the characters. Raimi, the cast, and Spidey himself have done it again.

P.S. Excellent work by Christopher Young. Danny Elfman's done his job, so long, goodbye. Chris' a hell of a composer.

P.P.S. The dramatic of effect when Peter hits MJ was shocking. I felt along with him that the suit needed to be gone. That scene fucking rattled me.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
    --John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Guys, here's the thing, Venom is an awful, stupid character in the comics. He's about as lame as Cable. And a scrawny, nerdy Eddie Brock is about a thousand times better and more effective thematically as an Anti Peter Parker than 500-pound muscle-bound stupid stupid.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Additionally: They can easily do a sequel since
    Conners still has a little bit of the symbiote.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Seriously... Topher Grace was awesome as Eddie Brock.

I can understand different points of view, but man, I loved this movie. I thought they did a great job.

I mean, the fact that I can't stand the two main actors (Toby and Kirsten) and yet I still loved this movie has to say something...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited May 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    About the Venom/Brock thing:
    I can easily see them saying that the symbiote "absorbed" Brock's consciousness or some shit because "We didn't need the body anymore." or something along the lines of that. They can and will fucking not create and kill Venom off so damn quick. I refuse to believe it. Raimi will just throw a new spin on the story, kinda of like he did with Sandman.

I hope at least.

Edit: Then again....
    I can see them using Scorpion as a low-key bad guy in the next or one of the future sequels, having him be humiliated and trounced by Spidey the entire movie and (This would be my little hope at least) have him get arrested or slink off to some hole halfway through the movie and not be in it the rest of the time. Wait till the end of the credits. Have Scorpion stumble upon the symbiote in the church or have it ooze its way into his cell window. End movie. Have Scorpion/Venom be the main bad guy for the next movie.

Venom will not be written off so easily, damnit.

They still have a shitload of villains left. Mysterio would make an awesome movie. I'd also like to see Rhino, maybe Spidey's fight with the Juggernaut.
    I share your thoughts about how maybe Brock got bonded to the symbiote, and is still alive. Honestly, there's no doubt in my mind that he is still alive. It's just a matter of how.

And Dr. Connors being there just sets the stage for The Lizard.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Zephonate wrote: »
    Okay, just got back from the IMAX showing with my girl and some buddies, so here're my thoughts. And keep in mind, I am a diehard Spidey fan to the core. Comics, movies, games -you name it. Ever since I was a kid, Spider-Man's been my hero.
    One of the first moments I had where I was actually taken out of the movie for a second to reflect on what I'd seen thus far was where I said to myself how impressed I was with the pacing. I'm of the opinion that these movies keep getting better with each installment. It's like watching the actors get better and Raimi becoming a better director gradually throughout all three films. Everything just seemed to flow very well to me. Each scene led into the next perfectly. The only transition I wasn't too happy with was when Peter threw the pumpkin bomb back at Harry. I think the change of scene there was a little too abrupt. Peter should've had a second or two to reflect on what he just did, or if nothing else, a fade out with ominous music and a pause in the action.

While on the note of Harry and Peter, I LOVED the dialogue between them in their fight in Harry's mansion. The hate they both showed for each other in those words was incredible. Everything either of them had ever wanted to say to each other but bit their tongues came out full-force, and I was right in there with them, relishing in every moment of it.

I never really dug Harry as a character until this movie, comic or otherwise. This film showed a depth to him that I hadn't seen properly expressed before. James Franco's in-between acting jobs must've been helping out, because he seemed kind of ho-hum to me in the previous movies, but his performance really stood out to me here. And I can't get over how goddamn LIKEABLE he was after the whole amnesia-thing. And while I'm on that subject, I thought they handled that plotpoint excellently. When I read the spoiler saying he hits his head and loses his memory, I rolled my eyes and hoped it wouldn't come off so cliche in the actual film. My hopes were right. And wouldn't ya' know it? Just when I start to love the guy, he up and dies. I shed a tear at his death, I'll admit it. Very poignantly done. Bravo Franco.

I too loved the fun/dance/omelete/kiss-scene with Harry and MJ. Very believable, considering their prior "romance" and friendship. Good show of character there.

I can't understand everyone's beef with Mary Jane. Sure, there probably could've been someone better to play MJ, and Dunst has said some fucking blasphemous things to the Spidey name in print, but when she's in the moment and in the character and grabbing your attention...she IS Mary Jane. At least in my opinion. I never liked the fiesty, "Tiger, you just hit the jackpot" wiseass model MJ from the 90s cartoon and most of the comics. I like the more downplayed, emotional, human MJ. In my opinion, the hook of her character has always been to epitomize that perfect girl that everyone wishes they had. They pulled that off excellently in the first film, gave it a tremendous payoff in the second, and further developed her in this one.

As stated before, Sadman's initial rise was beautiful. In itself, that felt like its own short film to me. It was so poetic, so quietly tragic...it was moving. It said more to me about his character than the scene with his wfie and daughter did. Which, while I'm there, I think Sadman's character development was done very well. He was a much more sympathetic "villain" than Doc Ock tried to be (I get the whole genius-who's-lost-his-way shtick, but it didn't make me feel for him all that much, not to say he wasn't likeable). That said, I could've used another scene with him and his daughter, or him talking about what precisely her illness was. Also, I rather appreciated his forgiveness at the end. Fitting of the character they had created up to that point. Damnit, he deserved to be forgiven. And the ambiguosness to his exit definitely makes me see him having the propencity to come back in a future film to aid Spidey in some way.

About Dark Spidey...not much to be said that hasn't been already. The gradual transformation was done well, the pelvic thrusting, strutting, emo cut -all of it was cheesy as fuck, and it's one of the reasons I love Raimi and his sense of humor. And while on that subject, J. Jonah Jameson was the best he's ever been in this movie. The whole scene in his office with the buzzer and Betty telling him to take his pills was absolute genius. Ted Raimi's always great for a laugh too. He never fails to make me smile.

Stan, Stan, Stan...love the man. Stan Lee's a legend, and his brief, yet poignant words were exquisite.

Bruce Campbell...always a fan. Loved the French act. But I thought his cameo could've had a better payoff. On the whole, hilarious though.

I love Aunt May to death. Rosemary Harris has done her more justice than any actress could do. She's jsut such a sweet old lady. And she really knows how to nail every scene she's in. Kudos.

Personally, I thought New Goblin was awesome. Sure, they basically made him a snowboarder, but the moves he did with the glider were kickass. That first fight between him and Peter made my jaw drop.

And on the Willem painting...I lol'd. Well done. Can't wait for the featurette explaining it on the DVD.

On the subject of Willem...would've preferred another final confrontation in the mirror between him and Harry to the whole butler scene. I didn't think that was QUITE as bas as everyone else did, but I did take issue with the idea that Bernard is apparently a forensics expert and able to tell what kind of metal or what shape of blade made what kind of wound. Whatever, though. It got things moving at least.

The cocky-prick Eddie was gold. Loved it. Great idea going to Ultimate Spidey for the inspiration of his character. Always preferred that to muscle-bound Brock.

The team-up with Harry and Peter made me want to cheer. Loved every second of it. The quips were hilarious and appropriate.

Gwen did what she had to do. No more, no less. Agree with the hotter-as-blonde comments. I've never identified much with her as a character, and I basically just see her and her father as marked for death in a future movie. On that note, superb casting with James Cromwell as Captain Stacy. Too bad he didn't have much screen time.

Yes, I am of the definite opinion that Venom needed more screen time. But what they had of him made all my fanboy dreams come true. Origin -excellent. Deal with Sandman -awesome, and freaky as all Hell seeing that face for the first time. The whole climax, superb. Very menacing, very terrifying, very evil. Very Venom. I think that line of "we are Venom" would've been too much. Also thought the discovery of his weakness was properly downplayed. Loved the cage of pipes too. And on the subject on the symbiote meteorite...c'mon guys. Ever heard of suspension of belief? It's a movie, not a portrait of realism. The non-explanation of what it was gave it a good bit of mystique that I liked.

On the whole "death" thing...Brock might be dead, but the symbiote ain't. And I seem to remember the symbiote having the ability to keep a sort of memory or imprint of those who've used it before, hence why it gave Eddie Spidey's powers. Though it would take a heavy amount of careful explanation, I could see Brock coming back in another movie as a clone or "copy" made from the symbiote's memory.

Some of these people here have really good eyes. Never would've noticed the different pumpkin bombs used on Venom and on Harry. Nice one. Also, god job to whoever noticed that Connors still has the symbiote. Carnage anyone? :lol:

Loved the movie, love the characters. Raimi, the cast, and Spidey himself have done it again.

P.S. Excellent work by Christopher Young. Danny Elfman's done his job, so long, goodbye. Chris' a hell of a composer.

P.P.S. The dramatic of effect when Peter hits MJ was shocking. I felt along with him that the suit needed to be gone. That scene fucking rattled me.

<3

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Uh, guys, I just realized something.
    That out of control crane? It's still fucking out of control.

Mr Pink on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The worst part of the movie for me was the teenage girl who was apparently not capable of the responsibility to shut up for two hours while watching a movie in a public theater. She kept yelling at the screen thinking everyone wanted to hear her Mystery Science Theater comments.
    The best part was when she yelled at the end of the first fade to black "This is the worst Spider-Man ever!" and she was met with a resounding "Shut the fuck up" from about thirty people.

Honestly, what is wrong with some people?

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    They addressed that in the novelization. Apparently, after Peter saves Gwen, he turns his attention to the crane, but then the power is cut to the city block.

One Thousand Cables on
    edited May 2007
    A teenage girl? Really?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    They addressed that in the novelization. Apparently, after Peter saves Gwen, he turns his attention to the crane, but then the power is cut to the city block.

plus, you hear Captain Stacey order the power to be cut in the city block so I didn't think it was functioning anymore

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The novelisation?

What?

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    The novelisation?

What?

Apparently, it has a bunch of stuff that was either left out or cut from the movie. Or it just added a bunch of shit, I don't know.

One Thousand Cables on
  • ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So apparently, according to the "reliable source" that blew the initial scoop that Sandman and Venom were gonna be in this one, Marvel's looking to put Carnage and the Lizard in the next one.

Personally, Carnage has always been my favorite villain. Venom's a very close second, but I just love the fact that Carnage is an outright batshit-crazy serial killer. Plus, the whole blood-symbiote thing is awesome. I heard a while back that Jake Gyllenhal was supposed to have a cameo in Spider-Man 2 as Cletus Kassady, but of course that was proven false. I'm excited to see what they'll do with Carnage, but hopefully they'll use the remaining symbiote sample, and not the butchered plot device they used for him in Ultimate (though I did like the association with him starting as a fetus imagery. Very creepy, and hope that makes the jump to film).

The Lizard's always been a so-so villain to me, but he's a fan favorite, and people have been waiting for him (since he's been set up for three goddamn movies already), so I'm sure Raimi can do what he did with Sandman and Ock and breathe some good depth into this character (depth was something Venom and the Green Goblin already had). But they'll have to think of something really fucking plausible in order to turn him into the Lizard. Nothing to do with the symbiote. No genetic recombinator (better explanation than in the comics, but c'mon guys. The 90s cartoon wasn't always very intelligently written).

They should definitely bring in Connors' alcoholism from Ultimate. Good plot point potential there. Also gotta bring in his family for possible collateral damage.

Side-note: I've been hearing a lot of people rip on the Goblin costume(s). Okay, the New Goblin DID look a little Power Ranger-like, but it gave him a sort of charm. It looks more like something he just threw together, rather than something he spent months preparing for, or perhaps a very old prototype of the actual Goblin armor. And I know the "old" Goblin armor did look at little Halloween, but c'mon guys...they couldn't exactly give him purple tights and a Link hat. A very prime example of something that looks excellent in a comic, doesn't translate well to film. If that was done, everyone would think the Goblin was completely gay, rather than just a total joke.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
    --John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
    edited May 2007
    YES THANK YOU

I was waiting for The Lizard

and it makes sense that both him and Carnage are in it, seeing as how Connors is the one that still has a piece of the Symbiote

Haha oh man, Gyllenhall as Carnage?

That would make two of the most badass villains in Spider-Man Eric Forman and Bubble Boy.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Guys, I have not had the time to see this yet, but I must know something.

Is there some kind of Spider-man rally in a park? If so, was there a young boy on a park bench brandishing a giant foam hand, with the fingers in the rock on horns?

The only college professor-I-still-talk-to (about comics usually)'s son was that boy. However, Dr Scott did not know if son was going to be cut or not.

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2007
    yes

Spider-Man was given the key to the city
    for saving Gwen Stacy's life. That is not supposed to happen. She should be dead. That is how it works. Gwen Stacy dies.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    was there a kid on a park punch with a giant foam rock on hand?

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2007
    yes

for saving Gwen Stacy's life. That is not supposed to happen. She should be dead. That is how it works. Gwen Stacy dies.

and yet, the entire movie I was praying for MJ's death... go fig.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited May 2007

Probably... but honestly, unless you're looking for it, who's going to pick that out? That scene had a ton of people in it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited May 2007
    yes

It would have been weird if they offed her that quickly, dammit. They'll probably do her in in a sequel or so down the line.

One Thousand Cables on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

i...think...so...?

Guek on
  • Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm not much of a comic afficianado, but I do have a great deal of love for these movies.

That having been said, has Venom ever really had an "evil scheme?" I mean, aside from fuck with Spider-Man and occasionally go vigilante, what has he ever done?

Original Rufus on
    edited May 2007
    That having been said, has Venom ever really had an "evil scheme?" I mean, aside from fuck with Spider-Man and occasionally go vigilante, what has he ever done?
    Once he kidnapped Spider-Man's parents to protect them from Spider-Man, but I think that's it.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm not much of a comic afficianado, but I do have a great deal of love for these movies.

He assembled the sinister 6 once, then killed the other 5 so he could kill spidey himself.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Oberon311Oberon311 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Did he really have an evil scheme in this movie besides fuck with Spider-Man?
    Is it possible to develop a full-fledged scheme with ten minutes of screen time?

Oberon311 on
    Cap's dead. I'm with Ares.