As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

african and african american comics

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Graphic Violence
So I've read Incognegro and the revamp of The Unknown Soldier that's in Uganda with.the child soldiers.

So I'm looking for something that touches with either ethnic group that has come out. I'm talking something intelligent, well written, and decent artwork.

RoyceSraphim on

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Incognegro, and there's a very recent anthology called "Black Comix" that came out, though I haven't read it. Kyle Baker has a well liked book about Nat Turner called Nat Turner.

Lux on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Steel is a pretty sweet black hero. But its hard to find good comics with him. Most of his best stuff is just as a side character. Seems like anytime anyone writes him as the main character, it sucks.

Over on the Marvel side, my favorite black dude is the Falcon. The way Ed Brubaker has been writing him for the last few years in Captain America is fantastic.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Have you checked out any of Dwayne McDuffie's Milestone books? Ethnicity was his thing.

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Steel is a pretty sweet black hero. But its hard to find good comics with him. Most of his best stuff is just as a side character. Seems like anytime anyone writes him as the main character, it sucks.

I have heard Christopher Priest's run on Steel is pretty good, and I am casually tracking down issues when I work up the will to dig through the "S" long boxes at comic shops.

Lux on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aya of Yop City is really good, if you're looking for something a little more character driven. It's basically a straight-up slice of life/soap opera comic, set in West Africa's Ivory Coast.

Munch on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Over on the Marvel side, my favorite black dude is the Falcon. The way Ed Brubaker has been writing him for the last few years in Captain America is fantastic.

I thought Steel was pretty badass in 52.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lux wrote: »

I have heard Christopher Priest's run on Steel is pretty good, and I am casually tracking down issues when I work up the will to dig through the "S" long boxes at comic shops.

Priest run on the Black Panther was also great.

There's a few semi recent marvel miniseries you might want to look at. Can't vouch for them though-Captain America The Truth, which deals with Isaaih Bradley, the first true Super Soldier. The Blue Marvel was about a Superman like hero in Marvel's past that no one knew was black.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Olorin wrote: »

I thought Steel was pretty badass in 52.

Yes, he was. But he also wasn't the main character. He was part of an ensemble cast.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Steel is the best black character ever ever.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    No sorry that is Luke Cage: Power Man: Hero for Hire

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No sorry Steel created a hammer that somehow, the longer it is thrown, gains more and more mass and power. It defies physics.

Luke Cage is a dandy compared to Steel.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Luke Cage tells Man-Thing what to do

Man-Thing

He wins for that alone

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So does Jean Grey. Jean cock a doodie Grey. Man-Thing will do anything for attention.

Steel had a wrist gun that shot hot rivets at people. This was before Doom or Quake.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Luke Cage beat up Doctor Doom because he skipped out on a bill

He is the best

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Steel beat up Doomsday and Luthor. He even got to wear armor that ecnompasses entropy, and won out over physics.

John Henry is the best.

Luke Cage's only claim to fame is anal sex with Jessica Jones.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    AstroCity_Fam_Abm.jpg

The Jack-In-A-Box story would qualify as a quality story featuring an african-american character.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    John Henry is the best.

Luke Cage's only claim to fame is anal sex with Jessica Jones.
    So you agree that Luke Cage is better.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Anyone could have sex with Jessica Jones, just give her a cigarette.

I'm pretty sure this is her 50th kid.

John Henry likes the ladies with brains and bosoms.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Steel has a movie where he is played by Shaq. Luke Cage wins.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    no see that is a point for Steel

But Luke Cage is still better

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That doesn't even begin to make sense. Shaq didn't play Luke Cage. So Steel obviously has the upper hand.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Luke Cage beat up Doctor Doom because he skipped out on a bill

He is the best

"Where's my money, honey."

Solar on
  • Options
    Jason00Jason00 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Since so many people have mentioned Priest, I'm surprised no one mentioned the book he did for Valiant, Quantum and Woody. Quantum is African American, and the book is pretty damned great.

Jason00 on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Onion's AV Club recently gave Black Comix: African American Independent Comics Art And Culture a very positive review here.

Seems a bit expensive at $30 for 176 pages and you pretty much have to be a fan of indie work, but it comes in hardcover and covers a lot of creators' work.

Check out blackcomixbook.com to get an idea if that's what you're looking for.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    FeathersMcGrawFeathersMcGraw Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Jack-In-A-Box story would qualify as a quality story featuring an african-american character.

Not to mention the most recent Astro City storyline, The Dark Age, also deals with a pair of African-American brothers.

I haven't read it, but I've heard good things about Jim Rugg's blaxploitation book, Afrodisiac.

The short-lived Tony Isabella Black Lightning series in the mid 90's was also fantastic.

FeathersMcGraw on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Brotherman was a pretty great indie comic from the 90s, and it's conveniently now available in TPB and digital form. http://www.brothermancomics.com/ The trades are pretty expensive though, so you should probably try the free digital issues they have on the site before buying.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee