As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft 2] Multiplayer discussion. After 12 long years, it has arrived.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It would seem like gateways are easier to macro since you don't need to target places for units to warp in, just queue them up.

course I have an obsession with cracklings so gateway units are np

Jars on
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Who walks up to seige tanks when all the cool kids can tunnel.

i thought that tunneling was limited to being on creep?

speaking of which, i think that the massive difference in zerg units on creep vs. off creep is the game mechanic that broke zerg for me. i have to spooge creep everywhere to have effective units, and the zerg used to be the blitzkrieg race, where massing and rushing was an extremely viable strategy. Now you have to spooge spooge spooge, attack.

Joe K on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    It would seem like gateways are easier to macro since you don't need to target places for units to warp in, just queue them up.

Well you should try and queue units up as little as physically possible, so really that's kind of a crutch.

Rend on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I'm a protoss player primarily, and has anyone really used gateways much in game? They seem too limited for any sort of useful purpose.

what

I...think what he's asking is if there is any reason not to upgrade a gateway to a warp gate.

...since I don't play Protoss, I don't really know. I can tell you how much Ryougi wrecks my shit when she gets a proxy pylon going with 3-4 warp gates, though.
    Every match.

Sorry, yes, warp gates. It's been years since I've played StarCraft so the terminology is coming back slowly.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Every time I read the title of this thread the only thing I can think of is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0YkXmebAGM

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Joe K wrote: »
    815165 wrote: »
    Who walks up to seige tanks when all the cool kids can tunnel.

i thought that tunneling was limited to being on creep?

speaking of which, i think that the massive difference in zerg units on creep vs. off creep is the game mechanic that broke zerg for me. i have to spooge creep everywhere to have effective units, and the zerg used to be the blitzkrieg race, where massing and rushing was an extremely viable strategy. Now you have to spooge spooge spooge, attack.

@first question: no it's not

Rivulent on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So that lobby match last night where I lost to the MMM without building hydras, and having infinity mutas? Definitely did almost the same thing, but after about 8 mutas I tech switched to Hydras.

His MMM disintegrated. And he had cut some to get crazy vikings. Which would've been awesome if I kept pumping Mutas. Not so much with hydras/speedlings/banelings.

Of course, I did lose a lot of Hydras. But I was at 200/200 with 4 bases because he decided not to expand 'till he was mined out and never attacked while I was ready to force a contain so I could just keep pumping more.

Khavall on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rend wrote: »

Well you should try and queue units up as little as physically possible, so really that's kind of a crutch.

we had this conversation in mumble last night too. I don't mean queue up 5 zealots at one gameway, I mean it's easier to hit my hotkey for gateways and start making 5 zealots while still being able to see what is going on in another place in the map than it is to go back to your pylon and target in the warps. Queueing is useful when units are about to finish since it minimizes the downtime of your buildings.

Jars on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm a protoss player primarily, and has anyone really used gateways much in game? They seem too limited for any sort of useful purpose.

what

I...think what he's asking is if there is any reason not to upgrade a gateway to a warp gate.

...since I don't play Protoss, I don't really know. I can tell you how much Ryougi wrecks my shit when she gets a proxy pylon going with 3-4 warp gates, though.
    Every match.

Sorry, yes, warp gates. It's been years since I've played StarCraft so the terminology is coming back slowly.

For a rather minimal cost you can transport your warp gate units to any pylon on the battlefield. It is a huge feature of the protoss army and pretty key to reinforcing your units and keeping up the offensive.

I'm not in any kind of position skill-wise to say "you're doing it wrong" if you don't build warp gates. But I've never seen the top tier players not do it. What you do have to be careful of when you are warping in units is that they take a shitload of extra damage and are easily killed if you aren't careful about placement.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited August 2010

we had this conversation in mumble last night too. I don't mean queue up 5 zealots at one gameway, I mean it's easier to hit my hotkey for gateways and start making 5 zealots while still being able to see what is going on in another place in the map than it is to go back to your pylon and target in the warps. Queueing is useful when units are about to finish since it minimizes the downtime of your buildings.

That's true, but since warpgates reduce training times by 5(10?)s per unit, I would say that the advantage of easier macro is far outweighed by the superior but more difficult macro of the warp gate.

Rend on
    edited August 2010

what

Every match.

For a rather minimal cost you can transport your warp gate units to any pylon on the battlefield. It is a huge feature of the protoss army and pretty key to reinforcing your units and keeping up the offensive.

I'm not in any kind of position skill-wise to say "you're doing it wrong" if you don't build warp gates. But I've never seen the top tier players not do it. What you do have to be careful of when you are warping in units is that they take a shitload of extra damage and are easily killed if you aren't careful about placement.

So they can take damage while they warp in? So best to warp to the back/mid battlefield and move them in unless under fire from ranged attackers?

I'll have to give them a shot tonight and see if I can change up my mindset to work with the new idea. It's crazy how simple (and bad) falling into my old habits has been, which is killing me with all the differences and new units. I do like that I can use transports to easily make a warp spot though.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They can be easily killed while warping in.

Ideally the opponent should not see them being warped in.

edit: that reminds me, does chrono boosting cut down on the cooldown of warp gates?

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
    edited August 2010

what

Every match.

So they can take damage while they warp in? So best to warp to the back/mid battlefield and move them in unless under fire from ranged attackers?

I'll have to give them a shot tonight and see if I can change up my mindset to work with the new idea. It's crazy how simple (and bad) falling into my old habits has been, which is killing me with all the differences and new units. I do like that I can use transports to easily make a warp spot though.

there are a lot of downside to warping in units with warpgates. they warp in over 5 seconds, completely vulnerable, and then the warpgate has an additional cooldown of 10s to be able to produce another unit. useful in certain sittuations, but I would say that a mothership warp would be another way of quick movement.

Joe K on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ArcSyn, if you're interested, watch some Day9 vids. He is extremely good at explaining strategy, and he even has a "back to basics" that's been posted a bunch in this thread that will help you improve.

I am a pretty terrible player, but watching his stuff has improved my play immensely. I still make tons of mistakes, but I can see where I went wrong and try and correct that mistake.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited August 2010

what

Every match.

there are a lot of downside to warping in units with warpgates. they warp in over 5 seconds, completely vulnerable, and then the warpgate has an additional cooldown of 10s to be able to produce another unit. useful in certain sittuations, but I would say that a mothership warp would be another way of quick movement.

Actually, with the warpgate, your units are made instantly, but take 5s to warp in. And immediately after you select their location, your warpgate goes on cooldown for that unit's training time, minus 10s i believe. So basically you are training your units in 10 less seconds than with gateways.

Rend on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay guys, so just had a game against a really annoying Protoss player. He starts out with a 2 gate, and then I scout his base with a throwaway ling and notice Stargates. Okay, I switch to making queens. He still almost gets me, but I got to his base sooner.

How the hell do I deal with Void Rays besides just massing queens until I can get hydras out? Is there a better way?

repimg-33-135075.jpg

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    edited August 2010

what

Every match.

Actually, with the warpgate, your units are made instantly, but take 5s to warp in. And immediately after you select their location, your warpgate goes on cooldown for that unit's training time, minus 10s i believe. So basically you are training your units in 10 less seconds than with gateways.

you're right, i just looked.

so, the big downside is the complete vulnerability for 5s, but it actually speeds up production. That's pretty powerful if you can safely warp them in. Now that I understand it better, its seems so powerful, that I can see a nerf coming....

Joe K on
    edited August 2010
    you're right, i just looked.

so, the big downside is the complete vulnerability for 5s, but it actually speeds up production. That's pretty powerful if you can safely warp them in. Now that I understand it better, its seems so powerful, that I can see a nerf coming....

Not too likely. I can't remember a time when the functionality of warpgates changed in any way during the beta. It is powerful enough that you pretty much always want it, cheap enough that it's basically free, and annoying enough that you never want your opponent to have it, but the protoss really need it to be competitive.

Rend on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it has actually been nerfed in terms of how fast you can get it

in the early beta the research time for warpgates was much quicker

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's been like that for such a long time and it's such a staple of the SC2 protoss tactics that I don't see them changing it too much, yes it's powerful but it's not unbalanced powerful, the other races have other things to make up for it.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    proxy pylons will normally be protected by your current army, which will stand between your opponent's base and the pylon while you warp in more dudes.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
    edited August 2010
    Ok, I'll check out Day 9.

Thanks for the insight and warnings on warpgates guys.

While googling Chrono Boosting (which I didn't know what it was), I discovered this on Team Liquids site:
    It is important to note that Chrono Boost also has the effect of reducing the cooldown time on Warpgates it is cast on.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah it takes like what.. 160 seconds to research wargates? Thats a while.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
    edited August 2010
    it has actually been nerfed in terms of how fast you can get it

in the early beta the research time for warpgates was much quicker

The nerf I see is the removal of the 10s quicker production time, or even an increase to the production time.

And, the protoss don't NEED it to be competitive, there are other ways of moving forces quickly....

Joe K on
    edited August 2010
    Okay guys, so just had a game against a really annoying Protoss player. He starts out with a 2 gate, and then I scout his base with a throwaway ling and notice Stargates. Okay, I switch to making queens. He still almost gets me, but I got to his base sooner.

How the hell do I deal with Void Rays besides just massing queens until I can get hydras out? Is there a better way?

repimg-33-135075.jpg

Slightly snappier transfuses probable would've made that a little better(that first queen death was a little eh for me, as was losing the lair), and if I see void rays and have the money for it I'll often throw a pair of spore crawlers in my mineral lines. You did that on your main but I didn't see any at the natural.

But mostly yeah, queens with transfuses, spore crawlers, and hydras.

Khavall on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    why do you want warpgates removed? they don't give a massive advantage to the protoss

i mean, quicker reinforcements with a proxy pylon is a little hard to fight against, but each race has their own unique production quirks (reactors for terran, larva for zerg, warpgates for protoss, etc)

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just finished watching the King of the Beta
    Fuck yes, go Idra; I'm real happy to see him take it.

piL on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I played a 1on1 as toss aginst a fellow PAer with some observers and the first thing they told me after i lost was to use warp gates.

I did so.

And I feel twice as competent with toss. Honestly, expanding just happens naturally as an agressive move rather then economic. I build pylons at what i consider the front line, usually where I would build cannons at a new expansion,a nd then safely begin warping units there. My expansions just spring up naturally behind my front line because I do not feel like I have to baby sit them.

Also, is it 10 seconds less then your normal build time, or 10 seconds total? It doesnt seem to matter what I warp in, the cooldown seems to be the same. I could be wrong though. Either way, its like an instant version of setting waypoints for my units so I love it. Another thing is, it keeps my food high, since im building pylons to be able to warp units in.

Really, there is so much that happens with Toss naturally that you have to worry about with terran. Expanding and building supply depots is a chore that I have to remember in order not to screw myself with terran. With toss, it all just...happens.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ok, I'll check out Day 9.

Thanks for the insight and warnings on warpgates guys.

While googling Chrono Boosting (which I didn't know what it was), I discovered this on Team Liquids site:
    It is important to note that Chrono Boost also has the effect of reducing the cooldown time on Warpgates it is cast on.

Usually by the time you have warpgates Protoss players are chrono boosting their tech upgrades.

Buddies on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The best tactic in 3v3, 4v4, or ffa is to just mass marines.

Its boring, but the person that does that usually wins.

wakkawa on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Khavall wrote: »

repimg-33-135075.jpg

Slightly snappier transfuses probable would've made that a little better(that first queen death was a little eh for me, as was losing the lair), and if I see void rays and have the money for it I'll often throw a pair of spore crawlers in my mineral lines. You did that on your main but I didn't see any at the natural.

But mostly yeah, queens with transfuses, spore crawlers, and hydras.

Yeah I was having some targeting issues with that first queen fight, and when the lair went down I just didn't know that all those hydras were up...noob mistakes on my part, but I guess that's why I'm not platinum :P

I also watched Day9's analysis of going mass Queens in ZvZ, and I must say I'm intrigued. I will have to try that out sometime.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Jutranjo wrote: »

It's free for smart phones.

Well when I get an iPhone I'll be sure to pick it up.

EDIT: @Spawnbroker: Is the number of account hijackings for WoW really that much bigger than it is for something like Steam? Or is it just more sophisticated or what?

It's like a dollar plus whatever it costs for you download stuff on almost any phone, so like 3 bucks max. You don't need an iPhone.

Xeddicus on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

repimg-33-135075.jpg

A few things:
    Getting 10 drones before your OL gives you a slightly better economy than 9. (I have actually tested this a few times)
    15 hatch isn't that good, 14 hatch 13 pool is the ideal for super fast expand, but really steppes of war is too small to do it safely.
    Your main and natural were never saturated, you could have easily had double the production if you did.
    You could have spotted that starport a lot sooner by having lings run around his base (his ramp wasn't blocked for most the ame), or just by having OLs sitting around on the edges.
    You got a lot of roaches at the start but never really used them, with constant scouting you could have determined if your spines/lings were enough to handle his zealots and then just pump drones and tech to hydras.
    Put lings on those xel'naga watch towers.
    Just macro better in general, you had 675/635 when his second mass of voidrays hit.
    Also focus fire the voidrays, you want to take down as many as possible before they charge.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited August 2010
    TheStig wrote: »

repimg-33-135075.jpg

A few things:
    Getting 10 drones before your OL gives you a slightly better economy than 9. (I have actually tested this a few times)

This is untrue, 9OL is better

Khavall on
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    StokedUp wrote: »
    yeah it takes like what.. 160 seconds to research wargates? Thats a while.

He was talking about using your chronoboosts on the warpgates themselves. It does work and it does lower their cooldown.

Shens on
    edited August 2010

repimg-33-135075.jpg

A few things:

Nope.

TheStig on
    edited August 2010

repimg-33-135075.jpg

A few things:

Nope.

Yup

Khavall on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    815165 on
  • SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    god damn why do I even ever go roach/hydra

my ling/muta play is just so much sexier

SuMa.Lustre on
    edited August 2010
    Humm strange. I guess my test was sloppy.
    Nice to know.

TheStig on
This discussion has been closed.