As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Warlocks: We wear cloth.

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do warlocks still have to train their demons?

I can't seem to be able to find a trainer for them.

Foolish Chaos on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They gain their skills automatically when they (aka you) level, so no, you do not have to train your demon.

I think that was introduced with WotLK.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also, I am level 70 and switched to a destro build to try it out. It is far less mana intensive than I remember. Though unlike with demonology, I can't really take on more than 2-3 mobs.

Would a voidwalker with the improved void talents be enough to pull aggro away from me? I specced imp in this build, and a free crit every minute or so is nice, but not if I am just going to die all the time.

This is just for leveling, primarily.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited July 2010
    I'm a little surprised you're having issues. However, VW probably won't help much in the area of threat, but the shield he provides you doesn't kill him anymore, so it's much less of a problem to use it.

End on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I didn't bother taking on multiple mobs when I first switched to Destro at 70. I liked nuking the fuck out of a target and moving to the next.

Of course the first leveling build I tried was Demo to Felguard then Destro, which was interesting too. I ended up switching to deep Destro for a while after that though.

Dranyth on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Destro is pretty ill-equipped to fight multiple things at once. You get cast pushback, and you can't drop immolate-conflag one after another. You're much better at taking single mobs down quickly, though.

I wouldn't even bother with the voidwalker; just roll around with the imp. He does a pretty respectable amount of damage, and the empowered imp buff is decent when you're killing stuff one after another.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    # Soulburn: Seed of Corruption (Tier 5) *New* - Grants the Soulburn empowerment to your Seed of Corruption spell.
    Your Seed of Corruption detonation effect will afflict Corruption on all enemy targets. The Soul Shard will be refunded if the detonation is successful.

god

DAMN

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    edited July 2010
    That's...the first thing they've done with soulburn that I actually find really neat and interesting.

End on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Awesome. That was what seed originally did, back when it was going to be a high-end aff talent in the wrath beta trees.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited July 2010
    no that was a different spell, later replaced by Cripple, later replaced by Haunt

seed was introduced in TBC

liEt3nH.png
    edited July 2010
    oh, I guess I'm misremembering. What was that ability called?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    atrocity I think

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh wait what? free soulfires off of your imp's criticals? Hell yes.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    edited July 2010
    Well, the layout of affliction feels a lot less constrained now!

But I still think it needs work. In particular, not a fan of how many points get spent outside of the tree. Unless felguard really gets shadow bite now ;-)

End on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    # Soulburn: Seed of Corruption (Tier 5) *New* - Grants the Soulburn empowerment to your Seed of Corruption spell.
    Your Seed of Corruption detonation effect will afflict Corruption on all enemy targets. The Soul Shard will be refunded if the detonation is successful.

god

DAMN
    So is something changing about the SoC detonation mechanics? Because there's like a 99% guarantee it's going to go off, which pretty much means this will never cost you a shard as long as you have at least one up to cast it.

forty on
    edited July 2010
    The more I think about it, I'm fairly certain they actually mean the shard is refunded on an unsuccessful detonation. Which is slightly less awesome. But dear god if they don't.

liEt3nH.png
    edited July 2010
    You'd only care about using it once every 18 seconds anyway (or new wave of adds), so it's not a huge deal either way.

Although, on the subject of shards, it looks like Drain Soul just maybe will still be a way to get shards back in combat? According to the tooltip, they haven't removed the gain shard on death component (just the shard on proc) like I expected, and they've even upped it to getting 3 shards back. The caveat, obviously, is that it only happens when something dies.

End on
    edited July 2010
    End wrote: »
    You'd only care about using it once every 18 seconds anyway (or new wave of adds), so it's not a huge deal either way.
    Well, soul burn has a 30 second cooldown anyway (at least I think it still does). But in general it's soul burn->use a shard->eventually be concerned with getting your shards back one way or another. As written, the soul burned SoC will basically never have a net shard cost. Which, hey, I wouldn't complain about, but it just doesn't seem consistent with the theme. I think needed makes a good point though.
    End wrote:
    Although, on the subject of shards, it looks like Drain Soul just maybe will still be a way to get shards back in combat? According to the tooltip, they haven't removed the gain shard on death component (just the shard on proc) like I expected, and they've even upped it to getting 3 shards back. The caveat, obviously, is that it only happens when something dies.
    Correct. I believe the intent for now is for you to be able to max out your soul shards again by DSing, say, the last trash mob in a pack. Then soulvocate is there in between fights in case you forgot, messed up, were too lazy, or just didn't care to DS on trash.

forty on
    edited July 2010
    Okay, that's good then. Everything Ghostcrawler has said that I've seen was that you could not gain shards in combat, flat out.

End on
  • wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

god

DAMN

Haha I had this same idea about a year ago and my friends laughed me out of the room. :evil:

wusoldjr on
    edited July 2010
    It's interesting that there is a talent to unlock a new soul burn for a baseline ability.

forty on
    edited July 2010
    I can definitely see the rational behind making it talented, since seed is supposed to be "affliction's AoE".

Actually, overall, I like how they're making each tree having its own pet AoE.

End on
    edited July 2010
    Oh, the rationale is totally obvious. I just think the chain of events from placing that talent point is amusing. Place talent point. SoC doesn't change. Soul Burn itself doesn't change. No new ability learned. But now when you use Soul Burn, if you use SoC as your next spell, it works differently and uses your soul burn buff.

forty on
  • ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Warlock, convince me to play you when Cataclysm drops.

Toldo on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Toldo wrote: »
    Warlock, convince me to play you when Cataclysm drops.

Why do you need to be convinced? There a lot of awesome happening with Warlocks, and a lot of the annoying things about them are pretty much just going away.

Wassermelone on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I cant wait to hellfire while fucking moving and not taking damage. Brings back old memories of killing myself AOEing mobs in dungeons while leveling up.

JJ on
    edited July 2010
    On the other hand, I won't be able to avoid taking durability hits in raid anymore.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited July 2010
    It's really hard to avoid durability hits now anyway.

Life tap takes off a lot less health than it used to so it takes too long to get low enough to hellfire, and there's so much raid damage going around that there's a pretty good chance that'll kill you instead anyway.

End on
    edited July 2010
    yeah, true

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Soulburn SoC thing sounds awesome. Kinda like that 51 pt WotLK beta talent between Cripple and Haunt, but built into SoC.

Speaking of which, warlocks should get Cripple. That wasn't overpowered in the least.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would rather have a aoe shadow bolt. Many Npcs have shown this spell/skill over the years why can we not have it?

Brainleech on
    edited August 2010
    AoE shadowbolt is kinda boring imo. Also doesn't fit thematically with affliction.

End on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    End wrote: »
    AoE shadowbolt is kinda boring imo. Also doesn't fit thematically with affliction.

But many of the same npcs cast corruption/Curse of Agony or another of the often used affliction spells

If they would replace some of the rather questionable tier two talents I would not be so upset at the affliction tree getting cripple in place of the improved fear or instant howl would be far more useful

Brainleech on
    edited August 2010
    Back when I stopped playing months back there was a warlock catered ui mod that would put cooldowns and dots on an icon that would slide across a bar to when it would be active/appropriate to cast again. Anyone remember or have other nifty mods?

JJ on
    edited August 2010
    Maybe you're thinking of ForteXorcist? (Previously known as ForteWarlock)

I don't recall that it put dots on a single "slidey" thing though. I just know it did that with cooldowns.

End on
    edited August 2010
    Not what I was thinking of but just as good. thanks.

JJ on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is demonology any good these days?

Rizzi on
    edited August 2010
    Demonology is great!

liEt3nH.png
  • wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Is demonology any good these days?

Demonology is pretty awesome. Come enjoy our endless 2sec cast Soulfires before Blizz takes all our OP fun away.

wusoldjr on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    When I send my voidwalker against targets (I am a lvl 16 BE warlock), both him and the target sometimes keep endlessly repositioning themselves. In some fights they just keep running ... mostly out of range of my spells. As I am in the Ghostlands right now, I don't know if this happens somewhere else as well ... but it keeps aggravating me to no end, as sometimes they run right through me, causing my spell to miss because I am facing wrong.

Is this a Ghostlands specific problem or a Warlock specific problem (hence the post here)? Is this something anyone else encounters? I reupped recently after 3 years absence, so I am a little behind on known bugs and I don't wanna dive in the cesspool that is the official forums ...

TheBigEasy on
This discussion has been closed.