As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 7-28-10. SANTA IS REAL!

2»

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fraction has that problem too. The problem is simply that they are all on too many books. If each dropped 2 books a piece, I bet their quality on their other books would go way up.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fraction needs to drop Uncanny and concentrate on Iron Man and Thor.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Everything I've seen of Flash makes it look like a beautifully-drawn book with some okay ideas, and mediocre-to-terrible dialogue.

Which is to say it's like everything else Johns has done.

Munch on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Johns will always have done a good job on Flash, and the first JSA run. And half of his Hawkman run.

Kind of like Bendis will always have his DD run (the best run ever), and USM, and Alias.

Still don't see why Barry had to come back though, all the cool things posted in Flash could have been done with Wally.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    See I don't believe that Fraction has that problem as he was only writing two books, and now adding a third. And with X-Men he wasn't writing it full time.

I think Fraction just doesn't work with big name titles

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Fraction simply got Gillen'd. Tis to say, yon british dude doth write better stories at the present, verily.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gillen needs to be writing Uncanny when Fraction starts on Thor. You'd get the best of both worlds since Fraction has proven he can write a great Thor and Gillen's proven he can write a good anything.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Johns will always have done a good job on Flash, and the first JSA run. And half of his Hawkman run.
    The more I read Johns' old stuff, the more I notice his weird little tics, and dislike the work more.

I do think those are probably the best things he's ever written, but a lot of it still had this weird dialogue, reverence for the Silver Age, and disregard/murder-boner for characters introduced in the nineties, or those that were impeding the re-introduction of Silver Age heroes.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    The more I read Johns' old stuff, the more I notice his weird little tics, and dislike the work more.

I do think those are probably the best things he's ever written, but a lot of it still had this weird dialogue, reverence for the Silver Age, and disregard/murder-boner for characters introduced in the nineties, or those that were impeding the re-introduction of Silver Age heroes.

I agree the signs of his future work are there, like Cicada and his killing cult and the Tortoise and Heat Wave (basically all those villain vignettes), but he didn't really go crazy with stuff until the Blitz arc. And Wally was still a happy guy until #200. Ignition hella sucked though.

And Hawkman started turning bleh after that Hawkwoman arc where he made Carter all dark and broody, and he cried during that crossover with the JSA because it was so tough see big boys can cry

JSA still holds up well, whether this was Goyer's influence or what, it's continuity heavy but it pays off.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Gillen needs to be writing Uncanny when Fraction starts on Thor. You'd get the best of both worlds since Fraction has proven he can write a great Thor and Gillen's proven he can write a good anything.

They should just keep Gillen on Thor, his stuff is better than JMS and even though Fraction's Ages of Thunder Thor was good Gillen has been really knocking the ball out of the park on this one, as you American's would say. Fraction should continue with Iron Man, and they should lose Pasqual Ferry because that preview art for his work look pretty bad.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You diss Ferry and I will cut you, Solar.

something something something Judi Dench something something.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fraction's Ages of Thunder was great. His SI tie-in, not so much. His FCBD Thor wasn't very good either. I'm conflicted about his upcoming run, especially with how great Gillen has been.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    KVW wrote: »
    Fraction's Ages of Thunder was great. His SI tie-in, not so much. His FCBD Thor wasn't very good either. I'm conflicted about his upcoming run, especially with how great Gillen has been.

Really? I thought that was fantastic, although Beta Ray Bill had a lot to do with me liking it. And I liked the scene with Thor hanging out with the storm victims in the FCBD issue, it's great when writers have the heroes hang out with the populace like that.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Johns' Flash was pretty neat, and Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. is probably one of my favorite uses of legacy characters in a long time, but after that I kind of lost interest in his way of storytelling, save for Sinestro Corps War. I love that dang event so much

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pat Dugan hangs out with John Henry all the time.

Therefore Steel is better than Luke Cage. Oh snap.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Luke Cage hangs out with Man-Thing and Danny Rand

He wins

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Danny Rand wears booties and had sex with skrull Spider-Woman. And got a stupid Spider-Woman tattoo to boot(ies).

That's -1000 cool points.

I ain't see no Iron Fist save the universe.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Danny Rand wears booties and had sex with skrull Spider-Woman. And got a stupid Spider-Woman tattoo to boot(ies).

Fuck that bullshit out of continuity crap. Danny Rand Kung Fu's the shit out of bad guys with the power of the undying Shao-Lao, and is awesome. Luke Cage is cool by association.

Solar on
  • Options
    macrylindamacrylinda Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    Yeah, the original SDCC Iron Man preview was edited in much the same way

The footage which was seen was great though. That was also my MotW. I don't think we really saw him flying or using any weather control of anything though, hopefully that kind of stuff is still in the movie. I'd guess the latter definately is.

Also the Destroyer. How fucking cool is that?

macrylinda on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

When Kirk had sex with green women everybody was all "Playa Playa!" and now the coolest kung-fu guru this side of the seven heavenly cities gets some green-tail and all he gets is hate!

Also he's helped save our reality a few times. Universes... realities... basically the same thing.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg