As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

KotOR 2- Worth it?

2»

• Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I enjoyed KOTOR 2, but seriously, the tone was so damn depressing.
    I rescued the republic at the end of KOTOR 1, damn it. Why is everything in ruin?
    And the locations just don't hold a candle to KOTOR 1, they're not as memorable, no wookie planet, no ocean planet, no tatooine. Just boring settings.
    I'm sold.

If I were reviewing games, every game that didn't include Manaan would get a 10% starting bonus to its rating.

Wait, I feel I'm missing something here. The planets in the first KOTOR were more memorable?

Kashyyyk: Perpetual night, giant trees everywhere.
    Tatooine: Perpetual day, sand, sand, everywhere there's sand.
    Manaan: Water, water everywhere.

Kashyyyk was more interesting than Tatooine, but they were both dull. I've always liked Manaan, but the city layout was too spread out. Tarisian spread out.

But of course, KOTOR 2 had only 'boring settings'. That jungle moon Dxun sure was pretty dull, eh? And Telos? Meh. Nothing doing there. Nar Shaddaa? Ho-hum.

Did I miss the /sarcasm tag?
    Did you mean to quote me?

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I went looking through the lists of feats and such just a minute ago, and I can't find the one that lets you block blaster bolts with normal weapons. I remember really well taking this feat, and going through the game unarmed... watching my jedi-ass-kicker block blasters with the palm of his hand was awesome.

I could be crazy, and the block animation could have been a fluke, but I remember it damn well. :|
    Force Deflection and Force Redirection

Also very, very important. The majority of enemies in the game use blasters,
    and since you don't use lightsabers, these powers are necessary to provide
    defense. Level one stops blaster bolts, level two bounces them back. Without
    these, you won't last very long in a heated firefight.

Those are Jedi Powers, not Feats, so you'll have to gain enough influence to turn someone into a Jedi before they can pick up these two.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I went looking through the lists of feats and such just a minute ago, and I can't find the one that lets you block blaster bolts with normal weapons. I remember really well taking this feat, and going through the game unarmed... watching my jedi-ass-kicker block blasters with the palm of his hand was awesome.

I could be crazy, and the block animation could have been a fluke, but I remember it damn well. :|
    Force Deflection and Force Redirection

Also very, very important. The majority of enemies in the game use blasters,
    and since you don't use lightsabers, these powers are necessary to provide
    defense. Level one stops blaster bolts, level two bounces them back. Without
    these, you won't last very long in a heated firefight.

Those are Jedi Powers, not Feats, so you'll have to gain enough influence to turn someone into a Jedi before they can pick up these two.

Thanks... a retard is me.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Did you mean to quote me?

Yes and No. Yours was included only because I liked Manaan. The setting and music provided a kind of calming atmosphere. And despite the layout of the city required numerous non-skippable treks back and forth I really like it because it was a location that was never used before in the SW universe. Granted it was created for the game, but I liked it just the same.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's worth it. Fuck Dareth Ram.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    LindygamerLindygamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I check team gizka's site every couple weeks to see how they are getting along. So when the mod is finished I can see all the crazy crap that was suppose to be in game.

I like kotor1, made me want to rush out and buy the second one as soon as I knew there was one. Kotor2... well. When playing a SW game im always good. I cant stand hurting innocents even in pixel form. But Kriea... she made me think, damn. Im really fucking people up for holding there hands and doin all there work form. Maybe being good isnt so good? My new motto became "Ok ill go take care of your problems (Opens hand with palm facing up)."

And I loved making everyone in my group a jedi, and I rejoiced quite vocally when I had HK 47 return. It will be nice seeing the HK droid factory in the mod.

Buy the game now or wait to see what team gizka does with it.

Lindygamer on
    The opinions I don't have are the opinions I don't got.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You really only needed Five Force powers/feats to go through the game unharmed.

Force Speed
    Force Valour
    Flury
    Force Jump
    Force Lightning.

Then spend your spare points on deflection healing and all that jazz.

Force lightning for a tight group and force jump for well spaced fellows (it kills most people in one shot) the only thing you need to be carefull about it is you need to kill people in a certain order to garuntee you to jump at them each time. Maybe a flurry to finish up on particularly hard dudes.

Blake T on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really liked the sidequests in 1. Just finished the Sunry trial. Phoenix Wright music kept on popping in my heard while the trial was going on. That, and the Dantooine murder investigation.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited May 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    It's not worth it until the restoration projects finish. It's still only half a game.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    Rentilius wrote: »
    It's not worth it until the restoration projects finish. It's still only half a game.

It's much more than half a game. Not quite that much was cut out of it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You guys nuts? KotOR 2 has some of the best party members in any game ever.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Atton > Carth

Visas > Bastila

Mira > Mission

Sure, there are a few dodgy characters in there, too, but the fact that I can't remember their names must mean you don't have to pay any attention to them.

I prefer 2 to 1, but that might be because I knew what i was doing more the second time around.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wish they hadn't done the gender/alignment exclusive characters. I wanted to see how Handmaiden reacted to a female character on my second playthrough, and then I couldn't get her. That disappointed me. Also Hanhhar was almost annoying as Kriea. "Growrrr, I'm angry!" "Fuck you Hanhhar!" *your influence with Hanhhar has increased* What the shit? Masochist Wookiee for the lose.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you can find it for cheap, go for it. If you enjoyed KOTOR, there's a good chance you'll have fun playing this one as well.

There'll be some disappointment, of course.

Ranced on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wasn't a huge fan of KOTOR 2.

I felt like I was forcing myself to play through it.

Now I want to play KOTOR 1 again though.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Also Hanhhar was almost annoying as Kriea. "Growrrr, I'm angry!" "Fuck you Hanhhar!" *your influence with Hanhhar has increased* What the shit? Masochist Wookiee for the lose.
    Character influence in KOTOR was almost as nonsensical as in NWN2.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Shit yeah.

It's better than the first one, up until the very end.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Also Hanhhar was almost annoying as Kriea. "Growrrr, I'm angry!" "Fuck you Hanhhar!" *your influence with Hanhhar has increased* What the shit? Masochist Wookiee for the lose.
    Character influence in KOTOR was almost as nonsensical as in NWN2.

I tend to think Hanharr was the exception.

Elsewhere, you just do things characters in your party would like and they like you for it and are more open with you. I myself enjoyed discovering new things about my party, and the stat bonuses that followed

The only let down was going through the trouble of turning everyone into a Jedi and fully equipping them only to discover that you have to solo the final planet.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The only let down was going through the trouble of turning everyone into a Jedi and fully equipping them only to discover that you have to solo the final planet.

Well it was worth the trouble for that one bit where
    your party splits up, then it was pretty handy to have a lot of badass Jedi.

Hey, I've seen a lot of people advocating the light side paralyzing abilities, but is it just me or do those get saved 99% of the time I use them?

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Did you raise your Wis substantially?

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Well it was worth the trouble for that one bit where
    your party splits up, then it was pretty handy to have a lot of badass Jedi.

Hey, I've seen a lot of people advocating the light side paralyzing abilities, but is it just me or do those get saved 99% of the time I use them?

Actually, the Dark Side paralyzing ability is much, much better by virtue of doing the same thing as Stasis Field and adding a debuff. It might be worth using it, even as a Light Side player.

And my Consular/Watchman had no problem paralyzing everyone in a room at a maximum of two attempts up until the very end of the game.

Didn't work on Jedi bosses, of course, excepting a few flukes.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah...and really if you use the level up glitches(which I would suggest...what's the point of being able to go up to over level 40 if you can beat it by the time you're level 25). You can get so many force powers it doesn't make any sense. And by the time you're near the end of the game you have so many force points you don't even notice the drain for using off-side abilities(not to mention you have a force drain skill to abuse too...)

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    so true. I personally thought the whole monty hall approach to KOTOR2 was more annoying than how rushed and incomplete it was.

The first time I played through it, I went through as a Consular/Jedi Master, I got my WIS all the way up to 36 at some point with no cheats at all, it was ridiculous...I was the Jedi Jesus with an uber glow stick. all fell before my righteousness.

The game was just way too flippin easy.

VoodooV on