As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Phalla Royale - The Testing (Discussion Time)

ArdorArdor Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Critical Failures
Background:

You’ve been forced into a classroom of a school you’ve never seen before with some familiar faces of classmates, but most of the room is filled with people you’ve never seen before. You now realize that you’ve been recruited to participate in an annual game called Phalla Royale where participants are taken from high school classrooms around the country and forced to participate in a game which results in only few are able to survive to win the game, if any. You also notice you’ve been outfitted with a collar which you cannot remove and are told by doing so, it will simply detonate, taking your life.

Roles:

Students:

Virtually everyone here is a student. You will be picking a bag from the front of the classroom and marching off from this compound. Each bag contains some survival gear but most importantly, an item or weapon of some sort to help in your ability to both survive and kill in order to win the game and go home. You start the game with an item given to you in a role pm. Your win condition is to be the last one standing.

Lone Wolf:

You look around the room at your prey. Little does everyone know, but you signed up for this to have some fun whereas everyone else was abducted to play in the game. You get one free kill each night in addition to your one action. This free kill cannot be detected by anyone else. Gunning or axing someone will garner attention as anyone else would. Your win condition is to be the last one standing.

Game Mechanics:

In this game, there are 5 zones. Each zone is a subset of the island you are on. On night 1 there will be no deaths. You will choose a zone (1-5) and tell me via pm which zone you’d like to be in that night. Each zone has items available for people to find. You will receive a pm after narration each night to tell you the following:

-What item(s) you found in that zone. (if you find more than you can carry, you have until vote closes the next night to tell me what item(s) you will be carrying of the ones in your inventory and on the ground)
(Example: You are carrying a stun gun. You find some dynamite, a handgun, a crossbow and an axe on the ground. Tell me what 3 items you will be carrying before vote closes. If I hear nothing from you, I assume you picked nothing up and kept your stun gun.)
-Who else you saw in that zone plus what item(s) they were carrying
-If someone was killed in that zone that night, you will know who the attacker is (Example: You saw Drez use an uzi to gun down Senor Fish)

Each night you are all allowed one action. The following are the actions allowed:

-Target someone with a weapon to kill them (they must have been seen in your zone to target them)
-Move to a specific zone
-Use an item (example, I’d like to set the dynamite to go off tomorrow night in zone 2)
-Follow a specific target. You will end up in whatever zone they choose and you will know in your pm that night what zone you ended up in

In addition to your action, you can also do the following:

-Managing inventory with what’s available on the ground.
-Vote for someone each night after the first to have their collar detonated. The winner of the vote has their collar detonated by the lead professor watching over the game. This guy is kill happy, and will kill anyone involved in a tie. If 3 people each have 2 votes for example, he kills all three of them. He’s not picky. Keep votes in red please. Also, vote in this thread.

Items:

-Limit 3 items per person
-Items cannot be traded. They can be looted off your kill though
-Item conditions and restrictions are listed in the pms you will be sent.
-Passive items do exist and they do count against your total.

Narration:

-If any mechanics or roles change with the game, it will be included in the narration
-Zones shutting down will be noted in the narration each night
-Goals to obtain for rewards are listed in the narration as well
-Players killed will not have roles revealed, but who died and which zone they died in and how they died will be noted in the narration. This professor in charge is slightly twisted and loves watching these games.

Kill order:

Simply put, lone wolf's free kill goes first. Everything else happens at the same time afterwards including the vote kill. You might be a student, but you aren't dumb. Weapons like axes and bats will kill at the same time a handgun or shotgun would since nobody runs straight into the face of a gun, you'd hide around a corner or wait for someone to look away. The exception to this is the lone wolf free kill, that happens first each night. Detonation of the collar occurs at the same time everything else does. You aren't about to die without taking someone with you, right?

Rules:

-No sharing role pms in any way.
-Living and dead players should not be communicating about this game
-Please save comments/ideas etc about the game until we finish the 3-day trial of it as my inbox probably cannot handle it otherwise
-Narration each night will also shut down a zone. This means that zone cannot be accessed that night or for the rest of the game. If you do not send me a pm, I assume you stayed in your current zone. If that zone happens to be one shutting down, you will be killed that night and your items lost from the game.
-Keep track of the pms along with any announcements that might be made during the game. These announcements will be made during the opening post and narrations. If any rules or win conditions change, you will know about them from the narration. There are also rewards for performing well in the game or pleasing the professor in charge. He will let you know what he wants during any narrations and what he’s offering to the person to accomplish this.
-Voting will end at 10pm CST every night

I think that’s it. Again, I’m looking for about 10 people, maybe 15 tops if there’s enough interest, to try this out. There are no specials other than the lone wolf. Everyone essentially acts as any special depending upon their items that they find. I’m giving everyone the first day to survive so they can at least try to find a weapon or useful item so they can have a chance to perform one useful action before they might die. I will start this test as soon as I can get enough people willing to try it out, which means I might start as soon as today if I’m lucky enough.

Please sign up by choosing a number on the roster below. That tells you what bag (item) you have chosen to begin the game with.

1. Cablecarrier - shot to death
2. Jdarksun - shot to death, killed by a bolt and gutted by a sword
3. Kilnaga - shot to death
4. B:L - killed by a dynamite blast
5. DevoutlyApathetic - Killed by a grenade
6. Tormentedsoul - dies by collar detonation
7. GrimmyTOA - hit by a bolt
8. Thorpe -killed by a bolt
9. Inquisitor
10. Locus
11. Senor Fish - shot to death and axed
12. Darkprimus - death by collar detonation
13. Buzz buzz - shot to death
14. Elbonian Man - killed by a grenade
15. Tofu - suffocated
16. Celebrim

Also, remember to watch the exciting finale of Phallanoia hosted by your very own EvilBadMan and Devoutly Apathetic.

Finally, Gnasty has an exciting game titled “The Kingdom of Phalla vol. 1: The Caves of Phalla” which should follow the conclusion of Phallanoia.

The game will start now, the first night ends tomorrow at 10pm CDT.

If people want to end the first night tonight, I need every player above to post in this thread saying they want to do it. If that's the case, the game will start tonight and I will update the OP to reflect this.

Updated Roles and win conditions!

Students now have formed teams to survive. Your win condition is to kill the lone wolf and be the last team standing.

The lone wolf's win condition is still to kill everyone else and be the last to live.

Updated mechanics

There are items that have an area effect in the game. As long as you stand by your teammate who used the item in that zone, you will be protected from it's effects.

Zones available for day 2

Zones 1, 2, 3, 5 are still available. zone 4 closes down tonight.

Ardor on

• Buzz BuzzBuzz Buzz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm fine with the first night ending tonight, since all we really have to do on night 1 is choose a zone to head to, right?

Buzz Buzz on
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Aye, Lets get it on!

Kilnaga on
    "The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ending tonight is fine with me.

Celebrim on
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Buzz Buzz wrote: »
    I'm fine with the first night ending tonight, since all we really have to do on night 1 is choose a zone to head to, right?

You are correct, I wanted people to have the chance to both grab some new items, and to decide what they want to do tomorrow night with more than the initial item. It's all about chance now.

Either way though, I wanted to make sure everyone was ok with starting tonight, I don't want to catch anyone off guard since you've all been kind enough to give me some of your time to test this.

Ardor on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Starting tonight is aok when all we're doing is choosing a zone.

I think we should kill CableCarrier because he's number 1.

tofu on
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are the "Actions" all via PM then? Including moves?

Celebrim on
  • Elbonian ManElbonian Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Tonight's great. I also propose a pow-wow in Zone 2.

Elbonian Man on
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have no problem starting tonight, especially if all we are doing is choosing a zone.

Locus on
    edited May 2007
    Tonight's great. I also propose a pow-wow in Zone 2.
    Having seen and read Battle Royale, I can tell you right now that this is a terrible idea.

Locus on
    edited May 2007
    Celebrim wrote: »

Correct.

Also tofu, no votes tonight. Nobody dies tonight. Everyone moves, finds other people, finds items, then you can start killin'.

Ardor on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pow-wow in zone 2 eh? Sounds fun...

Inquisitor on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ardor wrote: »
    Celebrim wrote: »

Correct.

Also tofu, no votes tonight. Nobody dies tonight. Everyone moves, finds other people, finds items, then you can start killin'.

Alright.

tofu on
    edited May 2007
    Ardor, can you tell us the priority order for actions? IE: I and tofu both go to zone 2 tonight. He has an UZI so I think any place is better than here so I use my action to go to zone 3, but he thinks this is an easy chance to off an opponent and uses his action to try and gun me down. What happens?

Elbonian Man on
    edited May 2007
    Ardor, can you tell us the priority order for actions? IE: I and tofu both go to zone 2 tonight. He has an UZI so I think any place is better than here so I use my action to go to zone 3, but he thinks this is an easy chance to off an opponent and uses his action to try and gun me down. What happens?

Lone wolf free kill -> Everything else.

All weapons can only target the people they see. Night 1 ends and Ardor and thorgot are in the same zone. They are both notified they see one another and what they are carrying. Ardor can only target thorgot that night for a kill, and thorgot can only target Ardor for a kill that night.

In your example, Tofu can state his action is to use his UZI to kill you. This means if you move anywhere he will automatically follow you and shoot you that night. If you both decide to kill each other you will both kill each other unless something happens to block the kill or somehow you get distracted. (There are items in the game which will block some types of kills and some items that will prevent all kills from happening in a specific zone that night.)

If you end up seeing each other, unless you both decide to kill each other, you can both talk it out in pms or in the thread. Since all actions happen at the same time, your weapon and his weapon, regardless of types, can kill each other at the same time.

Does this help?

Ardor on
    edited May 2007

Lone wolf free kill -> Everything else.

All weapons can only target the people they see. Night 1 ends and Ardor and thorgot are in the same zone. They are both notified they see one another and what they are carrying. Ardor can only target thorgot that night for a kill, and thorgot can only target Ardor for a kill that night.

In your example, Tofu can state his action is to use his UZI to kill you. This means if you move anywhere he will automatically follow you and shoot you that night. If you both decide to kill each other you will both kill each other unless something happens to block the kill or somehow you get distracted. (There are items in the game which will block some types of kills and some items that will prevent all kills from happening in a specific zone that night.)

If you end up seeing each other, unless you both decide to kill each other, you can both talk it out in pms or in the thread. Since all actions happen at the same time, your weapon and his weapon, regardless of types, can kill each other at the same time.

Does this help?

Yup. Crystal clear for every game mechanic I'm aware of at this point now.

Elbonian Man on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This looks to be fun.

Gorilla Salad on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm cool with starting tonight.

One Thousand Cables on
    edited May 2007
    I think I'll do it this way. Once I receive a movement pm from every player, I'll post the narration and we'll then move ahead to day 2. Then I'll figure out when to end day 2 so we can keep moving. However fast this game goes, we need to finish it by the time Gnasty's game starts, I do not want to step on his toes since he's been waiting patiently for his turn to host.

Ardor on
    edited May 2007
    Also, since we're already in the game, I figure I can start speculating. There's not much to go on right now, but that's not gonna stop me.

This is a fascinating game, because there's only one winner (although we probably won't make it that far, but if we were playing it to completion, one winner). Although it's in everyone's best interest to cooperate to find the Lone Wolf (since he's more powerful than any of us could be), it's in no one's best interest to team up outside of the hunt for the Lone Wolf. Even though roles will not be disclosed in narration, we'll probably still be able to find out when the Wolf is killed, since there will be one less kill than there should be. I'm describing this poorly, but I think it makes sense. Anyway, it's in the students' best interests to cooperate in the topic and backstab each other behind the scenes, as it were.

Elbonian Man proposed that we all go to Zone 2. This is exactly the sort of cooperation that makes no sense for the students. Either Elbonian Man has some sort of powerful item (the example dynamite, for instance) or he's the Lone Wolf. Either way, following his suggestion is clearly problematic.

However, not following his suggestion is equally problematic. His proposal has likely scared a lot of people away from Zone 2, myself included. If everyone stays out of Zone 2, EM is free to move into that zone and take any items that may be there for himself, without any risk of death. So, to quote...I believe it was Drez, who was quoting one of the greatest movies of the 20th century, clearly I cannot choose the wine in front of you.

I'm really good at making these long posts without actually establishing anything. I do believe that if any of you see EM, you should take a swing at him if you can. I know I will. :)

Buzz Buzz on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I can't believe I missed this. Oh well. I'll be sure to make it in time for the real thing.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited May 2007
    What are you saying buzz buzz?

Everyone should come to come to the pow-wow! Pow-wows are fun. :lol:

Ardor said goals might be released through the narration. These goals might require more than one person to complete. Some of these goals may allow more then one person to win the game (like in the movie prehaps).
    Also, maybe someone has only defensive items, and someone else has only offensive items. They can assure eachothers survival for alot longer, and therefore become better armed if they work together.

Inquisitor on
    edited May 2007
    Buzz Buzz is right. Working with someone else will get you killed, period. They might wait until the very last day to do it, but it will happen eventually. Either that, or you will have killed them. The point is, you can't really trust anybody, which is true in most phallas but is especially true here.

If we want to assure ourselves that no one gets an unfair advantage and ends up in a zone by themselves, we can publically declare which zone we intend to enter, and then get three people in each zone. Anyone who doesn't comply can be voted out the next evening.

Locus on
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm good with having tonight be the first night. Yay team!

GrimmyTOA on
    edited May 2007
    Actually, since we're all testers, we should try to break the game. Okay, someone should PM Ardor and tell him that they're going to move to Zone 6, in order to check for Out of Bounds errors. Someone else should try to reference a weapon they don't have to test for Null Pointer exceptions. Finally, everyone should PM an extra Lone Wolf style kill to Ardor to ensure that the classes don't have access to each other's methods.

This pathetic attempt at programming humor was brought to you by one quarter of UCI's Information and Computer Science program.

Anyway, we could do Locus's idea, but then we're sort of giving away information that we don't need to divulge. I've been fairly vocal so far, so I don't really want the Lone Wolf to know where I am, in case he thinks I'm worth killing. I think we should all just move in private to give the Lone Wolf as little info as possible.

Buzz Buzz on
    edited May 2007
    Divulging where your going to move to could be really dumb if characters can leave traps behind them that can affect multiple people, like dynamite or something.

Does it actually say anywhere what the win condition is? That only one person can win? Cause if memory serves in the movie this is based on more than one person wins.

Inquisitor on
    edited May 2007
    Students:

Virtually everyone here is a student. You will be picking a bag from the front of the classroom and marching off from this compound. Each bag contains some survival gear but most importantly, an item or weapon of some sort to help in your ability to both survive and kill in order to win the game and go home. You start the game with an item given to you in a role pm. Your win condition is to be the last one standing.

Buzz Buzz on
    edited May 2007
    It was just a suggestion. I didn't honestly think anyone would listen to it. Also we should be trying to break the game, if we can. That's what testing is for!

Locus on
    edited May 2007
    Durrr, I can't read.

Inquisitor on
    edited May 2007
    Onec I have all movement pm's for the night, I'll put up narration. If this occurs as late as tomorrow morning, I'll see if it's feasible to set tomorrow night as the deadline for day 2. I'm just waiting on 5 more people right now.

Ardor on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh geez, Buzz Buzz, don't tell me you're a UCI ICS student too... D:

Good luck to you all, fellow CONDEMNED ;)

p.s. postin from my wii

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited May 2007
    Nah, I'm actually an English major. Just took ICS 21 for fun. Yeah, I'm a bit of a nut.

Are you at UCI too? If you are, you're the third PA Phalla player I know of that's at UCI. We should have a team or something...

Buzz Buzz on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm glad we didn't start tonight. I was at work until 10.

DarkPrimus on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dangit, it looks like I blinked and missed the sign-ups for this game. Seems like it would have been interesting. If someone doesn't participate, feel free to throw me in as an alternate. :P

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This is just a mini dry run, Spectre. Three days of nuttiness to work out the kinks before the real thing.

GrimmyTOA on
    edited May 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Ardor said goals might be released through the narration. These goals might require more than one person to complete. Some of these goals may allow more then one person to win the game (like in the movie prehaps).
    Movie spoilers:
    Nobody won in the movie.
    Kawada is declared the winner, but dies from his wounds on the way out.
    Shuya and Noriko become fugitives wanted for murder.

Really digging these mechanics. Phalla games where the villagers have direct influence are the best.

Question for Ardor: do you want us to treat this like a "live" game, or be somewhat open about stuff since it's a test?

I was thinking we play the game until Wednesday night where this ends, then we can talk mechanics and such. I'm interested to see how this plays out as a normal game, then I'd like to hear feedback and we can discuss how it went.

At the end, I'll list the items in this game and how they each work to see what you guys thought.

Ardor on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Buzz Buzz wrote: »
    Actually, since we're all testers, we should try to break the game. Okay, someone should PM Ardor and tell him that they're going to move to Zone 6, in order to check for Out of Bounds errors. Someone else should try to reference a weapon they don't have to test for Null Pointer exceptions. Finally, everyone should PM an extra Lone Wolf style kill to Ardor to ensure that the classes don't have access to each other's methods.

:^::^: <3 BB's programming hoo-hah.

I'm curious to see if any trading gets done, at all. I've read through this a bit and there doesn't seem to be any reason (except for being the Lone Wolf) to leave your zone if someone else is there.

That is, unless there's a hiding/sneaking mechanic or a chance that weapons "miss".

Squashua on
    edited May 2007
    For the time being, because I was a part of a game where trading items hurt other factions, I've decided that nobody can trade items with each other. Truth be told, everyone's out for themselves and all but one are scared to death, they aren't about to give up whatever protection they have to help someone else out. Plus, they all think they know how to use their items better than anyone else.

You can drop items one night and hope they are there tomorrow or that the zone doesn't shut down so your friends can pick them up.

Ardor on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I think it might help to gives players a short leg-up here and create multiple families of two. Sure they want to kill each other in the end, but it makes it a bit easier to find the lone wolf b/c they know the other isn't.

Plus, it helps to manage the team-up groups that are seen in the movie.

Squashua on
    edited May 2007
    Once thorpe gets back to me about where he's going tonight, I will post narration and start day 2. Since it's 11 hours to the deadline today, I will simply give you guys the extra time to figure out what to do since there will be options for everyone. Day 2 will end tomorrow as planned.

Also, please pay attention to the narration once I get the final pm. There's information there everyone will want to be aware of.

EDIT: re: jdarksun

I think I have a mechanic that will appear in the narration tonight that should help keep the lone wolf under wraps and not easily found. If I'm wrong, I already know what I will do differently in the game.

Ardor on
    edited May 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    We might be able to go on a compressed schedule; like two "days" per day or something, depending on when you get all the info you need.

Eh, I was just responding to Squashua's families suggestion. Insta-networks kinda bug me; the current Phalla meme of trusting the first person to make their powers public has hopefully run its course, but I think that mechanics that facilitate "trusted" participants removes a bit of suspense from the game.

We can go as fast as people are willing to be honest, but after the first day narration, you might want some extra time to figure out what to do next.

Other than people coming forward saying they have such and such item and to trust them they aren't the lone wolf, everyone's win condition is the same, so I'm not sure any type of instant networks will do any good. Even if it nets you the lone wolf kill, you still have everyone else to worry about.

As for your earlier comment about villagers having direct impact on the game besides a vote, I figured one of the attractions of phallanoia was that no matter what you were, you had the ability to do something other than vote. Here, I'm hoping to achieve the same feeling. Plus, in giving people at least 1 day to do something, you don't have to worry about 24 hours of living and then posting in a dead thread. You have 48!

Ardor on