As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect Thread: LegionOverlordEDI3way.txt

1454647484951»

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blake T wrote: »
    Hey, I said the combat was shit.

I know, I saw.

Good man.

sarukun on
  • Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Uh, there isn't a new shotgun.

None of the current shotguns have double barrels. The shotgun on Shepard's back does. It's something new at least.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    fuck that, mass effect is a console series

also, my computer recently crashed and I would have lost all of my mass effect shit if I had followed this advice so I'M SAYING YOUR ADVICE IS BAD

The Geebs That Is A Chump

ZeroFill on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For anyone that wants new guns to play with, I just saw a new DLC called the Firepower Pack in XBL's ME2 add-on area for 160 points. The new guns sound fun. That is if you like...
    ...a pistol with a laser-sight, an Assault Rifle that's half Sniper Rifle, and a three-barreled Geth shotgun with what sounds like a Carnage-like charge-n-fire ability.

Owenashi on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I do like all of those things.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    oh goodness me!

Pony on
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So when I traded in my Xbox 360 for the Slim I gave in my HD as well so I don't have any new game plus or whatever.

If I just start from scratch what are my options for choosing what happened in the first Mass Effect?

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
    edited August 2010
    So when I traded in my Xbox 360 for the Slim I gave in my HD as well so I don't have any new game plus or whatever.

If I just start from scratch what are my options for choosing what happened in the first Mass Effect?

there are none

zero

you get the same game no matter what

you get to pick your origin story bits (spacer/colonist/earthborn and war hero/survivor/ruthless) but that is it

Pony on
    edited August 2010
    What, I remember confirming what happened? Like Wrex surviving or whatever.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong. I really don't want to play through the first one, again.

That Dave Fella on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Go ask for it back.

(like offer money and stuff)

Blake T on
    edited August 2010
    What, I remember confirming what happened? Like Wrex surviving or whatever.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong. I really don't want to play through the first one, again.

oh, you get to "confirm" what happened on a new game+ from the first one

but you don't get to change anything except whether Udina or Anderson is the councilor

when you start a brand new ME2 dude that isn't a ME1 import, everything is always:
    wrex dies, rachni die, you never did any sidequests, all the colonists on feros died, etc.

bioware considers it the "path of least resistance" but it's basically a dickheaded Renegade run

Pony on
    edited August 2010
    They'd have wiped it.

Oh well, looks like I'll be playing through Mass Effect 1 again at some stage.

That Dave Fella on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They'd have wiped it.

Oh well, looks like I'll be playing through Mass Effect 1 again at some stage.

Nothing wrong with that, especially if you want to be a proper General in ME3.

Owenashi on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    playing through ME1 again after playing ME2 is downright punishing

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »

Sad but true. I like the more epic and open feel of the universe, but the gameplay is miles worse than ME2. So hard to go back to ME1. :(

Orca on
    edited August 2010
    so, i bought the new guns

ain't tried the new assault rifle yet (playing a sentinel right now) but i've tried the new pistol and shotgun

the new pistol is basically like the Carnifex with a laser sight, so that's pretty rad

and the new shotgun is GODLIKE

triple-barreled geth plasma shotgun with crazy knockback and accuracy you can snipe with

the gun is almost OP it's ridiculous

Pony on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pony wrote: »

ain't tried the new assault rifle yet (playing a sentinel right now) but i've tried the new pistol and shotgun

the new pistol is basically like the Carnifex with a laser sight, so that's pretty rad

triple-barreled geth plasma shotgun with crazy knockback and accuracy you can snipe with

this out for the PC version yet? i didn't see it on Bioware's site when i checked earlier.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    edited August 2010
    Pony wrote: »

this out for the PC version yet? i didn't see it on Bioware's site when i checked earlier.

don't know

the website doesn't even mention it, and you can't even see it available in-game on the Xbox

but if you go to the Xbox Live website, you can buy it through there, which is what i did

someone at MS probably boned up and this was likely not supposed to be released yet

but, i have it now, it's mine 8-)

Pony on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Orca wrote: »

Sad but true. I like the more epic and open feel of the universe, but the gameplay is miles worse than ME2. So hard to go back to ME1. :(

I just play it on casual now when I replay ME1. Then it doesn't matter how many bullets my team mates choose to put into walls/floors/ceilings/Shepard. Though it does make the end fights against Saren ridiculous.

"You cannot fight this Shepard, Sovereign is unstoppab-"

*pew pew* "Sorry, you were saying?"

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited August 2010
    smof wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »

I just play it on casual now when I replay ME1. Then it doesn't matter how many bullets my team mates choose to put into walls/floors/ceilings/Shepard. Though it does make the end fights against Saren ridiculous.

"You cannot fight this Shepard, Sovereign is unstoppab-"

*pew pew* "Sorry, you were saying?"

same

Pony on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    playing on casual should save Jenkins

Nerdgasmic on
    edited August 2010
    Yeh, I'll probably just rush through it on casual.

That Dave Fella on
    edited August 2010
    using console cheats in ME1 makes the experience slightly less painful, too.

i'm probably going to do a FemShep run in ME1 next. i'm slightly curious how romancing Garrus even works. i'm Turian-Curious.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    edited August 2010

i'm probably going to do a FemShep run in ME1 next. i'm slightly curious how romancing Garrus even works. i'm Turian-Curious.

according to mordin, chafing is a concern

Nerdgasmic on
    edited August 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

according to mordin, chafing is a concern

also, Turians have a different amino acid make-up than humans, which means a Turian's bodily fluids are toxic to humans and can cause anaphylaxis

to quote Mordin directly

"Do not... ingest."

Pony on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    what's with bioware releasing all the OP weapons on DLC

Nuzak on
    edited August 2010
    bioware's done a pretty good job of making their paid DLC cheap, at least

Nerdgasmic on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

So if I'm just playing ME1 for the first time is it worth it to play sans-cheats for the full experience, or should I just give in and use cheats so I don't scratch my eyeballs out?

Usagi on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    do a legit playthrough

it's only hard to deal with after glorifying in ME2's glow

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited August 2010
    Dubh wrote: »
    do a legit playthrough

pretty much this. cheats are only for when you've already finished ME1, need a new base character to import into ME2, and can't deal with going back to ME1's game mechanics.

when i first played ME1 i had a lot of fun, but ME2 has spoiled the hell out of me.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    edited August 2010
    Usagi wrote: »

So if I'm just playing ME1 for the first time is it worth it to play sans-cheats for the full experience, or should I just give in and use cheats so I don't scratch my eyeballs out?

well it's not the sort of game where it's cheats that you need to make it better, like no-clipping past a really obnoxious puzzle or something. i mean halfway through the game money becomes meaningless and you get the best kind of weapons and armour and mods, so it's very hard to find combat challenging.

it's just an awkward and unpolished game with some real gems of setting and characters and writing.

Nuzak on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    speaking of obnoxious puzzles

I just realized there was no towers of hanoi in dragon age/ME2

I feel kinda cheated

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited August 2010
    there was a tower of hanoi in dragon age 8-)

Nuzak on
    edited August 2010
    man, that scene where you finally catch up with thane at the penthouse is amazing no matter how many times I see it.

Nerdgasmic on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wait tower of hanoi what

Langly on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    why do i keep playing on insanity? i am at the ship part and i keep getting ruined.

Melding on
  • BirudojinBirudojin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dubh wrote: »
    do a legit playthrough

I keep trying to do playthroughs of ME1 at work, both to build up my library of savegames for testing with and to keep it fresh in my mind. It's so hard to do now :( Sadly, saves from retail kits won't work on our xboxes, so I can't just pillage websites for savegames either.

It doesn't help that I keep accidentally pressing the wrong button and holstering my weapon instead of punching enemies right in front of me, or forgetting how to use bound powers and things..

Hopefully I'll be saying the same thing about ME2 later on :D "This game is so bad! The new one I'm working on is so much better!"

Also, <3 the Mattock - it's fantastic for playing with if you can get headshots reliably.

Birudojin on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    wait tower of hanoi what

You know, that stupid stacking game that every adventure/RPG tries to cram in as a puzzle

Tower of Hanoi

Didgeridoo on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Don't swallow.

Orca on