As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Linking Spreadsheet Data in Word -- No Auto-Update Over Network?

TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi, and thanks in advance.

I'm trying to set up a Word doc with some data fields from a spreadsheet. Both files are hosted on the network, and when I open the Word doc I get the "Do you want to automatically update the linked fields?" dialogue. Selecting 'yes', however, doesn't update the fields.

If I move the spreadsheet to my local HDD, the fields update as I update them in Excel.

Anyone know a solution here? Thanks!

TL DR on

• Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Where are they hosted in your network? An IIS server, file server, etc?

Ganluan on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A file server.

TL DR on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The path to the data is probably wrong.

My guess is that somebody created the file on their local hard drive, then uploaded it to a network drive, and now the Word document is looking for an Excel document in C:\Documents and Settings\ladygaga\My Documents and now the Excel document is in \\server\data\profiles\ladygaga.

Try this. Assuming it's Word 2007/2010, go to Data, Connections. Find the connection and go to Properties. Turn on "Prompt for file name on refresh." Refresh the data. It should prompt you for the data source file. Choose the file in its new location. Make sure the data populates. If it does, turn off the "Prompt for file name on refresh" option and then save the file.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is probably a stupid question, but have you checked to make sure the insert tag is pointing to the right location? If you created the insert tags on your local machine and then uploaded them, they won't be looking in the correct spot.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The spreadsheet and Word doc already existed on the network share when I inserted the links.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    The path to the data is probably wrong.

My guess is that somebody created the file on their local hard drive, then uploaded it to a network drive, and now the Word document is looking for an Excel document in C:\Documents and Settings\ladygaga\My Documents and now the Excel document is in \\server\data\profiles\ladygaga.

Try this. Assuming it's Word 2007/2010, go to Data, Connections. Find the connection and go to Properties. Turn on "Prompt for file name on refresh." Refresh the data. It should prompt you for the data source file. Choose the file in its new location. Make sure the data populates. If it does, turn off the "Prompt for file name on refresh" option and then save the file.

I'm not seeing the Data > Connections options anywhere in Word, though it is in Excel (2010, btw). No connections are listed in Excel, which makes sense as the data is being linked in Word and not vice versa.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I guess since the only people editing these docs are going to be IT folk, it's not a big deal for them to remember to Ctrl+A and F9 every time.

Now the issue is that moving content in the spreadsheet results in empty cells in the document. :?

TL DR on