As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA The Series: Season Finale

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Willeth wrote: »
    You know, an episode shadowing Khoo could be really interesting or really tedious.

ROBERT KHOO, BUSINESS WHIZ
    *eight minutes of him sitting at a desk typing*

PENNY ARCADE

There have to be cutaway shots/split-screens to show the effects of his typing.

Mainly big explosions, grown men weeping, tyrants being deposed, ladies getting sexy and trying to find him, dogs that have been hit by cars getting up uninjured, ICBMs launched by terrorists at the US diverted and instead blowing up giant asteroids about to hit Earth, youtube commenters' heads exploding, babies laughing, Jonty in a darkened meat warehouse furiously boxing sides of beef, the invention of peanuts that come out of the shell already covered in chocolate, Sinestro screaming in rage as he is foiled once again, adorable kittens doing things that people sometimes do, preventing Mike & Jerry from going out and getting lunch at 10:30 am...

You know, day-to-day stuff.

Yeah I see a Butterfly Effect of Khoo's machinations. Like he types an email, hits send and 20 people in Russia go missing. Sends a text and a couple in Poland find all their debts paid.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited August 2010
    LaCabra wrote: »
    My ad was for Starcraft every time I watched it.
    I'm glad then I was some kinda anomaly; maybe it's that I'm watching in the Netherlands? And the scrupulous filtering of approved content providers doesn't somehow apply... or maybe the guys just got it wrong. My pizza ad seems to be gone now. We'll say nothing more about it then.

EDIT: Nah, now it's Fiber One chewy chocolate bars. Guess nobody 'got' anything wrong. "Did" something wrong though... different ballgame. I guess "People have to eat, they may as well eat something we get paid to push in their faces" comes under different criteria than the foundational "we won't advertise games that we don't like" credo that always made me proud.

Obviously it's none of my business how you guys make your money, but this junkfood transition really, really sticks in the craw.

We're aware of the ads and it's a conscious decision on our part. The "only good games" policy is done to address credibility within our space - we've always found it comical the hypocrisy of those trying to be objective about games being funded by all games both good and bad. Mike and Jerry just want to make sure you know their integrity isn't in question.

For wheaties? Fiber One? We don't really think that affects our credibility, and it helps pay for the reality series, so we use the ad network as a house ad. Creating and serving video is incredibly expensive - we'd rather put out the series with some mainstream ads that don't affect our core biz than not have the series at all.

Thanks for understanding.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fiber One is something I'd not heard of until I read CP's post, and judging only by the name doesn't sound fantastically appetising.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • ColeTColeT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm glad then I was some kinda anomaly; maybe it's that I'm watching in the Netherlands? And the scrupulous filtering of approved content providers doesn't somehow apply... or maybe the guys just got it wrong. My pizza ad seems to be gone now. We'll say nothing more about it then.

EDIT: Nah, now it's Fiber One chewy chocolate bars. Guess nobody 'got' anything wrong. "Did" something wrong though... different ballgame. I guess "People have to eat, they may as well eat something we get paid to push in their faces" comes under different criteria than the foundational "we won't advertise games that we don't like" credo that always made me proud.

Obviously it's none of my business how you guys make your money, but this junkfood transition really, really sticks in the craw.

Pizza is pizza. It's not terribly good for you, but it's delicious and everyone is aware of it's potential caloric content. Fiber One bars are actually a healthy snack alternative for a high fiber diet, not junk food. And if you're marginally intelligent, it's not as if you're going to go out and buy any of it just because it was on the computer screen. Stop dumping on the things that allow The Khoo to provide us with PATV. You're sitting in front of your computer, you can click over to a different window.

ColeT on
    225px-RedHat.svg.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fiber One is something I'd not heard of until I read CP's post, and judging only by the name doesn't sound fantastically appetising.

Their pop-tarts are way better than actual Pop-Tarts.

Also they fund "A Prairie Home Companion" from time to time, so they're cool.

KalTorak on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ColeT wrote: »
    Fiber One bars are actually a healthy snack alternative for a high fiber diet, not junk food.

No. These are candy bars marketed as health food.

product_image.aspx?catID=23347&itemID=24420

You don't put High Maltose Corn Syrup in healthy snacks.

If it pays the bills it pays the bills. I don't look to Penny Arcade, whose culinary exploits include pocky, Cinnabon and Meef Chewbaccas, for dietary guidance. CuriousPencil raises a valid point and is allowed to address it respectfully. He got an actual response from Khoo, who certainly doesn't need your postscript to make his point.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    don't forget the cheese submarine
    or the chimadilla
    or the quesarito

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sonic cheesecake bites dipped in cinnamel/caramelmon.

KalTorak on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

We're aware of the ads and it's a conscious decision on our part. The "only good games" policy is done to address credibility within our space - we've always found it comical the hypocrisy of those trying to be objective about games being funded by all games both good and bad. Mike and Jerry just want to make sure you know their integrity isn't in question.

For wheaties? Fiber One? We don't really think that affects our credibility, and it helps pay for the reality series, so we use the ad network as a house ad. Creating and serving video is incredibly expensive - we'd rather put out the series with some mainstream ads that don't affect our core biz than not have the series at all.

As long as you're not advertising Gamer Grub. ;)

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    or the chimadilla
    or the quesarito

Or Carrot Cake soup. Truly part of a nutritious, wholesome, homespun American Meal.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Goddamn I have that same argument with my best friend every single day

Dude literally grows a beard between 9 to 5

Listen:

As a dude who gets horribly thick shadow immediately after shaving and has a full beard over the weekend

Let me tell you

It SUCKS. It is not a cool thing.

DeliciousTacos on
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A beautiful finale; seemed to augur more than an end to 2Player's involvement though. Maybe just me, but this feels like the precursor to a huge sea-change, along the lines of 'Well guys, you saw how much family means to us... we'll be updating once a week from now on'.

And I may as well moan about this too: the incongruity of a family special being front-ended by an advert for pizza pockets or whatever, is probably the singlemost disappointing thing I've seen associated with PA. Ever.

Is this a joke? Because there's no way you can be serious. An ad for pizza pockets has you this upset? You are dead serious right now, you are going to look me in the eye and say this was a serious comment? I hope you aren't suicidal. Are you going to be okay? Do you need a hug, a glass of water? Are you going to be okay?

Jesus, come on.

Roger Wilco on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've never had pizza pockets. Are they really crummy or something? They sound quite tasty,

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A beautiful finale; seemed to augur more than an end to 2Player's involvement though. Maybe just me, but this feels like the precursor to a huge sea-change, along the lines of 'Well guys, you saw how much family means to us... we'll be updating once a week from now on'.

And I may as well moan about this too: the incongruity of a family special being front-ended by an advert for pizza pockets or whatever, is probably the singlemost disappointing thing I've seen associated with PA. Ever.

Is this a joke? Because there's no way you can be serious. An ad for pizza pockets has you this upset? You are dead serious right now, you are going to look me in the eye and say this was a serious comment? I hope you aren't suicidal. Are you going to be okay? Do you need a hug, a glass of water? Are you going to be okay?

Jesus, come on.

Wait, maybe it's not that bad.

If PA has never been disappointing to him, than anything even remotely disappointing, no matter how insignificant, is by definition the most disappointing thing he's ever seen associated with PA. And since it is so insignificant, one could take that as a huge compliment to PA.

BoomShake on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    or the chimadilla
    or the quesarito

Or Carrot Cake soup. Truly part of a nutritious, wholesome, homespun American Meal.

Man, listen. We made carrot cake soup once. It turned into this horrible dryish mush that stuck in your throat. It was great when you got a bit with frosting on, but man -

it wasn't worth the risk

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Look, if they want to continue to provide me with a free product that I find this much value in, they can try to sell me hot cups of fart for all I care, they got bills to pay and they've always been up front with their advertising policy on their front page, but they're pumping out thousands of times more bandwidth to deliver this video, so whatever they gotta do is fine. They are, first and foremost, a business, after all.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • CuriousPencilCuriousPencil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Robert thank you for replying, I do understand, almost entirely; I guess I was just being the person who said 'We notice' is all. I'm delighted that your FMCG advertisers might slowly accept there may be a demographic modicum of 'humbug' not 'yum', given the discerning audience you're targeting. And I fully realise that my drawing attention to it has drawn further attention to it, so you can send my shill-commission to Child's Play, or whichever recipient of which may be devoted to [insert inevitable healthy-living / childhood obesity jibe here].

The production and streaming costs of PATV must be huge I grant you (yes, how gracious), and yes I devour the behind-the-scenes it provides, but you must be ready now to batten hatches against the influx of offers from the fully-mainstream advertisers; I just felt I heard a little creak of a grasp in a glove of love letting go when I saw these junksnacknonsense ads is all. Luckily we're inured to these approaches in most of our media channels, and this just ranks PATV with the rest of the shitty-ad front-ended features .

Sorry to partypoop, but I do (mostly) understand.
    Mostly.

CuriousPencil on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The jpeg business is harsh.

MKR on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I cannot stop listening to the failotron tune at the end of this episode. Even when it's not playing, I'm hearing it.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    This series has really cemented for me what amazing, wonderful people Mike, Jerry, Robert, and everyone else at PA are. This is the only community that I've ever felt proud to be a part of.

Considering that, I'm happy to watch a commercial about cereal if it helps them pay for all the awesome content they give away on a daily basis.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • pinkgimppinkgimp Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    i want the PA The Series soundtrack!
    making a compilation with all the songs might be tuff because of the legal stuff... be it would be awesome.

pinkgimp on
    edited August 2010
    Iolo wrote: »
    Fiber One bars are actually a healthy snack alternative for a high fiber diet, not junk food.

No. These are candy bars marketed as health food.

product_image.aspx?catID=23347&itemID=24420

You don't put High Maltose Corn Syrup in healthy snacks.

If it pays the bills it pays the bills. I don't look to Penny Arcade, whose culinary exploits include pocky, Cinnabon and Meef Chewbaccas, for dietary guidance. CuriousPencil raises a valid point and is allowed to address it respectfully. He got an actual response from Khoo, who certainly doesn't need your postscript to make his point.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of High Fructose Corn Syrup. High Maltose Corn Syrup is a product that is used in an effort to move away from High Fructose Corn Syrup by health food manufacturers. Unlike HFCN, HMCN contains a sweetener (Maltose) that is found commonly in nature. Consumed in moderation in conjunction with a balanced diet, as snacks are intended to be, it is not considered harmful to the human body at all, and is about half as sweet as HFCN. CP's point is less than valid, as his statement about the "only good games" advert policy and any other form of advertising are not related in any way. That policy was not only established before PATV was ever considered, but if i understand it correctly, they're able to pick and choose games by experiencing them directly, which is far from likely with random food advertisements done through an ad agency. And even assuming he did have a valid point, am I then not aloud to show my support for Khoo by making my own point about how CP is making suppositions about penny arcade advertising practices on a flawed basis?

Edit: I should add that Fructose is also an ingredient, but Fructose its self is -also- a naturally occurring monosaccharide found in many naturally sweet foods, including honey and many types of fruits.

ColeT on
    225px-RedHat.svg.png
    edited August 2010
    The point is that 25% of that bar is sugar. That's a lot, no matter what variety. Especially for something marketed as a health food.

MKR on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2010
    this just ranks PATV with the rest of the adblocked.

Please do not use our forum bandwidth to talk about the methods you use to prevent us being able to pay for our site. It is monumentally rude. Thank you.

Tube on
    edited August 2010
    It's 10 grams of sugar(s), which equates roughly to 40-60 calories, which in a normal 2k calorie diet is around 2.5% of your daily caloric intake. If you're on a high fiber diet, the foods you eat will often be sugar heavy, because many fiber heavy foods also contain high amounts of natural glucose. It's not an abnormal sugar level, particularly for a snack food, which one -expects- to be heavy in sugar.

ColeT on
    225px-RedHat.svg.png
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wish this discussion made it into the show.

644211055_e9QbE-L.jpg

Also, I am trapped in the repeatedly clicking "Back" trawl of PA comics. I don't think I can stop until I get to The Sin of Long Load times.

It's almost 1am and I have work tomorrow.

Help me.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
    edited August 2010
    I wish this discussion made it into the show.

644211055_e9QbE-L.jpg

Also, I am trapped in the repeatedly clicking "Back" trawl of PA comics. I don't think I can stop until I get to The Sin of Long Load times.

It's almost 1am and I have work tomorrow.

Help me.

This is your boss telling you to go to bed. The proper functioning of every cog is essential.

MKR on
  • SlightlySlightly Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    ...the invention of peanuts that come out of the shell already covered in chocolate...

Holy hell, Slightly wants.

Edit: corrected quote, credit given where credit due. Still waiting for the autochoconuts.

Slightly on
    edited August 2010
    Slightly wrote: »
    ...the invention of peanuts that come out of the shell already covered in chocolate...

Holy hell, Slightly wants.

heeyyy i'm the one that wrote that...

KalTorak on
  • AnnoraAnnora Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    smof wrote: »
    I've never had pizza pockets. Are they really crummy or something? They sound quite tasty,

Pizza Pockets are delicious pastries filled with pizza toppings. If made properly (in an oven or toaster oven), the outside is slightly crispy (not crumbly at all), and the inside is full of warm delicious pizza entrails. If you throw them in the microwave, the outside is kind of soggy and bleh. It's like taking a piece of pizza and rolling it into a ball.

Annora on
    edited August 2010
    There is basically no way to cook a pizza pocket that does not make the filling burning-lava-hot.

KalTorak on
  • AnnoraAnnora Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Indeed, that's why I make it and leave it alone for 5 minutes before consumption. No more burning my tastebuds off!

I'm surprised this isn't a comic already.

Annora on
    edited August 2010
    There is basically no way to cook a pizza pocket that does not make the filling burning-lava-hot.

Burning lava hot most of the way through, and then there's always a chunk of it that's still frozen in the middle. It's the worlds worst snack.

ColeT on
    225px-RedHat.svg.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Burning lava hot most of the way through, and then there's always a chunk of it that's still frozen in the middle. It's the worlds worst snack.

If you let it sit, not only will the super hot parts cool, the frozen part will melt and warm up

Speed Racer on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Khoo didn't you look at the poll? More people buy PC stuff than food. Showing them wheaties ads is missing you target audience!

Blake T on
    edited August 2010
    this just ranks PATV with the rest of the [].

Please do not use our forum bandwidth to talk about the methods you use to prevent us being able to pay for our site. It is monumentally rude. Thank you.

Sorry, that was meant as a figure of speech, not a product plug, my apologies.

CuriousPencil on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Finally just watched this, and it was a perfect way to end the season. Such a wonderful series, and I can't wait for the DVD.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Jesus, come on.

A GLASS OF WATER?! YOU BITE YOUR THUMB AT ME, SIR!

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    edited August 2010
    BoomShake wrote: »

Jesus, come on.

Wait, maybe it's not that bad.

If PA has never been disappointing to him, than anything even remotely disappointing, no matter how insignificant, is by definition the most disappointing thing he's ever seen associated with PA. And since it is so insignificant, one could take that as a huge compliment to PA.

RogerWilco - thanks for the concern, BoomShake, for reasoning my concern correctly into a backhanded compliment & BRT for spinning my language centuries into the past. My comment was serious, yes; it's entirely none of my business, which perversely is advertising, which means I've spent 20 years learning how to make people buy shit they don't need. It's a fuckawful industry of liars for hire, and any haven away from it is a welcome one. Seeing PA turn its coffers to revenue streams outside the gaming world was just a shock is all, a code-shift, and it's none of my business, I was just waving my daffodil in the poppy sea.

CuriousPencil on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm trying to think of a way to word my confusion at that post, but it's just not coming to me.

Adus on
This discussion has been closed.