As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX Prime Cookie/Biscuit Brigade 2010!

• ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hypatia.... ~bats Eyelashes~ Caan you make me more snickerdoodles?

Also Green Tea Cookies are fucking fantastic.

ZeroHourHero on
  • SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Count me in for baking this year! I won't be able to attend between moving and starting my new job, but I would love to bake and ship cookies to someone in the Seattle area who is willing to take them. :)

<3 you all!

SergeantAuberie on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hypatia.... ~bats Eyelashes~ Caan you make me more snickerdoodles?

Also Green Tea Cookies are fucking fantastic.

I second the Green Tea cookies. They're delicious.

Heleor on
    edited July 2010
    Im making not just any cookies, but Childs Play Sugar Cookies:
    scaled.php?tn=0&server=840&filename=19q.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

That is the cookie cutter in progress.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hypatia wrote: »
    The potato chip cookies turned out really well, I'd like to make another weird cookie to bring along but am having trouble deciding between Honey cookies, Bean cookies, Pumpkin cookies, or Green Tea cookies...unless anyone has a really good bizarre cookie recipe that they already know is pretty good? :)

BEER COOKIES! sounds strange but tastes very good, and no alcohol as its all burned off due to the reduction.

LINK! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ultimate-recipe-showdown/white-beer-cookies-recipe/index.html

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Update: Cookie Cutter Complete, going to make two so that it goes faster the day before PAX when I make them all.
    scaled.php?tn=0&server=836&filename=46h.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

ZeroHourHero on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, that's excellent Zero! That'll be epic!!!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • ShigglesShiggles Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Update: Cookie Cutter Complete, going to make two so that it goes faster the day before PAX when I make them all.

OH EM GEE!
    That is so awesome! :mrgreen:
    ZeroHourHero you are my hero.

Shiggles on
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So we have decided on the other cookie to make for Friday (and if there are any left overs for Saturday), they will be Sin Droppings (non-bake oatmeal cookies). So the school girls and men in kilts will be distributing Joygasms (chocolate chip cookies) and Sin Droppings (non-bake oatmeal cookies) on Friday (possibly Saturday too), hope we sell out.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2010
    That's great! It sounds like things are shaping up well!

VThornheart on
  • griftgrift [E] - Registration Table NYCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    just wanted to say that you guys are AWESOME! I'd volunteer but I'm lazy. Keep up the good work!!

grift on
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just popping a note in here. I'll be definitely cooking still. I'm planning Chocolate Chip and something else I haven't yet decided on. I'm also harassing everyone local I know that cooks to donate stuff. I will still however need someone I can ship things to prior to PAX. I figure I'll drop it in the mail on August 30th and send it priority mail or something equally speedy.

I know someone mentioned before they could accept a shipment. If not I'll check with one person I know who lives in Seattle. If I get the response I'm hoping from people I know there is no way this will fit in a carry on.

If anyone is in the DC/MD/VA area and wants to donate to the stuff being shipped out let me know! I'm more then happy to send stuff along.

ransim on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ransim wrote: »
    If anyone is in the DC/MD/VA area and wants to donate to the stuff being shipped out let me know! I'm more then happy to send stuff along.

I live in Seattle and I wouldn't mind accepting a package. I live in an apartment that handles all the signing and such for me, so I wouldn't even be inconvenienced! You'd probably have to pick it up before or during the Pre-PAX dinner, though.

Heleor on
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    ransim wrote: »

I live in Seattle and I wouldn't mind accepting a package. I live in an apartment that handles all the signing and such for me, so I wouldn't even be inconvenienced! You'd probably have to pick it up before or during the Pre-PAX dinner, though.

We'll be getting into the airport on Thursday Sept 2 @ 10:15 PM.

I think I remember looking and seeing we were going to be getting in to late for the dinner. Yeah i just checked to be sure, its 5-8 on Thursday.

ransim on
  • chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey, just checking in with everyone, wanting to see how many people are baking and/or distributing. I'll send out an email to everyone on the google groups list to see how many are participating, and to hopefully make a contact list for those of you that will be at PAX.

I'm still planning on baking some cookies for you guys.

Also, I just read (even though its old news) that the main theatre is off-site. I'll email Khoo and find out if they have any kind of crazy food-service agreement there that we need to be careful of.

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okay, here's a copy/paste of the email I just sent to the google group. If you want to be in on the discussion, visit http://groups.google.com/group/cookiebrigade?hl=en and apply for membership to be included!

Hey everyone!!! And hello to all of the people who have joined this group in the last 2 months or so, its nice to have you!

I will not be at this years' PAX, but I am still going to try to help the rest of you get organized so that we can rock and roll and collect LOTS of money!!! So here goes...

1) Contact list
    If you are planning on participating this year in ANY way, pay attention :)
    In order to get an idea of how many people we have, I would appreciate anyone who is baking and/or distributing to email me (chibidani at gmail.com) with the following info:
    Name:
    Handle:
    Role: (baking, distributing, both)
    Anticipated arrival time:
    Email:
    Cell #:
    Twitter: (if you have it)

I will make up a google doc spreadsheet that members of this group can access.

2) Convention Centrer Rules
    The convention center has a food service agreement. This means that unless you are a restaurant or are an employee of the food service company, you are NOT allowed to sell food in the center. This rule extends to the new off-site main theater as well. Therefore, we are not selling cookies. We are giving away cookies while also collecting donations for Child's Play. We also need to be aware of management types, and of doing cookie distribution right next to places that sell food legitimately... in other words, be aware of your surroundings and be inconspicuous.

3) Buttons
    The last 2 PAX Primes we have had buttons that people can get if they donate extra to Child's Play (usually for $5 or more). Brigadiers have fronted the cost of this, which is awesome. I think we have purchased 500 or so buttons each time, though I know I have about 50 sitting in my closet for no reason.... Do we want to do this again this year?

4) Leadership, Meet-ups and BYOC
    In the past we have had lots of trouble meeting up to distribute cookies and buttons, and then to collect money. We need to plan this better, somehow, though I think it might be even more difficult given there will be two queues this year. There have traditionally been people in BYOC that are part of the brigade, does anyone have a BYOC spot this year? Also, is there anyone willing to be a "leader" at PAX since I won't be there?

Please discuss this, and bring up anything you think I may have missed.

Thanks, you guys all rock!

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    chibidani wrote: »
    1) Contact list

4) Leadership, Meet-ups and BYOC
    In the past we have had lots of trouble meeting up to distribute cookies and buttons, and then to collect money. We need to plan this better, somehow, though I think it might be even more difficult given there will be two queues this year. There have traditionally been people in BYOC that are part of the brigade, does anyone have a BYOC spot this year? Also, is there anyone willing to be a "leader" at PAX since I won't be there?

Well, um...I guess I thought VT and I were doing these with the website, the Google Doc we'd set up (not shared though because some people have mentioned they don't want their info distributed to everyone), and with the confirmation e-mails and PMs we've been doing. BUT: If people aren't happy with what we've been doing though and/or someone else wants to do it instead (or you want to do this all remotely chibidani), I'd definitely be happy to turn it everything over to them so I don't have to worry about it anymore. :) Mostly I'm just really confused now!

Hypatia on
  • itchbayitchbay Self-Rescuing Princess Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think this is my first time chirping up on this thread, though I've been following it for a while. A girlfriend and I have been kicking around some ideas for ways to help raise funds for Child's Play without involving cookies (for various reasons -- not that cookies aren't delicious), and one idea we've become fond of is to sell buttons.

The button I'm working on right now is for our group of friends, called the Self-Rescuing Princess Society, or the SRPS. We have other ideas, but not sure if we'll be able to realize them before Sept.

Do you all think that this is something that might work in conjunction with the Cookie Brigade's efforts? I don't want to cut in on your action in anyway. Just thought it might be nice to offer up more goodies.

itchbay on
    Not *that* kind of princess.
  • KytarowolfKytarowolf Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Hey all! I helped at PAX Prime 2009 and I am really looking forward to helping out again. I'm coming from San Francisco with Nemaihne on the train (I promise I didn't mean to rhyme). I was hoping to do some giving of cookies on the train again as well as at PAX proper. I'm not sure what recipes I will end up doing yet, but it will be great! Also, I like to distribute as well, so when the time comes you can call on me to help out. I"m following cookiebrigade on twitter still - is that mode of communication going to be used again?

So...yeah. I don't generally post on the forums, but I wanted to touch base with you all. :) Yay PAX!

((BTW - my husband SlickShughes made the candied bacon chocolate chip cookies last year - they barely made it past the train! ))

Kytarowolf on
    edited July 2010
    Kytarowolf wrote: »

((BTW - my husband SlickShughes made the candied bacon chocolate chip cookies last year - they barely made it past the train! ))

I want those.... so bad, didnt have them before and they sound amazing.

ZeroHourHero on
    edited July 2010
    itchbay wrote: »
    I think this is my first time chirping up on this thread, though I've been following it for a while. A girlfriend and I have been kicking around some ideas for ways to help raise funds for Child's Play without involving cookies (for various reasons -- not that cookies aren't delicious), and one idea we've become fond of is to sell buttons.

The button I'm working on right now is for our group of friends, called the Self-Rescuing Princess Society, or the SRPS. We have other ideas, but not sure if we'll be able to realize them before Sept.

Do you all think that this is something that might work in conjunction with the Cookie Brigade's efforts? I don't want to cut in on your action in anyway. Just thought it might be nice to offer up more goodies.

In my opinion, the more that we can do for Child's Play, the better! If you wanted to coordinate your efforts with the Brigade, I personally would see absolutely no problem with that. The one advice I'd give is that, instead of selling the buttons, you give them away and ask for a donation. There's less of a chance that some "official" vendor will be upset by it if that's the situation. That's what the Cookie Brigade does, and it's not steered us wrong yet. =)

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm of the opinion that we give away cookies in this manner: giving away different kinds of buttons would be an equally awesome approach, and everyone loves buttons! I could definitely picture our distributors giving away your buttons along with cookies, and I could also picture these buttons being its own fundraising effort... which of those two approaches is better, I'm not sure. (When push comes to shove, I'm more of a workhorse than an idea person... there's probably smarter people than me in this chat who would have good reasons for/against making it part of the Cookie Brigade =) ) But my gut tells me that the button idea would be good for Child's Play, and as such one of those approaches should definitely be taken up and the idea put into implementation!

Also, Kytarowolf: welcome back, it's great to have you on the team again this year! We've got to get our organizing together for figuring out how to inform our distributors... I believe that Hypatia is on that as we speak! Sign up over at the website mentioned in the OP as a distributor, and hopefully we should be able to make this happen! =)

VThornheart on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't take part this year, but I'll be rooting you guys on like mad.

But seriously, listen to what VT said. For all sorts of legal, financial, and other reasons, it's really important to remember that you are giving away cookies and, in a separate act, taking donations for Child's Play.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited July 2010
    I'll miss you in the Brigade Jon, but I hope you have a blast enforcing!

With all the crazy life stuff going on lately, I've not been on the ball as far as getting in touch with Hypatia and finding out where everything's at... Hypatia, I'm gonna try and get a hold of you this weekend! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help prepare!

VThornheart on
    edited July 2010
    If you've signed up on the website you should have gotten a welcome e-mail with a promise to follow up with meeting times/locations once the schedule for PAX has been published.

This weekend I will be hitting up the fabric store to rig together a better flag for the meetings, and VT, get a hold of me so we can discuss a few other things!

Hypatia on
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey guys. I'll be flying in from England, but I'd like to offer to buy and bring some classic English bikkies (Jaffa Cakes and my personal favourite: Chocolate Caramel Digestives)

MelesMeles on
    edited July 2010
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    Hey guys. I'll be flying in from England, but I'd like to offer to buy and bring some classic English bikkies (Jaffa Cakes and my personal favourite: Chocolate Caramel Digestives)
    '

Frys Turkish Delight and Cadbury cream might also go over well... yea other people might love them and try to take them... not me though nooo :winky:

ZeroHourHero on
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    '

Frys Turkish Delight and Cadbury cream might also go over well... yea other people might love them and try to take them... not me though nooo :winky:

I take this opportunity to register my complete belief in your statement. I will be certain to trust you to guard the turkish delight and cadburys whilst I walk away entirely unsuspecting that anything untoward might happen.

MelesMeles on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Big Turk (chocolate covered Turkish Delight) is pretty tasty. I've always wanted to try Jaffa Cakes though. Looks delicious.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hello all =) I registered on the website and sent an email to chibidani so I am officially part of the team!

My boyfriend and I will be baking and distributing and are looking forward to it a lot!

I just have a few questions

1. Will there be buttons or anything given to us to show that we will be part of the brigade and people should come to us or should we make our own?

2. Anyone have any tips as far as carrying the cookies around the event? Any holder ideas like vendors have in sports stadium or just carry a backpack?

3. Finally, what is the best way to get people to come and donate while you pass out cookies? Hold up cookies and shout "come and get em!" or what? lol.

Thank you for the help and we look forward to joining the team to raise money for a good cause :mrgreen:

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Hi! It's great to have you on the team! Let me try to help clarify:

1) We're working on buttons. I'm running into personal problems that are causing unfortunate impedements... but we're going to find a way. There will be distributor buttons and buttons you can give people for donations.

2) I've gone through 3 iterations now of various containers, and by far the best was the latest: basically, turn one of those hanging shoe holder cloth things you find at Target into a belt. It's extremely light, extremely portable, completely foldable, and holds way more cookies than even a giant box... and you get both hands free to be a cookie distributing machine. I'll be bringing this device again.

A lot of people like to go more covert than me though, and just bring backpacks filled with goodies: and that works too!

3) Well, you'll want to explain the gist of what you're doing... you may get some puzzled looks, especially from new people and people who question whether you're legitimate or not. Eventually though, someone will grab one... and then everyone realizes it's not poisoned or something and just goes to town on it. That always seems to be the way it goes. Run through lines of people waiting for stuff, that's the best places I think.

VThornheart on
  • JazJaz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey guys, my name is Jazzy! I helped out last year as the Princess Rosalina, and would love to help out again. Im sure we will meet up in the lines when I get there with my mounts of cookies. Hope to see you all again!

<3 Jazzy

Jaz on
  • JazJaz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also!! Last year we came up with a LOT of gluten/Lactose/diabetic/ EVERYTHING. If you have a plastic tube and a backpack, it works really well for fair distribution. I always have the gluten and nut and sugar free cookies seperate and in easy to read labels containers. I haven't heard of a nut allergy incedent, and I DON"T WANT TO!

Good luck with transportation!

Jaz on
    edited August 2010
    I forgot my last question when I wrote last but I remembered it now....sorry guys lol

I am going to be cosplaying every day of PAX. (one day as a little sister from bioshock and the other two days have not been fully decided) Do you think this will cause any problems?

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
  • AtallaAtalla Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hi all,

First time to PAX and I love to bake. I would like to help out by baking a few cookies, but I would have to ship them to someone local, or who has a bit of room in their automobile. You see I will be coming from Hawaii and can't carry food items off the islands, but I can ship them off the island. Any ideas or anyone willing to lend a hand?

Thanks in advance

Atalla on
    edited August 2010
    I forgot my last question when I wrote last but I remembered it now....sorry guys lol

I am going to be cosplaying every day of PAX. (one day as a little sister from bioshock and the other two days have not been fully decided) Do you think this will cause any problems?
    Our group is cosplaying the entire weekend too. The first day, we want to try to get them all done, but might need to lead into the next day. Matters how much you bake. First day we are handing out with 9 school girls and 4 men in kilts. If it extends to Saturday, I will be moogling them out.

hml151 on
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010
    On the cosplaying thing: I don't think cosplaying should have any effect on your ability to distribute delicious cookies, at least, I haven't heard of anyone having any problems in the past

For those who need to ship things: Check with your hotel, I'm moderately sure that a majority of them will let you ship to yourself at the hotel and if not, check with Heleor who kindly posted in the thread that they could receive packages and are in Seattle (if that's ok with you Heleor!)

Hypatia on
    edited August 2010
    If it helps, I cosplayed as an Engineer for PAX '09 as a disguise for the purpose of brigadeering. It worked pretty well, though toting around a toolbox filled with cookies was not nearly as convenient as I imagined it would be. But yeah, cosplay won't cause a problem whatsoever: if anything, it may actually attract people to your cookie giving! =)

VThornheart on
  • psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey all, I just signed up to assemble a bunch of cookies.

I don't bake, but I make, here's an image (not mine, just google searched) of for what I'm on the take:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/hamburger-cookies/Detail.aspx

Nilla Wafers - bun
    Thin Mints/Peppermint Patties - burger
    Red frosting - ketchup
    Coconut dyed green - lettuce

psychopez on
    “Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
    edited August 2010
    Why hello hml151 school girl goodness! I just noticed you were posting too a little after I posted that =)

I am hoping being dressed up I will attract more people over and hopefully the button will be a stand out against the costume so when they look they will see both and think "Oh neat costume! And omg! She is passing out cookies too!"

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    edited August 2010
    Why hello hml151 school girl goodness! I just noticed you were posting too a little after I posted that =)

I am hoping being dressed up I will attract more people over and hopefully the button will be a stand out against the costume so when they look they will see both and think "Oh neat costume! And omg! She is passing out cookies too!"
    That's the goal is to attract as many people to donate to Child's Play. Look forward to meeting you.

hml151 on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.