As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 8-4-10: The Meat is Mine!!!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Graphic Violence
Marvel Universe vs. The Punisher #1, pick this book up as penance for not buying Doomwar you savages, best characterization of Punisher since Ennis or Dixon:

muvp1a.jpg

muvp1b.jpg

muvp1c.jpg

muvp1d.jpg

muvp1e.jpg

muvp1f.jpg

Frank killed Deadpool 33 times but he kept coming back, and is the only one who talks still. The last time he killed him he chopped him up and buried him in different places.

It's like Marvel Zombies #1 only a thousand times better.

TexiKen on

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Marvel Universe vs. The Punisher #1, pick this book up as penance for not buying Doomwar you savages, best characterization of Punisher since Ennis or Dixon:

muvp1a.jpg

muvp1b.jpg

muvp1c.jpg

muvp1d.jpg

muvp1e.jpg

muvp1f.jpg

Frank killed Deadpool 33 times but he kept coming back, and is the only one who talks still. The last time he killed him he chopped him up and buried him in different places.

It's like Marvel Zombies #1 only a thousand times better.

That looks really cool. Though the title seems a bit misleading considering half the marvel universe already seems to be dead in those recap pages. What's the thrust of the story?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Punisher stopped some russian mafia guys from selling an airborne primal virus, but got exposed to it so much he can't be affected. It spread in the air making 99% of the world these mindless killers (but not zombies). Frank is trying to track down subject zero (Spider-Man) in NYC, and has killed already about 50 heroes, including DD and the X-Men and most of the Avengers.

He's been doing this for 1814 days so far

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Punisher stopped some russian mafia guys from selling an airborne primal virus, but got exposed to it so much he can't be affected. It spread in the air making 99% of the world these mindless killers (but not zombies). Frank is trying to track down subject zero (Spider-Man) in NYC, and has killed already about 50 heroes, including DD and the X-Men and most of the Avengers.

He's been doing this for 1814 days so far

I wonder if he gets bored of it? Like, he's walking along, enjoying the scenery, when "Rage Monkey D-List superhero" appears out of the forest, Frank shoots him absent-minded while he eats a sammich. Ho hum.

On-topic-

Not exactly a new MotW, but finally got my local library to get all the trades for Bone and up to date for the B.P.R.D. series.

Getting to read through Bone from start to finish in one sitting is an awesome experience. Great series.

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Secret Six #24 is the start of a new arc, and good as always. But man is it violent, and has some panels that are kind of like whoa, know what I am saying?

And there is nothing on the cover or in the book saying it is for people over 13 or some kind of rating system, which surprises me.

It's almost a Wild West retelling of the first arc a little bit, then a bit like everyone got trapped in an Omega Sanction:

ss24a.jpg

ss24b.jpg

ss24c.jpg

ss24d.jpg

ss24e.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And Doomwar #6 ends the best mini-series Marvel has made since Annihilation.

And it has a pretty big plot point that will probably be ignored by Bendis, Fraction et al:

dw6b.jpg

dw6c.jpg

dw6d.jpg

Oh that crazy Deadpool!

dw6e.jpg

So no more Vibranium, anywhere. T'Challa realized it was the key problem that made Wakanda such dicks to the world, so he wants them to be better. This means Cap's shield should be a lot weaker, but I feel pretty confident this will never be dealt with.

So far 3 really good books this week.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And Doomwar #6 ends the best mini-series Marvel has made since Annihilation.

And it has a pretty big plot point that will probably be ignored by Bendis, Fraction et al:

dw6b.jpg

dw6c.jpg

dw6d.jpg

Oh that crazy Deadpool!

dw6e.jpg

So no more Vibranium, anywhere. T'Challa realized it was the key problem that made Wakanda such dicks to the world, so he wants them to be better. This means Cap's shield should be a lot weaker, but I feel pretty confident this will never be dealt with.

So far 3 really good books this week.

Nah, they'll just say the shield is a unique alloy that is unaffected.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Did anybody pick up The Rage of Thor? Is it worth my cash-money?

Delduwath on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Secret Six was weird. Not bad, but it's just kind of strange to drop this little alternate timeline/Elseworlds story into the series right after Ostrander did a done-in-one fill-in, which itself was following a storyline that ended on a bit of a cliffhanger.

Munch on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That is a pretty cool change that could really effect Wakanda for a long time, and for the better.

Langly on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, Daredevil is really losing it as far as Shadowlands is concerned.
    And since when was the Ghost Rider ever a "summonable" demon, and how exactly is he one of the Hand's greatest enemies? Does the Ghost Rider and the Hand have a history that I missed somewhere?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Who's on who's side in regards to Shadowland?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I . . . I'm not 100% to be honest with you.
    But the way things are going it seems like it's going to be everyone versus DD and the Hand. Wilson Fisk is the one who summoned the Ghost Rider against Daredevil, and he has approached Cage and Iron Fist for a temporary truce so that everyone can focus on taking down Murdock. But it's hard to say because most of the other heroes are trying to talk him down, and some even agree with what he's doing on some levels.

The Punisher remains a wild card for the moment. But one can't help but wonder if it's more in his character to side with Matt than all the others.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well that's kind of weak.
    It's basically all the people who won't die because they're bigger character against a bunch of dime a dozen ninjas

And in regards to Punisher being on Matt's team, there was something cool in MU vs. the Punisher:

Matt was eating a deer and Frank sniped him from yards away, and then even though it was a clean kill shot him six more times point blank because he never liked him. I chuckled

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am really sold on some of these minis. Doomwar and MU vs the Punisher are definite buys for me, and I might pick up Shadowland when that hits trade as well.

How many Ultimate Collections of Bendis and Brubaker Daredevil will there be total when they catch up?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    from Ultimate Comic Avengers 2 #6
    uca261.png
    uca262.png

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Millar must not believe Yu could convey Luke Cage guy riding Ghost Rider's bike so he had to say it.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Doomwar won the week for me. best written Doom i've ever read

runner-up is Van Lente's story in Deadpool #1000. the rest of the book is just meh to ok but that one story is fantastic

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    uca261.png
    uca262.png

This was my Probably Unintentional Moment of the Week. I honestly can't remember the last time I found anything as funny as that first panel on the second page. The idea of someone performing an action and narrating that action at the same time is hilarious to me, especially when it's so out of place (like, I wouldn't bat an eye if I were reading a Silver Age book and this happened).

That's not Luke Cage, by the way. That's the Hulk. The first Hulk. Oh, what do you mean you've "never heard of the first Hulk, and thought that Banner was the first one"?

Yeah.

Not as thrilled by this as I was by Ultimates vol 1 and 2.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hnrrr.

Hellboy #2 The Storm.

Gorgeous book. Finally beginning to twist some threads from BPRD back into Hellboy's own story.

Hellboy gets impaled. Again. To no apparent damage. I swear Mignola's done this like five times now since The Island. And then someone says 'Too Late' again.

Sometimes this book is amazing. Sometimes the dialogue/action reads like Mignola's got a wheel he spins with phrases and actions on it.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, I can never keep Ultimate Aventers and Ultimate Ultimates straight anymore.

Guess it doesn't matter, as they both kinda suck I think. I mean, what the hell happened to Millar? Or was Hitch art that good that it blinded me from the horrible, horrible storytelling?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I thought Ultimates 1 was a really, really good over-the-top, macho, "action fuck yeah" comic. It's still one of my favorites, provided that you accept that the people you are reading about are all socially dysfunctional in some way.

Ultimates 2 I was less pleased with, mostly because it revolved around politics a lot, and I'm allergic to politics. Also, it was less "action fuck yeah" and more "America fuck yeah". I love my country as much as any jingoist jerk, but I thought Ultimates 2 was a tad overbearing. Still, it had some pretty great moments (if I remember correctly, Hawkeye's nail-flinging scene was in this volume. That's one of my most favorite moments of badassery in any comic, ever).

Ultimate Avengers did not impress me. I just didn't feel like the moments were as over-the-top epic as those in Ultimates 1 and 2, and it's been basically slipping into over-the-top ridiculous territory pretty steadily. But, this is not the place for bitching.

I am not reading Ultimate Ultimates because I have read the beginning of Ultimates 3. "Fool me once", Loeb.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    you don't love America enough

therefore, you are a commie

and I hate commies

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well there is something for saying Mark Millar trying to write awesome Americans kicking ass and failing because he's a Scot.

Would you want Millar to write USAgent, TLB? That would be treason. He already screwed over Captain America, and then he comes after the better star spangled hero.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    like I'd ever let a non-American get away with writing USAgent

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Secret Six was weird. Not bad, but it's just kind of strange to drop this little alternate timeline/Elseworlds story into the series right after Ostrander did a done-in-one fill-in, which itself was following a storyline that ended on a bit of a cliffhanger.

Yeah

I mean, I liked it a lot. But I don't see why they're taking so long to get back to Bane's Secret Six storyline

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Nothing about it in the issue mentions it's an elseworlds or what if type story, or even it being a dream by Ragdoll (like Ragdoll Dreams! awww yeah).

And it was drawn by Calafiore, the regular artist. What if the Ostrander fill-in was added at the last minute and that's what pushed this fill-in back? I don't know.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    seriously guys

I have all of secret six coming in the mail

and also suicide squad 67

how jazzed should I be

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You should be doing jazz hands right now.

And if you don't like the Ragdoll Dreams short you might as well get on a boat to China.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Omg Tex,your new sig, what mini marvels had firestar/iceman!! I'm picturing a hawkeye and his amazing friends and all kinds of wonderful!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    first two trades of secret six arrived today

the original mini and volume 1

volume 2 arrives tomorrow

and sometime next week, issue 15 - 24 are coming

Gonna read them right now

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wait, you didn't even read the second mini series? TLB, man, that's just not something I expected from you brah.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I ain't read any secret six ever

I ain't even read Villains United

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010

You don't need to read Villains United but it is worth checking out too.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    really, I kinda gave up on DC after Identity Crisis

only a couple books like Dixon coming back to Robin, Blue Beetle, JSA and Booster Gold tickled my fancy until Blue Beetle was canceled, Dixon got fired, (I read the Niecieza Robin, though), JSA decided to be a gigantic prequel to Kingdom Come, and Booster Gold got terrible. It takes a lot for me to even look at a DC book anymore.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's just, Secret Six and all the minis are pretty much TLB guaranteed picks. Especially the way you talk about Suicide Squad (you did read that mini series, From the Ashes though, right?)

Nicieza Red Robin is good, Dixon good. I mean he's got the Tim/Dick interaction down to a T.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I been meaning to start reading his Red Robin

I love Fabian Niecieza

Also how many Secret Six minis are there

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Villains United
    Secret Six: Six Degrees of Devastation
    Birds of Prey: Dead of Winter (it's pretty much half a Secret Six book)

And then the current series.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    also hell yes I read the Suicide Squad mini

I still have to read the good Checkmate for my Amanda Waller needs

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    uca261.png
    uca262.png

That's not the final art right? Those colours only look like flats.

NODe on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Since you guys are talking about it, would it be worth picking up Red Robin in trade? Were Yost's stories good?

HadjiQuest on