As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Borderlands: OLD thread is OLD

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The quest design is really starting to piss me off.

"You want the thingy? Okay, but first go clear across the map and kill a pack of bandits and shit".
    ---> walks to China and kills pack of bandits and shit.

"Wow, you surivived that? Fine, sure, but first I need you to pick me up a case of beer. That you scavenge from bandit corpses. Clear across the map in another zone".
    --> Takes 7 hour flight to nowhere, massacres motherfuckers for beer.

"Well, thanks I guess. Oh, your thingy, right. Yeah, some thug beat the shit out of me and stole it. If you kill him you can have it, I guess. Assuming he hasn't sold it/smoked it/lost it/burned it/traded it for hookers yet. He lives out in West Bumblefuck, two zone changes away, or something. I'm not sure."
    --> RAGE!!

JihadJesus on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm playing as a sniper. Ammo is an issue right now. I finally got a revolver.

Couscous on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    well, crazy earl is just an asshole

Nerdgasmic on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Really, I'd probably like the game about 10x more if they gave you a "fuck this fetch quest, I'll just shoot you in your stupid face and take the shitty quest reward" option.

JihadJesus on
  • kalkal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The best thing about Earl is his best friend in the Trash Coast.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Doesn't he also have all of Tannis' underwear?

DogEight on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Really, I'd probably like the game about 10x more if they gave you a "fuck this fetch quest, I'll just shoot you in your stupid face and take the shitty quest reward" option.

have you ever played anything like Diablo 2? cause goddamn. the ability to get a vehicle in Borderlands pretty much anywhere makes the fetching problem a lot less worse.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah between fast travel and vehicles (and well placed Scooter stations) it's not so bad doing fetch quests.

I find myself really enjoying the Leader class mod for Roland. I could do without the Grit ability, but it's caused me to do a turret build which I am actually enjoying quite a bit. I used to always roll with Support Gunner because of ammo regen, but that's not really an issue at all with a point in supply drops.

Weapon proficiency also seems a little weird. I powerleveled my Siren and didn't even pick up a 2nd weapon before doing so, leaving me with the newbie SMG the entire time. I think my SMG proficiency went to level 21, but since I've gone back to the actual game I haven't been able to improve anything else. I've gone from 25 to 29 using the shotgun almost exclusively, but I haven't even reached Level 1 proficiency yet....

Zenitram on
  • VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    DogEight wrote: »
    Doesn't he also have all of Tannis' underwear?
    Also, he doesn't even have the artifact you're looking for.

So, if you were to shoot him in his stupid face and break down his door, your quest reward would be Tannis' underwear. And no artifact.

Which, well... I guess that may be the reward you were looking for anyway?

In Borderlands, the major plot rewards pretty much always require you to kill the guy who has it.

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If this is somehow repeatable, does that mean you could potentially have four cars out at one time?

well, not entirely sure about 4, but i've definitely had a bug where we had 3 cars out. it was fucking awesome.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Steam patch today adding achievements apparently.

Lep on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh yeah lookit that, they better ping what I've done when I fire it up.

SkutSkut on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lep wrote: »
    Steam patch today adding achievements apparently.

That makes me want to punch the developers in the face considering "OMG PC LEEAD SKEWWWW!"

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Oh yeah lookit that, they better ping what I've done when I fire it up.

Just checked, only works partially. So maybe half of your achievements will actually show up.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    oh my god a 12.5 fire rate Hellfire

it only took me until level 61

Elendil on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm getting real bad fps on my 55700hd right now. I had to install windows 7 and so I re-installed catalyst. That could be it. Maybe roll back to an older version? I think the previous one I stuck with was 10.2. Right now it's 10.7 :p

It's silly smooth with everything on low but the second dynamic shadows are turned on it loses it. Sucks because they make all the difference.

Big Classy on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    so I re-installed catalyst

Really bad fucking idea.

My drivers used to freeze up and crash after like a hour when I played Borderlands. Un-installed catalyst and driver problem went away and I got a better game on higher settings then when it was installed.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So anyone playing Borderlands who are starting out? I have a level 10 soldier, and that's about it. Looking for friends and fun, like long walks on mutated beach.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shit, I might just give it a shot. It'll have to wait until tomorrow. That said I haven't had freezing issues or anything as drastic as that, just a little performance hits. Knoxx is gonna be a nightmare to go through, it was laggy before but now......... I am not looking forward to it.

Big Classy on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man. I went to Gamestop today to trade in some stuff, and was thinking about picking this up.. aaand they didn't have it. Wtf, Gamestop?

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    finally beat Crawmerax

solo, no less

wasn't too hard at all (not that much of an accomplishment: siren, playthrough 1 run, excellent equipment)

terrible loot though

I found better stuff just thoroughly running the crimson chests scattered around

might try it splitscreen

Elendil on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    so it turns out

600+ hours in borderlands

acheivements get downloaded

i have NOTHING

but i've done pretty much all of them

i think i'll just ignore them

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    so it turns out

i have NOTHING

I didn't think you were on the steam version. Cause that's the only version that got any achievements.

Those of us who have the retail version just got to download a 200 MB patch for basically nothing.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kainy wrote: »
    so it turns out

i have NOTHING

I didn't think you were on the steam version. Cause that's the only version that got any achievements.

Those of us who have the retail version just got to download a 200 MB patch for basically nothing.

Yeah I was pretty annoyed when I saw the change list consisted of shit for Steam and for a keyboard(s) I don't have.

Though I think it's 200mb because it's all of 3.0 also, they just made it one patch.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• GBX_AdamFGBX_AdamF Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Achievements are for Steam users only.

Here is a post I made regarding what is retroactive and what is semi retro. Some have to be obtained by completing the objective again.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=108833

GBX_AdamF on
    PR & Marketing Manager @ Gearbox Software
    Gearbox Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/GearboxSoftware
    Personal Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/PezRadar
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well that's darn handy, thanks AdamF!

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm guessing achievements aren't retroactive for those who've already beaten the game and whatnot.

Hawk on
    edited August 2010
    GBX_AdamF wrote: »

Here is a post I made regarding what is retroactive and what is semi retro. Some have to be obtained by completing the objective again.

hmm

in that case, perhaps it's not so bad

one of these days i'll probably go back and do them then

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Steam achievements is nice, but being able to join games through your Steam friends list would have been nicer.

EDIT: Oooh, Steam overlay pauses the game now. That should have been in the patch notes too.

Peewi on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    Steam achievements is nice, but being able to join games through your Steam friends list would have been nicer.

EDIT: Oooh, Steam overlay pauses the game now. That should have been in the patch notes too.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • PentaroPentaro Go go Pentaro! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    But the game already had its own achievement system. So, what's the point?

Pentaro on
    Z8V0f.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Pentaro wrote: »
    But the game already had its own achievement system. So, what's the point?

There is a difference between challenges and achievements.

Also I know first hand that the list showing which achievements are retroactive and which are not is not fully accurate.

The_Spaniard on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I was pretty annoyed when I saw the change list consisted of shit for Steam and for a keyboard(s) I don't have.

Though I think it's 200mb because it's all of 3.0 also, they just made it one patch.

I was even more pissed when downloading that patch cost me about 1/2 the time I had to play with my brother last night.

Fucking fucky fuckshit.

Oh well. Neat to have achievements for steam peoples. Wish my copy was steam-based!

Kainy on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GBX_AdamF wrote: »

hmm

in that case, perhaps it's not so bad

one of these days i'll probably go back and do them then

Thanks, AdamF. Maybe you could infect a few of us with "And They'll Tell Two Friends" at some point. I don't know how many of us are playing with pubbies at this point.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    edited August 2010
    Iolo wrote: »
    Thanks, AdamF. Maybe you could infect a few of us with "And They'll Tell Two Friends" at some point. I don't know how many of us are playing with pubbies at this point.

Speaking of playing with pubbies, I have yet to play in a 4 person game, which is awful, since I'm a fucking Catalyst and reduce my team's cooldowns by 28% while making neater loot pop out.

One of these days we should get 4 of us and do some Craw or just run around and shoot people. Or do some Moxxi!

Here's hoping for Saturday, Curly

Kainy on
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure if the +2 Rare Items thing works.

Nerdgasmic on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the +2 Rare Items thing works.

Do 20 farmory runs 10 with / 10 without and report back. Be sure to be wearing it when you first enter the Knoxx level, just in case it only matters when the chests spawn.

stigweard on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Im really getting back into Borderlands and have a really dumb question - with all the weapon variants out there Im driving myself insane comparing all the stuff.

- When I look, and see the down arrows, does that mean its worse than what I currently have equipped, or does it look at my backpack and compare it to other types of that weapon? If I see all down arrows, does that generally mean just dont even waste my time comparing and move on, or is it worth looking at the other stats?

-I dont understand what "Damage X12" means and stuff at the bottom of a weapons info box. If it does damage "x12", why doesnt it just display whatever that number would be? Is there a factor in whether or not it WILL actually multiply it by 12?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    1. The arrows are a comparison to your currently equipped weapon. Other stats are arguably more important. There's the +melee damage, ammo regen, a better zoom, etc. As a Revolver Mordecai, I've snagged an all down arrow weapon (as long as it's not really significant) for a better zoom because the increased/easier headshots were worth it or passed on a slightly stronger gun because the clip was too small.

2. x12 means there are 12 projectiles created from one trigger pull and it uses 1 unit of ammo. OTOH, 300% burst fire count means that each trigger pull will fire 3 projectiles at the cost of 3 ammo.

DogEight on
    edited August 2010
    "Y times X" means that the gun fires a spread of X bullets that each do Y damage. The guns accuracy rating, any talents or weapon proficiency levels you have that boost accuracy, your distance from the target, and any special spread effects a gun may have all affect how easily all of the bullets will hit the target.

a red down arrow means that the gun is less effective in that stat than the gun you are comparing it to.

Generally, a weapon that is worse in every way compared to another weapon is not worth using, but some have special effects that may make them worthwhile.

Nerdgasmic on