As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Art of War: Recognize your enemy, paint your target, thin his life span

RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Critical Failures
IG_flamer2.jpg
Does this image scare you, soldier? Because this is what happens to guardsmen who are not educated in the ways of the enemy. You have been brought here to learn how to effectively fight those who oppose the Imperium of Mankind, as well as those who are to aid you. Nobody wants a repeat of the Kaurava incident.

hidden2.jpg

You, over there in the back! Are you even paying attention, soldier? Do you not understand why you are here?

A lot of tabletop games involve the use of miniatures or other play aids (hand-made dungeons, illustrations, paintings, etc), and this is the thread for them. Herein we talk shop about the full gauntlet of tabletop hobby activities: modelling, painting, sculpting, converting, and many more I am certain I have forgotten. Do not be afraid to ask questions! We all started horribly, and we have no problem letting you know our secret painting methods(in turn, making them not so secret).

While I intend to teach you everything you need to know, you must educate yourselves on the dangers we face out there. Every Xeno, Witch, and Heretic wishes to end our way of life, you cannot let this happen. Its up to you, soldiers!

There are some great sites out there for painters, converters, etc. While I am not personally big on using them, I know a lot of people do. Feel free to let me know any other sites you know, I'll throw them into this post!

http://www.brushthralls.com/ - A long time favorite of many of the users on these forums, filled with good tutorials

www.dakkadakka.com - While its more community than anything else, the modeling and painting forums are a great place to get advice on things.

Put your hand down, soldier! Questions will wait until the end of the presentation. Questions will be directed to our Ordos Xenos representative. He will take you into that back room, and you will have no more questions about our enemies.

In this thread, a number of questions come up often about certain aspects of painting, so this is a small F.A.Q. for questions you have. If any of our regular viewers would like to add to this, just let me know!
Q: I see these beautiful models people post, so why do my models come out so much worse?
A: This is a hard question to answer, although part of it may just be you being critical of your own models. However, there are a few things that mini painters tend to all do, that highly increase the looks of their miniatures. First, you should always use primer on your models, whether plastic or metal. There are black and white primers, as well as coloured ones, such as red and green. I prefer white, but many people swear by the others. Experiment!

From there, it generally goes to base coating, which is what most people think at "painting". This is getting the main colours on parts. For example, you would be putting blue paint mainly on an ultramarine, with gold on certain parts, etcetera. This is also a good place to mention that you should generally water down your paints, especially if you use the main citadel line of paints. Just a few drops of water will really help getting the basecoats done.

The next two steps can be done interchangably, though I prefer to highlight before washing. So highlighting. This is just the practice of painting lighter colours on the raised parts and hard edges of a miniature. For example, lets take an imperial double eagle(the one with the two wings and two heads). Lets say this was painted with boltgun silver. You might, then, use mithril silver with a small brush to paint the edges of the feathers. This helps the model really pop, and look more striking.

Washing is the other step here. A wash is a heavily watered down paint, meant to pool in the recesses of a model to create shading and depth. The citadel washes are amazing, quite simply. They just work. Badab black will work in 90% of cases, though devlan mud has its place, and the other colors as well.

Q: Ohh no, I hate how this model came out. Should I just repaint over it?
A: No, that would really kill a lot of the detail. Models are not very hard to strip! Simple green is the commonly used solution to strip a model of paint. Just leave your models submerged in simple green for at least an hour(overnight works better), and take a toothbrush to them to get off the paint afterwards(You probably dont want to use the toothbrush on your teeth later). Acetone can work for metal models, but be careful to make sure they don't have plastic parts; Acetone will eat plastic.

Q: Do I have to use GW's paints?
A: No, although you probably want to use miniature paints of some sort. These include Citadel, Vallejo, Reaper, P3, and other paints. Make sure its a paint meant for miniatures, and that its acrylic, water based paint.

As it always comes up in these threads, here's Ashers method of painting his tyranids

harrison7.jpg

Asher wrote:
Recipe is dead easy:
White undercoat (Skull white Spray)
Paint carapace Bestial Brown in a couple of watered down layers to get even coverage.

Now this is where it varies. For baby bugs, you can skip the next for steps and go to the straight Bleached Bone Layer. For bigger things do the following:

Streak inwards with a large brush using a 60/40 Bestial Brown/Bleached bone mix. Maybe go 1/2 to 2/3 of the length of the plate with this layer.

Then do the same using 40/60 Brown to Bone instead. Obviously you don't streak in as far.

Then you streak in using straight Bleached Bone. Use a small brush and have a lot of patience to get a good result. You can see in that picture about how far to go in.

Now, once again it depends on whether you're painting a baby bug or big bug. For Big Bugs, I carefully wash any recessed areas with Devlan mud, then go back with Skull White to tidy up any accidental splashes. Baby Bugs don't need this step.

Then, go ahead and wash the whole thing with Badab Black. You can water it down to keep the look a bit brighter if you want.

Then go back and re-streak with straight Bleached Bone again. This will give the edges of the carapace some nice depth.

Final step, Big Bugs only, mix 50/50 Skull White and Bleached Bone and do some selective streaking on the carapace to add a bit of highlighting. I haven't done that in that picture.

Hope that helps!

Onto the lesson, maggots! This is just a sampling of the horrors that you shall face on the battlefield. Remember, shoot first, ask yourself if it needs to be shot again, and then shoot last.

The Traitorous Chaos

Paint Vagrant(Big image is big)
dread2_cmon.jpg

GrimDog420
IMG_1177.jpg

The Coniving Eldar

Zatar
avengers1.jpg

The Fledgling Tau Empire

Poidwah
4540353655_089805881f.jpg

The Unending Swarm of the Tyranids

Expired Hero
hgaunt1.jpg

Halos Nach Tariff
TrygonPaint2_by_halosnachtariff.jpg

Asher
hiveguard4.jpg

-SPI-
gaunt.jpg

The Green Swarm of the Orks

Gahmrious
photo12.jpg

But fear not, soldier! You have allies in this fight!

The Hammer of the Imperium, The Imperial Guard

Timspork
IMG_1093.jpg

Unarmed Oracle
outside1.jpg

In His Image, the Adeptus Astartes!

Dayspring
Ultra1.jpg

Foolish Chaos
1002153.jpg

Altmann
4439341139_d7b519ee72_b.jpg

Niklas
0005sy1y

Matrias
IMG_2013.jpg

Mago
4794675884_1ffe627b21_b.jpg

But not all is clear, soldiers. There are forces out there that we have but caught a glimpse of, and cannot fully understand. By the firepower of our armies, we shall keep our ignorance strong!

Ein
beast021.jpg

J
oofnemo1.jpg

Raslin(Thats me!)
FuriosoA1.jpg

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
Raslin on

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Woo I made the op!
    With...ultramarines? :P

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Why are all the new OP's yelling at me?

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That Nurgle Dreadnought is excellent.

Someday...

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Slapnuts wrote: »
    Why are all the new OP's yelling at me?

Because you are a heretic!

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, magnetic paint, can I get it at Walmart, or is it going to take some footwork to track down?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I know this is heresy, but do Walmart acrylics work for paint?

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gabe, I haven't see it at Wal-Mart before, but the local craft stores carry it.

Brody, I use Apple Barrel and Folk Art paints rather than the more expensive brands and feel I'm getting good results. I do want to pick up a set of Vallejo Model colors eventually to compare, though.

If you use the Wal-Mart stuff, make sure to go to your local craft store and get some Flow Aid and Drying Retardent. I bought huge bottles of these from Liquitex for about $8 each, and use a ratio of 2:1:1 (water:FA:DR) for my thinning agent, which I usually mix between 2:1 to 1:1 (Paint:TA) depending on what I'm doing. It has helped incredibly.

Here are some orks I did:

116093_sm-.JPG

Heffling on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I would avoid regular acrylics. The pigment is very coarse, which works fine for paintings, but leads to bad results for mini's.

Raslin on

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raslin wrote: »
    I would avoid regular acrylics. The pigment is very coarse, which works fine for paintings, but leads to bad results for mini's.
    Well, you could probably get away with fine art acrylics (the ones in tubes) but you end up doing a lot more work, since they come out of the tube thick enough to sculpt with a knife.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I made it to the OP!

Wait... does this mean I have to pick up my paints again?

Niklas on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh noes! I've fallen out of the the OP.

I guess that means I should get painting!

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I've got the first 2 members of my Chaos Bloodbowl team finished. I need to assemble myself some more beastmen now.
    Photos are a bit poor. I also need to figure out where to put the team number on each dude. The beastmen will probably get shoulder tattoos, but i'm not sure about the warriors.
    Chaoswarrior1.jpg
    Chaoswarrior2.jpg
    Beastman1.jpg
    Beastman2.jpg

I also finished the first ever rank of troops for my new Dark Elf scheme. Only took me a couple of evenings, which is good as I have a load of spearmen to do next.
    Crossbowmen1.jpg

Dayspring on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Photos are a bit poor. I also need to figure out where to put the team number on each dude. The beastmen will probably get shoulder tattoos, but i'm not sure about the warriors.

On the other warriors, cut that little spike off the circle of armour on his chest. That will give you a nice circle plate to put a number on.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I didn't think of that till it was too late for this guy, and the other 2 warrior figures I have lined up don't have it. Doh!

Dayspring on
  • Options
    ScribemiteScribemite Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Yeah, I didn't think of that till it was too late for this guy, and the other 2 warrior figures I have lined up don't have it. Doh!

Put a little "My Name Is" sticker with the number on each Warrior. Don't need to have the text, just have a white sticker with a red line on the top part and the number in black in the white. Put that sticker right on their chest armor.

This is a good idea for the Chaos Warrior team, no?

Scribemite on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow.

The Army Painter plastic glue is garbage. I was trying to glue the gunner onto his perch and it was taking forever for the glue to set at all. I just went back to the CA glue and the gunner was in place in no time.

Has anyone else had any luck with plastic glue?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    ScribemiteScribemite Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Testors Cement for Plastic Models (blue tube) has worked great for me.

Scribemite on
  • Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I use Testors liquid plastic cement. It's cheap, quick-drying, precise and makes for a bond like nobody's business, mainly because it fuses the plastic together. Use it sparingly and it will never go wrong on you. CA on plastic makes for brittle bonds.

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    drama_drama_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i *will* finish my "Gets Hot!" novelty piece this weekend and i WILL post it in this thread

drama_ on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow.

The Army Painter plastic glue is garbage. I was trying to glue the gunner onto his perch and it was taking forever for the glue to set at all. I just went back to the CA glue and the gunner was in place in no time.

Has anyone else had any luck with plastic glue?
    GW's own stuff works as glue; it's just the spout that is atrocious.

I use Revell Contacta pro, mostly because of the fine metal dispenser with the 0.5mm bore.

For some jobs though, I also use something called "plastic weld" by EMA Model Supplies; it's a brush-on cement that flows like water and will dissolve nearly any plastic, so you can fit perspex to polystyrene without trouble.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    TheHopelessGamerTheHopelessGamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Wife started painting at last year's Gen Con by entering some speed painting contests. She won the Privateer speed paint she was in with this little Gobber:

IMG_0071.JPG

She she lost when she panicked with this dwarf. I think he looks pretty good, but I could see how it's not first place material:

IMG_0069.JPG

She signed up for several more speed painting contests this year. She didn't paint all that much between last and this coming Gen Con, so she tried a couple of speed painting test runs. I gave her a difficult, detailed model to get back in the swing of things with. Epic Allister Caine:

IMG_0073.JPG

I'm really proud of her and am now waiting on her hand and foot to meet every painting whim she has because a.) I have no painting talents, never have and b.) she's got some chops while having only painted/practiced on less than a dozen mini's ever. It's amazing having a painter in the house who can whip any D&D figure into shape! I didn't want to blow up this post with gigantic pictures, so you can see the pictures extra big by visiting The Hopeless Gamer.

TheHopelessGamer on
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How speedy was that speed painting? Looks pretty impressive.

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    DampCatDampCat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There were still 2 pages left of the other thread :/

Still. Nice selection in OP.

DampCat on
    fiawal6.jpg
    "EVEN IN DEATH I STILL COOK MOTHERFUCKERS".
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I didn't know how fast the thread would go, and decided to make the new thread while I still had time to make it(thursday through sunday, wouldn't have had time).

Raslin on

• Options
    TheHopelessGamerTheHopelessGamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It Burns wrote: »

The Gobber was 45 minutes, the dwarf was, I think, an hour, and the Epic Caine was like an hour and a half, I believe (that was one she did for practice). Hopefully we'll have new mini's to post soon on The Hopeless Gamer.

TheHopelessGamer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It Burns wrote: »

The Gobber was 45 minutes, the dwarf was, I think, an hour, and the Epic Caine was like an hour and a half, I believe (that was one she did for practice). Hopefully we'll have new mini's to post soon on The Hopeless Gamer.

Those look impressive for that time. If I really focus on it most I could do is one model per evening.

It Burns on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Not using your speed painting method anymore, burns?

Raslin on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Did 8 boyz and a nob in the last couple of nights using that. But since I'm still going to paint over it I can't say it's finished.

Sure it will look way better than grey plastic, but still a long way from done. Right now, from a squad of 20 shoota boyz I have everything with the base colours on and 5 nearly done. Should finish them before the weekend and move on to another 5.

My goal is to paint the following before 2011:

- Warboss (still in need of some converting)
    - 40 Choppa Boyz (11 done or almost done)
    - 19 Shoota Boyz (5 almost done, rest is table worthy)
    - 4 Nobz (1 done)
    - 3 Killa Kanz (1 nearly done)
    - 2 Trukks (still assembling one, other is half painted)
    - 1 Battlewagon

Yes that's the 1000 point list I used on the first 40k league :P

It Burns on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think your commissar disagree's on your choice of models to paint.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I really need to find that camera, I didn't want to describe it without the pictures. That Comissar is so cool... I read the box they came in and tought "11 dudes? I have 10 right here..." then bam! Found that son of a bitch. :D

If I don't focus on an army I will never any of them. I am tired of grey mans. Don't worry tough, they're on the list right after the Battlewagon, which is after the Shoota boyz. If I keep up pace I can paint it all before the year ends. I hope.

It Burns on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm speed painting some flesh tearers for Nax.

Well, they may LOOK like blood angels, but they're flesh tearers at heart.

And by speed painting, I mean, it's week 3 and I've finished 6.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If you gave me actual painted flesh tearers... I would quietly place them on the table. Then I would calmly walk out to my car and open the trunk. I would remove the tire iron. I would come back in. I would hit them across the room tee ball style. Then I would hit you with the tire iron :P

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My idea of speed painting is having a model finished in under a year. The concept of having one done in the same week blows my mind, nevermind the same day, or less!

J on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It always makes me a little happy to hear people talk about how long it takes them to paint. I know I'm a horrible person for that, but I know my stuff pales in comparison to the really good painters in here... however, I can do things like finish three tanks in seven hours, and paint ten guardsmen in under two, etc. I may not have showcase units, but I comfort myself in having lots of painted mans at least.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    P8040005.jpg

What the hell is going on here!? Damn kids! Getoffa my lawn!
    By Raslin, crossposted from the Santa thread.

It Burns on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Nax wrote: »
    If you gave me actual painted flesh tearers... I would quietly place them on the table. Then I would calmly walk out to my car and open the trunk. I would remove the tire iron. I would come back in. I would hit them across the room tee ball style. Then I would hit you with the tire iron :P

That's gratitude for ya.

Descendant X on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My thoughts on the Flesh Tearers are pretty well known around here...especially to Altmann after all the conversations we've had about it. He would be asking for it

Nax on
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nax wrote: »

That's gratitude for ya.

You should see what he did the last time he got flesh tearers...

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I need to get back to painting my mini's, been painting nerf guns for the last two weeks

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alright, I got my black primer, my paints, my brushes, and my glue. All I need is some models to paint and away I go!

What have I gotten myself into

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
This discussion has been closed.