As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Pokémon Revealed! Thread requires Max Revive

InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
Here are all of the new Pokemon

Here's some info about the Mew Giveaway

Here is a horrible movie
Live Action!

Here are your new Legends!
reshiram-zekrom.png

What you need to start battling:

- First of all, finish the main game first. Trying to understand and manipulate EVs and IVs before that will be a pain.
- Once you've beaten the Elite Four, the real "fun" begins. First, give Individual Values or IVs a read. You will also want to know everything about breeding and Effort Values or Evs. Natures Natures should also be read.
- Now that you know some things about EVs, you can either grind at the Battle Tower for the points needed to buy the Power Items or borrow them from someone who is used to play here at G&T. These items will make EV training much easier.
- If you aren't sure what to do with your Pokés, check out Smogon for some tips that will help you choose an appropriate EV spread and moveset for your Mons.
- Check out Psypoke's EV training spots.
- You might want to check Chen's list of what you should consider adding to your team

- Pokémon battles through Wi-fi automatically level your Pokémon to either levels 50 or 100. So you don't have to train them to level 100 yourself, saving a lot of time. In fact, it will be better if you don't level them up all the way to 100 since at that stage you won't be able to edit your Pokés' EVs.

- But most importantly: Have fun! It doesn't matter if you win or lose. You must have learned something from experience, and if your newest creation wasn't as good as thought it'd be and you want to keep it boxed, don't feel discouraged. We all have trained some Pokémon that we'll never use again because it sounded better on paper than it performed in practice.

General Battling Rules

Uber Clause: The use of Uber Pokémon is forbidden. Click here for a list of Ubers. Salamence? We don't care.
Legendary Clause: The use of Legendary Pokémon is forbidden. Click here for a list of Legendaries.
Sleep Clause: You cannot put two of your opponent's Pokémon to sleep at the same time. (Rest not applicable)
Evasion Clause: No moves that increase evasion such as Double Team and Minimize may be used. Things like Sand-Attack and Sand Veil are still legal.
Species Clause: No two of the same Pokémon may be used on one team.
One-Hit KO Clause: One-hit KO (OHKO) moves, such as Horn Drill or Sheer Cold, are forbidden.
Selfdestruct Clause: The moves Selfdestruct, Explosion, Perish Song, Destiny Bond, or any other such move may not be used if both players only have 1 remaining Pokémon. If a player uses one of those moves under this condition, they automatically lose.

The G&T Pokémon League

kantogymleaders.jpg

Standard Gym Rules

Each Gym Leader is bound to a certain type. A minimum of four Pokémon must adhere to that type. A Gym Leader may summon two species of a different type if he or she desires. However they must abide by having a move of the gym's type. For all intents and purposes, Hidden Power is of the Normal type.

A Gym Challenger may choose any six Pokémon he or she wishes for challenging any Gym Leader so long as your team adheres to the General Battling Rules listed above and any of the Optional Rules listed below if the Gym Leader has requested them.
Gym Leaders may also remove any Standard Rules if they wish to.

Optional Gym Rules

Item Clause: All items are limited to one per team.
<Insert Move> Clause: The use of <insert move> is forbidden.
Double Battle: 2vs2 battles are initiated.

Gym Activity

A Gym Leader may lose his or her status through inactivity. If a Gym Leader does not respond to your challenge by PM, please notify us by posting in this thread.

You may challenge an active Gym Leader and take over his or her gym by defeating him or her and abiding to the Gym Leader Rules. To clarify, you are limited to four Pokémon of that particular gym's type and two Pokémon of a different type that must carry a move of the gym's type.

Codes of Conduct

Don't be a dick.
There's no link, just Don't be a dick.

The Gyms

Steel Gym
Leader: Munkus Beaver
Special Rules: Item Clause
cardv.png

Flying Gym
Leader: Speed Racer
Special Rules: No Stealth Rock
69e7f6f55ca9f971c94dbae.png

Fire Gym
Leader: Skulkraken
Special Rules: Shoddy Battle Only
eb166775d1bf95604ef0195.png

Psychic Gym
Leader: RockinX
rockingym.jpg

Water Gym
Leader: Chen
Reward: Torrent Badge
gymcard.png

Normal Gym
Leader: InvisibleInk
Reward: Boring Badge
trainercard.php?b=Ink&i=dpm10&a=brown&c=059&d=169&e=468&f=241&g=424&h=474

Fighting Gym
Leader: Enlong
Reward: Pain Badge
Special Rules: Evasion Allowed
trainercard.php?b=Enlong&i=dpm31&a=blue&c=068&d=106&e=448&f=454&g=286&h=475
FC-1161 6705 7388

Grass Gym
Leader: ChopperDave
Special Rules: Item Clause
trainercard.png
FC: 2148 6518 2903

Ice Gym
Leader: Professor Hydron
Special Rules: Double Battle

Poison Gym
Leader: Eeveelution

Electric Gym
Leader: TC4T

Dragon Gym
Leader: Zerokku

Click here to create your Trainer Card.

Active Battlers' Friend Codes:
RockinX (Diamond): 0301-6425-9658 -- (SoulSilver): 2837-2176-3811
Kay (Diamond): 2277-9321-5433 -- (Platinum): 4253-9422-6181
InvisibleInk (Diamond): 1890-7641-5153 -- (Platinum): 1419 2587 1159
Kuribo's Shoe: 4726-3831-9680
Chen: 1633-1499-9731
Emerlmaster999 (Platinum): 1762-8554-8209
Arikado: 0645-5958-6383
Aggril (Pearl): 1418-3381-0393
troublebrewing: 3824-4455-1138
SirToasty (Diamond): 0645-2240-5346 -- (Platinum): 2836-5993-1590
krylon666 (Plat): 5198-8471-4100
Jugs (Platinum): 2965-4488-5135
Eveelution (Diamond): 1934-5192-0708 -- (Platinum): 2707-7660-6352
Rami: 2450-7632-1216
Zerokku: 3008-4195-7069
WIckedkarma: 2922 6385 6459
Nerdgasmic: 1333 0236 8007
Professor Hydron: 4382-9013-9323
Kabuki64: 0516 4736 9808
Rent: (HG) 1248 1892 2684
WIckedkarma: 0818 1061 5877
NerdyHeritage: 0775 9129 1567
Koopa_Paratroopa: 5113 8469 2573
PM me to add/update your friend code

Sites of interest

Marriland's team builder.
Metalkid's IV Calculator.
Get more Box Wallpapers for DPPt/HGSS

3DS-3995-6602-5217
NNID-InvisibleInk
InvisibleInk on

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    this game is for children and the Japanese

Nerdgasmic on
  • InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    But not Japanese Children

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So...how active are these gyms anyway, the only people I've seen post in the last thread or two was speed and ink, and chen popped in occasionally, but I don't even remember ever seeing some of these people, like enlong or professor hydron

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    It's pretty much dead. ChopperDave says he's open for battles but then he also has some WiFi troubles I guess?
    So me, RockinX, Speed has no Wifi till September maybe, Dave, and Munkus is usually around.

Then SE++ has their Gyms, but its just about as dead as ours.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have an entire box full of trained ice Pokemon that could easily be used for an ice gym. I'm not really keen on the rules for this particular monotype league though.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've had zero willing challengers, so there's that too.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, it's dead on both sides. No battlers, no gyms. No gyms, no battlers.
    So it goes

645, what rules do you take issue with? As a gym leader, you can set your own you know?

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited August 2010
    I have an entire box full of trained ice Pokemon that could easily be used for an ice gym. I'm not really keen on the rules for this particular monotype league though.

Which rules in particular? The legendaries or the 4 of 1 type +needing a move of the type are the only major deviations I notice

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    1) Wildcards completely and utterly defeat the purpose of monotype teams.
    2) The leaders (who are restricted in what they can use) have to announce what their teams are, while the challengers (who can use anything) do not. Or at least this appeared to be the case back when everybody had a trainer card.

Sixfortyfive on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey, guys! Look at what I found!
    poormisty.png

sakurai_grin.jpg

RockinX on
    edited August 2010
    So any interest in a theme tournament for B/W?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As far as the gyms go, I don't think the wildcards completely trump the experience. It allows for the teams to be a bit more challenging, at least. However, I would also not be opposed to a different take on the gym leaders, one that is not organized by type and simply just a set of eight trainers that everybody aims to beat. Then we could potentially have rotating gym leader positions. Basically we would have our own Penny Arcade ladder, I suppose. I dunno, the concept of gym leaders works great when you need bosses for your video game, but doesn't transfer to an online community well, I feel.

However, I agree with 645 that the leaders being forced to announce what their teams are is ridiculous. You can just create a team of counters. And while you still need some skill in order to use the team successfully, it does give the challenger a pretty heavy advantage. Considering that gym leaders are supposed to be tough to defeat...I think its pretty apparent that this isn't the way to do it.

Ultimately I don't care enough to actually do anything about it, because meh.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    1) Some types are just bummed without wild cards. Ice for instance.
    2) Eh this rule isn't enforced much. I've had the gym in my sig once upon a time for all to see and I still whooped butts.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited August 2010
    Rockin, did you really have to do that again?

1) The wildcards aren't a requirement, notice Speeds Flying gym.
    2) require your challenger to list their team before battle?
    Also, as chen said, you should still be able to win some regardless of what knowledge anyone may or may not have.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Guys super important question:

On that website linked in the OP regarding the Enigma Stone, it says you must have the National Dex. Is that true?

Because I only have 1 badge. Can I still get the Enigma Stone and save it for later? I don't mind waiting a super long time to actually get my Latios/Latias but I'll be pissed if I can't even get the stone.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2010
    I'm sure there's no harm in testing it out. Get the Wonder Card, go to a Pokemart and get the item. Thing is, you can't activate the event until you get to Pewter and you can't get there without the National Dex.
    I'd guess that you'll be able to get the item even without the NatDex. At the very least you should be able to beat the E4 within 20 days.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Theoretically, but at the moment DQ9 has a pretty firm spot in my DS. Unlikely that I will play any HG at all for a while. On top of that, there's this little game called League of Legends that has literally been devouring all of my free time.

Its like -- free time... I don't know where it went.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2010
    Rockin, did you really have to do that again?

No one said anything before the last thread became obsolete.

A lot of people were wondering what the comic said.

RockinX on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd be interested in fighting the Gyms once I finish my team. I'll even do each gym with the same team, true Pokemon Trainer style.

Just, gotta get around to finishing my team. Now that I'm back at Uni I'm finding it difficult to find a time to sit down and RNG my Espeon and Charmander. D:

Anzekay on
  • Liberty WingsLiberty Wings Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pokemon: Gotta Buy'em All!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoKpRyxBslQ

Liberty Wings on
  • notsoynotsoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Water and Flying don't need wild-cards because of the sheer diversity of the various sub-types

Water: Kingdra, Lanturn, Starmie, Vaporeon, Ludicolo, Swampert
    Flying: Gyarados, Togekiss, Honchkrow, Zapdos, Charizard, Ninjask

I came up with those two teams in 10 seconds off the top of my head, and there are so many more viable candidates for mono-type teams...assuming the type in question is Water or Flying.

notsoy on
    Soul Silver FC: 1978 3200 2285
    GT: HitoriLionheart or dailydro
    edited August 2010
    I ran a monotype setup for GAF for a couple of weeks. Didn't hold many people's interest for long, but we balanced it like so:

- Challengers have to announce their team and use the same team against each Leader. Leaders are not locked into specific Pokemon, just their specific type.
    - Leaders can choose to enforce certain rules (2v2, item clause, evasion clause, sleep clause, ohko clause).

So I'd run a double battle setup with item clause 'cause I figured (correctly) that few challengers would build teams optimized for that. I'd size up their rosters and figured that if I thought I could get away with Scarf Abomasnow + Froslass rolling over their leads I'd do that. If it looked like they had a team full of speed demons with few priority moves I'd run a slower team with Jynx thrown in for Trick Room. There were only like 3 other leaders that even played for any notable length of time but I'm pretty sure I was the only one who had a winning record at the end of it.

Kind of a pointless argument since I know battling probably isn't going to pick up much around here until B&W hit, but hey.
    Spoit wrote: »
    I think triples could be fun while we're all equally ignorant as to how to play it effectively. I'm not importing the game though.

Sixfortyfive on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I managed to win a number of battles with my Fighting Gym the first time we did this (may have been in G&T) with my team displayed in my sig for all to see. It wasn't a great team either, it was just my Street Fighter team which has some ridiculous weaknesses obviously.

SirToasty on
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Why is breeding for Staryus so much more infuriating then breeding for Arons or Gastlys or Cleffas? GAHHH

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
    edited August 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Why is breeding for Staryus so much more infuriating then breeding for Arons or Gastlys or Cleffas? GAHHH

Cleffas are as awful to breed as Staryus. RNG that egg's ability and nature. It's the easiest thing to do.

RockinX on
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    I think triples could be fun while we're all equally ignorant as to how to play it effectively. I'm not importing the game though.

A gen 4 tournament. I meant to celebrate the release.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Oddly, I actually feel like making some of the pokemon on my to do list. Just in anticipation of the random battles in B/W.
    But wouldn't it suck if I made a pokemon and then found out that it has all new moves that completely change the way that I would want to use it?

I guess as long as the IVs are decent I'll be able to rearrange their moves and EVs as needed.
    So
    Forretress, Kecleon, Infernape
    Camerupt, Primeape, Torterra and that Shiny Pichu with Volt Tackle
    Where to begin? Probably bust out that Pichu first, since it doesn't need any breeding.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited August 2010
    I RNGed that shiny Pichu to have HP Ice. Yes, I went there. No, I don't know if it's a good idea, but it's there.

RockinX on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Camerupt

Nerdgasmic on
    edited August 2010
    RockinX wrote: »
    I RNGed that shiny Pichu to have HP Ice. Yes, I went there. No, I don't know if it's a good idea, but it's there.
    I RNG'd the spiky eared Pichu.

That doesn't evolve.

And starts at level 30, so it's not even eligible for Little Cup.

Yeah.

Sixfortyfive on
    edited August 2010
    You guys have a sickness....I really should RNG my jirachi so I can clear my wonder cards...

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    1) Some types are just bummed without wild cards. Ice for instance.
    2) Eh this rule isn't enforced much. I've had the gym in my sig once upon a time for all to see and I still whooped butts.

Grass typing would be right boned if we had a monotyping-enforced league. The only universe a mono-grass team would be useful in is one where Sleep Clause isn't enforced, and we all know how fun THAT universe would be.

Also, I'm around but traveling and not reliably near wifi. Should be back home and ready to take challengers by tomorrow (though my friend is visiting for the week and may try to monopolize my time).

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
    edited August 2010
    I've been trying to come up with an insane gimmick strategy for the next Smogon doubles tournament. I think I've settled on this:

Snover (level 1)

Smeargle
    - Pursuit

Walrein
    - Substitute
    - Protect

Cresselia
    - Role Play
    - Substitute
    - Protect

1) Lead with Snover + Smeargle for auto-hail.
    2) Switch out Snover for Walrein, but use Pursuit on Snover to activate glitch hail.
    3) Have Cress step in and use Role Play to copy Walrein's Ice Body.
    4) Use Sub+Protect for the rest of the match, recovering 25% HP per turn from weather while the opponent's team gets pelted for 25% damage instead.

Slap on a few things to keep from completely being shut down by Taunt and I think I'm good to go.

Very risky, but I think the hilarity potential is off the charts.

Sixfortyfive on
    edited August 2010
    I would have thought that Smogon bans or at least discourages deliberate use of the Gliltched Weather.
    That is a devious idea though. I wish Role Play could be more useful in Singles.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited August 2010
    They do outright ban Pursuit under Smogon Wifi rules for that very reason (which I think is completely unnecessary in singles since it's hard to abuse if your opponent has a brain, but whatever). This particular tourney is under VGC09 though, which permits it.

Ever since I found out about the glitch I've kind of wanted to build a team specifically for abusing it just to see how far it could be taken. I've never seen anybody try it.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought I'd skip over HG/SS, but I didn't realize they had Lati@ses. Latios has been a gap in my Pokedex for years, so I'm planning to get Soul Silver now.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    edited August 2010
    So it turns out that Cresselia does not actually learn Role Play, despite it being listed on Smogon, Bulbapedia, and Serebii.

God dammit. Maybe I can settle for Clefable or Uxie or something...

Sixfortyfive on
    edited August 2010
    I ran into a similar problem actually. Serebii has Role Play listed for Tauros, but the site I trust more for accurate info, Psypoke, doesn't list that move for Tauros. I think I checked 2 or 3 other sites and maybe 1 also had it listed while the others didn't. I think even Smogon doesn't have Role Play in it's move list.
    Well, Tauros definitely learns it.
    I don't know, there must have been some bad info for the HG/SS Tutor compatibility lists that got spread around and never corrected.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I already figured it out. Somebody mixed up the Role Play and Magic Coat tutors.

Sixfortyfive on
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alright duders, im in the victory road playing through Platinum. And I just realized I still only have 5 pokemon.

This presents.... issues.

Namely that I dont have a 6th pokemon.

I will now let you decide.

I'm not going for super awesome pro team. The only requirement is that the pokemon in question be awesome.

Current lineup: Snorlax, Heracross, Hippowdon, Crowbat, and Giratina (willing to part with him if someone has a reasonable suggestion)

Ready go!

CangoFett on
This discussion has been closed.