As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Megaten / Persona Discussion] Devil Survivor 2 hits the DS, surprising... everyone.

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
MegatenLogo.pnglogo.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzXLed9QGRs

Persona 2's back with a vengeance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VteHd2AoGvw

cathy.jpg

Catherine is Atlus' new project, their first next-gen endeavor.

A Survival Horror/RPG hybrid of some kind.

The heck does this have to do with us, you ask?
- Horror Action Adventure aimed for adults.
- producer Katsura Hashino (Persona 4 Director)
- chara design Shigenori Soejima
- composer Shoji Meguro

There you go.

This here's Vincent, the protagonist:

BTZ4Onn281HxWdYo49mc8mqSuK3188St.jpg

And this is Catherine, a woman who may or may not be some kind of horrifying demonic entity in disguise:

Sd352Fc5U5s8vf8by83edu414u7sgS5Q.jpg

Vincent also appeared in P3P, further leading people to think there's a connection to SMT here.

whoisthisman.png

Winter 2010, should be awesome.

As long as console RPGs have existed, Japan has been dominated by the likes of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. But somewhere, just outside of the mainstream, lies the Megami Tensei series. Filled with dark stories about the nature of reality, technology, religion and humanity, the Megami Tensei storylines have been a bit too obtuse, and the gameplay a little bit too hardcore, to really attract the typical RPG fan. But the series - mostly relegated to Japan until recently - has created a cult following known as Megatenists, who devote themselves to one of video gaming=s most expansive series.

There's no shortage of places you could start with the Megaten series.

Games!
SNES

smt1-mcd2.jpg

The core games, known for sadistic first person dungeons, gun and/or melee combat, and a whole ton of demons.

megaten-title2.png

PS1?

personaj2.jpgsmt2psx2.jpg

You have the Persona games, which is easily SMT's most popular offshoot now, the SMT remakes, or the Devil Summoner games.

persona-12.png

Totally.

GBA and/or DS

demikidsdarka.jpg

Very few people have played this cute little gem. It's SMT Pokemon, basically, but with turn based RPG party combat. You could do worse for a starter.

dm-light3.png

Or, if you prefer, turn-based strategic combat:

devilsurvivora.jpg

With plenty of characters everyone loves that aren't horribly designed at all!

devilsurvivor-6.png

Maybe some old-school dungeon crawling?

strangejourneya.jpg

Sadistic maps for everyone!

strangejourney-4a.png

You're bound to make plenty of new friends.

strangejourney-6a.png

He just likes playing hard to get.

PS2

If you don't own this console, you're probably missing out on the best titles.

smt3a.jpgpersona3usa.jpgraidoua.jpg

A little of everything.

smt3-6a.jpg

Less -sempais and -kuns thrown about in that particular game, which is better for us all.

raidou-10a.jpg

Raidou happens to know the best fusioner around.

I guess the PSP can get some love too.

fc4qo4.jpg

We heard you like female protagonists, so of course that means pink interface!

tester.jpg

Next-gen? Well, we're still waiting.

Until then, here's some more

Specialized.Extracurricular.Educational.Stuff

View or face execution.

Images!
1280316073527.jpg

Velvet.jpg

PERSONA 4 SPOILER
p4shadow.jpg

mxs.jpg

1280435405150.jpg

1280435080841.jpg

1280316344069.jpg

ds1.jpg

ds_10.jpg

1275301326617.jpg

elizabethc.jpg

elizajfalice.jpg

p3fshinji.jpg

1275298700364.jpg
1275299032475.jpg

minatovelvetrom.jpg

In closing, click for huge, and epic.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/cjiwakura/Megaten/59ad4f3e3428f56def1a1b1.jpg

Video!

And don't forget,

shinjip3f.png

Wait, shoot.

lpt.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wish we knew more about the 3DS titles in the pipeline.

Xagarath on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yay! New Megaten thread...that I will hardly post in. D:

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A new thread to lurk!

simulacrum on
    edited August 2010

At least you've been around the Demons' Souls one instead.

Xagarath on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tagging so it shows up in my subscribed threads.

Honestly I love the series, but I cannot bring myself to buy P3 for the psp since
    The ending is so goddamned depressing. I much prefer 4 where you have to really work to get the best ending, but at least it exists.

LockeCole on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmm, think I'll replay P4(Blue Dot).

Dragkonias on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, uh, there may be P4 spoilers in the image section. I'll go tag it appropriately.

Why yes, I am fond of the P3F/Shinji pairing, what gives you that idea?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »

At least you've been around the Demons' Souls one instead.

True. And as soon as I get done with DQ9, EOIII, I'll get back to my Strange Journey.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My Let's Play is reminding me how much I prefer the old style Personas and it's kind of sad since I know they're never going back to that.

I miss my entire party being useful (except Chris. Fuck Chris. :lol:)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Isn't Chris the best character in the game by a mile?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2010
    Hahaha, only if you get to level 80+

Otherwise he has the lowest SP pool and can't use any of the best Personas (again, in the pre level 80+ range of Personas)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited August 2010
    The plural is Personae, damn it.

Xagarath on
    edited August 2010
    Actually, they're both pluralizations, and in terms of "soul pokemon" the right pluralization is Personas. So there. :P

Specifically, definition 2
    Main Entry: per·so·na
    Pronunciation: \pər-ˈsō-nə, -ˌnä\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural per·so·nae \-(ˌ)nē, -ˌnī\ or personas
    Etymology: Latin
    Date: 1909
    1 : a character assumed by an author in a written work
    2 a plural personas [New Latin, from Latin] : an individual's social facade or front that especially in the analytic psychology of C. G. Jung reflects the role in life the individual is playing — compare anima b : the personality that a person (as an actor or politician) projects in public : image
    3 plural personae : a character in a fictional presentation (as a novel or play) —usually used in plural <comic personae>

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited August 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wO-8X9LOUw

I was going to post the sub of this, but... O_o

It's pretty good so far.

Okay, decent, but not a bad effort.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Welp, finally managed to finish up Strange Journey. Got the Chaos Ending.

And, wow, Mastema was a douche. Pretty much put the Angels from SMT2 to shame in terms of sheer douchebaggery.

WotanAnubis on
    edited August 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Actually, they're both pluralizations, and in terms of "soul pokemon" the right pluralization is Personas. So there. :P
    OED, which I'd give rather more weight to than Webster, puts both as equally valid plurals for the psychological variety, not just personas.

Xagarath on
    edited August 2010
    Well either way you're still wrong to insist on Personae over Personas. ;-)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited August 2010
    But you were also wrong to insist the other way :P

Xagarath on
    edited August 2010
    Isn't Persona plural too?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I need to get into Strange Journey, but I still have to work through Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, some Valkyrie Profile game I picked up on a whim, Fire Emblem Dark Something-Or-Other, and I really need to go back and do a couple new game pluses for the remake of FF IV. And that's just handheld titles... I still need to get through Nocturn, DDS 1 & 2, and I'm also working on Puzzle Quest 2, Deathspank, and Mario Galaxy 2.

You know... I really shouldn't be complaining should I? :)

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Well I'm only wrong once you're wrong twice. That's double wrong, which is way worse than normal wrong. Like, at least 1.75 times as bad. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited August 2010
    Well I'm only wrong once you're wrong twice. That's double wrong, which is way worse than normal wrong. Like, at least 1.75 times as bad. :lol:

No, I was wrong once, in my original post. You've now been wrong twice- once in your original post, and once in the post above about who was wrong how often. :P

Xagarath on
    edited August 2010
    I'm kind of fortunate, the only thing standing between me and any new SMT game is If, and my run of P3 FES(not Answer).

And I guess that pending NG+ of Raidou 1 and Devil Survivor.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2010

No, I was wrong once, in my original post. You've now been wrong twice- once in your original post, and once in the post above about who was wrong how often. :P
    No, we're using two sources and both sources say you're wrong so you're wrong twice.

Well, three times now. :P

This could go on all day, couldn't it. Let's just call it even and say we were both wrong once. I have Persona 1 grinding to get back to.
    Gotta level up my Personas :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Namatame Spoilers :
    Okay, seriously, what the freaking hell just happened there. Shadows bodilly posessed him? He was his OWN shadow? On top of the lulz of spiral peace headgear and tortured dead face. And Love And Peace shirt. But seriously. WHAT THE FREAKING FRAG? Does he ever get explained, or is it like Shadow Teddie, where you're not supposed to think about it? or does Shadow Teddie ever get explained?

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Teyar wrote: »
    Namatame Spoilers :
    Okay, seriously, what the freaking hell just happened there. Shadows bodilly posessed him? He was his OWN shadow? On top of the lulz of spiral peace headgear and tortured dead face. And Love And Peace shirt. But seriously. WHAT THE FREAKING FRAG? Does he ever get explained, or is it like Shadow Teddie, where you're not supposed to think about it? or does Shadow Teddie ever get explained?

I dont remember the game exactly but
    I thought Shadow Teddie was just the same as all of the other shadow people. He just didn't get his own dungeon. I guess he did seem to know a bit more about the whole TV world so maybe that could be due to Teddie being from there. I'm don't remember Namatame so I can't help you there.

Shaggy on
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I approve of the massive amounts of Shinjiro in the OP.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You can claim a small victory, Xagarath. From now on I'll use Personae, if only by virtue of it sounding cooler.

Playing through P3P again, I didn't realise that Mitsuru's "You done fucked up" speech was of the "But thou must!" persuasion.

"I don't want to hear any excuses! You've had plenty of time. We're going tonight, whether you like it or not!"
    "Now, wait a second..."
    "I don't want to hear any excuses! You've had plenty of time..."
    "Now, wait a second..."
    "I don't want to hear any excuses...!"

She may be valedictorian and student council president, but I bet she just bombed in debate club.

Mumblyfish on
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also thank you for finding that image of Elizabeth fighting Erebus, CJ, I've been looking for that forever. Is there a higher-rez one available somewhere?

Hell for that matter MC-Elizabeth really is the best P3 pairing. I will brook no debate concerning this idea.
    Even if it is, potentially, universe-shattering and possibly physically impossible. God I can't wait for P5, there better be some payoffs (and answers) about all this.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Actually, Mitsuru's the best one in debate because everyone else is terrified of her.

Also, to add to the Shinjiro pic spam, here's one of him with what may be the best character in the series:
    55h0tw.jpg

Just manly guys
    Doin' manly things

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    Also thank you for finding that image of Elizabeth fighting Erebus, CJ, I've been looking for that forever. Is there a higher-rez one available somewhere?

Hell for that matter MC-Elizabeth really is the best P3 pairing. I will brook no debate concerning this idea.
    Even if it is, potentially, universe-shattering and possibly physically impossible. God I can't wait for P5, there better be some payoffs (and answers) about all this.

I have a slightly bigger version
    1bz0m.jpg

Tertiee on
    edited August 2010
    Actually, Mitsuru's the best one in debate because everyone else is terrified of her.

Also, to add to the Shinjiro pic spam, here's one of him with what may be the best character in the series:
    55h0tw.jpg

Just manly guys
    Doin' manly things

Homemaking: Extreme Edition.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This thread is reminding me that not only do I have a NG+ to do in P4, but I have to also try and work out what triggers this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ha0cjbKKXA

The Anonymous on
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That reminds me, I need to finish my new game plus of Persona 4 and start Persona 3 FES. Or find a place that will deliver PSP games that never got released here to Ireland.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And the links to the Persona 4 comic and Youtube dubs weren't in the OP because....?

Dartboy on
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i want nocturne ps3 dammit :(

Zephyr_Fate on
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dartboy wrote: »
    And the links to the Persona 4 comic and Youtube dubs weren't in the OP because....?

oh my god i hadnt seen these yet

best ever

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
    edited August 2010
    Don't forget the part 3 preview.

And I tried to keep it images only, it's nicer for presentation.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's three parts out right now to Hiimdaisy's P4 parody comic (She also made really good MGS parodies, too.)

Anyway P4 MC + Naoto = best pairing in series! Unless you count the fact that P1 MC had TWO girls after him.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    edited August 2010
    The romantic path for Naoto is super creepy and not good at all.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png