As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Dim Sum!

HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
Once again a band of us will venture out to track down and feast on the deliciousness of dim sum!

Basic Info

When: Sunday (Sept. 5) at 10am at the restaurant
Where: We're going to go to the excellent restaurant ElectricTurtle originally started out with Honey Court at 516 Maynard Ave. S. Seattle, WA 98104.
How: You can get there any way you want, I will be leading a group of anyone who wants to walk from the Grand Hyatt lobby at 9:30am. Usually once we're there we pool together and take taxis back to PAX.

If you are planning on coming, please PM me to let me know so that I can give the restaurant a heads-up on our imminent invasion! :)

Common questions

Q: How much does it cost?
A: Usually we end up paying $6-$10 per person for the food, and ~$5 for cramming together in the taxis

Q: Won't I miss PAX?
A: You'll miss a little bit, but we do generally get back by 11-11:30am latest

Q: What is dim sum?
A: "Dim sum is the Cantonese term for a type of Chinese dish that involves small individual portions of food, usually served in a small steamer basket or on a small plate." It's like tapas, or a bunch of small appetizers, and they're all delicious!

Or better yet:

dimsumphoto.jpg

Hypatia on

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For people new to dim sum, be aware of the following:
    • Nothing is vegan.
    • Almost nothing is vegetarian (most of the desserts are, but the only usual non-dessert item is broccoli if you ask for it without oyster sauce).
    • Almost everything has shrimp in it (at least 70% of the non-dessert items).
    • Most things have pork in them (at least 50% of the non-dessert items).
    • Almost all desserts have egg in them.
    If all of the above things are cool by you, you should go. All of the dim sum places in IDist are at least reasonably good. You'll be surprised by how much food you get for so little money.

I'll be busy working and unable to join you-all, but have fun eating. :D

jaberwockynmt on
    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heck yes, loved this last year. I'm in.

MarsChelios on
  • DrakanwolfDrakanwolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Add another 3 (my brother, my wife, & myself)! We love dim sum!

Drakanwolf on
    When there's trouble, you call DW!
  • ShaunathanShaunathan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I LOVE dim sum! My friend and I are going to this! PMing now!

Shaunathan on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey this sounds like a lot of fun to me! You can count me in as well, I will meet you at the Grand Hyatt lobby as I will be staying right across the street at the Paramount. :mrgreen:

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would love to do this but I'm already doing breakfast with the pre-pax girls meet up! Maybe next year!

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, I might be interested in this. I can never get enough Dim Sum and my wife has NEVER had it. I'll consult with the decision maker.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • diplomat_ashdiplomat_ash Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, this sounds like a great idea but I'm allergic to shrimp..well all shell fish actually. Enjoy guys.

diplomat_ash on
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    bah, youve excluded most of the girls from coming since theyll most likely be at the girls meet-up. this does sound delicious though

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Curses! I missed last year due to sleeping in and I will miss this year's due to the Girls' Meet-Up. Poo. There will be next year though.

Ooh, Dim Sum. I heart you. But I heart coffee more.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    3rd year in a row, hells yes.

redhalo on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    bah, youve excluded most of the girls from coming since theyll most likely be at the girls meet-up. this does sound delicious though

Yeah, sorry about that, while I'd love to go to the Girls' meet-up this'll be the third year and fourth time we've been doing this (I think) so I didn't want to not have it--plus, by its nature there's a big demographic of people who can't go to that meet-up :)

Hypatia on
  • kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd be down to go if someone who is going speaks Canto and can find out what does and does not have pork in it.

I almost never go to legit dim sum places without someone who speak Cantonese cause I have nfc what is pig and what isn't.

I don't do the pig. Generally ends very badly for me and the unfortunate toilet that happens to be on the receiving end. LOL

kazuo on
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    sounds like fun and it's been too long since I've had some dimsum

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    kazuo wrote: »
    I'd be down to go if someone who is going speaks Canto and can find out what does and does not have pork in it.

I almost never go to legit dim sum places without someone who speak Cantonese cause I have nfc what is pig and what isn't.

I don't do the pig. Generally ends very badly for me and the unfortunate toilet that happens to be on the receiving end. LOL
    Not having any Cantonese speakers in the party has never been a problem for finding out if things have which meats at any of the dims sum restaurants I've been to in Seattle. Sometimes the girl with the particular cart doesn't speak enough English, but someone is always available who does and they're all usually eager to help. The only things that are not obviously seafood-only or vegetable-only that I've ever seen that have no pork are:
    • Steamed Beef Noodle (giant rice noodles wrapped around little lumps of steak; most places don't make this)
    • Chicken Feet (varying degrees of yumminess depending on preparation)
    • Beef Tendon (totally delicious even though it sounds kinda gross to most non-Asians)
    • Barbecue chicken pastry (little filo dough pockets with chopped chicken and barbecue sauce inside)
    Everything else is either all seafood (mostly shrimp, sometimes scallop or oyster), or a mix of pork and other things. Almost everything has shrimp and at least half of all things have pork.

The safe bet for someone that eats no pork at a dim sum restaurant is: "If it looks like meat (brown/grey), assume it's pork."

jaberwockynmt on
    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
    edited August 2010
    Gotcha.

Over here in SF, at most good dim sum place we go to, they barely speak english. It's like kicking a dead horse trying to figure shit out sometimes. I usually roll with my friends who are from HK so they know wussup... and if they don't, they just ask for me. No language issues of course.

I'll give it a go, I guess. But you guys better get my back if I'm going for some pork. LOL.
    kazuo wrote: »

Not having any Cantonese speakers in the party has never been a problem for finding out if things have which meats at any of the dims sum restaurants I've been to in Seattle. Sometimes the girl with the particular cart doesn't speak enough English, but someone is always available who does and they're all usually eager to help. The only things that are not obviously seafood-only or vegetable-only that I've ever seen that have no pork are:
    • Steamed Beef Noodle (giant rice noodles wrapped around little lumps of steak; most places don't make this)
    • Chicken Feet (varying degrees of yumminess depending on preparation)
    • Beef Tendon (totally delicious even though it sounds kinda gross to most non-Asians)
    • Barbecue chicken pastry (little filo dough pockets with chopped chicken and barbecue sauce inside)
    Everything else is either all seafood (mostly shrimp, sometimes scallop or oyster), or a mix of pork and other things. Almost everything has shrimp and at least half of all things have pork.

The safe bet for someone that eats no pork at a dim sum restaurant is: "If it looks like meat (brown/grey), assume it's pork."

kazuo on
  • GrapesodaGrapesoda Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nomnomnom dim sum :D count 2 other people in (me and my boyfriend)

Grapesoda on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You might wanna add another 2, me and a friend.. still confirming plans on the Pre-PAX dinner :P... Lasagna and then dim sum, man this will be a multi-cultural food weekend!

Edit: Looks like I can't make it out :(

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love beef tendon, I blame pho for this.

ZeroHourHero on
  • AndymanAndyman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know about my friends, but i for one am in!

Andyman on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just as a side note for people who are interested in walking down as a group (if it isn't raining): the walk is about 20-25 minutes at a comfortable pace, not quite an amble but not a speed walk either. Like I said, if it's raining then we might just wait in the lobby and then pool together for cabs or take the bus.

Also, you will be able to identify us as a group because I will have a very large bright green flag.

Hypatia on
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This would be great. I'm in. I don't speak Cantonese, but it sounds like we have enough experienced Dim Sum'ers, myself included, to know what's what.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I thought this said Saturday morning. I'm probably busy on Sunday. I'm out.

For those of you going, try the blood pudding, if they have it. I'll warn those who have dietary restrictions... it's pig blood.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • HeatherlingHeatherling Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aw poo, wish I could make it... boothing at 10am that day :( Next year, perhaps!

Heatherling on
  • dacool561dacool561 Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Myself and 2 friends should hopefully be able to make it. I speak very little Cantonese, but been to enough dim sum restaurants with my family to know what most things are already. Plus if nothing else I know enough to just ask them if certain foods contain ingredients that you would like to avoid :P

dacool561 on
  • DragongemDragongem Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    This intrigues me and you can probably count me in :D

Dragongem on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If I can get up early enough after the Sat. night concerts I may join you on this =)

Rius on
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My friend can't eat pork or beef due to allergic reaction - chicken, fish/shrimp is fine however.

Dim Sum's probably not too safe in this regards huh? :/

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
    edited August 2010
    Arde wrote: »
    My friend can't eat pork or beef due to allergic reaction - chicken, fish/shrimp is fine however.

Dim Sum's probably not too safe in this regards huh? :/

Just gotta make sure to avoid stuff with meat. There's enough (good) stuff that doesn't have any meat at all that I think it should be fine. Lots of seafood stuff and stuff with eggs.

kazuo on
  • CyaninCyanin Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    My husband and I are definitely up for this. This will be our first time for dim sum (we've wanted to try it for quite awhile), so we're really excited to have experts to help us out. We're staying at the Grand Hyatt, so we'll be in the lobby around 9:30. Only 3 days 'til PAX!!

Cyanin on
  • DyanneNovaDyanneNova Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This sounds fun, count me in ^_^

DyanneNova on
  • supergluesuperglue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sent a PM, my friends and I are in for this!

superglue on
  • SolinusSolinus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm in! Time for some shumai and xia jiao :)

Solinus on
  • IndracoIndraco Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ooh, sounds interesting. I'm a dim sum noob here.

It still depends what time I wake up. I live near downtown, so I'll just look for you guys at the restaurant.

Indraco on
  • SolinusSolinus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    To the great couple that arranged this, Thanks! All the food was delicious. An awesome find.

Also, congratulations, and here are some links for Taipei:

http://hungryintaipei.blogspot.com/ - great food blog for any type of cuisine in Taipei
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Wulai - recommend taking the MRT to Wulai - a stream from a hot springs wends its way through town and people go there to stick their feet in :o
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Din_Tai_Fung - Best xiao lung bao in Taipei, some say the world
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shilin_Night_Market & http://www.raohe.com.tw/e1-1.htm - night markets!
    http://www.ymsnp.gov.tw/html/eng/index.asp YangMingShan National Park - be sure to catch erzhiping, the butterfly corridor
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Jiufen This town slopes dramatically down the coast just north east of Taipei...also nearby visit Jinguashi (Gold Mine) which, if you climb up, offers expansive views of the coast and parts of Taipei

Have fun!

Solinus on
This discussion has been closed.