As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Doodle) All Night Long (NSFW)

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    I just had an idea
    I will draw it when I get a chance

though it's not all hot and steamy

That's when you take your idea, and add a shower scene to it.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bone spiders in the shower!?

lyrium on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks, Gibs! That video is great. The last part really caught me off guard and there where some lulz to be had.

F87 on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    McGibs wrote: »
    BONE SPIDER!!!!!!

card_character_spiderfiend_03.jpg

edit: DOUBLE WHAMMY WITH PAINTING VIDEO! (complete with my furry mug and poor video editing sound errors!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE1G3WsPpAQ

do you duplicate your line layer and then paint on it or......?

NakedZergling on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    no, i just paint on a layer over top.

>Paints
    >sketch
    >basecolour (usually dark blue)

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gibs, are you somehow related to Seth Rogan?

The video is great.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We demand more videos!

F87 on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I agree that we demand more videos.

And thanks for the answered question!

NakedZergling on
    edited August 2010
    Hurgh, my hand! But I like how this one turns out.

one more bugger to do for the release tomorrow.
    card_character_beastnecro_03.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That video was great, Gibs! I love your technique. My only real question is your color choices. Were they pre-determined or did you make them on the fly? I noticed you really didn't change them up much after they were put down. That's probably one of the hardest things for me to deal with when I render a painting.

GurtPerk on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We should rename you Quickdraw McDraw gibs.

PROX on
    edited August 2010
    I pretty much just pull colours out of my ass. I'll have a vague idea of the colour scheme, like its going to be red or blue or green, then accent colours are pretty easy to pick (like browns and grays) then usually a complimentary colour for the background, (like orange for a green coloured guy).

It's pretty intuitive by now, I don't really consciously think about it.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    McGibs wrote: »

THAT is the definition of digital illustration! You made the colouring look easy. Haha. i initially looked away for 2 seconds and when i looked back, you had already painted the forest trees in.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited August 2010
    Alright. No one can accuse me of drawing the same things over and over again.

card_character_birdhouse_03.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Submit to your pigeon overlords!

Chromatomic on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I for one welcome our new pigeon overlords, I'd like to remind them that as a trusted IT consultant I can be useful for rounding up others to work in their mountain top breadcrumb factories.

Mustang on
    edited August 2010
    seeing mcgibs photoshop painting made me want to start a character forest scene. so heres my bullshit attempt at being as badass as mcgibs

WIP obviously

acrylic on computer paper.

awsykm.jpg

EDIT: i just realised, almost every nature shot i design, theres always a bloody bolder in the foreground. and they always look the same!!!

winter_combat_knight on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Junky sketch for some dungeons and dragons nonsense <3

shardsketch.jpg

Wassermelone on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    that face is looking kind of really broken, wck

Projeck on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gibs looks like skinny Seth Rogan. I too wish to see more videos. I love watching other people's working techniques.

What D&D poop is that Wasser? Wizards stuff or personal hullabaloo?

Scosglen on
    edited August 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Gibs looks like skinny Seth Rogan. I too wish to see more videos. I love watching other people's working techniques.

What D&D poop is that Wasser? Wizards stuff or personal hullabaloo?

Personal shenanigans!

Im not only dming a game, but there are two games I might be joining soon, and this is a character for one of em.

(also, I assume they have an NDA like the other rpg companies Ive worked with, so if it had been work stuff, it would have been really rather dumb of me)

Wassermelone on
    edited August 2010
    Easy-bake Owl-bot

owlbotcopy.jpg

Mustang on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    vnm1rb.png

Projeck on
    edited August 2010
    Why are girl mages always so grumpy.

Mustang on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PreMage Syndrome?

Looks like a 'lock to me, anyway. Or a tiny necromancer.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    More like a Seer of Light, I'd say...

RubberAC on
  • GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    84doodle1copy02.jpg

crazy doodle I did at like 5am last night. I tried experimenting with a lot with some different techniques. I do need to draw more, I've been stuck in 3D for work.

GurtPerk on
    edited August 2010
    gurt - i think thats pretty good.

Update of my acrylic 'chick in a forest' scene.

My scanner is not very good, and the poor paper quality bubbled up causing weird shadows, but you can still see the picture.

chcik-forest.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Try using thick paper next time...that helps with the warping problem.

NightDragon on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Buy some canvas board, it's cheap.

desperaterobots on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Awesome stuff from McGibs on the previous page.

Have bookmarked that video to watch later. Whenever I see work like that, it makes me want to learn how to paint digitally.

Grenn on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Trying to prove I know how to use Flash. Don't know if I succeeded.
    flash_police.jpg

People that choose to use vectors on a regular basis must be a lot more patient than I am, my go to art move is more just attacking the canvas in a spastic rage. Respect for Beavs has gone up yet another notch.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited August 2010
    inkSTANDOFF.jpg

NakedZergling on
    edited August 2010
    That's pretty badass, Zerg.

I posted this yesterday in my thread so pardon the cross-post; I'd just like to get more eyeballz on it as I build it up.

Started on a sample cover for my comic proposal (logo is currently placeholder):

cover_WIP2.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alright, I'm no artist so I'm gonna go at it with my other talents.

Is it supposed to be an in period Western? Because those really ought to be revolvers, if so.

If that weird firey rope is an actual physical combat rope, no trained user would wrap it around themselves in that way. There is something to be said for body wraps, but while moving they're a bit tougher to manage. Additionally, he'd probably want to have less of it extended so that he can get better leverage in order to manage a leg pull. Unless he's just really strong, which wouldn't require that, but it's good policy regardless.

Straightzi on
    edited August 2010
    I feel like Hunter and his rope are still too close to the border Squid

Wassermelone on
    edited August 2010
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Alright, I'm no artist so I'm gonna go at it with my other talents.

Is it supposed to be an in period Western? Because those really ought to be revolvers, if so.

If that weird firey rope is an actual physical combat rope, no trained user would wrap it around themselves in that way. There is something to be said for body wraps, but while moving they're a bit tougher to manage. Additionally, he'd probably want to have less of it extended so that he can get better leverage in order to manage a leg pull. Unless he's just really strong, which wouldn't require that, but it's good policy regardless.

I thought the standing end of the rope being a handful of fire pretty much established it was magic in nature and not an actual lariat.

No, it's not a period Western (it has magic, and steampunkish semi-automated weaponry). Still, I feel compelled to point out that those pistols, despite their clockwork automation, are tightly based on Volcanic repeating pistols, which were lever action, not revolving, and were very much an actual thing.

Wasser: I'm actually planning on maybe the edge of the rope on that side getting cropped off by a bleed trim. Does that change your verdict? If I pull him in too far it looks odd to me because Vane, despite her bodily mass being fairly far in, has so much cape/visual mass bleeding off the page. Does that make sense?

No?

Well, I think I trust your composition sense further than mine. How's this?

cover_WIP3.jpg

EDIT: Is there too much void for mere clouds? Should I bring it down to earth and put an actual setting? Should I add some birds? A muscle car?

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love your comic and I love your work, but that background has got to go.

Spoiler'd for rant:
    Also, the action depicted on the cover is all within the scale of the scenes in the comic. Why not go more bad ass with it? You gotta promise a little more to your readers. If I thought your comic was about people in suits in the clouds with guns, I might shy away a little.

You dont need to go super polished with your cover. I hesitate to make examples and weaken my point, buuuut:

Leinil Yu's covers for silent dragon. He doesnt change up his drawing style all that much, but he makes some things bigger, some smaller, the scale differentiations making for a little visual narrative. It kinda tells a truncated version of the story in pictures. It's like 'hey, lotsa different shit happens inside! Open me up yo!"
    http://www.andydiggle.com/assets/silentdragontpb.jpg

Mignola does this to. His covers look like ass now, cuz he doesnt like to draw anymore apparently, but the covers tell a little story on their own, you know.
    http://crosshatch.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/ftgm2.jpg

I dont want a splash panel for a cover is what I'm saying I guess. Maybe it's the difference between an example of what's inside versus more of an abstract summary? I don't know. I know that's a prelim cover, but you can make something more exciting for sure.
    Keep it up

MufasaJoe on
    edited August 2010
    Well, definitely appreciate the feedback. Did you happen to catch the other thumbnail I was kicking around for a sample cover for this?

coversketch1.jpg

You can't really tell with such chunky roughs, but Vane's got one of the Wanted posters in her hand, which is going up in flames. Everyone hated this idea and suggested I go with the other one; I preferred this one due to its ambiguity.

I don't know if I'm a fan of the cluttered vignette school of cover design, and I kind of envisioned always having Hunter and Black and nobody else on the covers to underscore its Spy v. Spyness. But you make a good point; a reader might not pick this up.

Nnngh. It's getting sickening, how long I've been putzing with this. :/

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited August 2010
    I have to say I can't stand that Leinel Yu cover. It just looks like a bunch of seperate drawings he threw together at the last minute to make the cover. Its just a bunch of stuff at varying levels of detail and doesn't even seem to attempt to have a composition.

I also really feel like you threw out those examples as if there was no such thing as a strong example of the type of cover squidbunny is trying to create. Im a huge fan of Mignola, but thats not the only cover style out there.
    MarkoDjurdjevic.jpg

Squid bunny - I think it looks better that way :)
    To explain, having something JUST cut off, or JUST on the page is distracting compositionally. Its still a form of tangent.

I also think you have some value problems over all - Ill try a paintover later.

Wassermelone on
This discussion has been closed.