As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Castlevania HD. The HD is not what you think.

SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
Because it stands for Harmony of Despair. I know, bummer, but shut up and pay attention. If you buy this game, maybe that will convince Konami to make an actual 2D HD Castlevania. Eh? EH? Good. Glad that convinced you. Anyway... It's a pretty solid affair regardless of the actual gameplay. So let's get started.
castlevaniaharmonyofdes.jpg
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair is an upcoming 2D action-adventure game for the Xbox Live Arcade. The game features a new map system that allows players to see the current quest map's entire setup, as well as up to six players at once over Xbox Live.

Gameplay includes a Co-Op mode, which plays like previous 2D Castlevania game's "Boss Rush Mode", but with several rooms and items to find, culminating in a boss to fight. It is also slated to include a Versus Mode, with battle occurring between players, possibly on a point-based system. Bosses are shown to be able to attack players on their way to the fight. The game features playable characters, such as Alucard, Soma Cruz, Jonathan Morris, Shanoa, and Charlotte Aulin, all from previous 2D Castlevania games.

All of the characters include 8 Palette Swaps to accommodate players that wish to be the same character. They will be joined by other characters through downloadable content, when released. The characters will have their own signature attacks and skills to use in battle. An all-new map system allows real-time zooming in and out of the current stage, which will not stop gameplay and even allow players to play with the map zoomed out. The game will also be played in High Definition (alluding to the initials of the title: Castlevania HD.) Other features in the game include a Book placed in certain parts of a level, which is the only way to change items and equipment mid-game. Consumable items such as potions, however, will be scrolled through and consumed using specified buttons on the controller. Also, the experience point system from most newer 2D Castlevania games has been taken out, reducing players to finding weapons and equipment as the only means of assisting the character.

castlevania-harmony-of-despair-20100706115826743.jpg

castlevania-harmony-of-despair-20100706115821243.jpg

castlevania-harmony-of-despair-20100706115829680.jpg

castlevania-harmony-of-despair-20100614065643674.jpg

Big image of a map.
castlevania-harmony-of-despair-20100722110046011.jpg

There are also achievements. Big surprise.
Lifeguard 10
Bring a comrade back from the dead.

Slick Kick 10
Defeat a boss using sliding.

Bone Cold Justice 10
Defeat an enemy by hitting back a Skeleton's bone.

Grim Synergy 10
Defeat a boss using a Dual Crush.

Poetic Justice 15
Defeat an ally who has been seduced by the enemy.

Vampire Hunter 15
Destroy the lord of Castlevania.

Grasshopper 20
Jump kick 30 times in a row without touching the ground.

Boned 20
Defeat a boss with 5 players in skeleton form.

Pack Rat 20
Collect 300 different types of items.

Wicked Deep Pockets 20
Amass 1,000,000 gold.

Slaughtervania 20
Rack up 10,000 enemy kills.

Hunter Legend 30
Complete Hard Mode.

Reviews:

Eurogamer 4/10
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/castlevania-harmony-of-despair-review

IGN 7.5/10
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/110/1109803p1.html

MSXbox World 7/10
http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/reviews/review/570/Castlevania-Harmony-of-Despair.html

1UP B
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3180702&p=4

All of that is official business. Personal feelings? I dig it. You are not required to beeline straight to the boss. There are chests littered throughout the level, some of them in out of the way spots. Buddies got a handle on the boss? Then feel free to go after those chests.

Many people complain about the lack of a leveling system, but to be honest, there is one, it's just not your typical Grind for XP setup. Magic, martial arts, and sub weapons all level up with repeated use. In the case of Jonathan, the use of subweapons increases the strength of the Vampire Killer whip.

You get tons of gold and stuff to sell throughout the game that will allow you to upgrade you weapons and abilities and this is satisfying. Individual characters have their own quirks and some exclusive requirements, but items can often be equipped across multiple characters, but it doesn't matter since you're just gonna use Alucard, right?

I've only played with Soma and Jonathan. Soma can conjure familiars that will level up, but his main attack is pretty damn slow.

Shanoa has this magnetic ability that is very useful in pretty much every level so far.

Sheep on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Tips:

In the defensive weapons menu, you can assign an item. To use this item, hold LT and then hit RT. I didn't know this until 5 hours in myself.

The invisibility cloak is trash. The only person that can't see you is you and your team mates.

Sunstone and Moonstone are based on your system clock, so equip them accordingly.
    Soma also has secret attacks with his weapons too. If you do the Hadoken movement ( Down forward punch), depending on what weapon he has equipped he does a special move that hits for double damage.
    Each of them cost 15sp or so to use though

This is what I know so far.

Halberd = Disappearing Strike : He jumps into thin air, and comes crashing down with his halberd. I think he might have some invincibility frames in there too.

Lance or spear like weapon = Step Thrust: He takes a step into his thrust, doing double damage, and allowing an additional thrust for normal damage to be made as a followup. This attack hits in the same space of time as a swing, or maybe a swing and a half.
    Cantido wrote: »
    Charlotte gains magic by blocking certain attacks:
    Fireball: Default, dragon heads
    Sickle Moon: the little imp bastards that fly around and control you...
    Demon Seed: the demon plant in chapter 2
    Summon Skeleton: the skeltons that throw bones
    Acedic Bubbles: the demon dog with wings in chapters 2 and 4
    Energy Flow: from the witches on brooms
    Heal: from the witches on brooms
    Flame Shot: the red demons in chapters 2-4
    Ice Needle: clear blue lady in chapter 2
    Poison Spores: The mushroom poison guys in chapter 2
    Raging Fire: White Dragon

All this stuff is going to warrant a thread soon...

Mermen on Stage 1 as well.

GamerTags:

Sheep - Sheeeeeeep

Sheep on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So sad this isn't on the PSN too.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Cowboybot67Cowboybot67 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Soma also has secret attacks with his weapons too. If you do the Hadoken movement ( Down forward punch), depending on what weapon he has equipped he does a special move that hits for double damage.
    Each of them cost 15sp or so to use though

This is what I know so far.

Halberd = Disappearing Strike : He jumps into thin air, and comes crashing down with his halberd. I think he might have some invincibility frames in there too.

Lance or spear like weapon = Step Thrust: He takes a step into his thrust, doing double damage, and allowing an additional thrust for normal damage to be made as a followup. This attack hits in the same space of time as a swing, or maybe a swing and a half.

Cowboybot67 on
    Cowboybot.png
    Yar!
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    But I like the invisible cape because it pumps my luck! I must find new shiny things.

GT: NickleDL

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mighty nice of them to not bother explaining that.

I like the game, but it could have used a few more months in the cooker.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    hodfullmap-660x495.jpg

From the Industry thread.

cloudeagle wrote: »
    First we had companies requesting us to pay microtransactions to unlock shit already on the disk. Now we've got Konami requesting us to pay microtransactions to unlock shit on a download.
    Less than 48 hours after the game went live, purported images and video of new content for Castlevania: Harmony of Despair have surfaced on the GameFAQs message board. This material appears to confirm a new level featuring new enemies and two additional characters including Julius Belmont.

GameFAQs user Bonovox_40 created a new topic titled “2 new characters + stage 7″ on Thursday night, posting a link to this image gallery. The images show a seventh chapter (pictured above) based on the pyramid levels from Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.

In addition, the images show new selectable characters Maria Renard (above, from Rondo of Blood) and Julius Belmont (Aria of Sorrow). When I reviewed Harmony of Despair, I noted the peculiar absence of Belmonts and speculated they would be sold separately. These images would seem to suggest that theory was correct.

For those who might dismiss still images as fraudulent, Bonovox_40 uploaded two videos in a separate topic an hour later. These videos clearly show Maria in motion singing a classic Castlevania tune and using her magical bird attack.

One last interesting image suggests that all of these additions will be separate downloads and that the new chapter will only be 4 megabytes of data. A file size that small could mean that much of the new content is already sitting on users’ hard drives waiting to be unlocked. That’s likely to irk more than a few potential customers, especially given the $15 price tag of the original game.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/08/castlevania-leaks/#ixzz0vq3sU08S

Blah.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Not explaining how these extra mechanics work is standard fare for Castelvania. Discover through experimentation! It's a feature!

Yeah, they're lazy bums.

How is the match making with randoms working out?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    From the XBLA thread:
    Cantido wrote: »
    Charlotte gains magic by blocking certain attacks:
    Fireball: Default, dragon heads
    Sickle Moon: the little imp bastards that fly around and control you...
    Demon Seed: the demon plant in chapter 2
    Summon Skeleton: the skeltons that throw bones
    Acedic Bubbles: the demon dog with wings in chapters 2 and 4
    Energy Flow: from the witches on brooms
    Heal: from the witches on brooms
    Flame Shot: the red demons in chapters 2-4
    Ice Needle: clear blue lady in chapter 2
    Poison Spores: The mushroom poison guys in chapter 2
    Raging Fire: White Dragon

All this stuff is going to warrant a thread soon...

Charlotte can also get a water attack from the Mer-men in stage 1.

Soma has a hadoken movement attack with the katana, too. It's barely noticeable until you score a hit with it. It has good range and can hit multiple enemies.

Renzo on