As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4e PbP] A Dragon, A Princess, and Adventure [WORLD MAP]

bratrbratr Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Critical Failures
ADVENTURE STARTED - RECRUITMENT CLOSED

UPDATE: Saturday

More details about the world are up, once the game starts I'll let people with specific background and educations know more details about each of the lands, or alternately ask them if they could fill in the blanks. I'll try to get around to making a simple map in MS paint or something.

Recruitment till Sunday: At that point if not all roles are filled I'll give first dibs to any people doubled up with others. If I have more people than I need I'll give precedence to people not playing in a DnD game right now. And if I'm still short I'll leave recruitment up for a couple more days till it fills up, first come first serve at that point, most likely.

If anyone has ideas for where their character came from, villages, training, orders, schools, families, whatever. Please PM them to me or post them in this thread, I'll incorporate as many as I can, I have a basic skeletal world I need it filled and personalized by my players.

The first thing I thought of when I saw RPG's and DnD was "Finally, I get to be the prince who rescues the princess, yet most games have different goals.

I'm posting this to test the waters on whether there is interest in something like this, whether there are games like this, whether its a stupid idea or over done idea, etc.

Finally more specifically if there is interest would you mind a first time GM.

World: Basically a fairy tale world, primarily human based society but there are definitely all the other types of races around. Magical creatures are around but not overly abundant, they need to be searched for or found by luck.

5 Kingdoms:
North, East, Crystal, West, and South.

Crystal Kingdom: A mix of forests, rolling hills, meadows, steams, lakes, and a few odd mountains. In the long past known to be a war torn place due to being in the center of the 4 larger (geographically) Kingdoms. It now is peaceful and prosperous due to its alliances with the East and South which it maintains through trade. The Crystal Kingdom is the richest in resources, especially rare metals and gems. It is not uncommon for families to have wealth in gems instead of gold.
Primary Races: Human and Elven are most populous but all races are strongly represented.

The North is mysterious and silent. Very little goes to and from the North. Although part of it is frozen constantly and creatures stereotyped as evil appear to be more common as you approach the North.

East: Don't know much about it, anyone who has ideas let me know. It is allied with the Crystal Kingdom.

South: Same as East, I hope that players will help make these two Kingdoms interesting. I have some ideas but I want to see if their is interest among players to help with the world building.

The West is a barren, desert land with several oasis where cities have sprung up. Due to the difficult conditions experienced when traveling city to city, no one ruler has held control of the entire kingdom. The most abundant races are Orc and Warforged.

If anyone wishes to use this information in their backgrounds, go ahead. I hope I'm not contradicting anyone's background. I hope to use the backgrounds of the characters to better sketch out the world.

Game Mechanics: I am PHB, PHB 2 kind of guy, anything outside of that needs to be spelled out to me and it would mean I'd have to go out and get the books or magazines.

Story Idea is below

The Tale of A Dragon, A Princess, and Adventure

By Midar Atrab: StoryTeller of Fern Abbey

Once upon a time in a land of rolling green hills and large crystal lakes there lived a beautiful princess. Her hair shone like the sun a brilliant gold. She was young and very beautiful. She was the apple of her father’s eye and he loved her very much. He was the King of the land as far as the eye could see and his palace stood on a hill and its crystal towers stretched into the sky. The country lived in peace and prosperity for many years.
Then on the princesses 19th birthday, also her wedding day a terrible event came to pass. While the all the knights were occupied in the grounds below with maintaining order as huge crowds gathered to see the wedding and the prince was according to custom preparing for the wedding across the castle in another tower, there came from the North a dragon. No one had ever seen him before; no one even suspected any dragons were left. He was massive he was larger than a hundred horses and had 3 heads. He glimmered in the sun, his scales a brilliant blue. He breathed cold, blue clouds from which snow started to fall and his eyes were like frozen lakes that made even the hardiest of knights freeze where they stood. In a matter of moments the dragon landed in the grounds, crushing tables, chairs, and men with the same ease. His center head reached into the princess’s window and immediately came out holding the princess.
Perhaps it was fear, perhaps it was courage, but the princess did not scream or panic. The dragon placed the princes upon his neck and took off, ignoring the few sword blades of the slowly recovering soldiers below. Flapping his wings the dragon floated through the air disappearing as quickly as he appeared, becoming a tiny point of blue on the Northern horizon.
Even before the dragon was fully gone activity began with earnest. Not wasting any time the King called for a party to rescue the princess. First of course to yell that he was going was the groom, a young prince, others quickly added their voice. The King wisely picked a group to accompany the prince, the wedding was put on hold and instead the event was called off to give the party a chance to pack and get to know one another. The following day the party set off, it would take a day or so to cross the territory that belonged to the king but then they would enter the unknown lands to the North; danger, exotic places, magical creatures, and adventure awaited….

I'd be looking for a Prince and then another 3 - 4 characters.

I'm open to suggested level starts although I think low level start of even 1st level won't matter as I don't plan on making the dragon something something the players fight, or if they do I'll just reskin a crocadile or something.

I'll post more guidelines if my idea doesn't get immediately shot down.

Character creation

- Use PHB 1 and 2 if you go outside that just let me know what it is that you took from elsewhere so I at some point try and find it in my books.
- 22 - Point-Buy, Character sheets from DnD Character creator would be great as then I don't need to do too much double checking, just post them on Orokos.com
- I'm stealing this from Squints Shadowfell and Beyond game:
"Characters will begin with general equipment. You can do this using the Auto Buy button in the character generator, but it is basically: The best armor your character can wear (that isn't a magic item), the best weapon/implement combo (ex: dagger/orb for wizards, again not a magic item), adventurer's gear, and a ranged weapon choice for melee characters without magic - you will have 20 bullets/arrows or 5 daggers to throw or 3 javelins to throw."

- A level 1 magic item, if possible describe how it was acquired in your background <- thats a suggestion not a requirement.
- Multiple submissions are fine, I'll be looking to A) Get people playing who aren't yet B) Fill all the positions C) How well the character fits in with the others, and how well it fits with my idea of the world.

______________________________________________________________________________________

THE PARTY:

Player - Character - Class

STRIKERS:

Crimson Phantom - Erdan Arwein, Elf Archery Instructor. - Ranger
3clipse - Jamie Calrion, Noble Duelist and Lovable Scoundrel - Rogue

LEADERS:

Alkey42 - Prince William Lancaster, Crown Prince of the Realm - Bard

DEFENDERS:

mightyjongyo - Zellan, human paladin of Avandra - Paladin

CONTROLLERS:

Kilroy - Ottellyn "Otter", Gnome Wizard and Castle Librarian - Wizard

bratr on

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm kinda interested, but I don't know if you're looking for experienced players.

I've never done any PbP or D&D for reals, my experience is basically neverwinter nights and one not-very-strict 3.5e session soo yea.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm not looking for any specific kind of player, it was more to see if there was interest even. I think that the people who hover around the penny-arcade boards though are more novel ideas. There is also a lot of great GM's about so I understand that chances of getting any players will be low.

I guess I could have posted this in the DnD discussion area instead, I actually considered it yesterday after logging off, but if a few people like you get interested then I'll go through with it and run the game. It would be a learning experience for me.

If you are interested then try making a level 1 character submission, maybe if we start having people signing up more people will come check out the thread.

bratr on
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd suggest giving it a little bit before you get discouraged.

There are a lot of games running right now. When I put my game up, I only got about 1 person interested per day. Previous PbP's that i'd seen were getting 3-4 a day.

Finally, when I said "I'm going to close recruitment tomorrow" I got like 2 or 3 more quick.

But i think the board's just pretty busy right now.

I'm in too many games, otherwise I'd give it a shot.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the encouragement

bratr on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    bratr wrote: »
    World: Basically a fairy tale world, primarily human based society but there are definitely all the other types of races around. Magical creatures are around but not overly abundant, they need to be searched for or found by luck.

Cool. Being the heroes of fairy tales and legends is a great idea for a D&D game.
    Game Mechanics: I am PHB, PHB 2 kind of guy, anything outside of that needs to be spelled out to me and it would mean I'd have to go out and get the books or magazines.

Also cool. There's nothing wrong with limiting material to that with which you are familiar.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    bratr wrote: »

Cool. Being the heroes of fairy tales and legends is a great idea for a D&D game.

Also cool. There's nothing wrong with limiting material to that with which you are familiar.

Thank you for this kind of input, in case it wasn't clear from my first post, even if you aren't interested in joining, please let me know what you think, after all its the only way I'll improve.

bratr on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yeah, that's what i was going for. fantasy is more fantastical if your characters are the ones who are special and get to meet fantastical beasts that terrify the shit out of non-heroic people.

i would normally submit something but i have

let's see

GM'ing a long-running saga game

Playing in 2 fourth edition games

Playing in an Exalted game

about to start playing a Hunter: The Vigil game

so...

I'd like to leave it open for people who aren't playing and would like to! Because I got lotsa games atm.

You might also think about posting recruitment in the sticky "PbP Game Index" thread that you'll see at the top of the Critical Failures board.

I can keep an eye on it and throw suggestions here and there though!

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That would be really great thanks.

bratr on
  • Options
    Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm in 2 games right now, but I can always whip something together. I got an idea for a lower level version of a character I made before. I will post someone tomorrow :D

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm still interesting in playing, btw. I've been away from home all day so I haven't downloaded the character builder yet.

I know someone else who might be interested in playing too, but she doesn't have access to a computer for another day or so.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No problem I haven't set a start date yet although I will as soon as I get home tommorow, I was supposed to be home but our family visit got extended thus my post was a tad premature anyway.

If anyone has questions about the world or character creation just post them here or PM me. Also if anyone has any suggestions for Magical creatures they'd like to meet I'd welcome ideas that would make the game more enjoyable for my players.

bratr on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm just gonna let you know right now. I'll be throwing in an Elf Ranger, expert marksman and highly skilled with the bow. Head Instructor of the archer's training, he leaves his position to his second in command to assure the safe return of the princess. I'll give a more detailed background, with pic and sheet once I get home.

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'll say it now, As long as roles don't overlap majorly I'll accept everyone ( assuming we don't have 100's of applications)

bratr on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm seeing something about heroic tier items - are these allowed?

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    level 1 - 20 is heroic

then beyond that is Paragon

im sure others will correct me if I'm wrong

As far as items go, don't go crazy but get everything that you should have to fill your position in the party: Armor, Weapons, Adventuring Gear, etc.
    The auto-buy button pretty much does it for you. And in addition I'm allowing one 1st level magical item, although this should in some way be tied to the characters role or background

For example: Captain of the guard uses a +1 Magic Longsword because its the sword that gets given to each Captain of the Guard.

bratr on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Actually 1-10 is heroic, 11-20 is paragon, 20-30 is epic. Also just as a side thought, if you don't know what to take for your magical item here's a quick list of what might be useful depending on your profession:

Knight - Either a Magical Shield, or Armor
    Archer - Bow or Goggles that give a +1 bonus to attack rolls (I believe they are called Eagle Eye goggles, will correct tomorrow)
    Blacksmith - Magical anything that you can forge, or perhaps the person you are an apprectice to forged for you
    Jewler - Amulet of Protection (a +1 bonus to Fort, Reflex, and Will probably the single best lvl 1 magic item out there)
    Prince - Any of the above, he's royalty.

Any other classes/jobs you want an idea for let me know. I'd be happy to help

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    licwidcakelicwidcake Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd be interested in playing. I will try to make something tonight.

licwidcake on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm always willing to play DnD. I would submit a character to this if you were going to run it.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Squints wrote: »
    Also, put something like [RECRUITING] in the title. I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert on DMing here(I'm doing my first game right now) but that one game has given me gobs of experience. Lemme know if you need anything.

That might be a good idea thanks

bratr on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So is this a real thing that's happening?

Any preferred classes for the Prince or the entourage?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I have no preferences, as long as our party has all the necessary roles filled I'm happy.

So a leader, a controlled, a defender, and 1-2 Strikers.

Yes this will be happening just bare with me as I'm DMing for the first time.

bratr on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Coolbeans. When will you be recruiting until?

Will probably submit some kind of Fighter to this, likely Knight/Kingsguard flavored (or Princeguard, in this case xD).

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Allow me to introduce the first character submission, I limited him to being just from Player Handbook 1, with the only addition is a background, from PHB2.

Erdan Arwein , Elf Archery Instructor

Background:
    Born and raised in the woods the elves lived in a peaceful town. Their village was weaved with with the arcane arts to literally bend the trees to form pathways and houses for all the elves that lived there. Erdan was no exception, he spent his childhood running around in the forest and playing with the other children. However this was not the life he was allowed to lead, his father was an instructor of archery to the kings men, and thus the duty fell upon Erdan's shoulders to continue the legacy and teach the kings men how to shoot a bow. When he was old enough to begin his training his father took him to the palace barracks and tutored him in the ways of archery.
    Once his father retired (at the young age of 170) he had taught literally thousands of people the secrets of the bow and arrow, now it is Erdan's turn to teach. In a small ceremony held at the palace the change of instructor was held, Erdan received his father's bow, just as he had from his father before him, and so on since the beginning of the kingdom. As Erdan's first day as instructor arrived he prepared himself to teach a new batch of recruits or at least that's what he thought would happen...until the dragon came.

Image:
    4545109651_e80d6e51db_z.jpg

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Umm, mechanics question: can I use a power from MP or MP2, if I'm using a class/race/class features from PHB?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm actually pondering making a character for this anyway...I can squeeze one more in ;)

I'm not sure what it's going to be...I had one class in mind, but it's ending up....I'm not sure if I like it ;)

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yea, I second 3clipse. It was hard to keep it in the scope of just PHB1 for powers/feats, and if you have the Character Builder it's pretty easy to check out the descriptions of everything

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmm. Kinda wanna get in this, but do I really need another dnd game. Oh who am I kidding.

3clipse, you and I are gonna have a fighter-off.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hmm...Aegof I'm not sure I can do that since you're DMing for me in another game, and risking your wrath would be...unwise...

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm thinking Bard Prince, with chiseled chin and a natural leader. What I can't decide is if he's a rogueish don't really want to settle down lady's man, or a cavilier here I come to save the day guy.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well if we go with a classic story, caviler save the day guy

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Alkey42 wrote: »
    I'm thinking Bard Prince, with chiseled chin and a natural leader. What I can't decide is if he's a rogueish don't really want to settle down lady's man, or a cavilier here I come to save the day guy.

Go in keeping with the classically classic princess adventure with the cavalier saving-the-day guy!

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Checklist:

Prince (of either the Dashing or Secret Heir variety)

Sidekicky Small Person (either Plucky or One-Liner Comic Relief)

Minstrel (either Virtuoso or Struggling)

Wizard (Master of Magic or Unrecognized Apprentice)

and Big Guy Of Some Exotic Race (Chewbacca or... well, Chewbacca)

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dibs on the Chewbacca trope!

Rhogar

4590963774_22dfeb7209_o.jpg

Rhogar is the princess's sworn protector & bodyguard. Nothing in his life has ever brought him more shame than watching his charge get spirited away on her birthday; he's vowed to leave the kingdom, seek out the young maiden and return her home safely, or forfeit his own life.

Sheet:

http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2368

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Tropes are all well and good, but I should hope we won't be confined to them.

Jendolyn Nenvigela, Captian of the Royal Guard

It would have gone well, if not for the dragon. She never could have predicted it's arrival, never have been able to stop it even if she had. But it was still a failure. Her failure. Guilt is not rational. Jemdolyn retired that day, in truth if not in word. Gone is the charismatic leader of soldiers, the woman as versed in politics as the sword. Only duty remains, cold and hard. Duty and guilt.
    Jen's a sword-and-shield Fighter, defending her allies by pushing her enemies around. She likes to have damaging terrain and zones to knock enemies into with Combat Challenge and Tide of Iron. A controller that can make those is basically going to be her best friend.

And since there was no nice spot to put it in the story bit, that Amulet of Protection is her symbol of office: both an honor and a reminder that a dead protector is worthless.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So the thing with PHB and PHB 2, its not a big deal if you go outside of those two as long, its just that I've read the PHB 1 and 2 back to front, and I just like them thats all.

As for selection, I'll put this in the first post as well but if I have all the slots filled on Sunday I'll close recruitment, I don't like making decisions about who to let play.

Also if everyone wouldn't mind adding what kind of DnD game activity they have on the boards. I'd like to give people who aren't playing yet a chance to play, if you've already go into one of the other games, chances are you'll just get annoyed since I'm new to DMing.

Also I'll start listing applications in the main post in the evening, about 9 ish (thats Canadian Pacific Time like +7 or something).

bratr on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm already playing a D&D game, so feel free to give someone else my spot if you fill up.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll roll up a wizard character and post it later tonight. This sounds like a ton of fun.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm in two games right now: I'm playing in Farangu's Fantastical Contraption, and running Worldship. If someone who isn't in any games shows up wanting to Defender, by all means take them instead.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Welp, I was gonna roll a Fighter, but I'm not gonna compete with Aegof :P

And no GM ever would run 2 Defenders in a 5 person game xD

Hmm. Will probably roll up a rogue here in a bit, snarky-sidekick flavor.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just to clarify, would I be able to use things from Arcane Power as long as I let you know the specifics of them?

Kilroy on