As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Monday Night Combat - You got DotA in my Guns!

CantidoCantido Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
"PA MNC Clan - FULL". Send your invites to A PA MNC. I'm running the same rules as I did with MW2 in that I won't be sending invites, as everybody sending one invite is better than me sending every invite. I also run on wacky Australian time-zones, so if your invite hasn't been accepted after a while, post here or PM me.

Cheers!

THIS GAME IS NOTHING LIKE TEAM FORTRESS 2. THEY HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON BUT GUNS. WATCH THE VIDEO FIRST
This warning is not coming down until people get the message.

What is MNC? VIEW THIS FIRST

As you can see, Monday Night Combat is a console Action/RTS in the vein of Guilty Gear 2 and Brutal Legend. Yes you make units like you would in an RTS, but you get to fight along side them, making them much more frantic than a typical RTS.

MNC borrows heavily from Defense of the Ancients. Your army is not directly under your control, so those who are concerned about too much RTS can relax. Your units passively march to the opposing side in a predetermined path drawn on the ground, and if left alone, will just cancel out opposing units for all eternity.

It's up to YOU, a "Pro" (hero unit), to back up your army to push to the other side. You do this by helping them fight off the opposing units, as well as the opposing Pros trying to do the same thing. Once at the other side, they can take down the enemy Moneyball (base) and lower it's shield. Then both you and your army can destroy it for a win.

Killing opposing Pros and units yields money that you can pick up and spend on better units, defensive turrets on your base, or new abilities for yourself! If you are not a team player, and want to be in the middle of the action, you can spend lots of money on new abilities. If the task calls for defense, you can buy, and upgrade, turrets. And of course, you can spend on bigger and better robots to fight their way into the opposing base.

How you play will depend on the Pro you choose. There are six classes, and there are no factions. Battles are always Hotshots vs Icemen (Red vs Blue).

The classes (NO THIS GAME IS NOT LIKE TF2)

So the class you choose determines how you fight, as well as your personal role in a team match.

The Assault Pro has a machine gun and grenade launcher. They will be fighting alongside the bots most, as well as hunting down opposing pros, and are an all around "big play" unit.

Primary Fire - Machine Gun. Left trigger gives you more focused aiming.
Alternate Fire - Grenade Launcher. Fires grenades that bounce or explode on enemy contact. Left trigger is a grapple.

Assault Abilities
X - Bomb. Lobs a grenade that stays on the ground and highlights its radius. Press X again to detonate it. Great for large clusters of enemies.
Y - Flight (Passive). Pressing the jump button again lets you hover in the air for a moment. Key to guarding against Assassins.
B - Dash. Lets you charge and ram into enemies. Capable of knocking them over or, when upgraded, performing a Shoryuken-esque grapple.
Class Upgrade - Improve jump height and critical shots.

The Tank is a big slob is slow and heavy. He carries a Jet Engine that is powerful, but has limited range. For long range fighting, it can be modified into a rail gun to pick off mid to long range enemies.

Primary Fire - Jet Gun. Fires a short range stream of heat that can kill enemies almost instantly.
Alternate Fire - Rail Gun. Fires long range rifle shots. Good for medium to long range.

Tank Abilities
X - Product Grenade. Lobs a grenade that damages enemies. When upgraded, it blinds the opponent's screen with advertising.
Tank Deploy. Morphs you into a turret. Jet Gun increases range, and your defense and healing increases.
B - Jet Charge. Lets you charge and ram into enemies.
Class Upgrade - Increases Health and Health recovery.

The Sniper stays in the back and picks off enemy pros and robots from a distance. They can also set traps around themselves, or the enemy routes to slow them down.
Primary Fire - Sniper Rifle. Left trigger lets you zoom.
Alt Fire - SMG. Basic smg to defend yourself at close range. Left trigger is a grapple.

Sniper Abilities
X - Flack Press X to throw a grenade that damages an area for a time.
Y - Traps. Throws a debuffer that slows enemies for defensive purposes.
B - Grapple. A grapple that spins or throws enemies. So this character always has a grapple available.
Class Upgrade: Adds penetration and explosions to the sniper rifle.

The Support has a healgun for healing, and a shotgun to defend themselves.
Primary Fire - Healgun. Right trigger heals allies. Left trigger steals health from enemies.
Alt Fire - Shotgun. Right trigger fires a limited range shot. Left trigger is a grapple.

Support Abilities
X - Hack Turret. Hold X near a turret and it will be upgraded beyond it's current level.
Y - Firebase. Throws a turret that can fight enemies and protect you.
B - Airstrike.. Throws a beacon that can stick to enemies and command bomb drops from the sky. DOES NOT go through bridges. If someone is on a bridge, just throw the airstrike underneath them for a sucker punch.

The Assassin has shurikens and a dagger for sneaking up on enemies and shanking them.
Primary Fire - Dagger. A close range knife for shanking enemies. Reload performs a lunge attack. Left trigger is an assassin grapple.
Alt Fire - Shuriken Launcher. Rapidly fires shurikens that bounce. Left trigger is another grapple.

Assassin Abilities
X - Dash Press X for a quick boost of speed to run in or out of the fray.
Y - Cloak. A classic cloak straight out of Halo or Predator.
B - Smoke bomb. Instanly blind enemies around you to escape.
Class Upgrade - Change the Dagger to a Sword, and decrease fall damage.

The Gunner could be called Heavy Weapons Guy. He is rather mellow and focused on protecting others. But is good for offense too.
Primary Fire - Minigun. A classic heavy machine gun. Left trigger revs it when not in use.
Alt Fire - Mortar Launcher. Launches mortars. Left trigger is a grapple.

Gunner Abilities
X - Slam Create a shockwave that knocks away and stuns enemies.
Y - Gunner Deploy. Become a turret. Improves Attack and Defense, but you can't move.
B - Grapple. A powerful grapple. So you always have a grapple available.
Class Upgrade - Minigun becomes a Double Minigun. Mortars fragment in midair. Grapple improves to become a throw.

The Pro you pick determines where you'll be doing your fighting, but no matter who you are, it's your bots who much crack the Moneyball shield.

Your Army

Here is a picture of the different type of robots you can purchase. Each has different costs, strengths and weaknesses, but they all have the goal of reaching the opposing side and lowering it's shields for you.
800px-MNC_robots.jpg

Bots come in two classes: Breach Bots and Eliminator Bots. Breach Bots are freebies. They automatically spawn out of your base in groups of two or three, and battle with nearby enemy Pros or Bots. They ultimately work their way to the Moneyball to lower it's shields. Eliminator Bots cost money. Your pro can go to a bot's spawn point and pay $100 for their Eliminator Bot, specific to their class. Elimiator Bots are for attacking and antagonizing opponents, and do not work their way to the Moneyball, or even use the route drawn on the ground.

Breach Bots: Free units who automatically spawn and fight their way to the Moneyball.
Slim - A small, weak mook that just shoots a little and dies quick.
Blackjack - The standard bot that fights in packs of up too three and is quite durable.
Jackbot XL - A MASSIVE bot with a lot of health that will wipe out turrets, Pros and bots in the way.

Eliminator Bots - Each class can purchase a specific type that hunts opposing pros. They cost 100$.
Buzzer (Assault) - Comes in groups. They fly in the air, swarm onto opponents and self destruct.
Gremlin (Assassin) - Imitates the Assassin. Turn on cloaking and tried to shank opponents.
Gapshot (Support) - Fires mortars high in the air while walking forward.
Scrambler (Sniper) - Approaches opposing Pros and drains their ability cooldown.
Bouncer (Tank and Gunner) - Charges into the enemy lines and tries to grapple Pros.

Defense Turrets
Pitgirl is a cheeleader/engineer, with mad jiggle physics. You purchase Defensive Turrets from her. Good placement can be key to good defense. If they blow up, it takes a while for one to be replaced. If you see one damaged, UPGRADE it to restore it's health.

Up - LazRazor Turret. Very cheap, basic turret. Put them in the front for early defense.
Down - Shaved Ice Turret. A debuff turret that fires ice to slow down enemies. Put them away from the front, and around corners.
Left - Long Range Turret. A mortar. Keep these away from the front lines and they will pick off enemies from far away.
Right - Rock It Turret. A very expensive but powerful turret. You cannot purchase these right away.

The Mascot: Bullseye
Adding a pinch of random party elements, occasionally a Mascot will jump around and act stupid, dropping money. Shoot him as much as you can to get him to drop more, but collect it carefully. If you touch the Mascot, he WILL send you flying.

Developer Match Walkthrough

Developer 2nd Match Walkthrough

Wow! That looks so NOT like TF2!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
Cantido on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been sort of looking forward to this, at least to see if it crashes and burns or something. I really like the enthusiasm and the verve, especially when it comes to ripping off TF2. I don't hate DotA but I've always thought it would be nice to control my character in a more exciting way.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This game looks awesome.

It just needs a decently sized community to back it up or else it will faillllll..

Still though, I will probably be getting this. :)

4rch3nemy on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    This game looks awesome.

It just needs a decently sized community to back it up or else it will faillllll..

Well one on one matches are fine in Blitz Mode.

Because this isn't TF2. :P

Cantido on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cantido, you silly goose.

I had been working on an OP for this for the past couple days. It was going to be my first and most glorious OP.

You have robbed me...

Good OP, though. :x

ObiFett on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    bought

joshgotro on
    edited August 2010
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Cantido, you silly goose.

I had been working on an OP for this for the past couple days. It was going to be my first and most glorious OP.

You have robbed me...

Good OP, though. :x

Post it. I'll have this locked and deleted. I'll send you my comparions later.

Cantido on
    edited August 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    This game looks awesome.

Blitz mode is purely co-op. So no "one on one"s.

Think Horde mode meets tower defense. That's Blitz.

ObiFett on
    edited August 2010
    ObiFett wrote: »
    This game looks awesome.

Blitz mode is purely co-op. So no "one on one"s.

Think Horde mode meets tower defense. That's Blitz.

Ah, damn. BL has the opposite problem: One on one is the standard matchmaking, and team matches are very hard to set up.

When you make the new thread, I need to link to it and lock this.

Cantido on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Now that I've got some information on this (cause just from the pictures and XBL's limited description, thought it was a TF2 knock-off) I might have to get the demo, with the intent on purchase once I have money.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can't watch the videos at work but I'm getting a really TF2 feel from this. Which is kinda sad, because it will have a tiny community being XBLA multiplayer and I already have TF2 on the PC to play.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    read the OP, its NOTHING like TF2.

Unfortunately, I had way more interest when I thought it WAS a TF2 ripoff. RTS? Brutal Legend knockoff? Thanks for saving me 1200 points.

Allforce on
  • RasputinAXPRasputinAXP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looks like TF2 to me.

RasputinAXP on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So this is basically Team Fortress 2, right?
    I kid. Actually seems like a pretty neat idea that I have no real interest in.

UnbreakableVow on
  • 2MuchJuice2MuchJuice Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can't watch the videos at work but I'm getting a really TF2 feel from this. Which is kinda sad, because it will have a tiny community being XBLA multiplayer and I already have TF2 on the PC to play.

Not all of us our neckbeards who play on our PCs. Some of us have real friends and like to play sitting from the comfort of our couch and playing online on the best service around: XBOX live so don't call it a TF2 clone brah

2MuchJuice on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    2MuchJuice wrote: »

Not all of us our neckbeards who play on our PCs. Some of us have real friends and like to play sitting from the comfort of our couch and playing online on the best service around: XBOX live so don't call it a TF2 clone brah

Wow.

UnbreakableVow on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

o_O

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • RasputinAXPRasputinAXP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

betty-white-deal-with-it.gif

RasputinAXP on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010
    Eh check out his other posts he's just a troll account.

In other news the real comparison for this game shouldn't be Brutal Legend so much as DotA, I would think, although I never actually played Brutal Legend.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited August 2010
    Allforce wrote: »

Unfortunately, I had way more interest when I thought it WAS a TF2 ripoff. RTS? Brutal Legend knockoff? Thanks for saving me 1200 points.

More like Guilty Gear 2 than Brutal Legend. It's dumbed down even further. You don't even command anything.

EDIT. You clearly didn't watch the video.

Cantido on
    edited August 2010
    I did, it basically caused me to do a 180 on a game I was anticipating. Thanks for assuming I was just basing my opinion on your glorious words though.

Allforce on
    edited August 2010

More like Guilty Gear 2 than Brutal Legend. It's dumbed down even further. You don't even command anything.

I'm not sure "dumbed down" is the right word. DotA isn't a "dumb down" Warcraft III. It's an entirely different genre (its own genre until stuff like this started popping up, basically).

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited August 2010

I'm not sure "dumbed down" is the right word. DotA isn't a "dumb down" Warcraft III. It's an entirely different genre (its own genre until stuff like this started popping up, basically).

Did DotA have unit command? Guilty Gear had The Organ, a map in which you can click on your guys and command them to move to a new node. This game appears to have forgone unit command completely.

Cantido on
  • BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Played this game @ PAX East, it was awesome. I only got to try out the Assault class, wanted to get a crack at the rest. I'm definitely gonna pick this up to tide me over until Reach.

BladeOfSanjuro on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Might be more excited for this than Reach just because it reminds me so much like SmashTV.

joshgotro on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Did DotA have unit command? Guilty Gear had The Organ, a map in which you can click on your guys and command them to move to a new node. This game appears to have forgone unit command completely.
    DotA, and the like, just aren't RTS games. Controlling more than one unit isn't where the gameplay comes in.

It's like saying Civ 4 is a totally dumbed down FPS because you don't even have to aim to kill things.

Mario is a totally dumbed down 4X game because all you need to do to fix the Mushroom Kingdom is save the princess.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010

You're on notice.

Echo on
    edited August 2010
    DotA, and the like, just aren't RTS games. Controlling more than one unit isn't where the gameplay comes in.

It's like saying Civ 4 is a totally dumbed down FPS because you don't even have to aim to kill things.

Mario is a totally dumbed down 4X game because all you need to do to fix the Mushroom Kingdom is save the princess.

I'm trying to find a good DotA video, representative of the core gameplay to help people understand MNC, but I'm an outsider I guess. Since you have the experience and feel that strongly about how to define both MNC and DotA, I change the thread title.

But do you see any good, representative videos of DotA? All I see are music videos and pretentious crap.

Cantido on
  • klokklok Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think outside from the general concept (swarms of bots pushing to each others base) dota and mnc have nothing in common. Dota is stat pumping and abilities, the bots become obsolete once you get to mid/end game. This looks like it's taking a different direction in how players handle their army production/defenses etc. DoTA is all about me myself and I, you never buy anything that helps anything else unless you are a support class, and that's only for your teammates.

klok on
    edited August 2010
    I'm trying to find a good DotA video....

impossible!

Allforce on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Unfortunately, dota is a bit tough for most people to bother summing up with a simple video. It's niche enough that most people trying to learn want to go all in.

If you really want to know, then this series does a pretty good job. How much of this will apply to MNC is sketchy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHL-ZoQZrfE

Heroes of Newerth is the same game, and has slightly less long winded videos. Skip ahead a couple of minutes to where the game actually starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGtG8W25Q7E

Or you could just browse a guide.

So the real question now is whether or not MNC will have denies.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited August 2010
    League of Legends doesn't have denies and its one of the biggest DotA style games out there. ;)

I honestly think this game is the perfect blend of TF2 and the DotA genre.

TF2: Class similarity, humor, style
    DotA: Ability upgrades, resource management, minions, towers, base

Good news is that Uber plans on supporting this game for a while, they've already announced that they will have new content shown at PAX Prime and will continue to add things to the game. ALSO, if it sells well, they want to expand on this concept and flesh it out to a full version style game. Think different teams, more classes, more abilities, more arenas, more.... well you get the point.

ObiFett on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That was sarcasm. There's no way a game with that marketing push would have something like denies.

Supporting the game is a good thing. A Must, actually; of all the competitive genres around, dota clones need the most content updates to keep them going.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited August 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktsVSqotm5o

Different Arena, different class

Support class looks interesting.

ObiFett on
    edited August 2010
    Medic looks nice.

joshgotro on
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    WANT.
    Wonder what the custom classes are. Something to do with the protags they keep mentioning?

EtherealWalrus on
    edited August 2010
    Custom classes allow you to choose the endorsements for your character, rather than use the preset ones.

Endorsements are basically perks. You choose a bronze, silver, and gold level endorsement from these sponsors. You can't have more than one of the same type or more than one of the same category. So no picking the reload speed buff on all three levels.

So when creating a custom class, you choose the class then assign the endorsements giving you the ability to have a fast Tank, or a health regen Assassin, or whatever you want. You can unlock more endorsements by spending lifetime earnings.

ObiFett on
    edited August 2010
    When does this game even come out? I need to get my turret building/ dude shanking fix. And soon.
    Also, those are the greatest perk descriptions of all time.

EtherealWalrus on
    edited August 2010
    Wednesday

joshgotro on
    edited August 2010
    Fuck yes.

EtherealWalrus on
    edited August 2010
    Also, those are the greatest perk descriptions of all time.

I particularly like this one:

achilles_banner.jpg

If the mind is your enemy's greatest weapon, all the more reason to shoot them in head.

Our disposable ocular implants include full-scale real time anatomical maps of the opponent of your choosing. Achille’s brand ocular implants are NOT void where prohibited. Do you hear that, Vermont? Go suck an egg.

Makes me laugh everytime...

ObiFett on
This discussion has been closed.