As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Deals

captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Two great sites for finding deals.

http://www.steamgamesales.com/stores.php
http://twitter.com/videogamedeals

This is basically a script that finds everything on steam and the other digital distributors that's discounted. It's ordered most recent->oldest, so checking the top periodically will keep you abreast of all the current sales. Their twitter posts all their front page deals, without the reviews and podcasts, nice for getting to the nitty-gritty.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/

Cheapassgamer handles all the rest. They keep you up to date on retail or online deals. The owner posts bigs stuff to the main page, and the forums keep track of all kinds of deals. The forums are also really good for finding out if a certain coupon works for a certain game, whether you can combine deals or not, and other details.

http://gizmodo.com/tag/dealzmodo/

Games and more! (courtesy of Darlan)

http://canadiangamingdeals.com/

If you pay for things in moosedollars, this site if for you (courtesy of EvilMonkey)

captaink on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Ok I guess everyone's jumping on the bandwagon for Paradox sales. They're on Steam, Impulse, and Direct2Drive now too.

captaink on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I keep wanting to try out one of those complex paradox games but always back down, no excuse now i guess since I skipped em in the last sale, this is fate.

I just have such a hard time deciding if I should go for HoI or Europa.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Your local gamestop is running a big sale this week as well, 10-35% off new merch with games like FF13 adn GoW3 in the bins.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    I keep wanting to try out one of those complex paradox games but always back down, no excuse now i guess since I skipped em in the last sale, this is fate.

I just have such a hard time deciding if I should go for HoI or Europa.

There's a paradox games thread floating around G&T that you could poke into and ask, they seem to know their stuff. Having never played either, but seen some LPs, Europa seems a little more general, and HOI more war-focused.

captaink on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    UncleChet wrote: »
    Your local gamestop is running a big sale this week as well, 10-35% off new merch with games like FF13 adn GoW3 in the bins.

Noooo, not now

I have no monies at all

I should not be looking in this thread

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They seem to be changing exactly what kind of bundle you get every other day or so, but it looks like Walmart is trying to get rid of their old SKU Wiis (so no motion plus/Wii Sports Resort) with deals. Right now it's just the Wii for $160, which isn't bad, but the other day they were selling the Wii and a "top selling game of your choice" (MG2, for example) for $170. Seems possible they might rotate back to that too, depending on how many they have left in their inventory.

Since there will probably be a Skyward Sword/Motion Plus bundle anyways, this seems like the best way to get a Wii on the cheap.

Darlan on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    target is running buy two games or accesories 39.99 or above and get a 20 $ gift card. right now...

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    target is running buy two games or accesories 39.99 or above and get a 20 $ gift card. right now...

So I can get 2 games AND a few 12 packs of Jones' Soda?!

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm considering Sword of the Stars, though I didn't like the demo too much. It's only $15 for the complete edition.

captaink on
  • Options
    TeeSamTeeSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    I'm considering Sword of the Stars, though I didn't like the demo too much. It's only $15 for the complete edition.

I didn't like the demo -at all-, and bought the complete edition based on the SotS thread OP. It's the best space 4X game I've ever played, and I include my delusionally nostalgiac memories of MOO and MOO2 in that statement.

The real-time combat takes some getting used to, but it delivers--like the rest of the game--when you get used to it.

TeeSam on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    TeeSam wrote: »

I didn't like the demo -at all-, and bought the complete edition based on the SotS thread OP. It's the best space 4X game I've ever played, and I include my delusionally nostalgiac memories of MOO and MOO2 in that statement.

The real-time combat takes some getting used to, but it delivers--like the rest of the game--when you get used to it.

I did buy it, I'm still learning the ropes, but I don't hate it as much as the demo for some reason.

It is an ugly game though, hard to love.

captaink on
  • Options
    TeeSamTeeSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TeeSam wrote: »

I did buy it, I'm still learning the ropes, but I don't hate it as much as the demo for some reason.

It is an ugly game though, hard to love.

The feedback on the real-time combat is all in the graphics. Once you realize how...informative and functional the graphics are, you might change your tune. Also once the fleet sizes get monstrous you'll be more just outright impressed. You also have to admire their balls for making stuff that most consider "basic UI functionality" stuff you have to research. It gives the research so much more depth, but makes for a very bad first impression of the game when you don't realize it. They probably should've made watching a explanatory video mandatory before the first play of the demo/game.

Just so I say something on-topic--Zombie Fort is on sale on D2D for something like $5 ($7? I forget). It's far uglier and wonkier than SotS, though. I won't recommend it, but you can definitely make a case for it having some unique coolness.

TeeSam on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Games days is on at EBgames in Canada. Some pretty good games at a fairly decent price. Got Bayonetta for 30 bucks CAD, Strange Journey at the same (which could've just been a normal price) Nier was deal of the day a week or 2 ago at 45 bucks, Wii Tales of Symphonia is 15 (I think).

And I don't wanna hear any laughing from you Yanks. In Canada we have to take what we can get.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Toys 'r' Us is doing its periodic Buy 1 get 1 50% sale for all video games. This is a good way to pick up new stuff that hasn't been discounted yet. As usual, the cheaper game gets the 50% off.

I'm considering this to get Dragon Quest IX, but I don't really have anything to pair it with.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm updating the OP with my two favorite deals sites.

captaink on
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If we're posting links here's a decent one for us poor canucks.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I will add that as well

captaink on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also, whatever you think of gizmodo's main site, their regular "daily deals" section are a good place to check for video game and technology related sales:

Darlan on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    Also, whatever you think of gizmodo's main site, their regular "daily deals" section are a good place to check for video game and technology related sales:

It's because of them I managed to get the complete Powerpuff Girls 10th Anniversary collection for half price:

$30 instead of $60.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can add video game related hardware right? Even if I can't, you guys might want to check out this deal for the Alienware TactX mouse (which is supposed to be a rebranded Logitech G9x).

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=hotdeals_redhot&redirect=1

$39 is a decent price I'm thinking, especially for Canada.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh hey Assassin's Creed II PC for 15 bucks on amazon. I think it still has that staggeringly piss poor drm, but at about twice the price of a rental it's probably worth it for most people.

http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-2-Pc/dp/B001TOQ8R0

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    If we're posting links here's a decent one for us poor canucks.

Thanks so much, everything with deals seems to completely disregard Canada, and even CAG had ( or maybe still has) some elite group that tries to be like the illuminati of deals.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You must resist. It's kind of crappy.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Renzo wrote: »

I'd still like to play it though.

Maybe I'll just hit up Goozex eventually.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Renzo wrote: »

I'd still like to play it though.

Maybe I'll just hit up Goozex eventually.

Then yeah $20 isn't bad. I really like the art. The battle music is annoying.

Them's the highs and lows, I guess.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    GamersGate is having their summer sale. Not as broad as Steam's, but they do have a somewhat different selection.

http://www.gamersgate.com/summersale

This week is RPG week: Gothic, King's Bounty, Titan Quest, Deus Ex, etc.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Today GamersGate appears to have the THQ complete pack on sale for $50.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-THQCC/thq-complete-collection-bundle

Titan Quest, Dawn of War (no DoWII) Company of Heroes, Stalker, and some other stuff. Depending on how much of this you already own, it can be quite a steal.

captaink on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, that's where this thread went to.

Best Buy's closing out the Splinter Cell and FF13 360 bundles for $300 apiece. They've got the 250GB drive, so that's not shabby at all.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Never heard of Gamer's Gate but those are some damn good deals.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gamer's Gate is good people, I've used them before.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thinking of picking up Mount & Blade.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Just got Mount & Blade, Torchlight and King's Bounty for around 20 bucks off GamersGate. Seems like a good site but I can't find my activation serial for Torchlight.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The Serial Key can be found in the My Games section once you are logged in.
    Go to My Games tab.
    Choose Purchased Games sub-tab

NOTE: not all games require serials in order to play them. If the game requires a serial, but it is not given to you at your game page, contact support@gamersgate.com for help.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    GoGamer MADNESS

http://www.gogamer.com/48-Hour-Madness_stcVVcatId553100VVviewcat.htm?AID=171950&PID=1312731

48 hours only

Alan Wake $30

Mass Effect 2 (PC) $17

Mafia II $50

Several other good deals too

captaink on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Can't believe I forgot to post this before: Roger's Video has had a 50% off all PSP games and consoles going on for a while now, I guess. I've heard this fairly long-running promotion will be over Aug 9th.

No stock on what you want at Rogers? Try getting Futureshop to price beat. A friend of mine and myself have both had luck with the PSP Peacewalker bundle at 100 bucks + change, plus a few games 50% of Futureshops price as well.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you missed that other sale, EA is having another sale on Dragon Age this weekend, $20 for Origins, $22.46 for Awakenings or $36 for both

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Turns out they were selling so much Torchlight they ran out of serials. They requested some more and now I'm happy. Torchlight is pretty ballin.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Oh, that's where this thread went to.

Best Buy's closing out the Splinter Cell and FF13 360 bundles for $300 apiece. They've got the 250GB drive, so that's not shabby at all.

I might snap and buy one. I'm not really a Final Fantasy person but I need a bigger hard drive, and a new controller.

And I want my 360 in White dammit.

Edit: From Amazon:

Get the "Final Fantasy XIII" Limited Edition Bundle, the "Final Fantasy XIII" faceplate, "UFC Undisputed 2010" and "Bioshock 2" all for $299.

Whoa snap.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    http://www.gamersgate.com/summersale

Action Week at GamersGate. Bunch of Painkiller games, Batman, etc.

captaink on
This discussion has been closed.